Who is your favorite Cameroon player of all time and why?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who is your favorite Cameroon player of all time and why

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

So, every five years or so, you rehash this topic. OK, I'll indulge you once again!

The top three Cameroonian players of all time are:

1. Roga Milla

2. Roga Milla

3. Roga Milla

End of story :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Dammy wrote:Cameroon has produced so many good players over the years that it is difficult to choose who the best is, however the Indomitable Lions Between 2000 - 2003, were the best ever African National team. The team containing Alioum, Geremi, Wome, Foe, Song (cap), Kalla, Lauren, Olembe, Eto'o, Mboma and Job were very compact and the first XI rarely changed, a stability rare in international football. Honorable mentions to players like N'Diefi, Mettomo, Njanka, Atouba, Epalle, Djemba Djemba etc who were able substitutes. In that period the Lions won 2 Nations Cups and most of the squad won the 2000 Olympics gold. The team also got to the final of the 2003 Confederations Cup, the only African team to achieve that feat. They could have made history and possibly go all the way in the 2002 WC but for a lack of proper organisation which led Lauren to quit the team. This may sound preposterous, but I watched this Camerron team toy with England in a Pre 2002 WC friendly which ended with a late Michael Owen equaliser to end the match 2-2. The equalizer only came about because Cameroon had taken off most of the regulars by then. I have never seen England turned around like that by an African team. If they had stayed focused they would have stunned the world in 2002. Prior to the WC, they played the strongest team in the World, double World and European champions, France in Paris and they held the French to a 1-1 draw with the equaliser coming from a glorious Mboma overhead kick. France complete with superstars like Desailly, Thuram, Blanc, Viera, Zidane, Henry, Trezeguet etc were played to a standstill in their backyard, no African team could have got a result in Paris that day. They put the dissapointment of the WC behind them and played to the final of the 2003 Confed Cup losing narrowly to a late Henry goal but the spirit had ebbed out of the team by then due to the loss of their midfielder Marc Vivien Foe, who died in the Semi-final.
Africa has produced great teams like Algeria (2002-2006), Cameroon ( 1982-1988), Nigeria (1994 -2000), Egypt ( 2006 -2010) but non matches the Cameroon team of 2000 - 2003 IMO.
You know history sha,that team from2000 to 2003 was on fire sha.Foe passing kill the spirit in that Confederation cup final.
Also SE 94-96 was on another level
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:So, every five years or so, you rehash this topic. OK, I'll indulge you once again!

The top three Cameroonian players of all time are:

1. Roga Milla

2. Roga Milla

3. Roga Milla

End of story :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.
Who asked for top three?
Oh i see what you did there :mad:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Rogermilla
Egg
Egg

Post by Rogermilla »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Forgot Geremi and Lauren. Two tough Lions.
Ah sure say Babaginda di still see stars after the way these two turned him around lol
"History shows that this club has had very few strikers like him. I do not know if there has ever been anyone like him before. What I do know is that Barcelona should erect a statue for him. Samuel was a fundamental player here in recent years and was key to all of the titles that the team won."

Andres Iniesta, August 2009
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Theophile Abega
Roger Milla
Marc-Vivien Foe
Thomas Nkono
Manga Ougene
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Rogermilla wrote:
Ah sure say Babaginda di still see stars after the way these two turned him around lol
How you throway your man so? Ei be like say small thing don enter ntang.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Rogermilla wrote:
Babayaro, not Babangida. Babangida terrorized the Lions in extra time of that classic 2000 game.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

the guy is mad to call cameroun 2000-2003 Africa best team. a team that couldn't qualify in a group that consisted of Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Germany he now used them drawing france and losing 2-1 to france but forgot that Senegal beat the same france 1-0 in 2002. cameroun had a good powerful agidi team that would always do well on African soil and they also had great players like etoo,song,mboma but to call that team Africa best ever team guy gerrarra rouhere
hangingfire
Egg
Egg

Post by hangingfire »

Cameroon get players? Ok let's try find one. Rigobert ''Ganja Smoke" Song. He comes to mind Bamenda Boy. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
hangingfire
Egg
Egg

Post by hangingfire »

On a more serious note. None is better than Thomas "Second To None" Nkono. Had Nkono not existed, I would have gladly settled for Joseph Antoine Bell. They were both pure class and made Cameroon unbeatable in the eighties. Cameroonian football simply took a nose dive when these two fantastic goalkeepers' careers were over.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

[quote="john12"]the guy is mad to call cameroun 2000-2003 Africa best team. a team that couldn't qualify in a group that consisted of Ireland, Saudi Arabia and Germany he now used them drawing france and losing 2-1 to france but forgot that Senegal beat the same france 1-0 in 2002. cameroun had a good powerful agidi team that would always do well on African soil and they also had great players like etoo,song,mboma but to call that team Africa best ever team guy gerrarra rouhere[/quot
You are insane! I have used results ganered over a period of 3 years to show why I believe that the Lions were the best ever African National team and you are using a one off match between Senegal and France to justify your idiotic rant! F you know anything about football, you will know that it is comon knowledge that administrative issues were behind their woeful outing in WC2002. Is it agidi football that made them beat world champions, Brazil, 1-0 in the Confed Cup in France in 2003 or Colombia in the same competition? You see how stupid you sound?
I am happy
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I'm not sure he has been born yet. If you twist my arm maybe Lauren cos he was a gunner.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Dr Theophile Abega(RIP) and one Cyril Makanaky.
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Cyril Makanaky. He couldn't shoot for $#% (along with Louis Mfede) but he moved like he could float on air.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Tbite wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:Alex Song for that dagger wey he take pursue oyinbo man at the world cup in Brazil.
Now that was funny. The Zidane headbutt for example was just one man hitting another man...and it was done so casually.

but Alex Song hunting down his Croatian? prey like a man possessed....and then to follow through with a muay thai elbow. I mean people have headbutted, tackled, tripped, punched, spat on one another....again and again...but Alex Song wanted something novel and memorable.

Zidane had to take a few seconds to compose himself and figure out what he would do....but Alex Song was an artist, spontaneously creating such an animated and hilarious scene.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Both their teams lost though.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

In a country that produced some mean, serious stars, this is a difficult question. While recognition must be given to Samuel Etoo' Fils, Patrick Mboma, Thomas Nkono, Rigobert Song, Marc Vivien Foe, Lauren Etame Mayer, the brutal giant Raymond Kalla, Pierre Njanka (that goal against Austria still dey sweet belle) much more respects go to the immaculate and leggy Francois Oman Biyik, Benjamin Massing, Emmanuel Kunde, Roger Milla, Jean Claude Pagal, Cyril Makanaky, Louis Mfede, "The doctor" Theophile Abega, Arantos M'bida, Eugene Ebongue but there is only one

JEAN MANGA ONGUENE

As hot as Segun Odegbami was in 1980 when we won CAN, Onguene won APOY. What a player!
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Just like asking who my favourite Ghanaian player is...same answer. He hasn't been born yet.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Goldleaf wrote:In a country that produced some mean, serious stars, this is a difficult question. While recognition must be given to Samuel Etoo' Fils, Patrick Mboma, Thomas Nkono, Rigobert Song, Marc Vivien Foe, Lauren Etame Mayer, the brutal giant Raymond Kalla, Pierre Njanka (that goal against Austria still dey sweet belle) much more respects go to the immaculate and leggy Francois Oman Biyik, Benjamin Massing, Emmanuel Kunde, Roger Milla, Jean Claude Pagal, Cyril Makanaky, Louis Mfede, "The doctor" Theophile Abega, Arantos M'bida, Eugene Ebongue but there is only one

JEAN MANGA ONGUENE

As hot as Segun Odegbami was in 1980 when we won CAN, Onguene won APOY. What a player!
Wow so Jean Manga Onguene was a real baller?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Mboma's left leg...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

ohsee wrote:
Kabalega wrote:This is a tough one!

Thomas Nkono is an unsung hero but so is Antoine Bell. There records speak for them. Nkono should set up an academy of goalies. Ghanaians would pay a premium to get one of their own in there.

Cyril Makanaky is right up there with the best of them too.... but so are Samuel Eto'o and Roger Milla.
It's tough to pick just one!
Makanaky was no good. He just looked good running with his dreads flying.
In Malaga, Spain, a Makanaky is a weed joint while in Ecuador, it is a potent juju spell for a reason. As for me, I have a story that I hope to tell, the next generations about the Cameroonian, that looked good running around with flying dreads in one of the best games I have ever seen live .... His team then went on to rule African footie.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tbite wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:Alex Song for that dagger wey he take pursue oyinbo man at the world cup in Brazil.
Now that was funny. The Zidane headbutt for example was just one man hitting another man...and it was done so casually.

but Alex Song hunting down his Croatian? prey like a man possessed....and then to follow through with a muay thai elbow. I mean people have headbutted, tackled, tripped, punched, spat on one another....again and again...but Alex Song wanted something novel and memorable.

Zidane had to take a few seconds to compose himself and figure out what he would do....but Alex Song was an artist, spontaneously creating such an animated and hilarious scene.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
jdizzy
Egg
Egg

Post by jdizzy »

Oman Biyik...the name
Niente Ÿ impossibile!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

jdizzy wrote:Oman Biyik...the name
Surprised no one had talked about him.