Soccer Gurus, A look down memory lane..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Hard Man

Post by Hard Man »

1983 team: controlled pace of game, kept ball on ground, moved around and passed the ball. Outplayed by Holland, but drew 0-0, beat Russia. Supremely talented: Siasia, Okorowanta, Agbonavbare, Ehilegbu, Okoku, Sofoluwe, Edobor, Akinlotan, Olukanmi (S), Olukanmi (F), Anigala, Otti, Jeje, Disu ... the bulk of them progressed to the Green Eagles, and as early as 1984, Ehilegbu, Sofoluwe and others were playing for Nigeria in the Nations Cup Final, a young, inexperienced side but supremely talented.

The 1985 team: spearheaded by killer scorer Monday Odiaka, with Agu, Eke, Onye, Uwe, Osaro Obabaifo (RIP), Igbinabaro, Adeleye, Siasia, Anunobi, had a steely streak that the 1983 side lacked. They were skilful, well-coached (Paul Hamilton), and challenged by the Eaglets' earlier World Cup wining feat. Psychologically, they were determined to win, and they had the confidence that the 1983 side, being debutants at that level, perhaps lacked.

The 1987 team was also talented; but flawed selections and deployments were its achilles' heel. Ladi Babalola with Ahmed Abdullahi --2 sweepers, however classy, paired in central defense-- was never going to work, and Brazil, Italy and Canada all demonstrated that fact; while up front Lawrenec Ukaegbu, who scored nothing in the qualifiers, continued firing blanks. Apart from that, individual players like Etim Esin, Nosa Osadolor, Thompson Oliha and Adeolu Adekola did themselves justice.

The 1989 team was, from a purist's perspective, the worst in cohesion terms. Harum scarum football was their hallmark, and the FIFA technical gurus were never able to figure out how they drew level from 0-4 down to Russia with 30 minutes to go! But they had some really exquisite players, like Mutiu, Ohenhen, Dimeji Lawal, Bawa Abdullahi, Christopher Nwosu. The likes of Sam Elijah, Charity Ikhidero (RIP), Jimoh Balogun came with considerable experience.

My all-time favorite are the 1985 team; followed closely by the 1983 side.
furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

1983 team: controlled pace of game, kept ball on ground, moved around and passed the ball. Outplayed by Holland, but drew 0-0, beat Russia. Supremely talented: Siasia, Okorowanta, Agbonavbare, Ehilegbu, Okoku, Sofoluwe, Edobor, Akinlotan, Olukanmi (S), Olukanmi (F), Anigala, Otti, Jeje, Disu ... the bulk of them progressed to the Green Eagles, and as early as 1984, Ehilegbu, Sofoluwe and others were playing for Nigeria in the Nations Cup Final, a young, inexperienced side but supremely talented.
That team contains some of the best talents out of Naija, if only they had exposures to a good foreign coach, it would have made all the difference...not that Udemezue didn't try his best...but we all know Naija technical know how then is limited...
"That Justice is a blind goddess
Is a thing to which we blacks are wise.
Her bandage hides two festering sores
That once perhaps were eyes."
Langston Hughes, 1923
Hard Man

Post by Hard Man »

furiously frank wrote: That team contains some of the best talents out of Naija, if only they had exposures to a good foreign coach, it would have made all the difference...not that Udemezue didn't try his best...but we all know Naija technical know how then is limited...
You can say that again ... they showed the depth of their quality with the way they neatly disposed of fellow qualifiers Ivory Coast. Verve, panache and ruthlessness combined! Of course they went to Mexico not believing they could do much considering the antecedents of other African teams hitherto ... and they could have done more with much more belie fin themselves.
Toxicarrow
Egg
Egg

Post by Toxicarrow »

furiously frank wrote:
That team contains some of the best talents out of Naija, if only they had exposures to a good foreign coach, it would have made all the difference...not that Udemezue didn't try his best...but we all know Naija technical know how then is limited...
Haba....Which kinda jargons you dey talk, Oga FF? If "Naja technical know how then is limited", how come FIFA wrote this about Nigerian team in the 1985 edition:
Tactical know-how and mental resolve helped make Nigeria the first ever African side to reach the semi-final stage in this tournament. Paul Hamilton's men adapted their 4-3-3 formation to each game, including a gritty fight-back from two goals down against Australia to win 3-2. The Flying Eagles' boldest performance came against Mexico, when, full of running, they edged out the much fancied Tricolores by the slimmest of margins (2-1). SOURCE: FIFA NEWS
Check out Sooting's website:
https://shootingstarssc.com/
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Cheii nice one and i go come back come add more juice to this thread. Cheii memories... :o :)
Soldier of Fortune...
fatty
Egg
Egg

Post by fatty »

Hard Man wrote:1983 team: controlled pace of game, kept ball on ground, moved around and passed the ball. Outplayed by Holland, but drew 0-0, beat Russia. Supremely talented: Siasia, Okorowanta, Agbonavbare, Ehilegbu, Okoku, Sofoluwe, Edobor, Akinlotan, Olukanmi (S), Olukanmi (F), Anigala, Otti, Jeje, Disu ... the bulk of them progressed to the Green Eagles, and as early as 1984, Ehilegbu, Sofoluwe and others were playing for Nigeria in the Nations Cup Final, a young, inexperienced side but supremely talented.

