Group B: Algeria, Nigeria, Zambia, Cameroon

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: Group B: Algeria, Nigeria, Zambia, Cameroon

Post by YUJAM »

Nigeria almost always does well when they are underdogs I think they'll top the group

Algeria may look like the favorites but they have a very vulnerable defense. The key game IMO will be the away games vs Zambia. Teams that lose that game most likely won't make it through
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

I have read some posts on an Algerian football site. They are just as worried as us. A lot of them fear our attack against their slow defense and they realize teams like Nigeria struggle in some matches but come alive when it matters the most.
sholaJay
Egg
Egg

Post by sholaJay »

In theory this is a great group for Nigeria. We have an opportunity to put things right from fair player selections to the choice of stadiums and choice of coach. We all know we need to fix our FA. Now is the time.

We would have continued to be laid back in our approach if we were drawn against the likes of Tunisa Congo and Libya.

We have an opportunity to change the way football is run in Nigeria. If we wake up we will qualify and be prepared for any team at Russia 2018.

Key question is picnic and co. Ready ?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

You know what I'm excited for these games. Best International experience for the young guys like Nacho and Iwobi to know what African football really is.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Inshall Allah we will win this group. We need a very good coach, win all our three games at home and pick up at worse a two draws away. 10 or 11 points will win this group.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

The Eagle wrote:
kalani JR wrote:Just noticed, every team in this group is a former African champion.
The group has 4 ex-champions .... and the 2 teams that made the Second Round in 2014.

Also interesting is Nigeria, Algeria and Cameroun were part of Africa's 5 in 2014 and 2010, which means at least two countries will either debut at the World Cup, or return to it after an absence. If Zambia takes the group, then three.

PS: Is my memory playing tricks on me, or was there a time that CAF named the teams that qualified for the last tournament as the group seeds?
Kinda. If a country qualified for a WC they'd obviously be at an advantage. I'm sure they also factored ANC performance.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

So, we are not going to FIFA Word Cup 2018... Very sad.
We don't even have a coach or a REAL team, just a collection of players.
The team is a reflection of the Nigerian society as a whole: chaotic, no sense of strategic vision or any vision at all, selfish individuals, terrible leadership, lack of organization, etc.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Undertaker wrote:Inshall Allah we will win this group. We need a very good coach, win all our three games at home and pick up at worse a two draws away. 10 or 11 points will win this group.
Coaches are not miracle workers. To do well, you need a team that has been working together for a long time plus good planning/administration.

It takes time to get a collection of individuals to play as a team. First, we need to appoint a coach, the coach needs to transmit his tactical/strategic ideas to his chosen players, the players need time to assimilate the coach's ideas, and the players need to put those ideas into practice and perfect them over a certain period of time. It takes years of stability and constant work to build a good team (preferably the four years between world cups).

The fact that we don't even have a coach yet says everything.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Vincent. wrote:So, we are not going to FIFA Word Cup 2018... Very sad.
The team is a reflection of the Nigerian society as a whole: chaotic, no sense of strategic vision or any vision at all, selfish individuals, terrible leadership, lack of organization, etc.
And I'm now past caring. The draw hasn't made me any less disinterested, I've felt this way about the senior team for a long old while.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Nigeria will not qualify from that group. You can definitely take that to the bank! You have to be really blind to not see that.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Vincent. wrote:
Undertaker wrote:Inshall Allah we will win this group. We need a very good coach, win all our three games at home and pick up at worse a two draws away. 10 or 11 points will win this group.
Coaches are not miracle workers. To do well, you need a team that has been working together for a long time plus good planning/administration.

It takes time to get a collection of individuals to play as a team. First, we need to appoint a coach, the coach needs to transmit his tactical/strategic ideas to his chosen players, the players need time to assimilate the coach's ideas, and the players need to put those ideas into practice and perfect them over a certain period of time. It takes years of stability and constant work to build a good team (preferably the four years between world cups).

Same thing applies to the other teams in the group. Quit panicking before the first whistle is blown.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

This isn't the group of death, this is the GROUP OF CHAMPIONS!

Tough group and I would have preferred to avoid Algeria, but I love that we are in a difficult group because it forces us to step up or sit down. So there is no need to be quaking in our boots. If we get our act together (which admittedly is a big "if") there is no reason why we can't qualify from this group. And if we can't get it together then we will deservedly be sitting on the sidelines when the Mundial begins. Indeed I think that this is exactly what our young team needs in terms of their development - a baptism of fire which will mean that we are ready for the World Cup if we qualify, and which many of our players will grow as internationals regardless of the outcome of the group.

Furthermore, this is a group where no team is likely to run away with it - meaning that if you don't get off to the greatest of starts, you are still likely to have your destiny in your hands as every team is capable of beating each other. I also find it interesting that just as in 1994 our qualifying journey ends in Algeria.

Should be a fun group.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Synopsis wrote:I have read some posts on an Algerian football site. They are just as worried as us. A lot of them fear our attack against their slow defense and they realize teams like Nigeria struggle in some matches but come alive when it matters the most.

Of course they are worried. Nobody is saying they shouldn't be worried. No team in their right mind would want to be in a group with Nigeria. Having said that , no team in their right mind would want to be paired with Algeria.

Even if both teams are at optimum output the chances would be around 50/50.

The problem is that Nigeria right now is well below optimum output and Algeria is much closer to their max potential.

First off , do we hire the proper coach ?

Second off , does this coach have enough time to turn the disaster around ?

We shall see, but for me this is a dice roll. Zambia will only play spoilers, Cameroon will also be a tough nut to crack.

We have the players, but do we have the coach and the team ?
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Vincent. wrote:So, we are not going to FIFA Word Cup 2018... Very sad.
And I'm now past caring. The draw hasn't made me any less disinterested, I've felt this way about the senior team for a long old while.
I know there is no point getting a heart attack over something one cannot control. Still, it is extremely frustrating to see us continue to slide backward because we refuse to take simple and obvious steps in the right direction.

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

1naija wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

Same thing applies to the other teams in the group. Quit panicking before the first whistle is blown.
I am not panicking :)
I am just frustrated that we are always in this situation, which could easily have been avoided.

mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:
Synopsis wrote:I have read some posts on an Algerian football site. They are just as worried as us. A lot of them fear our attack against their slow defense and they realize teams like Nigeria struggle in some matches but come alive when it matters the most.

Of course they are worried. Nobody is saying they shouldn't be worried. No team in their right mind would want to be in a group with Nigeria. Having said that , no team in their right mind would want to be paired with Algeria.

The problem is that Nigeria right now is well below optimum output and Algeria is much closer to their max potential.

We shall see, but for me this is a dice roll. Zambia will only play spoilers, Cameroon will also be a tough nut to crack.

Thirdly, does the NFF help or hinder the team?

Nigeria's problems go beyond coaching. Yes. We need a proper coach (very important!!) but we also need an FA that will do their part.
brigadoon
Egg
Egg

Post by brigadoon »

Move the qualifiers back to the national stadium. Otherwise we are %%%%.
smallpikin
Egg
Egg

Post by smallpikin »

Russia will be a great world cup! Without Cameroon, I can focus on enjoying the games.
"If you aren't keeping the score
you're only practising". Hugh Collum, Finance Director, SmithKline Beecham.
gagyes
Egg
Egg

Post by gagyes »

Nigeria will win this group easily.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

gagyes wrote:Nigeria will win this group easily.
The draws demonstrate why we argue that Africa should be allocated more World Cup places. The African qualifiers may well be the toughest any where in the world because there are more capable teams that are left out compared to places like Europe where the best teams often qualify easily because of the large number of World Cup places.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Why are we all of a sudden so scared of Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia? Is it because of how badly they beat us the last time we played them? From what I recall we were victorious against all 3 teams the last time we played them in a competitive match. As far as I am concerned they are the underdogs and the ones that should be scared.

And before anyone brings up any NFF crap, it was worse when we beat these teams.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

kajifu wrote:Well Russia is not a place most of us plan to go watch the world cup.So no big deal who ever win good luck.CAF is the most stupid organization.

Speak for yourself. Nigeria is going to Russia whether you crooks from Cameroon like it or not.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Thirdly, does the NFF help or hinder the team?

Nigeria's problems go beyond coaching. Yes. We need a proper coach (very important!!) but we also need an FA that will do their part.
We also need REASONABLE fans. Part of the confusion in NFF was caused by ignorant football fans and there are MANY of them in Nigeria.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”