I AM CONFLICTED ABOUT RETAINING ROHR

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
I AM CONFLICTED ABOUT RETAINING ROHR

Post by vancity eagle »

1. On one hand stability is key, and it is not as if this Rohr team is poor. They are very structured, pretty good defensively, can get results against decent teams. He qualified us from the toughest African qualifying group in history with a game to spare and that is nothing to scoff at. I believe a Rohr coached Nigeria side will be favourite to win the ANC. I believe the type of structure and defense he has built will be very hard to breach when coming up against fellow African opposition.

2. On the other hand, the team is too one dimensional, static, conservative, doesn't play with that attacking flair which we all love. Rohr is too slow and conservative a coach. He doesn't seem to have an eye for talent but just likes to stick with his tried and tested, and this is very detrimental. He makes horrible use of substitutions and has not instilled the proper DNA in this team. African teams are not going to succeed by trying to play European style football. You cannot beat them at their own game, you must beat them AT YOUR GAME.

So I feel we have a major decision to make, and I am really torn at which way to go. Ultimately 2022 has to be the goal from this very moment.

If we keep Rohr we will be a solid side, probably win a nations cup, but will most definitely fail to live to our utmost potential at the 2022 WC.

If we sack Rohr and hire the wrong coach, it will be very detrimental, and we may go back to the disarray which preceeded Rohr's arrival.

If We sack Rohr and hire the proper coach (has to be a South American, or dutch IMO) then this team could possibly reach great heights. We have to be clear about what we want.

We need to tell a new coach,(if that is the direction we take) that we want "the best" players, we want attacking football, and we need to integrate young talents who play smart, technical, attacking football, and NOT KICK AND RUSH, or GRA GRA.

Personally I would like to see a Brazilian coaching this team, with youth talents integrated.

Players who will not be around in 2022 should no longer be called IMO, even for ANC 2019. We need to blood new players right now for 2022, no time can be wasted.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg
Re: I AM CONFLICTED ABOUT RETAINING ROHR

Post by Rawlings »

Rohr is not the problem
Naija simply lack quality players
Did u really expect a bunch of EPL rejects, Chinese league players, division 2 benchwarmers, relegated players & Nigerian "mercenaries" to do better than they did?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
wazobia
Egg
Egg

Post by wazobia »

Rawlings wrote:Rohr is not the problem
Did u really expect a bunch of EPL rejects, Chinese league players, division 2 benchwarmers, relegated players & Nigerian "mercenaries" to do better than they did?
They were within 5 minutes of making the round of 16. Smart game management by the coach would have secured their place
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

wazobia wrote:
They were within 5 minutes of making the round of 16. Smart game management by the coach would have secured their place
How would better game management have prevented the cross that led to the winning goal for Argentina? We did not advance because of inexperience. What cost is not game management but inexperienced silly mistakes against Croatia. That was a game we should have and would have won but for our mistakes.

Firing Rohr now will bring us back to square one and may cost us qualification for the ANC. I do think he should be evaluated after the ANC and replaced if necessary.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

vancity eagle wrote:1. On one hand stability is key, and it is not as if this Rohr team is poor. They are very structured, pretty good defensively, can get results against decent teams. He qualified us from the toughest African qualifying group in history with a game to spare and that is nothing to scoff at. I believe a Rohr coached Nigeria side will be favourite to win the ANC. I believe the type of structure and defense he has built will be very hard to breach when coming up against fellow African opposition.

2. On the other hand, the team is too one dimensional, static, conservative, doesn't play with that attacking flair which we all love. Rohr is too slow and conservative a coach. He doesn't seem to have an eye for talent but just likes to stick with his tried and tested, and this is very detrimental. He makes horrible use of substitutions and has not instilled the proper DNA in this team. African teams are not going to succeed by trying to play European style football. You cannot beat them at their own game, you must beat them AT YOUR GAME.

So I feel we have a major decision to make, and I am really torn at which way to go. Ultimately 2022 has to be the goal from this very moment.

