Westerhof took bribe — Owubokiri

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Sorry sir only two players on your list could be said to have anything pertaining to their sojourn in Europe linked to CW, and they are Finidi and Kanu and you can easily see the connection, the Dutch league.
Oliseh left the shores of Nigeria to play in Belgium unknown, apart from the followers of JB and those who saw a young lad play and score in the closing chapter of the 89 season. People waited for this guy to continue in 90 season, but he had slipped unoticed out of the country to Belgium.

Alloy was with me in Gboko before he also slipped out, most of the guys going to Belgium back then had nothing to do with CW, there was a guy in Lagos back then, i have forgotten the name of this man, he was well known in football circle back then for running the ship that was offloading players to Belgium. He was a very very popular back then, back in the days when no one knew how to get players to Europe.

People even mention Amuneke and i feel like laughing, he was while playing for Zamalek, funy i never even noticed Amuneke in the Nigerian league back then, i was suprised when he was telling me how i once gave him one of my trade mark tackles. I mention this just to highlight the fact that he was an unknown person until his exploits in Zamalek and subsequently ANC94./ What even led to Amuneke getting a call was because of the dearth of natural left winger. Sorry Westerhoff did not have anything to do with Amuneke, anyone saying so is just peddling runmours.

The closest thing that CW close to being a spiv was the fact that back then he would recommend players to Dutch coaches, he always told players in camp to be patient and wait for them to develop. Butr most players would jump at anything back then, yes oh even 5,000 dollars was like millions back in them days. All we players were thinking of was a matter of converting the 5,000 dollars and to caryy the tag of being a foreign pro. I swear back then carrying that tag and flying in to play for the SE was far more important.

Back to the issue, yes CW had certain players he had plans for , and the plan was to develop their career, because he knew the antics of scouts better than anyone back in those days, he always preferred players to go through him especially the ones in camp , the ones he knew what they are truly worth. Does he make money by the side, i will not say yes i will not say no, but he would be a fool to pass away the consultation fee for recommending players. That has always been the norm, forget those trying to pretend they dont do it. Until they bring out that inquiry they conducted when the same issue was brought in the EPL, until they show me the report exonerating coaches who use their children as club's agent, i would not hang CW for doing this.

The art of recommending players to prospecting scouts or clubs has been in existence for as long as the business of recruitment has been going on. You could see the players he had plans for by the club they ended up, if they end up in Belgium rule out CW most definitely it was the work of that guy in Lagos.

If anyone knew the story of Wilson Oruma you will appreciate what CW did for Kanu and Finidi, Oruma was sold for peanuts in a deal that almost cost Fanny his job. Fanny's offence was simply he recommended Wilson to the scout and helped the scout persuade Oruma to sign. Back in those days scouts will come to the parents, friends or even anyone that can persuade a hot property to sign for them. Back then the payment was in the region of 2 - 5k. No one in Nigeria back then knew anything about transfers, no one if not for CW the likes of Finid, Kanu would have ended in the backwaters of Belgium a league that destroyed and wasted a lot of the first generation of Nigerian players who travelled abroad.

One would have been tempted to say what is the big deal, there is a big deal when you look at the list of the promising players who went to Belgium and perished in the back waters. The creme de la creme of Nigerian players btw 87 - 92 found themselves in this league, they were taken there by rogues who signed them away to div 3 or div 2 clubs with th promise that they would make it later. Very few , very very few did. Some had to come back home to re-invent themselves, unfortunately they were never the same when they came back. This is where Kanu and Finidi would have ended and not the household name they became. That is why i said CW had plans for them and not just out to make a quick bucks on them.

CW was very angry , very very angry, one would say he was angry because he was not paid or because he was beaten to it, but when the details of the Oruma deal was exposed, everyone saw why the man was angry, Orumah who was the best player and the highest scorer in the 1993 U-17 WC was sold for peanut , he was sold for less than 10, 000 dollars.

Now if CW is accused of being a spiv in the light of this revealation i would not defend him, it was an open secret that he was doing this. But to accuse him of demanding a bribe, whoever made such an accusation should be arrested for libel.

That man restored pride to every footballer back in then Nigeria, that was why he was loved. He gave dignity and honour to a profession that was otherwise deemed a job for drop outs and nonentities.

It is sad because whenever i hear the rants of people like Ricky it remind me of those dark days of football, when everyone thought all a footballer was good for is to entertain and to indulge them only in football discussion because they were deemed incapable of any meaningful conversation outside the football field.

etoo_fils wrote:Dont know about demanding payment but Westerhof was the biggest agent of them all. They need to find out just how much he got from all those player transfers - Amunike, Finidi, Kanu, Oliseh, Alloy Agu. Long long list.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Gaddem, Oloye don yarn am finish. But we still have to give Owubokiri the benefit of the doubt here as per us who don't know him on a personal level.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

I dont know how i missed this thread but make una no jump to conclusions kwik kwik oh. I have heard first hand from certain players that CW was not entirely an honest man. He did some shady business (similar to what this guy is accusing him of) that was not always in favor of the players. A couple of my guys are stuck in North Carolina working odd jobs as a result of his shady deals. His argument in this case (choosing Yekini) sounds reasonable but as they say where there is smoke .....
Idi Amin

Post by Idi Amin »

Oloye, as usual, thanks a milla for that wonderful insight. Gosh, I didn't even read your post before I made my initial post sef.

You're one of the main reasons why I still visit this forum.
etoo_fils
Egg
Egg

Post by etoo_fils »

he always preferred players to go through him especially the ones in camp , the ones he knew what they are truly worth. Does he make money by the side, i will not say yes i will not say no, but he would be a fool to pass away the consultation fee for recommending players. That has always been the norm, forget those trying to pretend they dont do it.
Why wouldnt an agent prefer players to go through them. If he was no agent why would he care where the players played?

Fact is CW who happened to coach in both countries (Holland and Belgium ) was coach of the SE during a period in which a lot of SE players made their way to Dutch and Belgian clubs. He openly arranged trials for many high profile players including Finidi, kanu, Amunike, Oliseh, Amokachi, Alloy Agu, Peter Rufai in European clubs. If you don't think so, KOC make you go interview any one of those players and ask them. They will tell you the dileo.

Now what he got from being the go-between is open to speculation but one thing is for sure though and its that Westerhoff made a lot of money in Nigeria because after it he was not exaclty minting money in either Zimbabwe or South Africa.

Today he is back there doing what he does best which is unearthing young talent and shipping them off to Europe.
onye ilo aburo chi mmadu
etoo_fils
Egg
Egg

Post by etoo_fils »

http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.sp ... 711d5e1d68
WORLD SOCCER MAGAZINE (1994)

NO WORLD CUP RECORD. THIS IS NIGERIA'S FIRST WORLD CUP APPEARANCE.

THE COACH:
^^^^^^^^^
Clemens WESTERHOF. Aged 53. Controversial Dutch-born trainer who is alleged to have made big money out of transfers. Formerly coach of MW Maastricht, Vitesse Arnhem and in his fifth year as Super Eagles coach. Almost certain to retire after the World Cup. Nigeria qualified with an overall record of 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, 17 goals for and 5 against. Nigeria won the 1994 African Nations Cup held in Tunisia.

www.iht.com/articles/1994/12/21/rob_1.php
His goals proved his poaching instinct from three meters, then his awareness of team play. Nine Nigerian passes set up the chance before Amunike glided into space, controlled the ball with his left foot and scored imperiously with the right from 12 meters.

By World Cup time, he had signed contracts with two clubs - Duisburg in Germany and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal.

The mess was not exclusively his handiwork. Clemens Westerhof, then Nigeria's coach, took it upon himself to represent Amunike - and, according to the player, Westerhof pressed him to sign for Duisburg or be dropped from the World Cup team.

If true, it demeaned even the dubious work of two-timing agents. But Amunike signed, then regretted it when Sporting Lisbon made a better offer, and FIFA had to sort out the confusion.

Amunike was as stubborn off the field as he is enthralling on it. He refused to set foot in Germany, and eventually Sporting Lisbon paid Duisburg $2 million compensation so that Amunike could flow again, which he is doing, with born-again relish.
onye ilo aburo chi mmadu
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I have to say my friend Oloye is not fully informed about the corrupt ways of CW. If he was a fully informed on the mess that was Amuneke's transfer to Duisburg in Germany and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal promted a change in FIFA rules pertaining to Agency he will not be lighting a touch for the sleazy and corrupt CW.
etoo_fils wrote:http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.sp ... 711d5e1d68

THE COACH:
^^^^^^^^^
Clemens WESTERHOF. Aged 53. Controversial Dutch-born trainer who is alleged to have made big money out of transfers. Formerly coach of MW Maastricht, Vitesse Arnhem and in his fifth year as Super Eagles coach. Almost certain to retire after the World Cup. Nigeria qualified with an overall record of 5 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss, 17 goals for and 5 against. Nigeria won the 1994 African Nations Cup held in Tunisia.

His goals proved his poaching instinct from three meters, then his awareness of team play. Nine Nigerian passes set up the chance before Amunike glided into space, controlled the ball with his left foot and scored imperiously with the right from 12 meters.

By World Cup time, he had signed contracts with two clubs - Duisburg in Germany and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal.

The mess was not exclusively his handiwork. Clemens Westerhof, then Nigeria's coach, took it upon himself to represent Amunike - and, according to the player, Westerhof pressed him to sign for Duisburg or be dropped from the World Cup team.

If true, it demeaned even the dubious work of two-timing agents. But Amunike signed, then regretted it when Sporting Lisbon made a better offer, and FIFA had to sort out the confusion.

Amunike was as stubborn off the field as he is enthralling on it. He refused to set foot in Germany, and eventually Sporting Lisbon paid Duisburg $2 million compensation so that Amunike could flow again, which he is doing, with born-again relish.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Oloye, I have always enjoyed reading from you but I do not understand why most CEs are just dismissing Owubokiri's accusations as baseless. If CW did demand money from Ricky, there would be no witnesses.
Ricky's omission was indeed controversial, he won the silver boot in European football with 34 goals that season. A feat that no Nigerian striker has never achieved before or since then. He was invited to play against SA and he scored one goal and made another. That was the last time he played for Nigeria, those circumstances are indeed suspicious!!!!
Oloye, would you say that CW was a honest man?
I am happy
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Dammy wrote:Oloye, I have always enjoyed reading from you but I do not understand why most CEs are just dismissing Owubokiri's accusations as baseless. If CW did demand money from Ricky, there would be no witnesses.
Ricky's omission was indeed controversial, he won the silver boot in European football with 34 goals that season. A feat that no Nigerian striker has never achieved before or since then. He was invited to play against SA and he scored one goal and made another. That was the last time he played for Nigeria, those circumstances are indeed suspicious!!!!
We all love CW and still respect what he did for our football but it does not mean we should pretend as if he was a saint.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Bajan wrote:Well maybe it wasnt bribery in the real sense of the word i remember Amuneke complained of being benched because CW wanted him to sign for 1860 Munich? against his prefered choice.Owobs was touted as the best striker of his era after his sceondary school exploits in lagos and a brief spell in Brazil.He even considered changing Nationalty at one time

There is a black hole in that CW era concerning player movement and it did create a lot of russ then But CW was too smooth to crudely demand for bribe he would rather intimidate you to play ball.But I want to ask who was Finidi George before Westerhof threw him in the deep end of the pool ? If you couldnt swim in 7ft of water please dont call yourself a swimmer.

Richie Owobs couldnt prove himself and Westerhof had a perfect excuse to mess him up.
Dude,

Perhaps you didn't know, but Finidi George was HOT while he was at Calabar Rovers before Westerhof called him to camp. Westerhof regularly gave call-up to outstanding local talent at the time, and you have to remember that by then, there were only a handful of Nigerians on the European scene.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

What role did Zamalek the team who owned Amunike play. I am asking out of curiosity. Because if i remember anything around that time, they were involved in the Tango as well.
My brother like i said If CW is being accused of being a spiv i wont even bother defending him, he recommended and was involved in the transfer procedures of a couple of players. His activities were well known back then especially in the football circle.
But for Owobokiri to accuse him of demanding bribe, that is total nonsense from a player who could not cut it in the SE.

Dammy
My brother your own question dey very easy, Efan Ekoku was supposed to be scoring like wild bush fire, that was why he was called up, please remind me if he ever scored for SE. He knew his limitations and was willing to seat on the bench. He did not turn up in camp demanding that his wife also be accomodated or be treated like a prima donna.

Fashanu was supposed to be hot in the Premier League as the English league ws called back then , he was invited, heck he could not even make the SE team.

Neither of this players turned around to say that they were dropped for not dropping something. It is the hall mark of Nigerian players to always turn around and accuse a coach of demanding for money hence the reason they never made the team. Naija players will never agree that they were not good enough.
Waffiman wrote:I have to say my friend Oloye is not fully informed about the corrupt ways of CW. If he was a fully informed on the mess that was Amuneke's transfer to Duisburg in Germany and Sporting Lisbon in Portugal promted a change in FIFA rules pertaining to Agency he will not be lighting a touch for the sleazy and corrupt CW.
etoo_fils wrote:http://groups.google.co.za/group/rec.sp ... 711d5e1d68

THE COACH:
^^^^^^^^^

TD
Egg
Egg

Post by TD »

Dammy wrote:Oloye, I have always enjoyed reading from you but I do not understand why most CEs are just dismissing Owubokiri's accusations as baseless. If CW did demand money from Ricky, there would be no witnesses.
Damn,

I mean you guys must have REALLY short memories. Owubokiri played a few times for the SE, but was not really a MAJOR component of the SE during the Westehof years. He was not even a candidate to go to the WC, talk less of anyone asking him for money. NO frigging way.

Westerhof, for the most part stuck with his guys, though at the end he relented in the case of Peter Rufai, and due to injuries and loss of form of his favored players (Iroha and Semitoje), took Nwanu and Emenalo to the WC.

Those who could claim a grievance with having been dropped from the team are the likes of Tijani Babangida or Nduka Ugbade, not Owubokiri who had no real shot at making the team in the first place.

If he had claimed to have been asked for a bribe to play alongside Kanu, Sunday Daniel and co. in the meaningless warm-up games to the WC, then one would probably take him more seriously.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Dammy
:lol: :lol: :lol: You wan put me for the spot abi. Ok if you show me one honest business man and if you show me the verdict condemning CW i will answer your question.

I even find it funny that someone posted an article and emboldened a section that read "It was alleged" as an incriminating evidence. Hmmm wonders will never end.

The bottom line is this did CW make money from recommending players, my answer he did. Did he take what does not belong to him,, the answer is no.

Did he keep anyone out of the SE team to favor someone of less ability because he had interest in them, the answer is no.

CW gave every player who claimed to be something in Nigeria a chance to showcase what they've got.

Can i vouch for his business ethics i dont know, i dont know much about his business activities and to the best of my knowledge no one knew anything about football transfers back then until CW came. Heck no one knew anything including things like adidas being our sponsors until he showed up. We were ignorant and arrogant people who loved football but never knew that football back then had left us a couple of years behind, until CW showed up.

The only thing i can vouch for about CW is this, he was never the type who would demand a bribe to field a player. I can listen to accusations about cajoling players to allow him manage their interest, but this is the first time iam hearing a player try to take CW down the low dirty lane, this player has taken it too far.

This player came he saw but could not conquer. Yes Ricky was good when he played for Sharks or what team did he play for again, oh yes it was sharks, he was good but he was not spectacular and i can say that anywhere. In the era he played on the home scene he was another name in the list of good players.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

If Owobokiri paid the moeny, who will be dropped for him from the 1994 squad? Yekini, Siasia, Amokachi? Who?????
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Ricky Owubokiri was sensational for Boavista, at that time we also had people clamoring for the inclusion of Efan at Norwich and Feyenoord's Mike Obiku, fact is: CW had his team SET. Why is this even an issue, Yekini, Amokachi, Siasia, Ikpeba were all sensational, no be everybody go go world cup!

CW picked his best sides, Nigeria ran through so many players back then.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Al B Sure
Egg
Egg

Post by Al B Sure »

platinum wrote:Ricky Owubokiri was sensational for Boavista, at that time we also had people clamoring for the inclusion of Efan at Norwich and Feyenoord's Mike Obiku, fact is: CW had his team SET. Why is this even an issue, Yekini, Amokachi, Siasia, Ikpeba were all sensational, no be everybody go go world cup!

CW picked his best sides, Nigeria ran through so many players back then.

Enough said!

Money or no money, There was no way Westerhof was going to take Owubokiri to the world cup. The guy was not even at the nations cup!

However, whether westerhoff asked for money, we will never know. It is between Ricky and Westerhoff!
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Is it the same Owobokiri that once refused to travel with a Nigerian team cos he couldnt get a seat for his Brazilian wife on the plane? Small wonder some guys literally translated his name in Yoruba anf fitted perfectly.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

etoo_fils wrote:
he always preferred players to go through him especially the ones in camp , the ones he knew what they are truly worth. Does he make money by the side, i will not say yes i will not say no, but he would be a fool to pass away the consultation fee for recommending players. That has always been the norm, forget those trying to pretend they dont do it.
Why wouldnt an agent prefer players to go through them. If he was no agent why would he care where the players played?

Fact is CW who happened to coach in both countries (Holland and Belgium ) was coach of the SE during a period in which a lot of SE players made their way to Dutch and Belgian clubs. He openly arranged trials for many high profile players including Finidi, kanu, Amunike, Oliseh, Amokachi, Alloy Agu, Peter Rufai in European clubs. If you don't think so, KOC make you go interview any one of those players and ask them. They will tell you the dileo.

Now what he got from being the go-between is open to speculation but one thing is for sure though and its that Westerhoff made a lot of money in Nigeria because after it he was not exaclty minting money in either Zimbabwe or South Africa.

Today he is back there doing what he does best which is unearthing young talent and shipping them off to Europe.
For which club (s)?
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

wanaj0 wrote:If Owobokiri paid the moeny, who will be dropped for him from the 1994 squad? Yekini, Siasia, Amokachi? Who?????

nna, dats the kweshion dem never ax.

Who should he have gone in place of? Naija pipul sha!!!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:There are times i wonder if being a footballer takes away intelligence by default. Sometimes i wonder why footballers allow themselves to fall into that region that they have been stereotyped, the region that potrays them as having nothing upstairs irrespective of their exposure and experience in life.

So it took Owobokiri 14 years to come up with the story that Westerhoff took bribe. If i was not in the game b4 i would have fallen for the opaks that he is talking about. Ofcourse from experience i know that whenever a coach drops a player, it is because the player did not settle the coach. I am tempted to call this Ricky guy a fool, but i dont like calling people names so i wont, morever he has succeeded in making himself look like one.

Westerhoff operated one of the most liberal and open camp the Nigerian SE has ever witnessed. People villify CCC for capping the Hey you's, heck Westerhoff capped almost everyone the Nigerian media throw at him. Heck we even had players invited from Bangladesh, oh yes oh the same Bangladesh we were bashing in another thread. The name of that player was Chima Okorie, back then we were told Chima was scoring goals like it was going out of fashion. It was from the same back water league that he got Emeka Ezeugo.
Westerhoff gave all of them foreign players a chance to prove themselves, and i mean everyone. There was a time the media were accusing him of using too many players in the run up to the WC94, ofcourse Ricky was one of the glut of players that were called back then.

Ricky should tell us how much Oliseh paid to grab the shirt from Friday Ekpo, who was a household name. He should tell us how much Amuneke paid to push Ikpeba , who was then called the Price of Monaco to the bench.
There was the case of Peter Rufai who Westerhoff did not want in camp because of his dogdy antics back then, the NFA did everything to force Rufai on Westerhoff, the man stood his grounds and the reason being Rufai' antics were deemed unprofessional by him. But because the NFA stood their ground , he took Rufai along to the training camp prelude to the ANC94, he was allowed to train with the other keepers in camp.

The keepers back then were Alloy, Agbonibare, and a young local based keeper by name Ike Shorounmu. By the time the team list was to be compiled , Westerhoff sought the opinion of the GK trainer , a fellow Dutch man, the man's report rated Rufai above the rest of the keepers. Westerhoff bowed to the pressure and conviction of merit rather than ineptitude, that was how Rufai was reinstated to the SE. But the man Westerhoff insisted that it was not fair to drop Ike and made them sign an undertaken to compesate Ike with whatever benefits the other player receive during the tournament.

Shortly before the team was to depart for the WC, a certain Babangida was on fire, the sort of fire that was difficult to ignore, Westerhoff toyed with the idea of dropping the Prince of Monaco for Babangida, hell broke loose, he came under all sort of attack, his life was even threatened. The Prince it was alleged sent some of his dongari's to go remind Westerhoff, he was toying with a Prince. I thank God that Westerhoff did not suceed in taking Babangida along, oh no i am not thanking God for Westerhof's life. I am thanking God because we would today be hearing that Babangida was taken because of federal character.

Ricky i am sorry to say is spewing garbage, and if i may borrow the phrase that my in-laws will use to describe him at this time, they will say that "he is talking from his anus" and we all know that when the anus talks either the audible one or the silent one it smells shite. I rest my 2 kobo take on this drivel.
My bro, we now know without doubt that CW was Amuneke's spiv. We know from the FIFA investigation of the transfer saga of Amuneke to Barca. CW gained from sales of players and he represented Amuneke thereby gaining personally from his selection to the national team. CW was a spiv for players and this affected his job as he became more and more corrupt, he lost his players.

As for Richard, while I agree that he played badly when he was called up and that there could be bad belle on his part, CW's record as a man who was corrupt and lacked integrity means I cannot dismiss his claims entirely. For me, it is a 50/50 call.
Waffi thank you jare! I was bout to get on Oloye. Not to say I have first hand info but Nosa always said from day one that he didn't get PT because he refused to let CW be his spiv/agent. A whole prince of monaco couldn't get any PT for the SE, didn't make a lick of sense. That was one of the huge injustices of CW's time as SE coach. We all know the dude took advantage of the situation and made his money, nobody can convince me otherwise no matter what.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:There are times i wonder if being a footballer takes away intelligence by default. Sometimes i wonder why footballers allow themselves to fall into that region that they have been stereotyped, the region that potrays them as having nothing upstairs irrespective of their exposure and experience in life.

So it took Owobokiri 14 years to come up with the story that Westerhoff took bribe. If i was not in the game b4 i would have fallen for the opaks that he is talking about. Ofcourse from experience i know that whenever a coach drops a player, it is because the player did not settle the coach. I am tempted to call this Ricky guy a fool, but i dont like calling people names so i wont, morever he has succeeded in making himself look like one.

Westerhoff operated one of the most liberal and open camp the Nigerian SE has ever witnessed. People villify CCC for capping the Hey you's, heck Westerhoff capped almost everyone the Nigerian media throw at him. Heck we even had players invited from Bangladesh, oh yes oh the same Bangladesh we were bashing in another thread. The name of that player was Chima Okorie, back then we were told Chima was scoring goals like it was going out of fashion. It was from the same back water league that he got Emeka Ezeugo.
Westerhoff gave all of them foreign players a chance to prove themselves, and i mean everyone. There was a time the media were accusing him of using too many players in the run up to the WC94, ofcourse Ricky was one of the glut of players that were called back then.

Ricky should tell us how much Oliseh paid to grab the shirt from Friday Ekpo, who was a household name. He should tell us how much Amuneke paid to push Ikpeba , who was then called the Price of Monaco to the bench.
There was the case of Peter Rufai who Westerhoff did not want in camp because of his dogdy antics back then, the NFA did everything to force Rufai on Westerhoff, the man stood his grounds and the reason being Rufai' antics were deemed unprofessional by him. But because the NFA stood their ground , he took Rufai along to the training camp prelude to the ANC94, he was allowed to train with the other keepers in camp.

The keepers back then were Alloy, Agbonibare, and a young local based keeper by name Ike Shorounmu. By the time the team list was to be compiled , Westerhoff sought the opinion of the GK trainer , a fellow Dutch man, the man's report rated Rufai above the rest of the keepers. Westerhoff bowed to the pressure and conviction of merit rather than ineptitude, that was how Rufai was reinstated to the SE. But the man Westerhoff insisted that it was not fair to drop Ike and made them sign an undertaken to compesate Ike with whatever benefits the other player receive during the tournament.

Shortly before the team was to depart for the WC, a certain Babangida was on fire, the sort of fire that was difficult to ignore, Westerhoff toyed with the idea of dropping the Prince of Monaco for Babangida, hell broke loose, he came under all sort of attack, his life was even threatened. The Prince it was alleged sent some of his dongari's to go remind Westerhoff, he was toying with a Prince. I thank God that Westerhoff did not suceed in taking Babangida along, oh no i am not thanking God for Westerhof's life. I am thanking God because we would today be hearing that Babangida was taken because of federal character.

Ricky i am sorry to say is spewing garbage, and if i may borrow the phrase that my in-laws will use to describe him at this time, they will say that "he is talking from his anus" and we all know that when the anus talks either the audible one or the silent one it smells shite. I rest my 2 kobo take on this drivel.
My bro, we now know without doubt that CW was Amuneke's spiv. We know from the FIFA investigation of the transfer saga of Amuneke to Barca. CW gained from sales of players and he represented Amuneke thereby gaining personally from his selection to the national team. CW was a spiv for players and this affected his job as he became more and more corrupt, he lost his players.

As for Richard, while I agree that he played badly when he was called up and that there could be bad belle on his part, CW's record as a man who was corrupt and lacked integrity means I cannot dismiss his claims entirely. For me, it is a 50/50 call.
Waffi thank you jare! I was bout to get on Oloye. Not to say I have first hand info but Nosa always said from day one that he didn't get PT because he refused to let CW be his spiv/agent. A whole prince of monaco couldn't get any PT for the SE, didn't make a lick of sense. That was one of the huge injustices of CW's time as SE coach. We all know the dude took advantage of the situation and made his money, nobody can convince me otherwise no matter what.
I guess the same way a whole JJ was riding the pine? :roll:

The truth is that CW was never a fan of players who did not put in 90 minutes on the pitch. Dude had a lot of attacking options...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Cellular wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

I guess the same way a whole JJ was riding the pine? :roll:

The truth is that CW was never a fan of players who did not put in 90 minutes on the pitch. Dude had a lot of attacking options...
JJ was a small boy that liked to do too many tricks instead of doing anything of use with the ball. Ikpeba on the other hand was consistently one of the top scorers in France and banging goals left and right, he definitely was no hype he was the real deal.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
etoo_fils
Egg
Egg

Post by etoo_fils »

Oloye:

1) Ikpeba did not shine at Monaco until the 1995/96 season. In 1994 he was a teenager fresh from the 1993 U-17 squad and like JJ rode the bench.

2) Unless you know CW personally don't vouch for someone you don't know.
onye ilo aburo chi mmadu