Arsene Wenger: A Coach In Decline

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Babafad wrote:
Waffiman wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a load of rubbish.
Waffi, I no gree. Wenger is the one that has let us down this season. He is lucky that he is at Arsenal. If he were at any of the other major clubs in Europe he would have been sacked for what he has done this season.

How can you leave a whole German international goalie on the bench, and replace him with a comical fool - Manuel ("Fawlty Towers") Almunia??? That act alone, deserves the sack!

I am not sure whether you are subscribed to Wenger's post match eMails. Normally these come through max 24 hrs after a match. Here we are 48 hrs+ and still no eMail from the incompetent angel*! :twisted:
FYI His post match "email" is only his exact quotes verbatim after the game which are posted on the web site, it's down to Arsenal.com to merely take his post match quotes and email them to supporters.

AW made mistakes but the idea he should be sacked is so stupid that I'm almost left speechless. Overall this team has made a massive leap forward and seems difficult now but they will be an even better side next season.

I CAN'T WAIT TO BUMP THIS THREAD ONE YEAR FROM NOW!!!
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
odi
Egg
Egg

Post by odi »

Babafad wrote:

What a load of rubbish.
Waffi, I no gree. Wenger is the one that has let us down this season. He is lucky that he is at Arsenal. If he were at any of the other major clubs in Europe he would have been sacked for what he has done this season.

How can you leave a whole German international goalie on the bench, and replace him with a comical fool - Manuel ("Fawlty Towers") Almunia??? That act alone, deserves the sack!

I am not sure whether you are subscribed to Wenger's post match eMails. Normally these come through max 24 hrs after a match. Here we are 48 hrs+ and still no eMail from the incompetent angel*! :twisted:
Choi! Is this BabaFad calling Wenger an 'incompetent angel*'? The world must be coming to an end... :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm beginning to feel sorry for the L'Arse mob! :lol:
The SUPER EAGLES shall rise again!
tendai101
Egg
Egg

Post by tendai101 »

Tunisian Gunner lets not dodge facts.

We hate Fergosn but the man knows how to win a game of football and his team can be outplayed and outclsssed but never rarely ever embarrased like 5-1 and so on. He is very focused on winning and and will do what it takes
The wise speak when they have something to say,
fools speak when they have to say something.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Its our business to stir it up
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Damn do people only live in the here and now. People were spouting the same gibberish about SAF a few years ago after Man Utd have gone three seasons in a row without winning the EPL but now they' look at therm. Arsenal last season and Arsenal this season are incomparable, Arsenal have mad a huge lea forward this season and will be an even better side come next season.

AW is not finished tweaking his third Arsenal side, he will lead Arsenal back to the promise land and in time this thread will be utterly laughable and very much bump worthy.
Like I said, it is rubbish they need to fill the column inches. Fergie spent millions and had embarassing flops. He did not win the league for 3 seasons many wrote him off but they were stupid. Just like the stupid lot writing this rubbish. Wenger and Arsenal have built and moved into a £350 million stadium complex, this is bound to take its toll on cashflow for player's salary and recruitment. Arsenal fans and board know, they only have the genius of Wenger to thank for even keeping them competitive on such limited resources.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

What a load of rubbish.
Thats all you have to say? WOW, this season don quiet Waffi finish, dude has no response at all anymore. BTW, stop living in denial, you are the one who says you judge managers by their success, and Arsene hasn't had any in a while, but you will keep telling us "Arsene knows" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
You guys said that last year, I mean damn, how many times will you keep saying "next year....next year"????
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

tendai101 wrote:Tunisian Gunner lets not dodge facts.

We hate Fergosn but the man knows how to win a game of football and his team can be outplayed and outclsssed but never rarely ever embarrased like 5-1 and so on. He is very focused on winning and and will do what it takes
In the %$#@^& Carling cup they lost to Coventry to should we base anything from the Carling cup? AW has made a few mistake's no doubt, but in his defense had Eduardo not been ravaged by that #$%$ Taylor we would be top of the league and likely in the semi finals of the CL.

