FIFA World ranking Nigeria is flirting with the Top 10

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Frenchie
Egg
Egg
FIFA World ranking Nigeria is flirting with the Top 10

Post by Frenchie »

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ ... 06,00.html

Quite surprising, isn't it? To me it is like the worse we play , the poorer our results , the more we get whooped , the more disappointing is the SE... the higher we feature in FIFA world ranking.

Go find an explanation :shock: :shock:
FRENCHIE FOR PRESIDEnT IN 2007
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Very true. All you need is for one of the teams above us to lose and the Eagles win in Maseru and before you know it, we are in the top 10.

How on earth we have been so fortunate is one of the wonders of the world. This is more by default than by design.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I don't get what ur tryin to say are ya saying that we are throwin away our chances of entering the top ten by playin bad cos the only reason we aint tenth is because the gap between us and spain is huge and the updates are two monthly
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Frenchie
Egg
Egg

Post by Frenchie »

tbite wrote:I don't get what ur tryin to say are ya saying that we are throwin away our chances of entering the top ten by playin bad cos the only reason we aint tenth is because the gap between us and spain is huge and the updates are two monthly
My point is that It is hard for me to figure why back then when other teams used to say "we want everybody but Nigeria" i.e. between 94 and 96 Nigeria was only ranked 40. But now people would rather play Nigeria than Iran we are @ spot 11
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Frenchie wrote:
tbite wrote:I don't get what ur tryin to say are ya saying that we are throwin away our chances of entering the top ten by playin bad cos the only reason we aint tenth is because the gap between us and spain is huge and the updates are two monthly
My point is that It is hard for me to figure why back then when other teams used to say "we want everybody but Nigeria" i.e. between 94 and 96 Nigeria was only ranked 40. But now people would rather play Nigeria than Iran we are @ spot 11
We have been very consistent over the last two decades:

1988 ANC - silver
1990 ANC - silver
1992 ANC - bronze
1994 ANC - gold
1996 - Olympic gold
1998 - Second round World Cup, including win over Spain
2000 ANC - silver
2002 ANC - bronze
2004 ANC - bronze
2006 ANC - bronze

All these performances tally up. Shame we are not making the best use of all the talent we have.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GIN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GIN »

frenchie, which of these nations are looking forward to playing nigeria instead of iran?
Samson Siasia speaking FACTs about 2008.
“I have been waiting for this job for almost three years now and that was before the 2008 Beijing Olympics. I was to be the coach of the Super Eagles after the interview conducted for the job. But that time I said no, I wasn’t ready. Now that I am ready, I am not intimidated at all. I am ready for this job,” he declared matter-of-factly" http://africanfootball.mtnfootball.com/ ... m_ID=36099
The Ugandan
Egg
Egg

Post by The Ugandan »

Frenchie wrote:
It's a mystrey. Right up there with the USA ranked 5th in the world before the WC.

A Naija American must have designed the FIFA ranking algorithms.
Frenchie
Egg
Egg

Post by Frenchie »

GIN wrote:frenchie, which of these nations are looking forward to playing nigeria instead of iran?
That was a deliberate exgeration, but truth be told: some years back you couldn't compare Nigeria with e.g Tunisia but right now you can reasonably question which is the better.

Ayo, Olympics gold meadal is not taken into account for the ranking...
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The ranking is heavily weighted on the ANC. All you have to do is look at our position b/w 1996 and 2000. Even though we qualified for the WC we ranked in the 80s because of no ANC.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: FIFA World ranking Nigeria is flirting with the Top 10

Post by anointed »

Frenchie wrote:http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/ ... 06,00.html

Quite surprising, isn't it? To me it is like the worse we play , the poorer our results , the more we get whooped , the more disappointing is the SE... the higher we feature in FIFA world ranking.

If wishes were horses, FIFA ranking should have gotten us a plum ticket to Germany. You better jettison the ranking; football isnt tennis.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
geminikoat
Egg
Egg

Post by geminikoat »

Ayo's facts are always fraught with errors. The last time I checked, we won ANC gold in 94; and we were in the 2nd round of the USA 94 world cup.

Mr journalist please check ur records before rushing to post. Accuracy is key in reporting bro.
...but with God all things are possible...
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Frenchie wrote:
Quite Incorrect.
Nigeria was as high as 5th in may 1994 n the FIFA list.
We were attractive to other nations and were invited by USA (Gold cup) England, Sweden, Romania, Czech etc.

Its wrong to say we are losing games now and remaining that high on the FIFA rankings cos our very own Eguavoen has lost only 1 in 11 matches and has maintained us so high up there.
we might not acknowledge this coa he is IC.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Very true. All you need is for one of the teams above us to lose and the Eagles win in Maseru and before you know it, we are in the top 10.

How on earth we have been so fortunate is one of the wonders of the world. This is more by default than by design.
...and see Poor Ghana...even if dem beat Japan and Koria dem go still dey #55.....it might be becos dem lose to some yeye teams after ANC...I think it was that Togo asswhipping that did them in :D:D
Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

I think we a flirting with 12th position more than the top 10. There's only 4 points between us and Cameroon and almost 100 points between us and 10th placed Spain.

We need some daylight between us and Cameroon.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

A phi wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Frenchie wrote:
We have been very consistent over the last two decades:

1988 ANC - silver
1990 ANC - silver
1992 ANC - bronze
1994 ANC - bronze
1996 - Olympic gold
1998 - Second round World Cup, including win over Spain
2000 ANC - silver
2002 ANC - bronze
2004 ANC - bronze
2006 ANC - bronze

All these performances tally up. Shame we are not making the best use of all the talent we have.

Ayo....i thought u guys won the ANC in 94....and u say u r a green blooded nigerian??? :idea:
Ayo doesn't believe Naija has won somthing. He even struggle to admit the Olympic gold :D :D :D :D
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

Then can you explain why Spain is in the top 10? Am just curious.
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

I ain't gonno quarel with that. We have been short-changed in life enough already and to start going up by any means necessary is all good to me. If only the stupid donkeys in the Glass House could get their priorities right; we would be making every nation shake in their boots again, when they hear "Nigeria". I remember when Brazil and Argentina started taking Nigeria seriously after WC 1994.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Frenchie wrote:
Nigeria was ranked in the top 10 for most of the period you mentioned, so why not get your facts straight first.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

1naija wrote:
Frenchie wrote:
Nigeria was ranked in the top 10 for most of the period you mentioned, so why not get your facts straight first.
True word. We were ranked as high as 5th.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

That was straight after we won the ANC back in April 94, highest Nigeria has ever ranked and higher than mighty cameroon has ever ranked, naijas current squad is not as strong as the 94 team but it's 10 times stronger than the 98 tem it's not imposiblr to get into the top ten and stay there for a while 8-)
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT