Pakistan v India

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Shownoja
Egg
Egg
Pakistan v India

Post by Shownoja »

These 2 countries are meeting today in Pakistan for the first time in over 14 years, and what a game of cricket it is proving to be. India scored a mamoth 349 runs in their 50 overs and have now set Pakistan a victory target of 350 @ 7 runs an over. If they make it, they will have set a new world record for a run chhase in a one day international. Very interesting game so far.
To stop trying is to start dying
living
Egg
Egg

Post by living »

pls can u eplain this game to me, its kind of confusing
Things might come to those who wait but only those things left behind by those who hustle-Abraham Lincoln
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

It's what we call a limited overs international. Each team gets 50 over each to bat. Each over consist of 6 balls (deliveries), and the aim for the batsmen is to score as many runs from each over as possible.

A run is when a players who recieves the ball from the bowler(from the opposing team) hits it into the field and runs up to the other end as often as possible before the ball is returned by the fielders (same team as the bowler) to the bowler or keeper.

If the batsman hits the ball all along the ground to hit the boundry rope (the edge of the field) that is counted as 4 automatic runs and he does not have to run all 4. If the batsman hits the ball in the air and it sails over the boundry rope, it is counted as 6 runs and again he does not have to run all 6.

The aim for the other side is to reduce the batsmen to as few runs as possible. This they do by getting their bowlers to get all 11 batsmen out (actually 10 as the 11th cannot bat alone so the game is over when you take 10 wickets).

The methods used by the fielding team to get a batsman out are many. He could be out BOWLED: that is when the bowler bowls and the ball hits the wicket directly (the batsmen stand in front of wickets). The second way is 4 the batsman to be LBW or Leg before wicket. This is a technical out as the judge (umpire) deems that a ball which has hit the batman on his legs(pads) will have gone on to hit the stumps (wickets) had the leg not interfered.

Another way of getting the batsman out is for him to be CAUGHT. This means that the batsman has hit the ball in the air, and one of the fielders from the opposing team has caught the ball before it hits the ground, that batsman in adjudged out.

LAstly a batsman can be out if he threads on his own wicket (stumps). This is usually an unfortunate way to go, as it means the batsman while defending a ball from the bowler jumped back to such a degree as to stepp on his own wicket and dislodge the bails (the bails sit on top of the stumps).

Generally cricket is a very technical game, but once u understand the rules, it is one of the best games in the world. If you need clarification on anything holla at me.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

now cricket is one sport i will never like, then again i said the same thing about Rugby 10 years ago.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Dodo, honestly, if you get into cricket, itis one of the most exciting games ever. The level of skill and thought that goes into it is phenominal.
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

Shownoja wrote:Dodo, honestly, if you get into cricket, itis one of the most exciting games ever. The level of skill and thought that goes into it is phenominal.
I'll take ur word for it :D
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

BTW these 2 teams went for it agan today, and for the second one day international running scored over 600 runs between them today.

Pakistan edged this one though by 13 runs and level the series 1-1 with 3 games left to play.

Wonderful cricket going on all over the world.

In Sri lanka, the Australian Shane Warne and Sri Lankan Murali are going neck and neck in the race to break Courtney Walsh's record of leading wicket taker in "test" cricket. Last week Shane Warne reached the 500 wicket match, and he was promptly matched by murali in the first innings of the second test today. Warne though has gone back in fron and now has 504 wickets by taking three additional wickets in Sri Lanka's first innings today. They seem to be playing on a very bad surface as their have been 17 wickets taken in today's play, which suggests that the wicket has not been well prepared.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Today tedulkar was excellent
but ganguly, dravid and laxman
failed to live up to expection
especially ganguly, he
had problems with the spinners
afridi and malik.
The batting in this series is on
another level :D
but the bowling is crap :oops:
although it is a batting pitch but
the bowler have failed to perform.
I am so happy for murali 500 wickets
although i believe that sharne would
break courltey walsh record, but murali
can go further he is younger and warne
has played 20 more test matches than murali.
Big shout to KALLI five conservatives hope
he can break donald bradman record.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

"They seem to be playing on a very bad surface as their have been 17 wickets taken in today's play, which suggests that the wicket has not been well prepared".[/quote]

i personally think it was prepared in to enable spin
especially murali but they seem to forget sharne :oops:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

"Wonderful cricket going on all over the world"[/quote][/i][/b]

Even the usa qualified was the ICC champions thropy :?
ahead of holland and scotland.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Shownoja wrote:Dodo, honestly, if you get into cricket, itis one of the most exciting games ever. The level of skill and thought that goes into it is phenominal.
one of the most exciting games ever??????

Are we talking about one day or test matches here?
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

One day cricket is very exciting I know, but test cricket also has it's strong points, though I must admit it is a bit drawn out.
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Shownoja wrote:One day cricket is very exciting I know, but test cricket also has it's strong points, though I must admit it is a bit drawn out.
The person who invented Test Cricket needs to be flogged as how you can play over 5 days with no winner beats me. its worse than watching paint dry.
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Haba!!! Test cricket was there even before one day cricket, and it does have it's strong points. You get better more balanced confrontations between bat and ball in test cricket. One day cricket somtimes erodes this beautiful part of the game and gives the batsmen too many advantages. That is why we are seeing these huge one day international scores all over the world.

It seems you enjoy one day cricket, but not test cricket. Guv, have you ever played the game?
Dodo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dodo »

either way i would rather go shopping on Oxford Street on a SATURDAY :mrgreen:
Oba
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Oba »

Just see how India are taking Pakistan to drink Garri in the test series. Na wa o.

I love cricket (to a limited extent) but my main grudge about it is that it takes forever. That's why it can never beat soccer.