NIGERIA IS ONE POTENT STRIKER AWAY FROM BEING TRULY DOMINANT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
NIGERIA IS ONE POTENT STRIKER AWAY FROM BEING TRULY DOMINANT

Post by 1naija »

Rohr has built a solid team, that's why I support him staying on at least through the ANC. We need Uzoho to continue growing to seal the goalkeeper position. So while I think we are a bit weak at this position, I believe we have enough to stay competitive in the position.

What Nigeria lack and has lacked for a while now is a potent striker. We have players like Musa and Iheanacho that can be on a streak and score every once in a while, but to be truly dominant we need a striker that can put away chances like Messi, Ronaldo, Salah, etc do for their clubs. If a Messi or Ronaldo type scorer were playing for us he would have put away the chance Iheanacho wasted in the first half when he intercepted a defensive error pass by one of the Argentina player. Instead of driving to score, he tried to get the ball to his left side to use his left foot, which allowed the Argentina defense to recover. Even Moses would have put away that chance or get us a penalty. A potent striker would have put away the 2 chances Ighalo blew. To win at this level, we must have players that can covert those clear chances.

Unfortunately I don't see any such player on the horizon. Iheanacho, Musa, Simi, Nwakali, Ighalo, Ayowomi are of the same caliber as far as I am concerned. None of them can change the game for us if we need them to.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: NIGERIA IS ONE POTENT STRIKER AWAY FROM BEING TRULY DOMI

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:Rohr has built a solid team, that's why I support him staying on at least through the ANC. We need Uzoho to continue growing to seal the goalkeeper position. So while I think we are a bit weak at this position, I believe we have enough to stay competitive in the position.

What Nigeria lack and has lacked for a while now is a potent striker. We have players like Musa and Iheanacho that can be on a streak and score every once in a while, but to be truly dominant we need a striker that can put away chances like Messi, Ronaldo, Salah, etc do for their clubs. If a Messi or Ronaldo type scorer were playing for us he would have put away the chance Iheanacho wasted in the first half when he intercepted a defensive error pass by one of the Argentina player. Instead of driving to score, he tried to get the ball to his left side to use his left foot, which allowed the Argentina defense to recover. Even Moses would have put away that chance or get us a penalty. A potent striker would have put away the 2 chances Ighalo blew. To win at this level, we must have players that can covert those clear chances.

Unfortunately I don't see any such player on the horizon. Iheanacho, Musa, Simi, Nwakali, Ighalo, Ayowomi are of the same caliber as far as I am concerned. None of them can change the game for us if we need them to.
brah what we should be praying for , is for Peakmilk to win the next election. If he wins , then all what you wrote , will be useful. I no wan talk anything but election dey come up and wahala done dey come ..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote:Rohr has built a solid team, that's why I support him staying on at least through the ANC. We need Uzoho to continue growing to seal the goalkeeper position. So while I think we are a bit weak at this position, I believe we have enough to stay competitive in the position.

That was so frustrating! Usual Nacho would take a snap shot without needing any backlift. The guy was just off yesterday. I agree with you generally, but we still need better full backs than we currently have. Re striker, i hope Oshimen continues to develop in Germany.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bestplayer
Egg
Egg

Post by Bestplayer »

Continuing with Rohr is akin to committing football suicide. The definition of madness is repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result :idea:
Okonkwo in da house
Egg
Egg

Post by Okonkwo in da house »

Nigeria still has an unbalanced midfield. Only Mikel can hold the ball; the touches of the rest leaves much to be desired. Nigeria won't go anywhere with a mediocre midfield.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I’m still thinking of the imaginary player rohr droppe that would had made a difference or the imagine formation that oils had made a difference. We didn’t take our chances and lost to a better team
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

When I saw 1naija open a thread i thought he was writing about the kain kain Maradonna must have drank, When did you start writing about football :D
Oya back to the matter
open and close
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I agree with you on this one. Let's hope guys like Awoniyi and Sadiq come good
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
fishward6
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward6 »

Sorry Rubbish Spain has Costa and still struggle u need an engine room . That’s most important we have none since Okocha left
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Prince wrote:When I saw 1naija open a thread i thought he was writing about the kain kain Maradonna must have drank, When did you start writing about football :D

What is this na :mad: :mad:

Just because we left Eagles nest for EPL riffraffs, riffraffs that shake 3 days before games, weed smoking riffraffs that release goalassoooo once every 10 years, and 72 years old riffraffs that ARE NOT EXPERTS at football formations, does not mean we are not experts at the game. But don't worry, I am working behind the scene to clean the board and rid it of riffraffs so I get back to teaching hanky hawking riffraffs a thing or 2 about the game.
Last edited by 1naija on Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote:
Prince wrote:When I saw 1naija open a thread i thought he was writing about the kain kain Maradonna must have drank, When did you start writing about football :D

What is this na :mad: :mad:

Just because we left Eagles nest for EPL riffraffs, riffraffs that shake 3 days before games, weed smoking riffraffs that release goalassoooo once every 10 years, and 72 years old riffraffs that ARE NOT EXPERTS at football formations, does not mean we are not experts at the game. But don't worry, I am working behind the scene to clean the board and rid it of riffraffs so we I get back to teaching hanky hawking riffraffs a thing or 2 about the game.
:rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

fishward6 wrote:

Sorry Rubbish Spain has Costa and still struggle u need an engine room . That’s most important we have none since Okocha left
When did Spain start struggling? Fire your coach the day before your opener at the WC and let's see how potent you will be.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

YUJAM wrote:I agree with you on this one. Let's hope guys like Awoniyi and Sadiq come good

Unfortunately I rate those 2 below the ones I already listed. We need an Eto'o type player on our team.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

1naija wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I agree with you on this one. Let's hope guys like Awoniyi and Sadiq come good

Unfortunately I rate those 2 below the ones I already listed. We need an Eto'o type player on our team.

Nah beans? Bros players like Eto'o are generational. E go tey before we unearth one like that. I'll take an Osaze, Yakubu, Martins type player that will score more often than not.

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

People talk like when Okocha was around we were winning Nations Cups and World Cup yanfu yanfu.
The great King Kanu scored a grand total of zero goals for us at major tournaments.
And they failed to qualify in 2006
Failed to beat 10 man Ghana in 2008
Abeg

Right now we have our best team since 94. And 1Naija is right we are one good striker away from being a top side. Even Emenike of 2013 would make this team better.

Sadiq might be it. Iheanacho might come good. Or Osimhen might become the one.

And heck, this is Nigeria; some dude might explode out of nowhere.

Until then anyone who tries to bust up this team thunder go fire am
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

No sacking please, it does not solve anything, lets bulld from here, we know what players should be discarded, at least 5-6 places should be up for grabs
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bestplayer wrote:Continuing with Rohr is akin to committing football suicide. The definition of madness is repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result :idea:
And do you know what that mistake is?
Sacking coach after coach at the earliest opportunity after a string of bad results.

How do you think we were able to clock '20 coaches in 20 years'?
By repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result! :idea:

You are suggesting we continue the exact same trend.
But of course, I expect to hear you say "this one is different". :lol: :lol: :lol: .
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fishward6
Egg
Egg

Post by fishward6 »

Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Spot on. We don't have any quality striker. This is one area we're seriously lacking. When Ighalo was stinking up the place people were screaming for Iheanacho as the saviour. The coach duly responded to their wishes by starting Iheanacho and as we can see, it made no difference. The much-maligned Musa is the one to make the difference against Iceland but he is also a below-par striker when we're talking about the highest levels. The fact he is the one making the difference for us just exposes the true state of our strike force.

Pinnick and co need to go on the hunt for strikers. The current lot are all very average.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I disagree

We also lack quick defenders and creative midfielders
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Rohr should stay. But we should not pretend that he cannot be called out.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Bestplayer wrote:Continuing with Rohr is akin to committing football suicide. The definition of madness is repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result :idea:
And do you know what that mistake is?
Sacking coach after coach at the earliest opportunity after a string of bad results.

How do you think we were able to clock '20 coaches in 20 years'?
By "repeating the same mistake over and over and expecting a different result"

You are suggesting we continue the exact same trend.
But of course, I expect to hear you say "this one is different". :lol: :lol: :lol: .

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

I thought of this too, and I think a solution might be in re-directing that money we used for the goalkeeper trainer into training some of the local strikers back home. We know our strikers are less likely to be given a decent chance at a decent European club, so why not focus on those who we can control and help them improve. Identify them now, work hard on them and get them involved with the National team as early as possible. Lakoko showed promise. Build on it especially if he doesn't make that move to Europe now.
To stop trying is to start dying