The 1985 team: spearheaded by killer scorer Monday Odiaka, with Agu, Eke, Onye, Uwe, Osaro Obabaifo (RIP), Igbinabaro, Adeleye, Siasia, Anunobi, had a steely streak that the 1983 side lacked. They were skilful, well-coached (Paul Hamilton), and challenged by the Eaglets' earlier World Cup wining feat. Psychologically, they were determined to win, and they had the confidence that the 1983 side, being debutants at that level, perhaps lacked.

The 1987 team was also talented; but flawed selections and deployments were its achilles' heel. Ladi Babalola with Ahmed Abdullahi --2 sweepers, however classy, paired in central defense-- was never going to work, and Brazil, Italy and Canada all demonstrated that fact; while up front Lawrenec Ukaegbu, who scored nothing in the qualifiers, continued firing blanks. Apart from that, individual players like Etim Esin, Nosa Osadolor, Thompson Oliha and Adeolu Adekola did themselves justice.

The 1989 team was, from a purist's perspective, the worst in cohesion terms. Harum scarum football was their hallmark, and the FIFA technical gurus were never able to figure out how they drew level from 0-4 down to Russia with 30 minutes to go! But they had some really exquisite players, like Mutiu, Ohenhen, Dimeji Lawal, Bawa Abdullahi, Christopher Nwosu. The likes of Sam Elijah, Charity Ikhidero (RIP), Jimoh Balogun came with considerable experience.

My all-time favorite are the 1985 team; followed closely by the 1983 side.
You said it all, I really enjoy your piece
From green to super, eagles are soaring to Golden.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

MI5 and Gotti????????????

MI5:

come on, what did Gotti say to warrant insults? Cant we just all get along? All he did was disagree with your opinions! :(
Last edited by Chief Ogbunigwe on Wed May 12, 2004 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

I only saw the 1983 and '85 teams. Well said, nothing to add. The '85 boys were my favorite. kai, come see Igbinabaro, Obabaifo (RIP), Anunobi and of course, Okosieme! Who remembers how they demolished Cameroon 5-1 after losing 0-3 in Yaounde? And of course, Christian Obi who stood between the Soviets and Bronze Medals? I believe that team was captained by Uwe. And I remember the late Ernest Okonkwo chastising Kingsley Onye "Kingsley Onye is a foolish boy" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: during the match vs Australia where we needed a draw to move on, but conceded 2 quick goals. We later nacked them 3 more sha.

And Waidi Akanni was good too!
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

1983 team: controlled pace of game, kept ball on ground, moved around and passed the ball. Outplayed by Holland, but drew 0-0, beat Russia. Supremely talented: Siasia, Okorowanta, Agbonavbare, Ehilegbu, Okoku, Sofoluwe, Edobor, Akinlotan, Olukanmi (S), Olukanmi (F), Anigala, Otti, Jeje, Disu ...
Any relation to our Gotti?
AFCON 2019 sweet o

wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

When you look at the 1983 team and the hope that they represent, you feel bad thet we do not have professional football in Nigeria then. Quite a number of the players decided to go to svhool and further their education. That robbed Nigeria of the talents.

For me, the 1983 team was the best. They had all it takes. However, being the first time, they unfortunatley crashed out in the first round.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Gotti

Post by Gotti »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:MI5 and Gotti????????????

MI5:

come on, what did Gotti say to warrant insults? Cant we just all get along? All he did was disagree with your opinions! :(
OGBUNIGWE:
Apparently "pessimism" is now a curse word or some kind of insult.

Anyway, as I had previously told GBENGA on another thread, I pointedly refuse to rise to his bait. Nevertheless, it did not escape my attention that the cabal of Hypocritical Indignants have assidiously kept mute as usual -- until I choose to RESPOND in kind.
khalela

Post by khalela »

Chief Ogbunigwe,
Please remove that avatar.You are scaring some of us here!!!!
Hard Man

Post by Hard Man »

Chief Ogbunigwe,
thanks for this nice reminder ... looks like something will hit the forum in July or thereabouts, to be called "Memory Match" .. featuring Flying Eagles' "cataclysmic" victories, including the "Miracle of Damman", Mexico in 1985, 5-1 versus Cameroon Lionceux (forcing Emile Mbouh's "tell the Flying Eagles 'bonjour', we are here to complete our qualification" which he uttered before reporters on arrival at MMA down his throat).

Bottom-line, the Nigeria team of the early to mid 1980's was the Flying Eagles rather than the then-called "Papa Eegus", and their game spilled over with thrills, spills and chills. :D :D :D

Yup, Uwe skippered the 1985 squad.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

I only saw the 1983 and '85 teams. Well said, nothing to add. The '85 boys were my favorite. kai, come see Igbinabaro, Obabaifo (RIP), Anunobi and of course, Okosieme! Who remembers how they demolished Cameroon 5-1 after losing 0-3 in Yaounde? And of course, Christian Obi who stood between the Soviets and Bronze Medals? I believe that team was captained by Uwe. And I remember the late Ernest Okonkwo chastising Kingsley Onye "Kingsley Onye is a foolish boy" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: during the match vs Australia where we needed a draw to move on, but conceded 2 quick goals. We later nacked them 3 more sha.

And Waidi Akanni was good too!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Chief Ogbunigwe,

Goatti deserves all the insults that he gets from me. This is not about disagreeing with what i said. This #$%$ thought he could smear me on CE.

MI5:

Last edited by MI5 on Thu May 13, 2004 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

George Goatti,

Those who live in a glass house should not throw stones. That shouldn't be hard for you to understand...

Gotti wrote:

MI5:

OGBUNIGWE:
Apparently "pessimism" is now a curse word or some kind of insult.

Anyway, as I had previously told GBENGA on another thread, I pointedly refuse to rise to his bait. Nevertheless, it did not escape my attention that the cabal of Hypocritical Indignants have assidiously kept mute as usual -- until I choose to RESPOND in kind.
Soldier of Fortune...
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

I am sorry guys, I cannot debate with you guys when it comes to naija soccer between 1983-1992, I was not in Nigeria during this period.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Africana
Egg
Egg

Post by Africana »

1985 side, hands down.

By no means the most talented, but they had enough determination and confidence to make whatever they had count. The did not dribble unecessarily, did not pass sideways and did not showboat--just business,

---------------------.S. Siasia------M. Odiaka-------------------

M. Anunobi-------W. Akani------A. Ibinabaro-----O. Obabaifo

K. Onye (Mature)------A. Uwe-----M. Odu----G. Eke

-------------------------A. Agu--------------------

Corrections:
1. Okon Ene was in the ’87, not ’85, team. The guys in the heart of the midfield were Waidi Akani, Augustine Ibinabaro and Osaro Obobaifo.
2. Okosieme was on the bench and came in as Odiaka’s replacement in our last match.
3. The team was so good that the Ethiopians literally panel-beat the players in their last qualifying match in Addis Ababa.

The 1987 side had so much talent and they played "champaigne soccer." They had extremely skillful players, notably Etim Esin, Nosa Osadolor, Adeolu Adekola, and Okon Ene. Ladi Babalola has been one of the most skillful and most flexible central defender I have seen in Nigerian colors--made the ball speak his language. The team also had Nduka Ugbade and Peter Ogaba (both from the golden U-17 side of '85. Their problen, I think, was their tendency to lose concentration at crucial junctures.
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Sir V,

Kaii you missed one of the best decades of Naija futbol at it's highest peak when we were clicking on all cylinders at all levels. Home, Away, abroad, Continental competitions in the whole Africa. Beating everyone left and right.

1988 was our best year ever when we made to the finals of the ANC, African Champions Cup, Cup winners cup and WAFU Cup. Unfortunately we lost all four cupsn to different teams. Cheii very painful but you had to admire our futbol then for reaching that level.

I don't think our soccer will ever reach that peak again unless a new era comes in and cleans out the rot that has eaten all the good things we had back then.

Sir V wrote:I am sorry guys, I cannot debate with you guys when it comes to naija soccer between 1983-1992, I was not in Nigeria during this period.
Last edited by MI5 on Thu May 13, 2004 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

I think the 1983 squad was the most talented, but the 1985 team had a lot of gutsy, solid individuals..........I mean, that team survived the horror of being attacked in Addis Ababa and still came out on top.......I still remember Kingsley Onye playing with a bandaged head in the next series against Cote D Iviore with the injury he received from the attack in Ethiopia........

And hell, that was the team that defeated the Russians in their own background in a thrilling encounter for third place..........If Christian Obi had played in net, instead of an injured Alloy Agu, we probably would have taken Brazil in the semis.......And even then, we still missed too many chances in that game and should have won anyways
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

MI5 wrote:Sir V,

Kaii you missed one of the best decades of Naija futbol at it's highest peak when we were clicking on all cylinders at all levels. Home, Away, abroad, Continental competitions in the whole Africa. Beating everyone left and right.

1988 was our best year ever when we made to the finals of the ANC, African Champions Cup, Cup winners cup, WAFU Cup. Unfortunately we lost all four cups. Cheii very painful but you had to admire our futbol then for reaching that level.

I don't think our soccer will ever reach that peak again unless a new era comes in and cleans out the rot that has eaten all the good things we had back then.

Sir V wrote:I am sorry guys, I cannot debate with you guys when it comes to naija soccer between 1983-1992, I was not in Nigeria during this period.
My broda,

There was no Eurosport to show those matches, that was the painful thing.

I saw the late Osaro Obabaifo for the first time when he was about 11 or 12years old, then he was playing for a junior team called Samco FC.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Thought it's difficult to pin point the best team because the basis will be subjective, I'll however go for the 1983 team. I love teh Uwe led team. They had players with flair. Obobaifo, Igbinabaro controlled the midfield quite well. Fired on by the U-16 victory in China, their confidence rose and they aimed for the best. Add that to teh experience of Siasia in 1983.

Even then, I'll always root for the 10983 team. For me, that was a talented and complete team. Yes they crashed out of the first round but that can be explained. It was our first time. Some of the players were held up due to their WASC exam. But even then, they refuse to crumble in the face of opposition.

For you to appreciate that team, you need to see how they graduated into the Senior team and dealt with Ghana in Kumasi during the Olympic qualifiers!

Though I could not vouch for the age of the players, the fact that they're still secondary school students speaks volume! Also most of them were playing in lower divisions of the National league. That tends to indicate that they are really green horns. The only unfortunate thing was the decision of most of them to further their education hence we never got ot see them developed to their potential!

How I wish YSFON can be ressurected to take over the running of our youth football. They really did well! NFA just sabotaged them after the U-16 victory in China because they felt that YSFON was taking all the limelight.

Hope those good old days will return.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Africana wrote:1985 side, hands down.

By no means the most talented, but they had enough determination and confidence to make whatever they had count. The did not dribble unecessarily, did not pass sideways and did not showboat--just business,

---------------------.S. Siasia------M. Odiaka-------------------

M. Anunobi-------W. Akani------A. Ibinabaro-----O. Obabaifo

K. Onye (Mature)------A. Uwe-----M. Odu----G. Eke

-------------------------A. Agu--------------------

Corrections:
1. Okon Ene was in the ’87, not ’85, team. The guys in the heart of the midfield were Waidi Akani, Augustine Ibinabaro and Osaro Obobaifo.
2. Okosieme was on the bench and came in as Odiaka’s replacement in our last match.
3. The team was so good that the Ethiopians literally panel-beat the players in their last qualifying match in Addis Ababa.

The 1987 side had so much talent and they played "champaigne soccer." They had extremely skillful players, notably Etim Esin, Nosa Osadolor, Adeolu Adekola, and Okon Ene. Ladi Babalola has been one of the most skillful and most flexible central defender I have seen in Nigerian colors--made the ball speak his language. The team also had Nduka Ugbade and Peter Ogaba (both from the golden U-17 side of '85. Their problen, I think, was their tendency to lose concentration at crucial junctures.
O.K, just to put things in perspective here. The 1985 team was not always "businesslike". At the beginning, before the debacle in Yaounde, the team had a lot of flair in it, with Ndubuisi Okosieme on the right wing, Wasiu Ipaye of the sweet left foot in central midfield and Friday Elaho on the left wing. It was after that 0-3 loss to Cameroon that a major reshufle was made to the team leading to players like Mike Dominic, Osaro Obobaifo and Mark Anunobi becoming bona-fide first teamers. In addition, Samson Sia Sia with his performance in the second leg became known as the X-factor, the man who could make things happen, on that team.

The "87 team had probably the best midfield tandem of any Nigerian junior side EVER in Ene Okon, Ikponwosa Omoregie, Thompson Oliha and Etim Esin. However, they were never any good at the rear, or even much good in front of goal. On the contrary, the 1983 team was well-rounded, had many talented individuals and played great football from the African qualifiers to the finals.
mufu baba iyabo
Egg
Egg
Location: Never mind what u've left behind,keep in mind what u're yet to find"

Post by mufu baba iyabo »

:D Chief OGBUNIGWE, if that na your true face :P :P :P :oops: then Naija dey in trouble :roll:

BASH ALI; "Trouble dey oooooooooh :roll: :roll: Wahala plenty"" :lol:
"Heineken refreshes the parts other beers cannot reach". "Nos nihil effisere non possimus"- "To us Nothing is impossible"