Henry Onyekuru: The Ace Up Rohrs Sleeve

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

bully12
Egg
Egg
Re: Henry Onyekuru: The Ace Up Rohrs Sleeve

Post by bully12 »

Dammy wrote:HE'S THE ONYE Everton transfer news: Fiorentina join the list of admirers chasing Everton youngster Henry Onyekuru

The 20-year-old only joined the Toffees last summer, but the number of clubs chasing his services is growing by the week as the Serie A side plot a swoop

By Gary Stonehouse
24th November 2017, 5:38 pm
Updated: 24th November 2017, 6:42 pm

FIORENTINA have joined the race for Everton starlet Henry Onyekuru.

The 20-year-old only joined the Toffees from Eupen last summer in a £7million move.

Fiorentina have joined the race for Everton's Henry Onyekuru

However, he was immediately sent out on loan to Anderlecht and has fired seven goals in 14 appearances for the club so far.

As SunSport reported earlier this week, both Manchester United and Barcelona have begun scouting the Nigerian.

However, Calciomercato claim that the Serie A side are now also interested in the star.

Fiorentina have joined fellow Italian side Juventus in the hunt for the youngster.

The Nigerian striker may have to make a big decision on his future in the upcoming months

The youngster is currently impressing on loan at Anderlecht

There had been talk of the Toffees recalling him as they looked to turn around their fortunes in front of goal.

The forward sparked rumours that he could be set for a comeback after posting a picture on his Instagram account tagging himself in Liverpool city centre last month.
FELL ON NIASSE Everton striker banned for diving because he ‘exaggerated’ fall

When asked about the picture, he told Belgian newspaper La Libre: "Yes, that's right and I'm waiting for something. That's all I can say.

"I hope to be able to play there in January.

For some reason, my laptop is not copying the URL, but it is from the Sun newspaper.
If is true all these elite European teams are seeking his services how come people in this forum have failed to see how immense his talent is. This fellows who castigate him are they doing it out of asinine ignorance or are they so daft they can't recognize his prodigious potentials. I'm sure there is something insidious about their fatuous and puerile criticisms
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:
Dammy wrote:HE'S THE ONYE Everton transfer news: Fiorentina join the list of admirers chasing Everton youngster Henry Onyekuru

The 20-year-old only joined the Toffees last summer, but the number of clubs chasing his services is growing by the week as the Serie A side plot a swoop

By Gary Stonehouse

The 20-year-old only joined the Toffees from Eupen last summer in a £7million move.

However, he was immediately sent out on loan to Anderlecht and has fired seven goals in 14 appearances for the club so far.

As SunSport reported earlier this week, both Manchester United and Barcelona have begun scouting the Nigerian.

However, Calciomercato claim that the Serie A side are now also interested in the star.

Fiorentina have joined fellow Italian side Juventus in the hunt for the youngster.

The Nigerian striker may have to make a big decision on his future in the upcoming months

There had been talk of the Toffees recalling him as they looked to turn around their fortunes in front of goal.

The forward sparked rumours that he could be set for a comeback after posting a picture on his Instagram account tagging himself in Liverpool city centre last month.

When asked about the picture, he told Belgian newspaper La Libre: "Yes, that's right and I'm waiting for something. That's all I can say.

For some reason, my laptop is not copying the URL, but it is from the Sun newspaper.
If is true all these elite European teams are seeking his services how come people in this forum have failed to see how immense his talent is. This fellows who castigate him are they doing it out of asinine ignorance or are they so daft they can't recognize his prodigious potentials. I'm sure there is something insidious about their fatuous and puerile criticisms
Bro, we hear these stories all the time and nothing ever materializes, last summer there were stories of Esiti to PSG, what happened? All fake nonsense. We can only deal with the current facts, he's in Belgium and needs to get out to prove himself at a higher level.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

” Onyekuru cannot play as a striker with the system we are playing with one attacker, I’ve tried that a couple of times but he does not feel like it, or not yet ready to lead”, he said.
The above quote from Onyeruku's manager probably reflects Rohr's thinking with his 3-5-1 preferred style of play.. with Bazee to come and Iwobi able to play from the flanks, Rohr still has options to explore and is still keeping on open mind on him.

source:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/11/25/ev ... cht-coach/
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:
” Onyekuru cannot play as a striker with the system we are playing with one attacker, I’ve tried that a couple of times but he does not feel like it, or not yet ready to lead”, he said.
The above quote from Onyeruku's manager probably reflects Rohr's thinking with his 3-5-1 preferred style of play.. with Bazee to come and Iwobi able to play from the flanks, Rohr still has options to explore and is still keeping on open mind on him.

