Trouble Brewing at NFA Emergency meeting

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

KoC
Egg
Egg
Trouble Brewing at NFA Emergency meeting

Post by KoC »

There is serious wahala in the works. From what I have been able to glean from the yet-to-be-concluded Emergency General Meeting, the NFA is set to fight the Minister to a stand-still over his recent pronouncements.

At the mo, info leaked to me is that a letter has been written to the Minister with an ultimatum to reverse all the decisions he has taken between now and Monday, otherwise the NFA will fight him all the way.

Club owners are also spitting fire.

The Minister's camp is not sleeping too. They are poised for a fight. Everybdy is using all means available-fair and foul-- and the fight promises to be real DIRTY.

More news as it comes . . .
. . . all about the players. Total posts: 725 and counting. . .

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
---Polly waxes lyrical after Burnley nyansh the ARSE
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

KOC:

Kickoff has some important questions to answer here. Who was the source of the story that Kickoff posted painting this emergency meeting as one that will merely endorse the Minister's action?

Furthermore, the usually antagonistic NewAge Sports has someone become mute on several of these matters since the appointment of Ojeikere. I wonder what has happened to his pre-appointment claim that he was fighting for the truth and the quest to see that Nigeria does not violate FIFA statutes.

In any case, what you have just posted is what I and I hope most Nigerians should expect. The Minister's action should not be tolerated. It certainly crossed the line. Just my 2-pence.
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Enugu II wrote:KOC:

Kickoff has some important questions to answer here. Who was the source of the story that Kickoff posted painting this emergency meeting as one that will merely endorse the Minister's action?

Furthermore, the usually antagonistic NewAge Sports has someone become mute on several of these matters since the appointment of Ojeikere. I wonder what has happened to his pre-appointment claim that he was fighting for the truth and the quest to see that Nigeria does not violate FIFA statutes.

In any case, what you have just posted is what I and I hope most Nigerians should expect. The Minister's action should not be tolerated. It certainly crossed the line. Just my 2-pence.
EnuguII

First, you know I cannot disclose sources if they dont want to be, and this one doesnt want to be. Secondly, it wasnt my story, but i know the source is usually reliable.

You can never ever be 100% sure of anything, and we do get it wrong sometimes and accept that as part of the risks we take in this business of information gathering where you depend on people to tell you what is going down. Its a fact of life. Even the best media house all over the world goof occasionally.

One thing we have always tried to do at KON is balance our stories. If we get this side today, we wil definitely get the other side 2moro, and where possible, put them side by side.

As for newAge, I cannot speak for them. Its every man to his tent O Israel.

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

I love Arsenal. Such entertainment!! The kind of soccer we want for the kind of results we hate!!!
Penarity
Egg
Egg

Post by Penarity »

Enugu II wrote:KOC:

Either the source is known or not, left to me, Nigeria deserves the FIFA hammer so as to purge the yeye people wey dey run our affairs. Nonesense!
ayomeks
Egg
Egg

Post by ayomeks »

Whatever the problem is, let it augur well for Nigerian football.
To contibute my quota
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

KOC:

Thanks for the response. I must say that when I read the story on Kickoff (which btw is my first source of news), I was taken aback because I first thought that these board members were simply a bunch of sissies who have sold their souls. This is one fight that they ought to fight with all their might because they have FIFA's leverage on their side and precedence shows that the Minister cannot win this. So I asked, why meekly endorse the Minister's obvious transgression? However, I was more elated after reading other Nigerian news sources that indicated that a fight was indeed on.

In my opinion, I can simply conclude that the undisclosed source who spoke to Kickoff must have been one of the few that the Ministry had lobbied successfully and he attempt to use Kickoff to influence the opinion of the public and other board members. Kickoff should at the very least have contacted other board members before carying the story, IMO.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

MINISTER'S ACTIONS MAY HAVE BEEN HIGH-HANDED, AND DECISIONS DEBATABLE, BUT...

...the performance of the NFA over a long period of time means that it can count on only miniscule public sympathy.
Bell
ayomeks
Egg
Egg

Post by ayomeks »

Don't blame kICK OFF
It is not their fault.
But my take is that football should be better for all the wahala that is currently running our football.
To contibute my quota
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

I love Nigeria!
We never miss the opportunity to miss an opportunity!
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

And we have a world cup qualifier in less than 10 weeks time. This guys will surely kill 2006 wc.
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

And we have a world cup qualifier in less than 10 weeks time. This guys will surely kill 2006 wc.

COYS
oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg

COYS
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Its like this: the Minister and the NFA board had agreed in principle that some principal staff of the NFA had to go, starting with Ogunjobi.

It was also agreed that their removal be delayed until after the New Year and the announcement to be made by the NFA chairman. Also, in the revised statutes approved by Fifa, it was stated that the government nominees would serve out their terms.

But the Minister, perhaps wanting to take the glory for sanitising the NFA, went ahead to announced the removals, and did so without the courtesy of informing the board.

Now, the problem here is that the minister's action negates all the good work done at Fifa headquarters.

Decree 101 is what is about to be trashed, and is what has Fifa's Sword of Damocles hanging over Nigeria. But it is under the ambit of the same Decree 101 that the Minister has acted in carrying out his sweeping reforms.

If he had stuck to the original arrangement of allowing the announcement to come from the NFA, this mess would not have arisen at all.

Now we are set for a huge confrontation, because my sources say the Minister is not willing to back down. neither is the NFA.

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

furiously frank
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by furiously frank »

Thanks EII and KOC for your respective insight into this developing story. This is what I tell folks who understand little or nothing about journalism and yet go about yabbing bla bla about "sauces" and truth. In this business, you go with what you have with a little wiggle room here and there to cross check facts. Balancing comes in when you know you have been used and KON have been good at doing that.
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote:And we have a world cup qualifier in less than 10 weeks time. This guys will surely kill 2006 wc.
Na WC qualifier you dey talk? We have the AYC in less than 3 weeks if I am not mistaken. And if Nigeria don't do well in that competition, they will blame the coach. :evil:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
KoC
Egg
Egg

Post by KoC »

Blogzilla
KickOff Nigeria

Obinna
Egg
Egg
All the chaos

Post by Obinna »

Gotti-

You said it best! Maybe sancations aganist the NFA might presents an opportunity at last.. But, knowing Nigeria like I do.. I doubt that would be enough :roll:
Owerri-Aba Road
Obinna
Egg
Egg
All the chaos

Post by Obinna »

Gotti-

You said it best! Maybe sancations aganist the NFA might presents an opportunity at last.. But, knowing Nigeria like I do.. I doubt that would be enough :roll:
Owerri-Aba Road
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

KOC:

Man, the agreement that you mentioned that was reached between the board (Galadima ?) and Minister was the best deal. If those changes were announced by Galadima then it would have been difficult to challenge those announcements. Right now, the board has taken the appropriate action --- FIGHT THIS TO THE BITTEREST END. Perhaps, Minister Musa will learn when to and when not to pick a fight.

If FIFA acts adversely then the public wrath will find this Minister's bags packed in no time. He will now have to appease Nigerian fans or deal with the consequences of appeasing his own self interest.
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Enugu II wrote:

KOC:

Man, the agreement that you mentioned that was reached between the board (Galadima ?) and Minister was the best deal. If those changes were announced by Galadima then it would have been difficult to challenge those announcements. Right now, the board has taken the appropriate action --- FIGHT THIS TO THE BITTEREST END. Perhaps, Minister Musa will learn when and when not to pick a fight.
I knew their was trouble brewing when I received a call from a board member on Sunday saying they were going to reject the minister's changes today...and when I spoke wit one of Ogunjobi's confidants yesterday and he was confident that his man was going nowhere, I knew the battleline had finally been drawn.

From what I also gathered from another source close to the newly appointed interim SG said Odegbami has been advised to start making noise about his appointment and come out with statements so as to give his position legitimacy.

The only casualty of this inpending war are the football aspirations of the whole nation as we are now witnessing power hungry officials going nuts over estacode potential..
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

MD:

Frankly, if it means sacrifising the U-20 and U-17 then so be it but the Minister and power-drunks like him must be called to order. From what KOC has mentioned, he had the opportunity to make this thing work by having Galadima duly make these announcements. He simply passed it up and chose to show his fangs instead. That cannot be tolerated and I am happy that that message will be sent. While I feel that some of those guys relieved should have been relieved, it was not the Minister's duty to do so.
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Enugu II wrote:MD:

Frankly, if it means sacrifising the U-20 and U-17 then so be it but the Minister and power-drunks like him must be called to order. From what KOC has mentioned, he had the opportunity to make this thing work by having Galadima duly make these announcements. He simply passed it up and chose to show his fangs instead. That cannot be tolerated and I am happy that that message will be sent. While I feel that some of those guys relieved should have been relieved, it was not the Minister's duty to do so.
EnuguII:
As I said somewhere else, if it is true that some of those dismissed by the minister including the SecGen had regularized their appoitments by getting enlisted in the civil service into the Sports Ministry, then the minister had the right to fire them as they are by default his staff. He however should have allowed the board to make the appointments which is where I felt he grossly erred.
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Mister Dolly wrote:
Enugu II wrote:MD:

EnuguII:
As I said somewhere else, if it is true that some of those dismissed by the minister including the SecGen had regularized their appoitments by getting enlisted in the civil service into the Sports Ministry, then the minister had the right to fire them as they are by default his staff. He however should have allowed the board to make the appointments which is where I felt he grossly erred.

Yes, if they were regularized as civil servants but I thought the reports indicated that they had letters indicating appointments by the NFA? As you point out, he had no business making those appointments.