Taribo West

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

imehjunior
Egg
Egg
Taribo West

Post by imehjunior »

Was listening to him on a radio station yesterday. Part of the gist was he said he was blacklisted from the Super Eagles because after the team meeting after the 2002 WC when Kanu and Okocha failed to speak up he challanged the NFA over their decision to drop Oliseh, Finidi and co.
Also noticed he was also being listed amongst the greats by the presenters and callers. Gone to watch some old clips but my question here was how good was he?
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
rudellar
Egg
Egg
Re: Taribo West

Post by rudellar »

Better than anyone on the current se def. French league to italian giants. Did his thing.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

The NFF of the past was really a monster in all aspects. They weren't doing a good job, yet doesn't want to be asked "why" somethings were not going well. They tried to dupe the players and when the players refused,they were branded and blacklisted.

As to being good, well it all depends on who you ask, but to me, he was very good or was better than the AVERAGE
Last edited by Odas on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

He was better than all of them. Really was the most talented defender Nigeria ever had. At Auxere, he was literally impossible to get around. Never beaten one on one.
But he wasn’t just rugged and hard; he was deceptively good on the ball.
At Milan, his legend just grew.
I’ve seen people include Yobo on lists of all time great, deserved, yes, but not ahead of West.
Personally in my view only Keshi comes before West. Not Chukwu, not Okechukwu and certainly not Yobo.
You only need to look at the places he played and what he achieved to recognise this.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

imehjunior wrote:Was listening to him on a radio station yesterday. Part of the gist was he said he was blacklisted from the Super Eagles because after the team meeting after the 2002 WC when Kanu and Okocha failed to speak up he challanged the NFA over their decision to drop Oliseh, Finidi and co.
Also noticed he was also being listed amongst the greats by the presenters and callers. Gone to watch some old clips but my question here was how good was he?
West was a worldclass CB, played for top clubs , HE was in that Inter-Milan squad, that had a list , Ronaldo, etc .. Then Inter was the PSG of football( money wise )
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

With his blue and black locks he developed a mean reputation as one of football's hard men. Was prone to the occasional lapse but a proper, no nonsense defender. :thumb:

Also a true patriot, he always gave his all in the GWG.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Taribo’s “prime” was between 1997-2000. And he was one of the top 10 CBs in Europe at that time. He was outstanding ...As far as SE goes, best CB since 94
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:Taribo’s “prime” was between 1997-2000. And he was one of the top 10 CBs in Europe at that time. He was outstanding ...As far as SE goes, best CB since 94
The guy put fear in attackers and was good with the ball at his feet. We wish we had one like him today!

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

waka-man wrote:He was better than all of them. Really was the most talented defender Nigeria ever had. At Auxere, he was literally impossible to get around. Never beaten one on one.
I’ve seen people include Yobo on lists of all time great, deserved, yes, but not ahead of West.
Personally in my view only Keshi comes before West. Not Chukwu, not Okechukwu and certainly not Yobo.
You only need to look at the places he played and what he achieved to recognise this.
With due respect, West was not better than Chukwu, and not better than Okechukwu.

Featuring for a top European team ain't the be all and end all (a myriad of factors contribute)...
Else we should all agree Gbenga Okunowo is an all-time great for Nigeria...

Many of us watched Okechukwu and West play as a CB combo for the SEagles many many times; and we know who was a better defender...

I don't know if you ever watched Chukwu play; I did many many times, and West wasn't better...(to drive home my point, its a hell of a toss-up between Keshi & Chukwu who was better)

West was good, to say he tops Chukwu is blasphemy...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Really?

Have we forgotten that Oliseh led a boycott of SE to protest NFA's sack of AKE3 after the ANC?

He wanted the key players to boycott our WC team. Oliseh and Agali somehow refused to show. Even Taribo showed up at the last minute .

Cmoke

imehjunior wrote:Was listening to him on a radio station yesterday. Part of the gist was he said he was blacklisted from the Super Eagles because after the team meeting after the 2002 WC when Kanu and Okocha failed to speak up he challanged the NFA over their decision to drop Oliseh, Finidi and co.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
waka-man wrote:He was better than all of them. Really was the most talented defender Nigeria ever had. At Auxere, he was literally impossible to get around. Never beaten one on one.
With due respect, West was not better than Chukwu, and not better than Okechukwu.

Featuring for a top European team ain't the be all and end all (a myriad of factors contribute)...
Else we should all agree Gbenga Okunowo is an all-time great for Nigeria...

Many of us watched Okechukwu and West play as a CB combo for the SEagles many many times; and we know who was a better defender...

I don't know if you ever watched Chukwu play; I did many many times, and West wasn't better...(to drive home my point, its a hell of a toss-up between Keshi & Chukwu who was better)

West was good, to say he tops Chukwu is blasphemy...
The comparison with Okunowo is way off. Taribo was a starter for many years at elite teams not a flash in the pan rookie called in to deputize during an injury crisis at the club.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

When he first showed up in the pre-1994 WC friendly against Sweden which we lost 1-3, he was raw. But he transitioned into a great player. His tackle against Andrei Kanchelskis in Italy was brutal.

[/video]
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

West was a starter at Inter when Italians were famed to be masters of the art of defending. He was detailed to mark the most dangerous attacker on the other side - Batistuta, Baggio, etc. The 2 best CBs I've watched for Nigeria are West and Chukwu.
http://www.naijiant.com/
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

imehjunior, West was one of the best defenders in Serie A back when Serie A had the best defenders in the world. He was certainly the most FEARED there too.

At his peak, Taribo was.....a beast.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

He was kicked out after he called his teammates junk in 2002.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Why do we often isolate specific qualities while debating GOAT for any position...?
GOAT debate must always assess the complete package of the player for the position in question...

Question: Given the players' complete skill-sets, who would we rather choose for CB roles..?

My idea of a GOAT defender is not just about 'defending'(stopping the opposition offence)...
its about leadership from the back; its about comprehensive back-four/five command or influence;
and its about ability to spring attacks whenever necessary from the defence...

In my humble opinion, West & Okechukwu were mere 'stoppers'...

Chukwu & Keshi..?
They were 'stoppers' and much much more...
In addition to excellent defensive prowess, both could play 50 yard passes from the back...
Both could bend free-kicks too (reason they both scored goals for club & country)...

Leadership..? Go figure...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

imehjunior wrote:.....but my question here was how good was he?
Good enough to play for Inter and AC Milan which back in the day were similar to your Barca/Real rivalry.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

CHEII! My nickname for high school was TARIBO WEST! :clap: :clap: Although I was a Right FULL back, I modelled my game after Taribo!
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:CHEII! My nickname for high school was TARIBO WEST! :clap: :clap: Although I was a Right FULL back, I modelled my game after Taribo!
We just to call a dada kid in our class Taribo - he played CB - and he slapped us because "Taribo was ugly". :lol: :lol:
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

cchinukw wrote:
imehjunior wrote:.....but my question here was how good was he?
Good enough to play for Inter and AC Milan which back in the day were similar to your Barca/Real rivalry.
All those Italian teams sell players to each other without much care.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

THE BEST PERIOD!
He played @ the HIGHEST level ( of all time)
No LIVING Nigerian player has played @ a higher level than RIBO
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote:
danfo driver wrote:CHEII! My nickname for high school was TARIBO WEST! :clap: :clap: Although I was a Right FULL back, I modelled my game after Taribo!
We just to call a dada kid in our class Taribo - he played CB - and he slapped us because "Taribo was ugly". :lol: :lol:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

THE BEST PERIOD!
He played @ the HIGHEST level ( of all time)
No LIVING Nigerian player has played @ a higher level than RIBO
Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos