Desperate for help

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ekene
Egg
Egg
Desperate for help

Post by ekene »

Im 16 years old and a big fan of nigerian football. I was born in London and would love to play for the nigerian national team.
Im just seeking advise on how to make it in football and what step to make.I know im good because alot of people told me and asked me to try out for teams but i have also been told that i have past the age for sunday league football.Some people say its to late for me to be thinking about football with my age what do you guys think.
My Guys
ImageAghawonder
Image AkonaUche
ImageNsofority
ImageTERMINATOR

Whos Yours?
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147288
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Mr Okoli, are you sure you can cope with football politics of Nigeria?
Last edited by Sir V on Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Desperate for help

Post by anointed »

ekene wrote:Im 16 years old and a big fan of nigerian football... but i have also been told that i have past the age for sunday league football.Some people say its to late for me to be thinking about football with my age what do you guys think.
You sound more like 61 rather than 16. If you're really 16 and you're really good, then the world is at your feet. You know I'm almost twice as old as you, meaning there's no amount of training and prayer I can do that would make me play football at any level other than Sunday football. In fact I still play Sunday footbal for the fun and sweat of it but at times I feel I should have taken football more seriously at your age cos of the mega bucks that go along with the trade these days. Jusy ask JJ Okocha.

As early as mid 80s to early 90s, football was for riff raffs, drop outs and their likes, and we were thought the art of making the beautiful game a pariah. You know if only the likes of Pele had listened too...there would just have been an Abedi Ayew and never an Abedi Pele.

Don't let ppl (or even injury) discourage you about your age. Age is very much on your side.

BTW, what exactly have you done in football? I mean you are not a starter. You should have some basic skills by now. You should have a club too even if you are in Nigeria. If you are still in London, it's better for you to join the junior team of one of the pro clubs with a view to graduating to the senior team in the next couple of years.

It's from a pro club like that you can be noticed by the national team selectors of Nigeria. A gold fish has no hiding place.

If you are in Nigeria, where leraning is ineffable, it's a little bit more difficult cos to play for a Nigerian club means you'd have to forget about post secondary education for now. Very few players make the grade trying to do the 2 2gether. I know some players do but I once heard a story about Emmanuel Olisadebe at Unilorin where he had more carry overs than Nigeria has universities. He abandoned the course any way and he took up Polish citizenship and has already played in the WC.

In any case you might have to break into a foreign club to be noticed. This has been the case with JJ, Obafemi Martins, Abbey George and Rueben Agboola who, like you, wasn't born in Nigeria. As a matter of fact the first time he came to Nigeria was for a game btw Nigeria and B.Faso (not sure).

If you really want to don the GWG of SE, just be ready to be better than what you're currently doing.

You can still make it cos you are certainly too young for Sunday football.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

I guess you are in London, right? My advice is to join one of the youth teams in England. Arsenal and ManU have very good programmes and it might be your best prospect to try out there.

Another option is to have an agent. The good thing about having an agent is this person will do all the leg work for you. He will search for clubs that you can tryout with, create a profile of your career, and where necessary help you negotiate your contract. If you are very good and show potential, the agent can personally foot all your expenses like travel, boarding, and feeding, which you might not be financially capable of handling. The only down side to this is you might have to sign a contract that will essentially pay the agent up to half of any money you make when you sign a professional contract.

There are some members on the forum that can give you a guiding hand and I will suggest you try to hook up with any of them for advice. I will recommend the following to you:
Larry Ashagbe
Waffiman
Ayo Akinfe
Gotti

Good luck and hopefully you will be CE's first true professional.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

Anybody who tells u that u are too old, does not like you.

Take IAG's advice, join one of the youth teams in London. Also PM AyoAkinfe, Larry to aid u. Please stay away from Waffi. i dont want to see u at #$%-nal.

Look Ekene. Hakeem Olajunwon started playing basketball at a very late age. Look at him now, he i said to be one of the greatest the game has seen.
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

kaycee2g, i beg to differ. Anyone who tells him that he's too old is merely being realistic. Becoming a professional footballer, when you only started at 16 is very unlikely. Even if you've been playing football for years - if you havent been scouted by 16, then its probably never gonna happen. Let alone if you only start playing competitive football at 16.
Its a Goal
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Its a Goal »

Eagle Winged, one does not have to play football at the top level to have a career in football. If the kid is good enough to play for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd division team, there is every possibility that he could end up playing at the highest level if he keeps working on his game and skill. At the end of the day it is his talent that will take far or stay stuck.
2 of the finest indigenous coaches Nigeria ever had lost in a space of 4 days. Dear Lord, is this a sign that you are taking away from us what we failed to appreciate? I pray for forgiveness of our sins. I pray for the humility to recognize our wrongs and the humbleness and wisdom to right our ways.

REST IN PEACE COACH STEPHEN KESHI!!! REST IN PEACE COACH AMODU SHAIBU!!!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Its a Goal wrote:I guess you are in London, right? My advice is to join one of the youth teams in England. Arsenal and ManU have very good programmes and it might be your best prospect to try out there.

Another option is to have an agent. The good thing about having an agent is this person will do all the leg work for you. He will search for clubs that you can tryout with, create a profile of your career, and where necessary help you negotiate your contract. If you are very good and show potential, the agent can personally foot all your expenses like travel, boarding, and feeding, which you might not be financially capable of handling. The only down side to this is you might have to sign a contract that will essentially pay the agent up to half of any money you make when you sign a professional contract.

There are some members on the forum that can give you a guiding hand and I will suggest you try to hook up with any of them for advice. I will recommend the following to you:
Larry Ashagbe
Waffiman
Ayo Akinfe
Gotti

Good luck and hopefully you will be CE's first true professional.
IAG which ones? If you're sending him to Gotti, make sure you send him with a dictionary and thesaurus if not he's only going to come out more confused than he went in.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

theYemster wrote: IAG which ones? If you're sending him to Gotti, make sure you send him with a dictionary and thesaurus if not he's only going to come out more confused than he went in.
YEMI (pun intended):
I see that you are still permanently confused.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ..This Gotti sef :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

EW, pls thats bull sh*t. PPl like JaYJay, were they playing professionally at 16?????

Look at my example, Hakeem Olajuwon started late, and look at him today.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gotti wrote:
theYemster wrote: IAG which ones? If you're sending him to Gotti, make sure you send him with a dictionary and thesaurus if not he's only going to come out more confused than he went in.
YEMI (pun intended):
I see that you are still permanently confused.
That's redundant pal.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Ekene, PM me. If you are good I would suggest that you start on the long road of apprenticeship and earn your dues. Fitness is key, and cross training (karate/kung fu, gymnastics and jump rope) will give you an edge.

In all seriousness jump rope exercises (in place jog, two foot jog, forward jog, backward jog, one foot hop etc), combined with regular training on a good youth team will get you a look if you are serious.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Ekene, when you make it and by mistake decide to play for England, I will personally hunt you down.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

kaycee2g, Eagle Winged, yes, most players are with a club before they are 16 but it's still possible to get one after 16.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ekene if you are that good, PM me. I can arrange for you to play at a pitch off Trafalgar Rd in Camberwell on Saturday. Agents and scouts come there and if you are as good as you claim to be, we can get you a trial at say a Rymans League team.

From there onwards, quality shines through. If you can convince these guys that you are the real deal, you will be playing Premiership football very soon.
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

theYemster wrote: That's redundant pal.
It was meant to be, pal!
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

kaycee2g wrote:EW, pls thats bull sh*t. PPl like JaYJay, were they playing professionally at 16?????

Look at my example, Hakeem Olajuwon started late, and look at him today.
Okocha and Olajuwon are exceptions. Exceptions because their talent was so great and they had fortune on their side.
Most professional footballers - whether it be EPL, 1st, 2nd or 3rd Division will have been scouted by 16. Thats the way it is here.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Olajuwon was 7 ft, he played a position in Bball - center - that does not require as much skills as guard, forward etc. He was able to suceed because of his size, athletism and strength. Having said that at 16 he can still do it.

If i followed my dreams instead of chasing yeye degrees all over the place I for be multi-millionaire NBA player. Instead man jus day infront of PC 24-7 dey work some yeye job and Queen jus dey collect her money in form of tax everymonth.

My guy follow your instincts don't let people discourage you ohhh!!