The NIGERIAN style of Play...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kendo
Egg
Egg
The NIGERIAN style of Play...

Post by kendo »

I was watching this video (below) and the guy talking mentioned he misses Nigeria's style of play. He was critical of the European style of play that the Eagles seemed to have adopted.

I wanted to hear your views. What to you think? I do remember there was a flair we once had and I don't always see it when Super-Eagles play nowadays.

What do you think?

[/video]
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The NIGERIAN style of Play...

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

He makes 5 videos a day on Chelsea and Arsenal and he wants to see the Nigerian style. He’s useless. :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

I understand perfectly where the guy is coming from.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He makes 5 videos a day on Chelsea and Arsenal and he wants to see the Nigerian style. He’s useless. :boo:
What happened to Emir? Why the sudden dislike of HH? Weren't you the one promoting him. Clearly, you don't seem to disagree with what he said. It sounds personal
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:He makes 5 videos a day on Chelsea and Arsenal and he wants to see the Nigerian style. He’s useless. :boo:
What "flair?" How far has the flair led us? We don't need any lair; rather, we need to win games with, or without flair.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

What's our obsession in recent years with German coaches?

It is clear they can't manage flair players because of their rigid approach to the game.

Next time we go shopping for a foreign coach I hope we turn our attention to South America - maybe Argentina or Brazil.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Nigerian style of play, AKA playground soccer ... abeg mek we hia word

Wha choo looking at?!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

We've talked about this for years. Search thru the forum.

However, one thing I must note with this Eagles generation is the strongest players in this crop are in central midfield, that has almost never happened before IIRC. Typically we have our strong players in central dense and in attack. Central midfield has tended to be a weakness....in 94, the main horse was a young Oliseh. This team has 3/4 CMs who are excellent so expecting whatever that typical Nigerian style is from this crop is not going to happen.

If anything, we need to MAXIMIZE the current strengths and build around that which is what I think Rohr has tried to do.

Going forward, we need to wonder if our system is tilting towards producing a certain style of player. As I said at the start, we've talked about this before. Brazil had to have similar discussions.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

cchinukw wrote:What's our obsession in recent years with German coaches?

It is clear they can't manage flair players because of their rigid approach to the game.

Next time we go shopping for a foreign coach I hope we turn our attention to South America - maybe Argentina or Brazil.
And therein lies the problem. Almost 60 years of independence and no Nigerian can be the Manager.

smh! ...Rohr
Last edited by asabe on Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

If you are African and you play well as a defensive midfielder, you are guaranteed many years of employment in Europe..Guess what the academies in Africa emphasize.
platinum wrote:We've talked about this for years. Search thru the forum.

However, one thing I must note with this Eagles generation is the strongest players in this crop are in central midfield, that has almost never happened before IIRC. Typically we have our strong players in central dense and in attack. Central midfield has tended to be a weakness....in 94, the main horse was a young Oliseh. This team has 3/4 CMs who are excellent so expecting whatever that typical Nigerian style is from this crop is not going to happen.

If anything, we need to MAXIMIZE the current strengths and build around that which is what I think Rohr has tried to do.

Going forward, we need to wonder if our system is tilting towards producing a certain style of player. As I said at the start, we've talked about this before. Brazil had to have similar discussions.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Our worst outing at AFCON was under Berti Vogts, a German. No wonder Rohr always says he is " French-German." Hahahaha. Rohr na smart man sha
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

cchinukw wrote:I understand perfectly where the guy is coming from.
yea the Nigerian style of play that was characterized by spontaneous clownish Harlem globetrotting displays that entertained the white man and left black brothers hungry and no trophy to show for it
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Dude is obsessed with Obalende. I miss the heighting and show am leg sha.
papilo
Egg
Egg

Post by papilo »

Me too. That said, it has only gotten us to the round of 16 at the world cup and won us only 3 major trophies in our history as a nation. Not good enough. We can't keep doing the same thing and expecting a different result.
yes o
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Can there be a balance?

The Naija-flair style of play with discipline and technicality Rohr is trying to instill?

(When I say discipline I mean: egos being put in check, no selfish-I-Wannbe-the-hero behaviour we have seen before.)
Anyone that can fry 3 sets of plantain without putting any in their mouth can keep a secret.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

kendo wrote:I was watching this video (below) and the guy talking mentioned he misses Nigeria's style of play. He was critical of the European style of play that the Eagles seemed to have adopted.

I wanted to hear your views. What to you think? I do remember there was a flair we once had and I don't always see it when Super-Eagles play nowadays.

What do you think?

[/video]
This bloke is as clueless as some internet coaches here................Under the Bridge Ko Over the Fly-over ni
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

:sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: You must be related to this guy...............U always show whenever his video pops up on CE.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

We are missing something. If you look at the Olympic team of 1996 they had the confidence to play the ball to feet even when the receiving player was marked because the ball control / skills of practically every player on the team was at such a high level. We had players who could take on players and create disruption. Now we play this new Euro style of passing the ball around and passing back or sideways every time there is a slight chance we may have to risk taking on a player. Victor Moses and Iwobi still have some of that old flair but generally we have lost it.

We have however gained the discipline we used to lack in many ways.

Today I wouldn’t expect us to lose 4-1 to Denmark like 1998. But I’m also not sure we would beat Brazil 4-3 in the Olympics.

Ideally we should find the balance between the flair and discipline.

Otherwise we will become a team that consistently does “ok” but never has the potential to work the magic to conquer the world as we’ve done at the Olympics and youth events.
The real deal
Egg
Egg

Post by The real deal »

donadoni wrote:We are missing something. If you look at the Olympic team of 1996 they had the confidence to play the ball to feet even when the receiving player was marked because the ball control / skills of practically every player on the team was at such a high level. We had players who could take on players and create disruption. Now we play this new Euro style of passing the ball around and passing back or sideways every time there is a slight chance we may have to risk taking on a player. Victor Moses and Iwobi still have some of that old flair but generally we have lost it.

Today I wouldn’t expect us to lose 4-1 to Denmark like 1998. But I’m also not sure we would beat Brazil 4-3 in the Olympics.

Otherwise we will become a team that consistently does “ok” but never has the potential to work the magic to conquer the world as we’ve done at the Olympics and youth events.

Every nation that's had some form of success always have a form of identity. When our best players were mostly from Belgium, Holland , Germany and Denmark as well as home based ones ( Friday Ekpo, Bright Omokaro, Demola Adeshina, Ndubuisi Okosieme, Friday Elaho.......glorious days......... The Nigerian style is Distinct.....Gifted wingers (right and left), sometimes wing backs...
The advent and Predominance of EPL in our national life IS RUINING our football...... Some of the current WCQ played by this team sometimes looks so predictable , like watching Westham/ Chelsea/ Stoke.........

Where is this?

Cujus esqulum, ajus es usqui ad inferos
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

highbury wrote:Our worst outing at AFCON was under Berti Vogts, a German. No wonder Rohr always says he is " French-German." Hahahaha. Rohr na smart man sha
Nag man, 1982 was worse. Defending Champions crashed out in group stages. I can't remember if it was Otto Gloria who coached us
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
kendo
Egg
Egg

Post by kendo »

Yes! I agree with you.
donadoni wrote:We are missing something. If you look at the Olympic team of 1996 they had the confidence to play the ball to feet even when the receiving player was marked because the ball control / skills of practically every player on the team was at such a high level. We had players who could take on players and create disruption. Now we play this new Euro style of passing the ball around and passing back or sideways every time there is a slight chance we may have to risk taking on a player. Victor Moses and Iwobi still have some of that old flair but generally we have lost it.

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

The Olympic team was amazing and their win was spectacular but let's keep it in perspective. That was an age-grade competition, not the WC. You need flair but mostly you need rock solid tactical football to do well at the WC.

Wha choo looking at?!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

platinum wrote:We've talked about this for years. Search thru the forum.

And they have gone back to re-incorporating a bit of samba in their game, a difference from the dark days of Dunga.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16