AFCON 2017: Focus On Black Stars (End of the road)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: AFCON 2017: Focus On Ghana Black Stars

Post by Maradona »

Chimex101 wrote:
Maradona wrote:GHANA Ohhhhhh GHANAAAAA!

:D :D :D :D :D
:shock: :shock: :shock: Oga Maradona na you be this?
Yes o..
The same.. :D
HAPPY NEW YEAR.. :)
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Maradona wrote:
Chimex101 wrote:

Yes o..
HAPPY NEW YEAR..
Madonna is that you? :blink:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

I'm fit for AFCON opener - Gyan :P

Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan says he is putting finishing touches on his fitness ahead of the Black Stars' Africa Cup of Nations Group D opener against Uganda in Port-Gentil on Tuesday.

The 31-year-old, who will be making his seventh consecutive appearance at the tournament since 2006, admits struggles with injuries ahead of his previous Afcon campaigns but feels good this time around.

“I just recovered from injury. The quality is there already with the ball work but I need to work on my conditioning for my resistance so that I can fit into a game for 90 minutes. That is the only thing I need that is why I am spending a lot of time with the physical trainer,” Gyan told TV3.

“I have had so many experiences with the Nations Cup. I have never gone to one in top physical shape. The only time I was not injured, I got sick two years ago. This time I feel good and I can’t wait for the first game to start,” he added.

Gyan also believes that Ghana, who are yet to lift the trophy since 1982, can replicate Cote d'Ivoire's record.

The Elephants lost 2008 and 2012 Afcon finals to Egypt and Zambia respectively, before winning the trophy on the third time of asking in 2015.

“I always use Ivory Coast as an example. They lost two finals and then won the third one against Ghana on penalties. We can do that too. We have quality players and our attitude is what will determine. It is very easy to say you can win the trophy but you must show it on the pitch. To win a trophy everyone must get involved. We need to be strong, have depth and hope that we stay injury free.”

The former Sunderland striker has scored seven Afcon goals and is a goal shy of equalling Osei Kofi and Wilberforce Mfum's record of eighth apiece, but he insists he is not eyeing personal glory ahead of the team's success.

“I try to do my best for the team to win, not break records. I leave the rest for people to judge. I just try to get the job done. I will try and go there and do my best for Ghana and make sure we bring it home

http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/S ... yan-501449
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

"BlackStars, please, in God's name win this cup for us Gherneans" :clap:

"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Ayew makes history as Ghana open campaign with Uganda win
Ghana welcomed Uganda back into the Africa Cup of Nations with a defeat in Port Gentil on Tuesday.

A first half penalty from vice captain Andre Ayew gave the Black Stars a narrow victory in the opening game of Group D at this year's AFCON in Gabon.

Ghana was by far the better side in a first half that was dull for most parts. Asamoah Gyan headed a cross from Christian Atsu wide; striker Jordan Ayew completely misfired from what looked like a cross from the right side of the box gone bad, and Andre Ayew toe poked the ball into the arms of Uganda goalie Denis Onyango.

After these attempts, however, came a deserved breakthrough for Avram Grant's men when Uganda defender Isaac Isinde found the poor pitch at the Stade de Port Gentil sabotaging his attempt at trapping a pass played back to him.

The Ethiopia-based defender missed the ball and had to pull down Ghana captain Asamoah Gyan, who had crept in behind him to capitalize, the referee blowing for a penalty.

Andre Ayew stepped up to take the kick, with an opportunity to have a shot face to face with Onyango for the second time in the half. The West Ham record signing made no mistake from the spot, sending the 2016 CAF Africa-based Player of the Year the wrong way to fire the Black Stars into the lead. It was the 27-year-old's seventh AFCON goal, a feat that equalled the all-time record for Ghana held by Asamoah Gyan and Osei Kofi.

The second half produced occasional end to end moments, but failed to produce substantial clear cut chances. The terrible condition of the pitch also contributed to depriving the game of the excitement that the talent on display promised. The only highlight was Onyango once again rescuing the Cranes with his well-known quality, saving a dangerous Christian Atsu shot on 80 minutes.

The Black Stars held on to record their first AFCON opening day win since 2012, when they beat Botswana 1-0 in a game played in Franceville, Gabon. The win also signaled a return to winning ways for the Ghanaians, who were without a win in their last five games.

For Milutin 'Micho' Sredojevic's Cranes, it was a sad way to mark their return to the AFCON after 39 years out.

Their last AFCON match, coincidentally, has occurred against none other than Ghana in 1978.
!

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

AFCON 2017: Full match report - Ghana 1-0 Mali

Ghana progressed to the quarter-final of the 2017 Africa Cup Nations with one match to spare after a 1-0 win over Mali on Saturday in their second Group D match.

Captain Asamoah Gyan's 20th minute header- a record breaking eighth goal-divided the two sides at the Stade Port Gentil to amass six points.

It was a cagey opening with possession evenly balanced but it looked like the Black Stars were slightly on top.

Star man Christian Atsu nutmegged Traore and broke inside the box. He laid a pass for Andre Ayew who controlled and spun but his aim at goal from close range shockingly went wide.

Shortly Mali threatened with a header from a Molla Wague on a corner kick from inside the box which went wide.

But Ghana proved too strong in attack and Jordan pick up a ball and drifted to the left before whipped in a cross which was powerfully and perfectly headed by the skipper Gyan.

On the half hour mark, Jordan Ayew drove in a shot from just outside the box after cutting in from the left but his attempt was palmed away by goalkeeper Ousman Sissoko.

Atsu's left footed shot was blocked by Salif Coulibaly after collecting a through pass from Mubarak Wakaso.

Mali barely caused troubles for Ghana and failed to create opportunities to leave them trailing.

Four minutes into the second half, Mali created their first scoring opportunity when Bakary Sako sent in a cross to the far right which was headed powerfull by Moussa Marega but Razak Brimah, the Ghana goalkeeper, dealt with it easily.

Marega was presented with another opportunity but he skied his effort from close range.

The decision by Mali coach Alain Giresse to introduce Yves Bissouma at the break seems to have lubricated the midfield as his speed and passes were impactful.

Mali found their groove and coupled with some dodgy defending from Ghana, they started asking questions which even saw centre back Coulibaly of TP Mazembe also make an attempt.

Left back Hamari Troare scared Ghanaian fans when his long range volley side-netted. At this point, it was obvious the Black Stars had run out of steam and backpeddling.

Giresse exhaused his cards by throwing on Moussa Doumbia and Kalifa Coulibaly but an out-of-gas Ghana side did well to neutralize them.

At the closing stages, Bissouma profited from Atsu's poor clearance and slotted past Wakaso into the box and cut back with a cross but it found nobody.

With the pressure on his team, Avram Grant introduced Afriyie Acquah to stabilize things.

Kalifa Coulibaly nearly scored when he connected a cross from inside the box but Brimah was at his agile best to palm it back into play which was headed back for the goalkeeper to grab.

Mali were awarded a late free kick from close to the box but Sako's effort came off the wall and the Black Stars knocked it away to safety.

Ghana's next match will be against Egypt on Wednesday in the final Group D match.
!

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Black Stars bonuses slashed by 50%

The Black Stars have agreed a 50% slash in their winning bonuses after a meeting with Sports Minister designate, Hon. Isaac Asiamah in their camp in Gabon.

The reduction was announced by the Sports Minister designate in a specially arranged press conference to address the bonus situation.

For the Sports Minister designate, both parties were in agreement of the deal as they both seek to put Ghana first.

“We are going to have a stake holders meeting to discuss payments for all national teams but in the interim we have held a meeting with the players of the national team and they have agreed to a 50% slash in their bonuses".

“They have understood the situation we are in and also understand that the fans and the general public have spoken. The players understand this."

The Black Stars will now earn $5000 per win at the tournament for the group stages as well as the quarterfinal stage, $6000 for the semifinal and $7500 for the final.

The players were also assured of a special package if they are the clinch the AFCON title.
!

aykwes8
Egg
Egg

Post by aykwes8 »

Dr. No we miss you in ghanaweb paa oo
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

They're primed to peak at the right time.
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

Avram Grant happy with Ghana's second half performance against Egypt
Ghana coach Avram Grant is happy his side lifted their game against the Pharaohs of Egypt in the second half despite losing by a lone goal.

Mohammed Salah's magnificent free kick in the eleventh minute left it late for Ghana as the Black Stars crawled out of Stade de Port Gentil with their first defeat in the tournament.

But the Black Stars gaffer insists he is impressed with the performance of his boys despite the defeat.

"This is a game I think the team showed a lot of good spirit despite the fact that I rested a lot of the key players.

"I was happy because one of the things we are working on is mental strength and despite not scoring we came to the Egypt half and attacked several times," Grant said in his post-match reactions.

Ghana will come up against the Leopards of Congo DR in the quarter-finals of the competition on Sunday and Grant believes his side will be up to the task.

"Congo is a good side and I know it will be a tough game but we will be up for it," he added.

Ghana will, however, have to wait anxiously for the readiness of captain Asamoah Gyan who was forced out of the game due to injury.
!

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

!

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

[quote][quote]Match Report: Cameroon 2-0 Ghana; Indomitable Lions set up final clash with Egypt
The Indomitable Lions beat Ghana 2 -0
A youthful Cameroon side edged Ghana 2-0 on Thursday in Franceville to reach their first Africa Cup of Nations final in nine years.

Centre-back Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui and Christian Bassogong home from a tight angle to send an inexperienced Indomitable Lions side through.

The Black Stars won the match's first corner kick with Afriyie Acquah's effort and it was effected but Jordan Ayew missed the connection from inside the box on the sixth minuite mark.

Two minutes later, there was a huge scare for Ghana after Harrison Afful cleared on the goal line to cut out Adolphe Teikeu's powerful header on a corner-kick.

Goalkeeper Razak Brimah pulled a great save to deny Robert Ndip Tambe who connected from close range.

After that, Wakaso made a timely sliding tackle inside the box to deny Christian Bassogog who was ready to pull the trigger.

This was when Ghana poped up with an attacking move and Partey played Jordan but new Swansea City signing skied his ball from inside the box.

In the 40th minute Jordan Ayew was put through with a well threaded ball by Atsu but he flashed his effort across the face of goal.

After recess, it was an improved performance from the Black Stars and Partey fired a warning shot.

Atsu made a surging run on the right and cut in to feed the Atletico Madrid man who shot. There's were shouts of a handball but referee Gamassa waived play on.

Then shortly afterwards, Frank Acheampong made a ran and whipped in a cross but Partey was late in arriving.

Acquah burst forward and then split the ball to the right to Jordan who squared a pass but Ondoa was quick to pick it up.

After the hour mark, Wakaso curls a free kick and Ondoa came up with a big save and Partey also tried to shot from outside the box after turning two defenders inside-out.

Captain Benjamin Moukandjo tried with outside of his boot with a low grounder but Brimah was there to collect.

Wakaso committed a fouled Bassogong close to the box and Indomitable Lions curled it into the box. Boye came out to head and his touch beat the advanced Brimah.

The ball dropped to Michael Ngadeu-Ngadjui at the far post and the centre-back turned it into the roof.

Jordan, left unmarked inside the box, could not direct a cut back pass into the net and it was a surprise miss.

Ghana coach Grant threw on Asamoah Gyan to rescue the sinking boat but the veteran had little contribution.

They continued to push for the equalizer and got caught out on the break and Cameroon added the second with a sublime Bassogong finish.
!

tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: AFCON 2017: Focus On Black Stars (End of the road)

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done to the boys.

Did not give them much of a chance going into the tourney.

I thought the DRC game was our last

Players still available for the future: Partey, Atsu, Frank Acheampong, Dede, Acquah, Wakaso, Amartey

We need competition for Jordan Ayew who had a poor tournament.

Need to scout Inaki Williams and Fosu-Mensah

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

tfco wrote::clap: :clap: :clap:

Well done to the boys.

Did not give them much of a chance going into the tourney.

I thought the DRC game was our last

Players still available for the future: Partey, Atsu, Frank Acheampong, Dede, Acquah, Wakaso, Amartey

We need competition for Jordan Ayew who had a poor tournament.

Need to scout Inaki Williams and Fosu-Mensah
Lilly Livered Breda from Baats... you finally decide to come out of hiding? Anyway sha sorry for your defeat. You have another 2 years to try again.

See how all your mouth about "afcon sweet o" don make people vex against BS?

Next time abeg go slow :idea:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Not good enough!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[/video]
!

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

at 1:30' - that is a Naija guy

1'50" - W :shyluv: :shyluv:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Maradona wrote:
Chimex101 wrote:

Yes o..
HAPPY NEW YEAR.. :)
:blink: :blink: :blink:
..Trump allow ya computer to post insai America? :blink: :blink: :blink:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

tfco wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

at 1:30' - that is a Naija guy

1'50" - W :shyluv: :shyluv:
U "w" this too..Aponchi! :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:?

where do you live i am coming to get you!!!

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S