FFS RELAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Some Gooners act like it's hurts them more when we lose than AW, well newsflash it's one billion times more painful to him than it is to us. It's easy for all of us Gooners to sit here and berate AW but he is the man that has to one build a squad that can challenge the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea, help build and pay off the debt of the new stadium, and to create a squad on a shoe string budget the last four seasons. Do some Gooners truly think they know more than AW?

GIVE ME A BREAK

Heavy lies the crown lads, we're well on course for silverware, AW will do what is right for the club and a season from now this thread will be a CE CLASSIC.
Last edited by Tunisian Gooner on Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Detective Bunk Moreland

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
You guys said that last year, I mean damn, how many times will you keep saying "next year....next year"????
Do not put words in my mouth, I knew we would win very little after 2005 as we're were Jettisoning a legendary squad and rebuilding, I was actually quite surprised we made the CL final in 06 which is why it was such fun.

I SAY NOW NEXT YEAR WE WILL WIN SILVERWARE.

You can rip me if 'm wrong, but I again say without hesitation next year we will bring silverware back to THOF.
Detective Bunk Moreland

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Do not put words in my mouth, I knew we would win very little after 2005 as we're were Jettisoning a legendary squad and rebuilding, I was actually quite surprised we made the CL final in 06 which is why it was such fun.

I SAY NOW NEXT YEAR WE WILL WIN SILVERWARE.

You can rip me if 'm wrong, but I again say without hesitation next year we will bring silverware back to THOF.
God forbid bad thing!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Babafad
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Babafad »

Waffiman wrote:Arsenal fans and board know, they only have the genius of Wenger to thank for even keeping them competitive on such limited resources.
:roll:

So we should be eternally grateful to the extent that we put up with disasters such as Tuesday's result???

Come on Waffi. Wenger has made some serious mistakes this season. If I had made mistakes like that - in line with my job, I would be on the dole now. Believe it.

I have not said that Wenger hasn't done anything. He's done what he's paid to do. Only a f00l makes the same mistake twice, Wenger has dished up the same thing he delivered last season - "tap tap" football with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. The Arsenal board are mugus. Wenger don bamboozle dem, now they are stuck to his ar** and and can't free themselves. Fire Wenger - that's the answer. Nobody reads last years newspaper, so why should we still be holding on to the fact that we won the league 4 years ago??? :roll:

Contributors to Arsenal forums all over the net have been saying that Eboue is not good enough, yet Wenger puts him in ahead of Walcott. He moves Toure wide, and brings in the ever fumbling Senderos the end result we all saw on Tuesday - Liverpool's main man take am drink garri! :oops: Time and time again Senderos has done the same thing - abi the guy dey drop for Wenger or what's his 4ucking fascination with Senderos???

Damn Waffi, I've been supporting Arsenal as far back as I can remember - 5yrs old. Then, we used to live round the corner from Finsbury Park (just off Stroud Green Rd). Wenger looked clueless on Tuesday. Adebayor has scored goals that even my grand mother would have scored if she played for Arsenal, that is how good the "service" he has received has been. Are you telling me that Adebayor will get into Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool's first teams?????

Henry left because of this - he saw the writing on the wall. Arsenal have got to spend. It is crystal clear, that you can't get by on the cheap in the present day Premiership. Scratch the surface at the Emirates, there doesn't seem to be a lot underneath.
Being challenged in life is inevitable, being defeated is optional.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Maradona wrote:
platinum wrote:for years, people said the current Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy could never win the superbowl, right from his time at tampa bay, they said he'd taken his teams as far as he could but would never be able to cross into the promised land. Today, the Colts and dungy have won the superbowl and every season they are amongst the top teams in the NFL.
To say Wenger is a coach in decline is ridiculous at best. The man has had Arsenal consistently challenging for titles from the get-go, he has the team playing the type of football people pay good money to see YET he's a coach in decline because his team hasnt won the league title in a few years or he has not won the champions league?
wow. who comes up with this garbage? do you think the other managers in the epl and in europe are sleeping? do you realize for a minute how DIFFICULT it is to have the level of consistency Arsenal and Manutd have shown for YEARS? Talk about underestimating things, this takes the biscuit.

Great teams and great managers are judged on the trophies they won. There's nothing ridiculous about this. If Wenger used to win trophies, and all of a sudden suffers a series of trophy-less campaigns, then I see nothing wrong in looking at the reasons responsible for his change in fortune. And yes, the arrival of senior Rafa Benitez & "The Special One" has a lot to do with the situation at Arsenal. It could also be that he's a manager in decline.
true. great managers are judged by the number of trophies they've won, does that mean giovanni trappatoni is any less a manager now than he was before? or ottmar hitzfeld? or is vicente del bosque any less a manager now than he was before?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Babafad wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Arsenal fans and board know, they only have the genius of Wenger to thank for even keeping them competitive on such limited resources.

So we should be eternally grateful to the extent that we put up with disasters such as Tuesday's result???

Come on Waffi. Wenger has made some serious mistakes this season. If I had made mistakes like that - in line with my job, I would be on the dole now. Believe it.

I have not said that Wenger hasn't done anything. He's done what he's paid to do. Only a f00l makes the same mistake twice, Wenger has dished up the same thing he delivered last season - "tap tap" football with nothing to show for it at the end of the day. The Arsenal board are mugus. Wenger don bamboozle dem, now they are stuck to his ar** and and can't free themselves. Fire Wenger - that's the answer. Nobody reads last years newspaper, so why should we still be holding on to the fact that we won the league 4 years ago??? :roll:

Contributors to Arsenal forums all over the net have been saying that Eboue is not good enough, yet Wenger puts him in ahead of Walcott. He moves Toure wide, and brings in the ever fumbling Senderos the end result we all saw on Tuesday - Liverpool's main man take am drink garri! :oops: Time and time again Senderos has done the same thing - abi the guy dey drop for Wenger or what's his 4ucking fascination with Senderos???

Damn Waffi, I've been supporting Arsenal as far back as I can remember - 5yrs old. Then, we used to live round the corner from Finsbury Park (just off Stroud Green Rd). Wenger looked clueless on Tuesday. Adebayor has scored goals that even my grand mother would have scored if she played for Arsenal, that is how good the "service" he has received has been. Are you telling me that Adebayor will get into Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool's first teams?????

Henry left because of this - he saw the writing on the wall. Arsenal have got to spend. It is crystal clear, that you can't get by on the cheap in the present day Premiership. Scratch the surface at the Emirates, there doesn't seem to be a lot underneath.
We go talk Saturday. :D :D :D :D
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:YAWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Damn do people only live in the here and now. People were spouting the same gibberish about SAF a few years ago after Man Utd have gone three seasons in a row without winning the EPL but now they' look at therm. Arsenal last season and Arsenal this season are incomparable, Arsenal have mad a huge lea forward this season and will be an even better side come next season.

AW is not finished tweaking his third Arsenal side, he will lead Arsenal back to the promise land and in time this thread will be utterly laughable and very much bump worthy.

I'd like to see AW achieve his success of the past without spending a considerable amount of cash. The league is now much more difficult and with managers like Sir Alex, Rafa, Ramos etc it will indeed be a challenge for Wenger.
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Babafad wrote:

What a load of rubbish.

FYI His post match "email" is only his exact quotes verbatim after the game which are posted on the web site, it's down to Arsenal.com to merely take his post match quotes and email them to supporters.

AW made mistakes but the idea he should be sacked is so stupid that I'm almost left speechless. Overall this team has made a massive leap forward and seems difficult now but they will be an even better side next season.

And who says he should be sacked?
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

maceo4 wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

I hope they'll bump this thread after winning the Champions League next season.

ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

Babafad wrote:

Babafad you never cease to amaze me were you not the same person after Milan victory said we are going to beat Liverf00L,i know the defeat pain una but you need to relax on Wenger and cool your nerves you win some and you lose some,one more season for the guy then we can talk.
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
tendai101 wrote:Tunisian Gunner lets not dodge facts.

In the %$#@^& Carling cup they lost to Coventry to should we base anything from the Carling cup? AW has made a few mistake's no doubt, but in his defense had Eduardo not been ravaged by that #$%$ Taylor we would be top of the league and likely in the semi finals of the CL.

FFS RELAXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Some Gooners act like it's hurts them more when we lose than AW, well newsflash it's one billion times more painful to him than it is to us. It's easy for all of us Gooners to sit here and berate AW but he is the man that has to one build a squad that can challenge the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea, help build and pay off the debt of the new stadium, and to create a squad on a shoe string budget the last four seasons. Do some Gooners truly think they know more than AW?

GIVE ME A BREAK

Heavy lies the crown lads, we're well on course for silverware, AW will do what is right for the club and a season from now this thread will be a CE CLASSIC.

If you guys keep finishing successive seasons trophy-less, you might lose Fabregas to Real or Barca.

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

Babafad wrote:

Good post, but I disagree that Wenger should be fired and I'm a Man U fan. Sacking him will not be justified especially after spending little or no money. If you urge the Barca board to sack Rijkaard, then that will be justified as they spent money on big name players. Wenger is good for the premiership cos he entertains us with "sexy football" and we love him for that. 8-)

Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Babafad wrote:

Understood.

AW is culpable for his decisions, esp lack of scoring threats out wide. It's also true that AW stubborn in playing players out of position, that was a poor decision and his lack of faith in players such as Theo, Denilison, Song and Diaby cost the likes of Cesc, Hleb and Flamini dearly over the season. That said Sagna injury was unforeseen, Eduardo injury was unforeseen, a veteran like Kolo terrible lack of judgement was unforeseen and to top it off two terrible decisions by officials was completely unforeseen.

It's hard to see through the pain, really hard but there is not a while lot wrong with this team, we do not need to add 10 players, we do not need an over haul as many thought after last season debacle let alone a season where we have challenged from day one. We do have to spend more than we have over the four summers in order put us over the top, we need more options out wide, we need a reliable partner for Ade, another GK to push Almunia for number but most importantly a top CB to partner Gallas. We need experience, diversity and the depth that will come with such additions.

That said the "fire AW" brigade need to take a breath, realize this team is far superior to the one from last season and should wait until at least the end of the summer before speculating that AW can not take this team any further.
Detective Bunk Moreland

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

platinum wrote:
Maradona wrote:
platinum wrote:for years, people said the current Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy could never win the superbowl, right from his time at tampa bay, they said he'd taken his teams as far as he could but would never be able to cross into the promised land. Today, the Colts and dungy have won the superbowl and every season they are amongst the top teams in the NFL.
To say Wenger is a coach in decline is ridiculous at best. The man has had Arsenal consistently challenging for titles from the get-go, he has the team playing the type of football people pay good money to see YET he's a coach in decline because his team hasnt won the league title in a few years or he has not won the champions league?
wow. who comes up with this garbage? do you think the other managers in the epl and in europe are sleeping? do you realize for a minute how DIFFICULT it is to have the level of consistency Arsenal and Manutd have shown for YEARS? Talk about underestimating things, this takes the biscuit.

Great teams and great managers are judged on the trophies they won. There's nothing ridiculous about this. If Wenger used to win trophies, and all of a sudden suffers a series of trophy-less campaigns, then I see nothing wrong in looking at the reasons responsible for his change in fortune. And yes, the arrival of senior Rafa Benitez & "The Special One" has a lot to do with the situation at Arsenal. It could also be that he's a manager in decline.
true. great managers are judged by the number of trophies they've won, does that mean giovanni trappatoni is any less a manager now than he was before? or ottmar hitzfeld? or is vicente del bosque any less a manager now than he was before?

Of cos Giovanni Trappatoni is a manager in decline and he's getting too old anyway. How many big teams do you see going after him? The same can be said of Hitzfeld. Del Bosque is just unlucky.

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Maradona wrote:
platinum wrote:
Maradona wrote:

Of cos Giovanni Trappatoni is a manager in decline and he's getting too old anyway. How many big teams do you see going after him? The same can be said of Hitzfeld. Del Bosque is just unlucky.

interesting point of view. i could have sworn 'trap' had teams banging on his door in austria before the irish finally snagged him. and the comment on hitzfeld is just wow! i mean whats there to say when you say a manager like ottmar hitzfeld is on the decline.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

I find most Gooners who scream for AW head are like my Goons mate. They talk so much $#% over the season but when they feel let down they turn on the team and AW. FYI next time do not talk so much smack.

I find that is a problem with far to many Gooners, when the going is good too many are celebrating on the roof tops certain of success, I tried to tell my own Gooner mates "Be happy but wary, the season is far from over". They in kind kept talking crap with our Mancs mate and now thay we have fallen off they have become bitter, insane Gooners looking to unleash their wrath on the team and AW.

This team we win silverware but a more humble approach by some Gooners would severe them well, as it will make one less bitter when times are hard.
Detective Bunk Moreland

tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

tendai101 wrote:Wenger like Rijkaard has a one track mind. They seem to know and play football one set way. They cant change tactics or style when the situation demands. On their day their teams are the best to watch but on an off day they reall suck whereas Manchester Utd have a certain directness and ruthlesness about them and can quickly change tactics even playing the long ball when it suits them. Man U attack in each and every way possible whereas Arsenal and Barcelona only do it a certain way and its much easier to legislate against that :cry: :cry: :cry:
Whilst i might be the most depressed Gooner out there - I've been a sports fan long enough to have an appreciation for Frank_R's CL winning Barca team - their imprint on the minds of many fans worldwide cannot be questioned. To seek unpopular ways to conquer opponents ain't " a one track mind" - it's about conviction.
How you attach that same criticism to Arsenal in a season where many have praised sheyi's heading skills feels like you're resorting to an playlist of comments - be more constructive else just farth for laughs.
AW in my opinion was reckless for not getting a couple of players in January - RVP getting injured in the carling cup 1st leg against spurs was an alarm call. Rosicky needed insurance - alas sheyi,cesc & flamini had to go on killer shifts without relief - the likes of Denilson,Diaby haven't matched their minutes from last season.
That great buys like Sagna & Eduardo joined the injury list is unfortunate - how can one start to analyse the decline in form of Eboue?
I'd say in overachieving at a time many had us not making the top 4 says a lot - easy how many aren't going back to their preseason predictions.

Lippi said:
Arsenal are all very strong teams but at the moment it is probably Arsenal who are the ones playing the best football in Europe.
"They manoeuvre the ball very well, it's very fast and very technical

Can Wenger be blamed?
As with many great leaders, his biggest strength - a commitment to attacking football played by young athletes assembled without breaking the bank - is also his biggest weakness. Wenger is unwilling to compromise in either regard, which may undermine his search for silverware but has made Arsenal the most entertaining side in Britain for several seasons. Most Arsenal fans would agree that the sacrifice is worth it.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 716450.ece

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 717226.ece
Matthew Syed:
Arsène Wenger could have instructed his team to play with the dispiriting pragmatism so beloved of his rival managers, but the mercurial Frenchman was not prepared to betray his nobler ideals, even when it might have improved his club’s chances of success
Arsenal’s relentless and unadulterated pursuit of beauty has itself been a thing of beauty: a daring, epic and ultimately doomed journey that has taken the English game, against all expectation, into the territory of the artistic. Wenger has done more for neutral supporters in one season — talking spiritually now, talking of our moral fabric — than an eternity of watching the spirit-sapping utilitarianism of men such as José Mourinho and Rafael Benítez
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.