Club owners threaten to form parallel league body

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Source: http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/sports/article03

From Chris Garba, Abuja
PRO-LEAGUE club owners last night in Abuja rose from their emergency meeting and announced their rejection of the Implementation Management Committee (IMC) appointed by the Sports Minister, Col. Musa Mohammed (rtd.) to manage the proposed autonomous Professional League Board.

In a statement by the Chairman of Kwara United Football Club, Dr. Ayo Bello, the association said that the appointment of the implementation committee by the sports minister was not in conformity with FIFA's stand on non-interference by government in football matters.

"In view of the above, the club owners unanimously call on all corporate sponsors of the league to stay away from the Nigerian Professional Football League until the issue at stake is resolved," the statement said.

Bello called upon the minister to clarify what he meant by "real club owners", stressing that both government-sponsored and private pro league clubs were not going to register for the league until the proper constitution of the autonomous league board was put in place.

About 36 football clubs were represented at the meeting, which was postponed from Monday, December 27, 2004.
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Fourteen
Egg
Egg
Re: Club owners threaten to form parallel league body

Post by Fourteen »

Mister Dolly wrote:Source: http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/sports/article03

From Chris Garba, Abuja
PRO-LEAGUE club owners last night in Abuja rose from their emergency meeting and announced their rejection of the Implementation Management Committee (IMC) appointed by the Sports Minister, Col. Musa Mohammed (rtd.) to manage the proposed autonomous Professional League Board.

In a statement by the Chairman of Kwara United Football Club, Dr. Ayo Bello, the association said that the appointment of the implementation committee by the sports minister was not in conformity with FIFA's stand on non-interference by government in football matters.

"In view of the above, the club owners unanimously call on all corporate sponsors of the league to stay away from the Nigerian Professional Football League until the issue at stake is resolved," the statement said.

Bello called upon the minister to clarify what he meant by "real club owners", stressing that both government-sponsored and private pro league clubs were not going to register for the league until the proper constitution of the autonomous league board was put in place.

About 36 football clubs were represented at the meeting, which was postponed from Monday, December 27, 2004.
**Pulls up his chair and enters siddon look mode**
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

This is actually not a bad move. If I remember right, this was how the pro league board was born here in the UK and see what success they have made of the Premier league.

These chaps should now sit down, approach sponsors directly and make sure they attract majority of the money going to their rival league. To do this they must get Enyimba and Kalu on board.

This might just be the beginning of the future of Nigerian football. I wish them well and hope they have the liver to carry their actions thru.
To stop trying is to start dying
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Shownoja wrote:This is actually not a bad move. If I remember right, this was how the pro league board was born here in the UK and see what success they have made of the Premier league.

These chaps should now sit down, approach sponsors directly and make sure they attract majority of the money going to their rival league. To do this they must get Enyimba and Kalu on board.

This might just be the beginning of the future of Nigerian football. I wish them well and hope they have the liver to carry their actions thru.
Only snag is, they dont actually "own" the clubs. Except for Gabriel Chukwuma who owns Gabros, the rest are government appointees running government clubs.

The real moniker for that body should have been club chairmen association, or club managers association, and certainly not club owners.
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Shownoja wrote:This is actually not a bad move. If I remember right, this was how the pro league board was born here in the UK and see what success they have made of the Premier league.

Shownoja:

It is more similar to the Kenyan situation which eventually forced FIFA to take action. I bet Kenya will come in handy as the precedence here.
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Man it is important for all these clubs to be privatised. Floating them on the Market will be a first step. But Clubs in Europe make money from jerseys et al ...
KickOff Chief wrote:

Only snag is, they dont actually "own" the clubs. Except for Gabriel Chukwuma who owns Gabros, the rest are government appointees running government clubs.

The real moniker for that body should have been club chairmen association, or club managers association, and certainly not club owners.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

A LOT OR PEOPLE BELIEVE THE LEAGUE SHOULD BE A PRIVATE AFFAIR

This would mean no govt. role (Kalu & his ilk should back off) and render these new decisions moot.
Bell
Cyber Saint

Post by Cyber Saint »

KickOff Chief wrote:

Thanks for this basic clarifications, KOC. You must have read my mind b'cos I was about to ask, 'how many real pro league club owners do we have in Nigeria?'