Rohr will take four wide forwards and two targetmen to Russia. Iwobi can go as a playmaker!
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

Rohr will take four wide forwards and two targetmen to Russia. Iwobi can go as a playmaker!
In Rohr's eyes Iwobi is a wide forward when he opt to go 4-3-3. Note sure he is settled on a back up for Mikel in the playmaker role. Etebo has a foot in for now, but I think Rohr is still looking at options.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:

By Gary Stonehouse

Bro, we hear these stories all the time and nothing ever materializes, last summer there were stories of Esiti to PSG, what happened? All fake nonsense. We can only deal with the current facts, he's in Belgium and needs to get out to prove himself at a higher level.
You love to pervade half truths. Are you saying so many teams were after Esiti last year. I must have been in another world that so many teams were interested on Esiti, I did not know about them. Please unplug the wool that covers your eyes that you can not see Onyekury has all it takes to be a world class player and he is head and shoulder above most of the players you are advocating for Rohr to take to Russia.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

In Rohr's eyes Iwobi is a wide forward when he opt to go 4-3-3. Note sure he is settled on a back up for Mikel in the playmaker role. Etebo has a foot in for now, but I think Rohr is still looking at options.
Away in Ndola. Iwobi played as a our playmaker just ion front of Mikel and Onazi. In that game,. Ideye was our targetman with Simon and Iheanacho as our two wide men.

If you look at the video there was a lot of balance in the team that day. Contrast it with our win over Algeria in Uyo a few months later where we were all over the place.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

Away in Ndola. Iwobi played as a our playmaker just ion front of Mikel and Onazi. In that game,. Ideye was our targetman with Simon and Iheanacho as our two wide men.

If you look at the video there was a lot of balance in the team that day. Contrast it with our win over Algeria in Uyo a few months later where we were all over the place.
Lies. Nacho was our playmaker.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

No point discussing with you any further. Iheanacho has never played as a playmaker for the Super Eagles
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Mr Shows wrote:

No point discussing with you any further. Iheanacho has never played as a playmaker for the Super Eagles
You are blind! You see what you want to see. Nacho was our playmaker vs Egypt (H), Tanzania, and Zambia (A).

WATCH THE VIDEO:
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Dammy wrote:After he was dropped for the Belgian Classico against FC Brugge, the Belgian media questioned the Anderlecht coach and his response was that Onyekuru was more focused on making Nigeria's World Cup squad than playing for the club.
If the club's coach said the highlighted in above, then not playing (selecting Onyekuru) by the coach seems more of a revenge/punishment than otherwise.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Dear Arm chair coaches,

Keep dreaming.

Rohr employs two (and a half) fundamental formations:

4;2;3;1; (Big target man)
3;5;2: (Two mobile forwards)

In either formation, Onyekuru for all his talent does not fit unless:

Simon, Bazee and Musa fail to make the squad.

No player that can only play one position, effectively will make the WC squad unless, they have already been playing regularly.

Iwobi, Mikel, Etebo, Nacho, Moses, can play multiple positions, effectively.

Bazee, Onyekuru, Musa cannot.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Dude, you've repeatedly demonstrated you lack the intellectual capacity to understand football, as you have yet to put forth one cohesive argument to support your emotionally driven assertions . Need I remind you of some sub-par players you have tried to foist on us over the years, for as long as you've been on this forum (i.e. Friday Onyekwu, to shake a few cobwebs for you).

You have the temerity to call a player, who has done what the coach has asked of him and has earned the coach's trust, primarily through hard work and graft ‘unintelligent’? That is crass and uncouth, to say the least. This is a player who actually WON the Belgian league while this fellow you're positing (Onyekuru) hasn't even come anywhere close to doing that. Yes, he ended up being top scorer on a one-man team last season, but has failed to replicate that at Anderlecht, to the extent that he is being played as a winger and not striker (which he was at Eupen) because the Anderlecht coach has expressed doubts regarding his work ethic as a striker (something I observed while watching the Mouscron vs. Anderlecht match yesterday evening). This tells me he is struggling to be a true team player

You call your arguments thoughtful? How would you classify someone putting up a list of a so-called ‘stay at home Eagles’, which comprises a good number of players who are part of the core of the current Eagles? Common sense should suggest to you that the bulk of the players you denigrated would actually constitute part of the squad of 23. The persons you would take in their stead have yet to show any credible demonstration that they can hack it at their club level, let alone on the national team. Case in point: Nwakali at Venlo, who is a bench warmer, at best!. Yet you would gladly take him to the greatest football tournament ever, at the expense of someone who has been tried and battle tested? That, to me, not only shows a gross lack of critical thinking and deductive reasoning on your part, but a lack of maturity in your thought process when it comes to football.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:That's rather crass and uncouth of you to say that. Those boys have always put in their best and made Nigeria proud when called to service.
And all because you have failed woefully as a paid agent in trying to superimpose your boys into the SE.
Shame on you!
I must be the most successful agent in the world, if I have got all these boys on my book. Kai. It looks like I have more players combined that Nigeria's most two successful agents Churchill Oliseh and John Shittu combined.

Do we really have to stomach all this on CE? People who do not have the intellectual capacity to argue their case resort to name calling when they are presented with thoughtful analysis. Take it or leave it but the likes of Simon Moses and Ahmed Musa are not good enough if a team is serious about competing (not participating) in the World Cup.

I listed 11 players who helped Nigeria qualify for Russia 2018 who should be thanked for their services but alas, they are simply not talented enough for the big dance. We are not going to face Swaziland, Algeria, Cameroon and Zambia at the World Cup!

Name me one other current Nigerian footballer who can do all this:
Damn... Kelechi Nwakali is just UNBELIEVABLY GOOD technically. Its just a showreel, but the touch is golden. Dare I say Zidanesque?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Kelechi has top class passing both long and short, seriously he needs to be in the SE... after Mikel he is easily the best passer of the ball right now..very intelligent player.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

marutimon wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:Dude, you've repeatedly demonstrated you lack the intellectual capacity to understand football, as you have yet to put forth one cohesive argument to support your emotionally driven assertions . Need I remind you of some sub-par players you have tried to foist on us over the years, for as long as you've been on this forum (i.e. Friday Onyekwu, to shake a few cobwebs for you).

You have the temerity to call a player, who has done what the coach has asked of him and has earned the coach's trust, primarily through hard work and graft ‘unintelligent’? That is crass and uncouth, to say the least. This is a player who actually WON the Belgian league while this fellow you're positing (Onyekuru) hasn't even come anywhere close to doing that. Yes, he ended up being top scorer on a one-man team last season, but has failed to replicate that at Anderlecht, to the extent that he is being played as a winger and not striker (which he was at Eupen) because the Anderlecht coach has expressed doubts regarding his work ethic as a striker (something I observed while watching the Mouscron vs. Anderlecht match yesterday evening). This tells me he is struggling to be a true team player

You call your arguments thoughtful? How would you classify someone putting up a list of a so-called ‘stay at home Eagles’, which comprises a good number of players who are part of the core of the current Eagles? Common sense should suggest to you that the bulk of the players you denigrated would actually constitute part of the squad of 23. The persons you would take in their stead have yet to show any credible demonstration that they can hack it at their club level, let alone on the national team. Case in point: Nwakali at Venlo, who is a bench warmer, at best!. Yet you would gladly take him to the greatest football tournament ever, at the expense of someone who has been tried and battle tested? That, to me, not only shows a gross lack of critical thinking and deductive reasoning on your part, but a lack of maturity in your thought process when it comes to football.
Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Otitokoro wrote:That's rather crass and uncouth of you to say that. Those boys have always put in their best and made Nigeria proud when called to service.
And all because you have failed woefully as a paid agent in trying to superimpose your boys into the SE.
Shame on you!
I must be the most successful agent in the world, if I have got all these boys on my book. Kai. It looks like I have more players combined that Nigeria's most two successful agents Churchill Oliseh and John Shittu combined.

Do we really have to stomach all this on CE? People who do not have the intellectual capacity to argue their case resort to name calling when they are presented with thoughtful analysis. Take it or leave it but the likes of Simon Moses and Ahmed Musa are not good enough if a team is serious about competing (not participating) in the World Cup.

I listed 11 players who helped Nigeria qualify for Russia 2018 who should be thanked for their services but alas, they are simply not talented enough for the big dance. We are not going to face Swaziland, Algeria, Cameroon and Zambia at the World Cup!

Name me one other current Nigerian footballer who can do all this:
Damn... Kelechi Nwakali is just UNBELIEVABLY GOOD technically. Its just a showreel, but the touch is golden. Dare I say Zidanesque?
He can do things that no other of the 180m of us can do. It would be a crime against humanity for Rohr not to invite him to camp in March.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

nzeogwu wrote:Dear Arm chair coaches,

Keep dreaming.

Rohr employs two (and a half) fundamental formations:

4;2;3;1; (Big target man)
3;5;2: (Two mobile forwards)

In either formation, Onyekuru for all his talent does not fit unless:

Simon, Bazee and Musa fail to make the squad.

No player that can only play one position, effectively will make the WC squad unless, they have already been playing regularly.

Iwobi, Mikel, Etebo, Nacho, Moses, can play multiple positions, effectively.

Bazee, Onyekuru, Musa cannot.
No wahala. Simon Moses and Ahmed Musa will watch the World Cup from the comfort of their homes.
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

If Bazzee is fit, I would be shocked if he doesn't make it ahead if Onyekuru. I hate that, but I think Rohr's mind is made up.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

bully12 wrote:

By Gary Stonehouse

the thing amazes me.

You have all these European giants scouting him. He was top scorer in Belgium last season with a crappy club, this season he is also near the top

yet some fools are claiming we should take Ahmed Musa to Russia instead because

- he is experienced
- he scored 2 goals against Argentina 4 YEARS AGO.
- he is a nice guy who gets along with the team

So forget the top scorer who is being courted by European giants and instead go with a guy who cannot even make the bench of a struggling EPL side and has been demoted to playing U23 club matches.

Cyber eagles is certainly a very funny place. Some people do not wish Nigeria well.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

What if Onyekuru plays terribly in pre-wc friendles and Musa scores 2 and assists 2? Some of you would still want Onyekuru at the WC over Musa. I say let them battle for the spot.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Synopsis wrote:What if Onyekuru plays terribly in pre-wc friendles and Musa scores 2 and assists 2? Some of you would still want Onyekuru at the WC over Musa. I say let them battle for the spot.

For me, if we want to do well, we should take four widemen to the World Cup. This is what my list would look like:

Victor Moses
Henry Onyekuru
Kelechi Iheanacho
Dessers/Bonaventure/Bazee/Success/Nwakaeme

Players who just run with their heads down like Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon have no business in the squad. We have tried the likes of Tijani Babangida and Pius Ikedia before and it got us nowhere.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
Synopsis wrote:What if Onyekuru plays terribly in pre-wc friendles and Musa scores 2 and assists 2? Some of you would still want Onyekuru at the WC over Musa. I say let them battle for the spot.

For me, if we want to do well, we should take four widemen to the World Cup. This is what my list would look like:

Victor Moses
Henry Onyekuru
Kelechi Iheanacho
Dessers/Bonaventure/Bazee/Success/Nwakaeme

Players who just run with their heads down like Ahmed Musa and Moses Simon have no business in the squad. We have tried the likes of Tijani Babangida and Pius Ikedia before and it got us nowhere.

Iheanacho is not a wide man.

Also Simon Moses is not as bad as you are making him out to be. He has done not too bad in qualifiers. He has pace and much more trickery than Musa. He also comes back to defend and is a set piece threat. For me I will try to make a place for Simon because he is a decent bench player.

Musa however has been very poor in GWG for quite some time and his club situation isn't helping.

I agree that Rohr should take 4 wide players and 2 strikers

For me now the 2 strikers are

Ighalo
Iheanacho

Currently the 4 wide players (not including injuries)

1. Victor Moses
2. Alex Iwobi
3. Henry Onyekuru
4. Moses Simon

However when we look at injured players and others who have not gotten a decent look we can add the following wide options

Noah Bazee
Isaac Success
Dennis Bonaventure

Ideally if all players are healthy and doing allright for their clubs I would like to see this

Strikers

1. Odion Ighalo
2. Kelechi Iheanacho

Wide attackers

1. Victor Moses
2. Noah Bazee
3. Isaac Success
4. Henry Onyekuru

Alex Iwobi will be moved to take one of the midfield positions, but in all honesty I would consider removing one of Bazee, Success, Onyekuru for Moses Simon who gives you much more in hustle and defending.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Let Rohr choose the players that are most in form (club AND national)
Selecting players by club form only is almost as bad as selecting by sentiment. Give Onyekuru a proper run. If he flops, no world cup.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Delete