If we keep Rohr we will be a solid side, probably win a nations cup, but will most definitely fail to live to our utmost potential at the 2022 WC.

If we sack Rohr and hire the wrong coach, it will be very detrimental, and we may go back to the disarray which preceeded Rohr's arrival.

If We sack Rohr and hire the proper coach (has to be a South American, or dutch IMO) then this team could possibly reach great heights. We have to be clear about what we want.

We need to tell a new coach,(if that is the direction we take) that we want "the best" players, we want attacking football, and we need to integrate young talents who play smart, technical, attacking football, and NOT KICK AND RUSH, or GRA GRA.

Personally I would like to see a Brazilian coaching this team, with youth talents integrated.

Players who will not be around in 2022 should no longer be called IMO, even for ANC 2019. We need to blood new players right now for 2022, no time can be wasted.
It seems you are admitting that the foundation is already in place.
The smart thing to do is to build and improve upon the foundation rather than risk ripping it apart and starting from scratch.

Rohr is not the issue. We need more talent and better chemistry among the existing team. This will happen organically overtime and with good management (which is in place).

One option to improve our dynamism might be to add one more Nigerian coach to the staff. Would love to have someone like SiaSia or Finidi become an assistant coach under Rohr. It will also help for us to expand our formations to incorporate more offensive formations like 4-3-3, introducing faster wingers like Moses Simon and Henry Onyekeru into the team.

It will be a terrible mistake to fire Rohr at this point.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

vancity eagle wrote:1. On one hand stability is key, and it is not as if this Rohr team is poor. They are very structured, pretty good defensively, can get results against decent teams. He qualified us from the toughest African qualifying group in history with a game to spare and that is nothing to scoff at. I believe a Rohr coached Nigeria side will be favourite to win the ANC. I believe the type of structure and defense he has built will be very hard to breach when coming up against fellow African opposition.

Rohr should be fired, no sentiments. The SE can do better with a tactical coach, the SE qualified for the World Cup because of individual brilliance from players like Vic mo and Mikel. Remember Rohr lost to SA in Nigeria without those guys. The SE can do better with a new coach with innovative ideas. Rohr is old and clueless on the strengths of the SE after spending all these years coaching in africa. Let's try finidi, or a competent foreign coach.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Hmmm at 47K USD a month and all the preparation as well as support he had ...he was good for only managing team spirit and possibly preventing junk players.

He failed in area of tactical acumen , according to some people on the forum to whom much is given much is expected, so I think we should nicely part ways but :sneaky:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

9jaMan wrote:

Rohr should be fired, no sentiments. The SE can do better with a tactical coach, the SE qualified for the World Cup because of individual brilliance from players like Vic mo and Mikel. Remember Rohr lost to SA in Nigeria without those guys. The SE can do better with a new coach with innovative ideas. Rohr is old and clueless on the strengths of the SE after spending all these years coaching in africa. Let's try finidi, or a competent foreign coach.
Kpom :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Staff Sgt Cota VI
Egg
Egg

Post by Staff Sgt Cota VI »

9jaMan wrote:

Give it a break. We lost the SA game as a result of complacency from the likes of Ihenacho et al. It was very obvious from their body language that they simply expected to show and be handed a victory by the South Africans. All we need to do is build on the gains of Rohr and the sky would be the limit for us...
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

wazobia wrote:
Ghana was within one second of making the WC semi finals
My point: it does not matter how close u were.
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Rawlings wrote:
wazobia wrote:
Ghana was within one second of making the WC semi finals
My point: it does not matter how close u were.

Who cares about your ghananese point, FOH
2drama
Eaglet
Eaglet
Location: To my Late Grand-Papa Pa onyemere(he left us oct-26-07) -i miss you -R-I-P

Post by 2drama »

1naija wrote:
wazobia wrote:
How would better game management have prevented the cross that led to the winning goal for Argentina? We did not advance because of inexperience. What cost is not game management but inexperienced silly mistakes against Croatia. That was a game we should have and would have won but for our mistakes.

Firing Rohr now will bring us back to square one and may cost us qualification for the ANC. I do think he should be evaluated after the ANC and replaced if necessary.
I agree

His next goal if he is still coach should be to qualify Nigeria for the next ANC 2019 and target goal nothing less than Championship or worst case Bronze match
http://www.2dramasports.com is live ,Get SE downloads links or watch online links
Get Your Super Eagles Games on DvD Pm 2drama don't live history have a part of it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_national_football_team
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Conflicted? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: This maga really takes himself seriously,as if he has the slightest clue about whathes taking about. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

2drama wrote:
1naija wrote:
wazobia wrote:

I agree

His next goal if he is still coach should be to qualify Nigeria for the next ANC 2019 and target goal nothing less than Championship or worst case Bronze match
Sack the coward....if you fail, you get the sack and he failed big time.

The great Amodu qualified us twice and both times...UNDEFEATED and still got sacked after winning bronze, so why won't a coward that lost to SA at HOME be sacked?
Anyone that defends this coward is either a 'football-dumbo' or a CROOK!
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

zee wrote:The great Amodu qualified us twice and both times...UNDEFEATED and still got sacked after winning bronze, so why won't a coward that lost to SA at HOME be sacked?
I don't think I'll ever get over Amodu never leading our team to the World Cup. It was our biggest loss of a generation. He was Nigeria's best coach ever, save for maybe Troussier.

I just can't help but wonder what Nigeria would have achieved in 2002 and 2010 if not for our small-minded white-inferiority-complex NFF.

Amodu is the blueprint, we need to hand it over to Nigerian coaches. I appreciate the input of Troussier and Rohr, but we need to look to the future. WE need a blueprint for development and that can only be done if we go local.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

No conflict about this.

This is not how we want our team to play. We had plenty of games where we were clueless offensively. Games leading to the World Cup, first game against Croatia, both first halves against Iceland and Argentina. Even in qualifiers, we were extremely lucky against a wasteful Algeria.

Retain him if you think an old dog will learn new tricks. Remember, there's at least 6-8 Good African sides that didn't qualify for the World Cup. Do you think he can honestly do it again?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

marutimon wrote:
zee wrote:The great Amodu qualified us twice and both times...UNDEFEATED and still got sacked after winning bronze, so why won't a coward that lost to SA at HOME be sacked?
I don't think I'll ever get over Amodu never leading our team to the World Cup. It was our biggest loss of a generation. He was Nigeria's best coach ever, save for maybe Troussier.

I just can't help but wonder what Nigeria would have achieved in 2002 and 2010 if not for our small-minded white-inferiority-complex NFF.

Amodu is the blueprint, we need to hand it over to Nigerian coaches. I appreciate the input of Troussier and Rohr, but we need to look to the future. WE need a blueprint for development and that can only be done if we go local.
On point. Ya own go better!
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote: . Do you think he can honestly do it again?
Yes I do.

I think he will qualify this team easily for the worldcup.

Rohr is actually suited for the African game because what he brings to the table is to make our team more "European"

and when you play like this within Africa you will easily beat out all competitors. Any half decent organized team will do well within Africa, because in Africa the teams are so unorganized. Again this is why Egypt won 3 straight ANC's.

The problem for Rohr is on "THE WORLD STAGE" when he tries these "European" tactics against European and South American teams, that is where we will suffer.

So the question is do you want to remain a big fish in a little pond or do you want to go into the ocean and make waves.
Sampo
Egg
Egg

Post by Sampo »

If we are truly forward-thinking, we should have a pool of local coaches to take care of the future.
Gernot Rohr is 64 and, being in his twilight, can only rake in his windfall from his African adventures.
Pension guaranteed for him. What is guaranteed for our football, with his style?

Exits at the WC group stage and round of sixteen normally mean back to the drawing board for most of the countries. So, nothing is unique to us here as we will have many illustrious footballing nations doing this same, serious soul-searching and re-strategising. For sure, Germany and Argentina currently face this reality too.

We should be planning long-term. I am wondering and I am not sure if Rohr is for this long term on account of what we have seen.
S a m p o
Fly, Eagles! Fly!!!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Sampo wrote:If we are truly forward-thinking, we should have a pool of local coaches to take care of the future.
Gernot Rohr is 64 and, being in his twilight, can only rake in his windfall from his African adventures.
Pension guaranteed for him. What is guaranteed for our football, with his style?

Exits at the WC group stage and round of sixteen normally mean back to the drawing board for most of the countries. So, nothing is unique to us here as we will have many illustrious footballing nations doing this same, serious soul-searching and re-strategising. For sure, Germany and Argentina currently face this reality too.

We should be planning long-term. I am wondering and I am not sure if Rohr is for this long term on account of what we have seen.

We saw how clueless Rohr was during games, and some delusional folks are still advocating for Rohr to continue. Rohr has nothing to offer but to continue to use the excuse that the SE players are not good enough. South Korea beat Germany so we do agree that Rohr is clueless. All he had to do was change the formation against Croatia and in the last 10 minutes against Argentina and the SE would have made the second round to play Denmark. Rohr's illogical selection policy and inability to decipher talent is another story for another day. Ebuehi should be the first name in the SE at this WC, but Rohr kept making excuses for shehu, when it was obvious that shehu was not playing his best position. Fire Rohr abeg, even Keshi took the SE to the second round and he got fired. Now y'all want to protect this old azz onyinbo, nonsense
Last edited by 9jaMan on Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

vancity eagle wrote:
Yes I do.

Rohr is actually suited for the African game because what he brings to the table is to make our team more "European"

and when you play like this within Africa you will easily beat out all competitors. Any half decent organized team will do well within Africa, because in Africa the teams are so unorganized. Again this is why Egypt won 3 straight ANC's.

The problem for Rohr is on "THE WORLD STAGE" when he tries these "European" tactics against European and South American teams, that is where we will suffer.

So the question is do you want to remain a big fish in a little pond or do you want to go into the ocean and make waves.

by the way the solution is not a complete abandonment of the organization and defensive solidity Rohr has worked on and built

What is needed is a synthesis of this with attacking soccer.

Rohr abandons the attack for the stability and compactness. Again this is great within Africa.

We need a balance of attack and defence, and we need to not be over reliant on counter attacking, but also when we counter attack, we need to perfect it to deadly efficiency, and not the garbage that Etebo was guilty of.

I have no idea why Rohr did not drill it into the head of Etebo and others to pass the ball quickly up the field to kill teams on the counter instead of dribbling and shooting to kill birds.

That is why I call African soccer, "dumb soccer'. We have been doing this for ages.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

vancity eagle wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Yes I do.

by the way the solution is not a complete abandonment of the organization and defensive solidity Rohr has worked on and built

Rohr abandons the attack for the stability and compactness. Again this is great within Africa.

We need a balance of attack and defence, and we need to not be over reliant on counter attacking, but also when we counter attack, we need to perfect it to deadly efficiency, and not the garbage that Etebo was guilty of.

I have no idea why Rohr did not drill it into the head of Etebo and others to pass the ball quickly up the field to kill teams on the counter instead of dribbling and shooting to kill birds.

That is why I call African soccer, "dumb soccer'. We have been doing this for ages.
People still claim Etebo did great. But he killed off Nigeria's attacking decisiveness together with Ighalo. The brains of Iwobi, Mikel, Iheanacho and yes... Simon (who is more purposeful than most give him credit) were responsible for Nigeria's success. Not Etebo running through crowds of defenders and shooting on sight.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

marutimon wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Yes I do.

People still claim Etebo did great. But he killed off Nigeria's attacking decisiveness together with Ighalo. The brains of Iwobi, Mikel, Iheanacho and yes... Simon (who is more purposeful than most give him credit) were responsible for Nigeria's success. Not Etebo running through crowds of defenders and shooting on sight.

Etebo is still a useful player, but a quality coach will give him hell and make sure he understands to play for the team. The same needed to be done to Victor Moses.