Why is Shevchenko struggling to adapt to the Premiership?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Is Chelsea's new boy simply past his best, or are there other reasons for his early-season troubles?

Rob SmythOctober 4, 2006 11:55 AM

At first, it sounds like one of those ubiquitous and annoying riddles that actually has no answer. Marlon King can do it but Andriy Shevchenko can't. Mark Atkins could do it but Juan Veron couldn't. Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp couldn't do it for a couple of months but then did it brilliantly. Robert Pires took a season before he could do it. Shaun Goater did it from the off. Scandinavians generally do it much better than South Americans. What is it?

Hack life in the Premiership, that's what. Seeing a player as good as Shevchenko struggle so badly is startling and excruciating; while English football is clearly a genre unto itself, no genuinely world-class player should be unable to adapt. Yet the reality is that the purchase of foreign players is such an inexact science - even the master, Arsène Wenger, paid good money for the likes of Pascal Cygan, Kaba Diawara and Oleg Luzhny - that, to borrow from William Goldman's treatise on Hollywood, nobody knows anything: why Shevchenko is struggling, when his struggles will end, whether they will end, or why any world-class players would struggle in England. But here are six possible theories.

1. He just needs time

Arguably, it would be more of a surprise if Shevchenko didn't struggle initially. Most of the greatest foreign players have: Dennis Bergkamp did not score until his eighth game for Arsenal, Thierry Henry until his ninth, during which time both were ridiculed by the tabloids, while Eric Cantona was a bit-part player at Leeds for almost a year before moving across the Pennines to find his natural stage. Indeed, the irony of Shevchenko's woes being exacerbated by the blistering form of Didier Drogba, who for two seasons was apparently not cut out for the Premiership, will not be lost on Jose Mourinho. If the good will out, the great - and Shevchenko is certainly that - should have nothing to worry about.

He just needs time. Generally the chief strugglers have been the attackers. More universal footballers such as Claude Makelele, Gabriel Heinze, Sami Hyypia and Peter Schmeichel have found that their job descriptions have changed very little upon arrival in England. Attackers are different, and yet the perception remains that it is defences which need time to gel; that the back four is the great unrotatable of football. In reality it's the opposite: destruction is intrinsically easier than creation, and attacking players need just as much time as defenders to establish rhythms, connection, understanding.

2. He can't handle the muck and bullets

As Roy Keane said, in reference to Veron, the idea that world-class players cannot handle the "muck and bullets" of the Premiership is nonsense. The notion that English football is too fast, that foreigners don't like it up 'em, is a grotesque oversimplification borne of an almost colonial contempt. If it was as simple as that, England could pick the Watford team and rule the waves. The Premiership is certainly more robust than most leagues, and British beef is not to everyone's taste, but the success of pint-sized technicians like Juninho and Gianfranco Zola suggests it is a long way from being a determining factor. Besides, the likes of Paolo Montero were hardly treading on eggshells while trying to stop Shevchenko in his Serie A days.

3. It's all in his head

Many of the Premiership's greatest flops - Veron, Diego Forlan, Serhiy Rebrov, Albert Luque - have been meek, diffident characters; fairweather friends who squeeze tight to the smooth and recoil at the rough. The same can be said of José Antonio Reyes: he was not so much kicked out of football by the Neville brothers as kicked out of playing his normal game. As his ankles were bitten, so his toes stopped twinkling. Contrast that with Cristiano Ronaldo, who has the mental courage and self-belief to keep knocking at the door no matter how many times he is told where to go.

Reyes and Veron, like Ian Rush when he went to Italy, also exhibited classic symptoms of homesickness. Sometimes, playing football abroad really is like being in a foreign country. Or a player might suffer from personal problems - things which do not relate directly to the job but which impinge significantly upon it. Sometimes, it really can be something as ostensibly straightforward as that: sometimes, for no apparent reason, you get bad vibes which never quite go away. But the fact that Shevchenko, and his wife Kristen Pazik, has occupied as many column inches in the gossip sections of the tabloids as the sports pages suggests that life in London suits him just fine.

4. He is being misused tactically

There is significant precedent here: Veron was signed on a whim in 2001 by an excitable manager who suddenly had money to burn (Ferguson's principal target that summer was Patrick Vieira, an entirely different type of central midfielder) and many feel his failure was down to mismanagement. Hindsight shows he was a poor signing in the first place - United's orchestral midfield had room for only one conductor, the peerless Keane - and then, upon realizing that problem, Ferguson tried to get round it by shunting Veron onto the right of midfield.

In many senses, Veron was a Championship Manager purchase, bought for who he was and what he represented rather than after a conclusive analysis of how he might fit into the team. The same applies to Luque, Rebrov and Kleberson, who were all bought without a specific role in mind. Contrast that with Wenger, who watches players dozens and dozens of times to appraise exactly how they will fit into his team.

There are concerns that Shevchenko, like Veron, is in the wrong place at the right time; that he was bought on status, this time by an excitable owner with money to burn. At Milan he was drip-fed chances by a phalanx of seductively brilliant midfield craftsmen: Andrea Pirlo, Kaka, Clarence Seedorf, Rui Costa. At Chelsea he is more likely to be feeding off long passes from Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack or scavenging for knockdowns from Didier Drogba. Worse still, he is sometimes being used as the nominal wide-right in a 4-3-3 formation, as grotesque a misuse of a natural predator since Johan Cruyff tried to convert Gary Lineker into a total footballer by dumping him on the right wing at Barcelona in 1988.

5. He's out of form

Simple as that. Like Wayne Rooney, Shevchenko hasn't quite recovered from a pre-World Cup injury and his rust is compounding the inevitable teething problems of moving to a new culture, a new club and a new style of play. This is a man who scored 127 goals in 207 games in Serie A, the most sophisticated defensive institution in world football. Once he finds his form and rhythm, the Premiership should be easy pickings.

6. He's past it

Don't be silly.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Ilerika
Egg
Egg

Post by Ilerika »

I will go with #4 as the main reason. This Chelsea team lack a

playmaker in the mould of Okocha, Kaka or Ronaldinho. Essien

Lampard and Ballack are too rigid and more defensive minded.

I think Joe Cole or JMO might make a difference.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

yawwwwwn
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

The man is useless. If he was a non-nigerian african, folks like g4l and kc2g would have their daggers drawn and ready to stab him in the back viciously. Disgusting!

The bottomline is the guy is overrated! :lol:
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

YUJAM wrote:The man is useless. If he was a non-nigerian african, folks like g4l and kc2g would have their daggers drawn and ready to stab him in the back viciously. Disgusting!

:D :D :D :D :D :D
KPOM!
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Andriy Shevchenko has blamed World Cup fatigue for his disappointing performances for Chelsea. The striker led Ukraine to the quarter-finals in Germany, but claimed the experience has left him worn out.

The £31million (45 million euro) signing from Milan has scored just two goals this season, and has now gone seven games without hitting the net. He has been bed-ridden by a fever and is a doubt for Saturday's Euro 2008 qualifier against Italy, and admitted this is a difficult time for him.

"You get high points and low points in your life," he said. "In addition, when I arrived I was tired from playing at the World Cup.

"And, right now, I feel really bad. I have been in bed with a high fever that has meant even speaking is painful for me.

"The doctors told me I have picked up a viral infection. I began having problems when I arrived in Kiev for the Ukraine team's get-together.

"I don't yet know if I will miss the game against Italy, as the doctor's won't commit themselves, but my fever has continued to rise."

Eurosport - Alex Chick - 06/10/2006 12:32
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Ilerika wrote:I will go with #4 as the main reason. This Chelsea team lack a

Lampard 15 goals a season is defensive....i've heard it all!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

YUJAM wrote:The man is useless. If he was a non-nigerian african, folks like g4l and kc2g would have their daggers drawn and ready to stab him in the back viciously. Disgusting!

The guy has proven himself in the toughest leagues in this world, and in the best competition in club football, led his country to the world cup, got them to the second round, I mean what else is there for him to prove unlike some other players (Drogba for example) who hadn't proven anywhere near as much as Shevy has. Beside, were you not the one that was calling for patience with Drogba that its his first season, now its a white cat who is in Drogbas place and the knives are out! Come on men!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Skylolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Skylolo »

YUJAM wrote: The bottomline is the guy is overrated! :lol:
The same way you are a overrated Armchair analyst.... :twisted:
To God be the glory
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

I remember when u used 2 defend dd... relax and give sheva time.
Killa Adjei
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Killa Adjei »

We have given him enough time, where are the goals.
We are the centre of the pitch, we are precise, we are our effort, we are attackers who defend, we are defenders who attack, we are respected by our rivals, we are recognised by our rivals, we are every goal that we score, we are those who always look for our opponent's goal, WE ARE ONE.

Pep Guardiola To Barca Before CL Final
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Killa Adjei wrote:We have given him enough time, where are the goals.
if u saw dd 2 yrs ago at da bridge u 4 weep. yujam wuz his 1 man fan then. it wasn`t a pretty sight. kool down.
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

maceo4 wrote:
Ilerika wrote:I will go with #4 as the main reason. This Chelsea team lack a

Lampard 15 goals a season is defensive....i've heard it all!
As far as i am concerned Lampard is like an Oruma, he doesn't really bring his strikers into the game, watch kaka and Pirlo, there is no comparisim.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
Ilerika
Egg
Egg

Post by Ilerika »

Lampard is not a playmaker in any sense. Robben is a good player

but a one-man band and a bit late in releasing passes.

Chelsea need a clever playmaker who can deliver killer passes to

the boys upfront
12LION
Egg
Egg

Post by 12LION »

He is way over paid. Where is the time to practise and enjoy all that money. People with that type of money don't work, and he knows it.
PEACE!!!
12lion
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I think we should start taking bets on what gameweek Sheva will score his next goal. I say week 19th ballpark. :lol:
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mlkama
Egg
Egg
Re: Why is Shevchenko struggling to adapt to the Premiership

Post by mlkama »

I don't think he will take 2 years to adjust, like DD. Give him time.
Vincent. wrote:Why is Shevchenko struggling to adapt to the Premiership?

Is Chelsea's new boy simply past his best, or are there other reasons for his early-season troubles?

Rob SmythOctober 4, 2006 11:55 AM

At first, it sounds like one of those ubiquitous and annoying riddles that actually has no answer. Marlon King can do it but Andriy Shevchenko can't. Mark Atkins could do it but Juan Veron couldn't. Thierry Henry and Dennis Bergkamp couldn't do it for a couple of months but then did it brilliantly. Robert Pires took a season before he could do it. Shaun Goater did it from the off. Scandinavians generally do it much better than South Americans. What is it?

Hack life in the Premiership, that's what. Seeing a player as good as Shevchenko struggle so badly is startling and excruciating; while English football is clearly a genre unto itself, no genuinely world-class player should be unable to adapt. Yet the reality is that the purchase of foreign players is such an inexact science - even the master, Arsène Wenger, paid good money for the likes of Pascal Cygan, Kaba Diawara and Oleg Luzhny - that, to borrow from William Goldman's treatise on Hollywood, nobody knows anything: why Shevchenko is struggling, when his struggles will end, whether they will end, or why any world-class players would struggle in England. But here are six possible theories.

1. He just needs time

Arguably, it would be more of a surprise if Shevchenko didn't struggle initially. Most of the greatest foreign players have: Dennis Bergkamp did not score until his eighth game for Arsenal, Thierry Henry until his ninth, during which time both were ridiculed by the tabloids, while Eric Cantona was a bit-part player at Leeds for almost a year before moving across the Pennines to find his natural stage. Indeed, the irony of Shevchenko's woes being exacerbated by the blistering form of Didier Drogba, who for two seasons was apparently not cut out for the Premiership, will not be lost on Jose Mourinho. If the good will out, the great - and Shevchenko is certainly that - should have nothing to worry about.

He just needs time. Generally the chief strugglers have been the attackers. More universal footballers such as Claude Makelele, Gabriel Heinze, Sami Hyypia and Peter Schmeichel have found that their job descriptions have changed very little upon arrival in England. Attackers are different, and yet the perception remains that it is defences which need time to gel; that the back four is the great unrotatable of football. In reality it's the opposite: destruction is intrinsically easier than creation, and attacking players need just as much time as defenders to establish rhythms, connection, understanding.

2. He can't handle the muck and bullets

As Roy Keane said, in reference to Veron, the idea that world-class players cannot handle the "muck and bullets" of the Premiership is nonsense. The notion that English football is too fast, that foreigners don't like it up 'em, is a grotesque oversimplification borne of an almost colonial contempt. If it was as simple as that, England could pick the Watford team and rule the waves. The Premiership is certainly more robust than most leagues, and British beef is not to everyone's taste, but the success of pint-sized technicians like Juninho and Gianfranco Zola suggests it is a long way from being a determining factor. Besides, the likes of Paolo Montero were hardly treading on eggshells while trying to stop Shevchenko in his Serie A days.

3. It's all in his head

Many of the Premiership's greatest flops - Veron, Diego Forlan, Serhiy Rebrov, Albert Luque - have been meek, diffident characters; fairweather friends who squeeze tight to the smooth and recoil at the rough. The same can be said of José Antonio Reyes: he was not so much kicked out of football by the Neville brothers as kicked out of playing his normal game. As his ankles were bitten, so his toes stopped twinkling. Contrast that with Cristiano Ronaldo, who has the mental courage and self-belief to keep knocking at the door no matter how many times he is told where to go.

Reyes and Veron, like Ian Rush when he went to Italy, also exhibited classic symptoms of homesickness. Sometimes, playing football abroad really is like being in a foreign country. Or a player might suffer from personal problems - things which do not relate directly to the job but which impinge significantly upon it. Sometimes, it really can be something as ostensibly straightforward as that: sometimes, for no apparent reason, you get bad vibes which never quite go away. But the fact that Shevchenko, and his wife Kristen Pazik, has occupied as many column inches in the gossip sections of the tabloids as the sports pages suggests that life in London suits him just fine.

4. He is being misused tactically

There is significant precedent here: Veron was signed on a whim in 2001 by an excitable manager who suddenly had money to burn (Ferguson's principal target that summer was Patrick Vieira, an entirely different type of central midfielder) and many feel his failure was down to mismanagement. Hindsight shows he was a poor signing in the first place - United's orchestral midfield had room for only one conductor, the peerless Keane - and then, upon realizing that problem, Ferguson tried to get round it by shunting Veron onto the right of midfield.

In many senses, Veron was a Championship Manager purchase, bought for who he was and what he represented rather than after a conclusive analysis of how he might fit into the team. The same applies to Luque, Rebrov and Kleberson, who were all bought without a specific role in mind. Contrast that with Wenger, who watches players dozens and dozens of times to appraise exactly how they will fit into his team.

There are concerns that Shevchenko, like Veron, is in the wrong place at the right time; that he was bought on status, this time by an excitable owner with money to burn. At Milan he was drip-fed chances by a phalanx of seductively brilliant midfield craftsmen: Andrea Pirlo, Kaka, Clarence Seedorf, Rui Costa. At Chelsea he is more likely to be feeding off long passes from Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack or scavenging for knockdowns from Didier Drogba. Worse still, he is sometimes being used as the nominal wide-right in a 4-3-3 formation, as grotesque a misuse of a natural predator since Johan Cruyff tried to convert Gary Lineker into a total footballer by dumping him on the right wing at Barcelona in 1988.

5. He's out of form

Simple as that. Like Wayne Rooney, Shevchenko hasn't quite recovered from a pre-World Cup injury and his rust is compounding the inevitable teething problems of moving to a new culture, a new club and a new style of play. This is a man who scored 127 goals in 207 games in Serie A, the most sophisticated defensive institution in world football. Once he finds his form and rhythm, the Premiership should be easy pickings.

6. He's past it

Don't be silly.
Waffiman wrote: PS: Milla couldn't hold a candle to Manga Onguene or Theophile "Docteur" Abega .
Field Marshall Ogolo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Field Marshall Ogolo »

12LION wrote:He is way over paid. Where is the time to practise and enjoy all that money. People with that type of money don't work, and he knows it.
PEACE!!!
12lion
You cannot teach an old dawg new tricks!
I never LOSE, I either WIN or LEARN. – Nelson Mandela
murcie
Egg
Egg

Post by murcie »

give him time and you'll see milans midfield is not all that its too narrow but then all they have are two attackin an two defensive midfielders. by the way kaka is too selfish. but then thats just my opinion
God wills, man dreams, the work is born. - Nando Pessoa
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

The guy will come good - its just a matter of time. In fact unlike most Serie A players he is BETTER equipepd to cope here: he is quick, physically very strong, huge endurance and he has always played hard defence from the front.

This is all tabloid hype: the guy will come good in time.
"Jose Mourinho favoured directness and used to throw Robert Huth or John Terry up front when Chelsea were chasing the game, a ploy associated with the industrial era of English football management."
- The Guardian UK, November 26, 2007
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

maceo4 wrote:

The guy has proven himself in the toughest leagues in this world, and in the best competition in club football, led his country to the world cup, got them to the second round, I mean what else is there for him to prove unlike some other players (Drogba for example) who hadn't proven anywhere near as much as Shevy has. Beside, were you not the one that was calling for patience with Drogba that its his first season, now its a white cat who is in Drogbas place and the knives are out! Come on men!
What gets me is how we can excuse Shev for his poor goal record since moving to Chelsea but yab Kanu when he was struggling to find his form. This site get some real colo mentalised dudes.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Ziontrain
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ziontrain »

cchinukw wrote:[
What gets me is how we can excuse Shev for his poor goal record since moving to Chelsea but yab Kanu when he was struggling to find his form. This site get some real colo mentalised dudes.
Kanu moved to premiership like almost a decade ago - and I dont remember any SE criticising him then. Do you?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The fella just needs some more time to adapt 8-)
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT