THE FUTURE: On Oliseh, and others…..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Who should be Nigeria's next Coach?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:25 am

Sunday Oliseh
33%
Daniel Amokachi
3%
Manu Garba
3%
Samson Siasia
49%
Carlos Queiroz
No votes
Alain Giresse
5%
Other (Suggest name within the thread)
8%

Total votes: 39

Riversboy
Egg
Egg
Re: THE FUTURE: On Oliseh, and others…..

Post by Riversboy »

Lolly wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Lolly wrote:
Riversboy wrote:
Lolly wrote:
txj wrote:I think it will be a monumental error to simply replace the coach. Merely replacing one name with another or retaining the current just doesn't cut it.

There are fundamental issues at play here that need to be seriously considered.

Therefore we need far more serious analysis of where we are atm and why we are here...

Far more serious analysis. Our problem is we do not analyze issues properly..
Are they the same issues that helped Manu Garba deliver the U17 world cup?
Many of the major hurdles to going far at the FIFA World Cup simply do not exist at U-17 level, so it is a poor indicator of a coach or player or team or FA. We won it twice and collected one silver before ever qualifying for the WC.

RB.
Kindly point out the hurdles please. Note I only mentioned the Manu team. I don't recognise the other U17 tiles for obvious reasons.
gladly.

The "technical gap" is the largest one. To put it simply:

At teenage level, European players have not developed their technical abilities to the point where they can routinely outplay African superior talent.

After mid teens, for various reasons (lack of academies, poor leagues, difficulties adjusting to Europe for those who migrate), our players' development generally takes a slower trajectory than their Euro counterparts.

The economic need to migrate and play abroad scatters most of our best talent across Europe too early in Their development, and we never develop a well grounded "national style" or "football philosophy".

Apart from the technical gap, there are psychological issues. The "big boy" syndrome, which saps ambition out of Nigerian players (and most Naijas) at the critical moment when a further push is the difference between true achievement and "I have arrived". U-17 Naijas are hungrier than the SE, no matter what, whereas the opposite is true in Europe.

rB.
Some good points here.

But that is why I will always consider an Osaze or Ike due to their superior technical abilities ratheg than someone like Mba, Ejike or Rueben. You can't compete at the top level with poor players. No matter how good team chemistry is. We need to wake up and smell the coffee.
I agree that taking less technically adept players puts a ceiling on what we can achieve or how far we can go. However, taking talented players who are not team-minded or whose egos are out of control increases the risk of premature implosion. Higher risk, but potentially higher rewards.

There are very few coaches who have a proven ability to manage a team of egos and harness them I to a team structure. While we could probably afford them, I doubt many of them would want to work within our crazy system.

RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Amokachi interim coach? This is bad comedy, completely useless
Now is the time for the NFF to be proactive and make decision because we are weeks away from our next match
But I know they won't because they will be punch drunk with the enjoyment they have had in Brazil, chopping all sorts of strange flesh and money
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Unbelievable! People are voting for $ia$ia! We deserve every crap that comes our way!
http://www.naijiant.com/
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

cic old boy wrote:Unbelievable! People are voting for $ia$ia! We deserve every crap that comes our way!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

1) Patrick Kliuvert
2) Finidi George.

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Finidi George returns to football

By Pieter Stroink van Eizenga
BBC Sport, Amsterdam
Former Nigeria international Finidi George has returned to the Dutch league after 17 years away - this time for an internship at Dutch minnows PEC Zwolle as part of his coaching course.
The 41-year-old retired from playing in 2004 after a trophy-laden 15-year career, which included winning the Africa Cup of Nations in 1994 and three league titles and the 1995 Champions League with Dutch side Ajax.
After almost a decade away from football, George is back to embark on a new chapter.
He told BBC Sport: "I spent three years on the Mallorcan beaches in the sun after my retirement from football in 2004. I had to get rid of the tension and the stressful life. However, I just knew I would return [to the sport] one day. I was missing football, it has always been part of my life.
Continue reading the main story

I could also do the course in Amsterdam at Ajax, but Zwolle has agreed to pay my hotel bills

Finidi George
"There is actually no connection with PEC Zwolle. It was the best option for me; the club is neither too big nor too small.
"Right now, I'm doing an internship here as part of my coaching course, which takes three months.
"I hope to learn about the psychological aspects of coaching. When you play, you only follow up instructions. When you're a coach it's a totally different job. I have enough knowledge, but to translate it to the pitch, that's something else."
However, George does feel he knows what is wrong with Nigerian football - despite the fact the Super Eagles have just won the Nations Cup.
"It's all about the administration, there is no general view on how to develop football in Nigeria," he said.

"I see fewer players of Nigerian descent breaking through in European football than before. You need to have a formation before you select your players for national team."
"They [officials] should try centralising talented youth players in youth academies. However, it takes time and money to reform and implement certain youth programs. This way, you can control the development of football.
"Smaller countries are making progress. Cape Verde, with a population of about 500,000 qualified for the nations cup. It's a signal. We need to be ahead of the curve."
The future will tell whether George can go on to successfully implement his ideas and can carve out a coaching career that will match his playing career.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21491263

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

bLACK COACHES ONLY PLS. :thumbs:
OCCUPY NFF!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:bLACK COACHES ONLY PLS. :thumbs:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

cic old boy wrote:Unbelievable! People are voting for $ia$ia! We deserve every crap that comes our way!
You no see why they feel aggrieved that Keshi was given the job inspite of Siasia successfully not qualifying us for the AFCON?

They want to be entertained while sitting at home and watching other countries play at the tournaments.

While you are busy criticizing Keshi for football related reasons, they are still pining for Siasia... :? :(
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

Appointing Oliseh as coach will be a very high risk move. There's nothing to go on about his coaching ability. At least we had an idea of Siasia and Keshi's abilities as coaches.

I've read Oliseh's blog and there's nothing non-consensus on it that wows the imagination.

Anyways, the NFF will do what the NFF will do.
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
Eaglemaniac
Egg
Egg
Oliseh and Finidi

Post by Eaglemaniac »

What do the soon to be announced SE coaches being to the table? What are their strengths and weaknesses as coaches? What has been the character of the teams they have coached? And what should we expect from the SE after their appointments?

Long Live King Obi!!
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Oliseh and Finidi

Post by bushboy »

Oliseh is a sound football mind. He is a student of the game, and had been working with FIFA's techical team at major tournaments. However, his only coaching gig was with a division 5 team in Belgium, and that didn't last too long. Finidi is also a UEFA A license holder. He has worked under good coaches like Van Gal, and he seems like he knows his onions. His only coaching gig was coaching the youth team og a segunda team.
Both look good on PAPER, but have very little real experience. But that was also true of Klinsman, Koeman, and other coaches that have enjoyed success. We will see what they bring.
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Eaglemaniac wrote:What do the soon to be announced SE coaches being to the table? What are their strengths and weaknesses as coaches? What has been the character of the teams they have coached? And what should we expect from the SE after their appointments?
Says who?

Eaglemaniac
Egg
Egg

Post by Eaglemaniac »

cchinukw wrote:
Eaglemaniac wrote:What do the soon to be announced SE coaches being to the table? What are their strengths and weaknesses as coaches? What has been the character of the teams they have coached? And what should we expect from the SE after their appointments?
Says who?
You are late to the party.

Long Live King Obi!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Eaglemaniac wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
Says who?
You are late to the party.
huh?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Staff Sgt Cota VI
Egg
Egg

Post by Staff Sgt Cota VI »

They bring with them discipline, balance and thorough understanding of the game.
Catalyst
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Catalyst »

Wonderful Nigerians indeed.

Why on earth will one choose failure, intentionally?
Christ died for our sins, and was resurrected for our sake. This is indisputable. This is the center of it all.
The earth is not our home.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/7711/opaks.gif
http://www.katzy.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/bsflag.gif
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I would take the combination of Samson Siasia, Marnu Garba, and Amunike. These are Nigerian coaches with proven track record at Global competitions. The ANC alone must not be our target anymore. My Ideal team would be:

Samson Siasia -- Manager
Marnu Garba - Assistant
Amunike - Technical Assistant
Ike Shorumu .. Goal Keeper Coach.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

kalani JR wrote:Will Manu Garba be respected by the players?

His U-17 team respected him. I see no reason why not if he fills the team with his tested and true players.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Catalyst wrote:
Wonderful Nigerians indeed.

Why on earth will one choose failure, intentionally?

Very good question. Perhaps the same questions should be applied towards your appointment and continued presence as a moderator on these boards.
Last edited by metalalloy on Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

1naija wrote:I would take the combination of Samson Siasia, Marnu Garba, and Amunike. These are Nigerian coaches with proven track record at Global competitions. The ANC alone must not be our target anymore. My Ideal team would be:

Samson Siasia -- Manager
Marnu Garba - Assistant

Supported. But if Manu nicks it, I won't mind either.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

balo wrote:
1naija wrote:I would take the combination of Samson Siasia, Marnu Garba, and Amunike. These are Nigerian coaches with proven track record at Global competitions. The ANC alone must not be our target anymore. My Ideal team would be:

Samson Siasia -- Manager
Marnu Garba - Assistant

Supported. But if Manu nicks it, I won't mind either.

I said Siasia because of his Olympics experience, but I would take Manu also. I think Nigeria has to start thinking big instead of going into international competitions with limited goals. Siasia will not be afraid to face Argentina or France and neither will Manu. It seemed Keshi was resigned to the outcome of those 2 games.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Mods, as the no.1 SE fans website I suggest we prepare our congratulatory message to the great Sia1 of Africa as the new SE coach. We only need four signatories and I nominate uncles Catalyst, CIC old man, Cellular and Robbynice. E don finish!
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *