Italy can sneak it. Just look at the Spanish shaking already

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

Both countries are the same and are welcomed to kick the $#% out of each other.
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

Elexus wrote: When Barcelona played against Arsenal in the final of the champions League, Lemans committed almost the same foul against Eto'o. Lemans was expelled but no penalty was given. Referees should not do both unless the infringement is egregious. They can award a penalty and allow the player to stay or expel a player and not give a penalty. Had Abidal played, I believe the French would have come back.
Dude, first of all Barca could'nt have gotten a pk since the foul was NOT in the penalty box . :?

Secondly, unless Elexus means FIFA in your native language, why oppose the ref for following the rules of the game ? Besides, the foul prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity regardless of whether it was egregious or not !
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Elexus wrote:
bret- hart wrote:no wonder they always lose out at this stage. how can u be scared of ur opponents? these guys have already lost even without kicking the ball. it will be a monumental upset if Spain gets past Italy on saturday.
When you have not beaten an opponent for nearly 90 years, why wouldn't you be scared? Now they have got Torres and Villa spearheading the attack. If Spain cannot do it this time, then it may take another 100 years to do it.
Italy had used every trick in the book to qualify. They claimed the referees had ganged up against them, cleverly and conveniently ignoring the fact that a Spanish referee gave them a penalty in the very last kick of extra time at the world cup in Germany to overcome an impressive Australia. Italy were on their way home against Australia especially as they were reduced to ten men.
Yesterday, the referee awarded a penalty against the French and at the same time expelled Abidal. I thought the penalty was justified but not the expulsion. When Barcelona played against Arsenal in the final of the champions League, Lemans committed almost the same foul against Eto'o. Lemans was expelled but no penalty was given. Referees should not do both unless the infringement is egregious. They can award a penalty and allow the player to stay or expel a player and not give a penalty. Had Abidal played, I believe the French would have come back.
HOw is it that Italy are almost always awarded a penalty in a crucial match? Italy were awared a penalty when reduced to ten men against Nigeria, awarded a penalty when reduced to ten men against Australia, awarded a penalty against Germany in Euro 1996 while facing elimination.
It may all be mere coincidences, but Italy should be the last to complain about referees.
JESUS CHRIST ON NAZARETH!!!! :shock: :shock: NO BE LIE OH,ITALY DEY ALWAYS GET PK'S :shock:
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

Globero wrote:
Elexus wrote: When Barcelona played against Arsenal in the final of the champions League, Lemans committed almost the same foul against Eto'o. Lemans was expelled but no penalty was given. Referees should not do both unless the infringement is egregious. They can award a penalty and allow the player to stay or expel a player and not give a penalty. Had Abidal played, I believe the French would have come back.
Dude, first of all Barca could'nt have gotten a pk since the foul was NOT in the penalty box . :?

Secondly, unless Elexus means FIFA in your native language, why oppose the ref for following the rules of the game ? Besides, the foul prevented a clear goal scoring opportunity regardless of whether it was egregious or not !
tHIRDLY aSSENAL 4 LIFE u FORGOT TO ADD THAT EWU :twisted: :P
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

omey2k4 wrote:
Globero wrote:

tHIRDLY aSSENAL 4 LIFE u FORGOT TO ADD THAT EWU :twisted: :P
Sorry, Omey, did'nt mean to dissapoint u ! :lol:

.... Arsenal for life ! :D
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Globero wrote:

Who asked you? :lol: I'm with Elexus on this one, the ref would have been a bigger man if he allowed Abidal to stay on the pitch. Poor Abidal.
As per the topic, if Spain play their game the way they've been playing, they should be able to beat Italy. The italians can break under a fast paced, passing game. They even struggled against a very determined Scottish side playing with heart.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

felarey wrote:
Globero wrote:

Who asked you? :lol: I'm with Elexus on this one, the ref would have been a bigger man if he allowed Abidal to stay on the pitch. Poor Abidal.
As per the topic, if Spain play their game the way they've been playing, they should be able to beat Italy. The italians can break under a fast paced, passing game. They even struggled against a very determined Scottish side playing with heart.
who asked you to ask me "who asked you ? " ? :lol:
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Globero wrote:
felarey wrote:
Globero wrote:

Who asked you to ask me who asked me to ask you? :P But honestly at club level, I would have been with the ref all the way but the penalty should have been enough considering the occassion and what was at stake. He gave Italy an almost certain goal then assisted them for the rest of the game with a send off. He just threw the books at Abidal...actually he threw the library at him.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

felarey wrote:
Globero wrote:
felarey wrote:
Globero wrote:

Who asked you to ask me who asked me to ask you? :P But honestly at club level, I would have been with the ref all the way but the penalty should have been enough considering the occassion and what was at stake. He gave Italy an almost certain goal then assisted them for the rest of the game with a send off. He just threw the books at Abidal...actually he threw the library at him.
felarey, I actually do agree with you in one sense, but I also think Abidal deserved to be sent off because his tackle showed a sense of naivity as oppose to a simply mistimed tackle.

I think FIFA has to do more to give more lead way regarding the rule itself rather than us trying to blame the ref for imposing it !
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

For those who are quick to write off the Azurri I say remember 1982 and how Italy barely scraped past Cameroon in the 1st Rd.

So far Italy is yet to play well, yet she has scored three goals, won and drawn one game...So far Luca Toni has not played well...Luca needs just one goal and it wil all change...

Forza Azurri!
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:For those who are quick to write off the Azurri I say remember 1982 and how Italy barely scraped past Cameroon in the 1st Rd.

So far Italy is yet to play well, yet she has scored three goals, won and drawn one game...So far Luca Toni has not played well...Luca needs just one goal and it wil all change...

Forza Azurri!
Therein lies my worries for Spain. If Toni finds his shooting boots, and sod's law might deem it time to do so in the Spain game, then Spain with their weak defence could be in serious trouble.

However, Spain have a lot going for them this time around. IMHO, they are not as weak as they once were mentally. They have Torres and Villa and Italy do not have Nesta and Cannavaro in CD.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

I want to see Spain vs Portugal -Italy and Germany must fall!!
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

cic old boy wrote:
Mister Dolly wrote:The problem with Spain is that they have no spine and stomach for a fight which is why Italy will punk them out again...
This may be true about previous Spanish teams, but not entirely correct about the current side. Puyol is prepared to go toe-to-toe with Tyson. Marcos Senna is around now to even the bruise count and El Nino Torres is no shrinking violet. That is the spine of the team - from defence through to attack.

What makes football great is that no one really knows how this one will pan out. On current form, the Spanish attack should be able to drive a trailer through an Italian defence that chopped 3 goals against Holland. But the pressure is on Spain and Italy can play with the freedom of a team that knows it was given a second lease of life.
The Spanish defense lacks mental stamina. They lose concentration at the end of games. This will be punished by decent teams.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Elexus wrote:
bret- hart wrote:no wonder they always lose out at this stage. how can u be scared of ur opponents? these guys have already lost even without kicking the ball. it will be a monumental upset if Spain gets past Italy on saturday.
When you have not beaten an opponent for nearly 90 years, why wouldn't you be scared? Now they have got Torres and Villa spearheading the attack. If Spain cannot do it this time, then it may take another 100 years to do it.
Italy had used every trick in the book to qualify. They claimed the referees had ganged up against them, cleverly and conveniently ignoring the fact that a Spanish referee gave them a penalty in the very last kick of extra time at the world cup in Germany to overcome an impressive Australia. Italy were on their way home against Australia especially as they were reduced to ten men.
Yesterday, the referee awarded a penalty against the French and at the same time expelled Abidal. I thought the penalty was justified but not the expulsion. When Barcelona played against Arsenal in the final of the champions League, Lemans committed almost the same foul against Eto'o. Lemans was expelled but no penalty was given. Referees should not do both unless the infringement is egregious. They can award a penalty and allow the player to stay or expel a player and not give a penalty. Had Abidal played, I believe the French would have come back.
HOw is it that Italy are almost always awarded a penalty in a crucial match? Italy were awared a penalty when reduced to ten men against Nigeria, awarded a penalty when reduced to ten men against Australia, awarded a penalty against Germany in Euro 1996 while facing elimination.
It may all be mere coincidences, but Italy should be the last to complain about referees.
How do you caution a player for a foul in the box and not give a penalty? In the IFAB rule book that was a penalty. The color of the card is left to the ref. to decide.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
phantomjournalist
Egg
Egg

Post by phantomjournalist »

All this postulating, but the fact remains that the Spanish have a sh*t defense. Same old story, conceding very cheap goals time and time again.
Blue is the color.
Killa Adjei wrote: Barcelona won the champions league something your useless team can only touch in their dreams..
%$#@^& moron.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

When I think of Italy I remember Cameroon. A country know for ruggedness, no finesse yet always winning somehow somehow.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
quickie
Egg
Egg

Post by quickie »

Globero wrote:
The thing taya me o!

...and who be Lemans btw? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Q
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Italia are going home. This is the tournament of reversals. Holland had not beaten Italy since 1978, until this tournament. Russia had never beaten Sweden before, until this tournament.

Wha choo looking at?!
PapaK
Egg
Egg

Post by PapaK »

If I was Holland's coach, there's no way in hell I would give Italy a 2nd chance. They should have lost 0-1 to Romania and eliminate both Italy and France. What they have done by beating Italy 3-0 and then beating Romania 2-0 is like bruising a snake without beheading it. Whenever it recovers, it can become very dangerous.
Italy are known to be slow starters. I remember very well that at USA 94, Italy finished 3rd from their group (best losers - all of them in the group had 4 points each), they eliminated Nigeria in the 2nd round, Spain in q/final, Bulgaria in the semi and lost in the final on penalty shoot-out to Brazil. In 2000, when Holland hosted Euro 2000, they were beating everybody red, blue and orange until they met a not too fantastic Italy in the semi-final. Holland dominated from the first blast of whistle till the final minute. But all that didn't count because they just couldn't find a way to get one goal. They had a penalty in the first half, Toldo saved Frank de Boer's kick (by the way De Boer was usually very reliable from the spot). They had another penalty in the 2nd half, Kluivert beat Toldo but not the goal post. After extra time, they went to penalty shoot-out. Holland lost 3 of their kicks and Italy found themselves in the final. They faced world champions France and despite all of Zidane's brilliance and Italy's lacklustre performance Italy led 1-0 until 89 minute when Wiltord's shot miraculously missed sea of legs to cross over the line. It took a Trezeguet's over-time golden goal to deny Italy an unlikely trophy.
In short, watch out for Italy because they will eliminate Spain and then eliminate Portugal/Germany. They will surely play the final and I hope Holland wont come back to regret not eliminating them at the preliminary round
Never enter into a quarrel with an id!ot, lest he drag you down to his level and then beat you up with experience.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

PapaK wrote:If I was Holland's coach, there's no way in hell I would give Italy a 2nd chance. They should have lost 0-1 to Romania and eliminate both Italy and France. What they have done by beating Italy 3-0 and then beating Romania 2-0 is like bruising a snake without beheading it. Whenever it recovers, it can become very dangerous.
Italy are known to be slow starters. I remember very well that at USA 94, Italy finished 3rd from their group (best losers - all of them in the group had 4 points each), they eliminated Nigeria in the 2nd round, Spain in q/final, Bulgaria in the semi and lost in the final on penalty shoot-out to Brazil. In 2000, when Holland hosted Euro 2000, they were beating everybody red, blue and orange until they met a not too fantastic Italy in the semi-final. Holland dominated from the first blast of whistle till the final minute. But all that didn't count because they just couldn't find a way to get one goal. They had a penalty in the first half, Toldo saved Frank de Boer's kick (by the way De Boer was usually very reliable from the spot). They had another penalty in the 2nd half, Kluivert beat Toldo but not the goal post. After extra time, they went to penalty shoot-out. Holland lost 3 of their kicks and Italy found themselves in the final. They faced world champions France and despite all of Zidane's brilliance and Italy's lacklustre performance Italy led 1-0 until 89 minute when Wiltord's shot miraculously missed sea of legs to cross over the line. It took a Trezeguet's over-time golden goal to deny Italy an unlikely trophy.
In short, watch out for Italy because they will eliminate Spain and then eliminate Portugal/Germany. They will surely play the final and I hope Holland wont come back to regret not eliminating them at the preliminary round
I hear you.

This is why the Spanish paper Marca said:
"The same old Italy; the Italy that never plays football but always wins. Champions of the world and champions of luck".
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

cchinukw wrote:When I think of Italy I remember Cameroon. A country know for ruggedness, no finesse yet always winning somehow somehow.
Nna, I don't know about this o!

Cameroon are known as the "Germany of Africa". Finesse was invented in Italy, from classic cars like Ferrari, to the style of Armani, Gucci, etc, to elegance and style from a long line of classy players such as Gianni Rivera, Roberto Bettega, Giancarlo Antognoni, Bruno Conti, Gaetano Scirea, Antonio Cabrini, Robby Baggio, Gianfranco Zola, Paulo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Alessandro Nesta, etc. Even the current team has solid ballers like Pirlo, Fabio Grosso, Zambrotta, etc.

Italians have always blended the finer points of the game with hardness.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

cic old boy wrote:
cchinukw wrote:When I think of Italy I remember Cameroon. A country know for ruggedness, no finesse yet always winning somehow somehow.

Cameroon are known as the "Germany of Africa". Finesse was invented in Italy, from classic cars like Ferrari, to the style of Armani, Gucci, etc, to elegance and style from a long line of classy players such as Gianni Rivera, Roberto Bettega, Giancarlo Antognoni, Bruno Conti, Gaetano Scirea, Antonio Cabrini, Robby Baggio, Gianfranco Zola, Paulo Maldini, Franco Baresi, Alessandro Nesta, etc. Even the current team has solid ballers like Pirlo, Fabio Grosso, Zambrotta, etc.

So time wasting, diving, feigning injuries and conning the ref is hardness?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

CIC,
Thank you bro...Folks come here and mouth off without enough knowledge of the subject...

There is a fine art to the concept of defense and the Italians have mastered it...This team may not be the classic Italian vintage of say 1982, but it has the potentials to redefine Italian football..All that is left is for Luca to find his range....

cic old boy wrote:

Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp