Saudi Arabia move might boost Musa's Super Eagles hopes

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Saudi Arabia move might boost Musa's Super Eagles hopes

Post by 1naija »

Ahmed Musa's Super Eagles hopes - Rohr

1:13 PM CT

Colin Udoh
Football Editor, KweséESPN
http://www.espn.com/soccer/nigeria/stor ... -says-rohr

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr believes that Ahmed Musa's move to Al-Nassr FC this week could boost his Super Eagles contribution.

The 25-year-old ended his underwhelming two-year stay with Leicester City on Friday, when he signed deal with the Saudi Arabian side.

Despite moving away from European football, and one of the world's major leagues, Super Eagles boss Rohr is confident that Musa's move could help Nigeria.

"I am very happy for Musa," Rohr told KweséESPN. "It's good for him to go to a club where he is playing than to a club where he is not playing.

"The assistant coach at Leicester [Jacky Bonnevay] is someone I know, and he is sad that Musa has to go," the German coach continued. "He saw him training and he was very happy."

"I do not say that [Musa's international career will be jeopardised by his move to Saudi Arabia]," Rohr concluded.

"He is an important player for us, and he is going to a club where he plays, that's important.

Ahmed Musa is a real threat in front of goal... but don't ask him to cross the ball from the wing. Ryan Pierse - FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

"It's better for us that he plays all the time than he stays on the bench."

Musa managed just 21 Premier League appearances - of which seven were starts - after moving to Leicester from CSKA Moscow in 2016.

He scored twice after struggling to force his way into either Claudio Ranieri or Craig Shakespeare's plans.

He didn't feature for the Foxes last term after being deemed surplus to requirements by Claude Puel, and was sent back on loan to CSKA.

His fortunes improved back in Russia, and he netted six times in 10 Russian Premier League outings in order to secure a spot in Nigeria's World Cup squad.

Memorably, the fleet-footed forward netted twice after the Super Eagles downed Iceland 2-0 in their second group game.

Before joining CSKA in 2012, Musa was the NPFL's then-highest scorer after netting 18 times with Kano Pillars in the 2009-19 season when just 17.

He subsequently secured a move to VVV-Venlo in the Netherlands.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Saudi Arabia move might boost Musa's Super Eagles hopes

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Oliseh was right all along, Musa is the next SE capt..
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

"I do not say that [Musa's international career will be jeopardised by his move to Saudi Arabia]," Rohr concluded.

"He is an important player for us, and he is going to a club where he plays, that's important.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

chei some people on dis site wont like to read dis one oh.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

This Rohr guy is scamming Nigeria.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

To me, as long as Musa is in form with Al Nasr he deserves a call up and it should be a no brainer. Many guys on this site are fixated on the past and do not realize that football and leagues are dynamic and changing all the times. This is if you are really concerned about where a guy is playing, which to me means very little. But if you are concerned, then not only would you not have been surprised about Iran's performance at the World Cup considering how they have done in Asia in recent times but you will realize that Al Nasr was a former Asian Champion. As I mentioned earlier, several top players who play in the national teams of other countries are actually playing in the Saudi league. If you had no problems with the call up of Uzoho in the Spanish 3rd division, call up of Shehu when he was in Cyprus, then you should have no problems with Rohr calling up Musa from Al Nasr except of course your mind is still fixated on Saudi Arabia of decades ago without realizing that changes do happen. Just my tuppence.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Assuming someone like Victor Moses, Ndidi or even Kelechi Ihenacho has made this move could he have received all these accolade . I recalled when Imo moved to Middle east club from Anderlecht he was acerbically castigated in this forum . He was called different names. Surely he never regained his career after that only pecuniary motivated move. Honestly with Rohr's utterance I feel something is fishy with him .
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Many players have played in backwater leagues and still shown their worth at the WC - the biggest stage national team players can feature at. Musa is one of them. As long as a player has class he should play for Nigeria. I know many might doubt his quality even now but I strongly believe Musa is very relevant for the SE. He knows how to perform well on the biggest stage. That are the players that are needed.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

...SE are not serious, any player in the ME/China leagues should be blocked from the NT
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

bully12 wrote:Assuming someone like Victor Moses, Ndidi or even Kelechi Ihenacho has made this move could he have received all these accolade . I recalled when Imo moved to Middle east club from Anderlecht he was acerbically castigated in this forum . He was called different names. Surely he never regained his career after that only pecuniary motivated move. Honestly with Rohr's utterance I feel something is fishy with him .
Why always think complicated? None of the above names is about to make such a move. That thought is just speculative. Imoh Ezekiel is a talented player but has never established himself. Ahmed Musa is an established SE player who has done well for our country. Therefore he has every right to get the chance to reclaim his place if he still performs well for club and country
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Definitely I'm not saddened for the move I sincerely think he has reached his plateau hence he is not going to improve further.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:To me, as long as Musa is in form with Al Nasr he deserves a call up and it should be a no brainer. Many guys on this site are fixated on the past and do not realize that football and leagues are dynamic and changing all the times. This is if you are really concerned about where a guy is playing, which to me means very little. But if you are concerned, then not only would you not have been surprised about Iran's performance at the World Cup considering how they have done in Asia in recent times but you will realize that Al Nasr was a former Asian Champion. As I mentioned earlier, several top players who play in the national teams of other countries are actually playing in the Saudi league. If you had no problems with the call up of Uzoho in the Spanish 3rd division, call up of Shehu when he was in Cyprus, then you should have no problems with Rohr calling up Musa from Al Nasr except of course your mind is still fixated on Saudi Arabia of decades ago without realizing that changes do happen. Just my tuppence.

EII, level of competition matters. If we are trying to win the Nations cup, then it's no big deal playing player from Saudi Arabia league where there is little competition. If your goal is to beat a team filled with Barcelona, Real Madrid, Man U, Bayern, Inter Milan players etc, then you are putting Nigeria at a disadvantage by fielding players from weak leagues. Sure, they can perform extraordinary in one game to look competitive, but they can't maintain such performance game in game out and win. Sooner or later they will crack. It's like the 2014 WC when Enyeama had those spectacular saves against Messi. Eventually he cracked because nobody can keep up such performance under constant pressure.

I disagree with Rohr on this.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Rubbish, Musa has no business in the SE playing in Saudi.. Axel Witsel just moved to Dortmund from China..but Nigerian players and the hunger for Money choose to play in China and Saudi..rubbish. missed 3 Afcons out of 4..failed to get out of the world cup group...3 wins from 11 in 2018..lost to SA at home..smh..
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Rubbish, Musa has no business in the SE playing in Saudi.. Axel Witsel just moved to Dortmund from China..but Nigerian players and the hunger for Money choose to play in China and Saudi..rubbish. missed 3 Afcons out of 4..failed to get out of the world cup group...3 wins from 11 in 2018..lost to SA at home..smh..
You're right, Musa should go to Dortmund or Barca so he can play at the next World Cup for SE. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

A mediocre coach speaks...
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Football is work.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Rubbish, Musa has no business in the SE playing in Saudi.. Axel Witsel just moved to Dortmund from China..but Nigerian players and the hunger for Money choose to play in China and Saudi..rubbish. missed 3 Afcons out of 4..failed to get out of the world cup group...3 wins from 11 in 2018..lost to SA at home..smh..
You don't feed them nor their families, so you don't have a say.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

bully12 wrote:Assuming someone like Victor Moses, Ndidi or even Kelechi Ihenacho has made this move could he have received all these accolade . I recalled when Imo moved to Middle east club from Anderlecht he was acerbically castigated in this forum . He was called different names. Surely he never regained his career after that only pecuniary motivated move. Honestly with Rohr's utterance I feel something is fishy with him .
You need a very good psychologist. Even then they would only be able to help adjust your tribal mindset to a semi functional one.
Kneedeep
Egg
Egg

Post by Kneedeep »

Enugu II wrote:To me, as long as Musa is in form with Al Nasr he deserves a call up and it should be a no brainer. Many guys on this site are fixated on the past and do not realize that football and leagues are dynamic and changing all the times. This is if you are really concerned about where a guy is playing, which to me means very little. But if you are concerned, then not only would you not have been surprised about Iran's performance at the World Cup considering how they have done in Asia in recent times but you will realize that Al Nasr was a former Asian Champion. As I mentioned earlier, several top players who play in the national teams of other countries are actually playing in the Saudi league. If you had no problems with the call up of Uzoho in the Spanish 3rd division, call up of Shehu when he was in Cyprus, then you should have no problems with Rohr calling up Musa from Al Nasr except of course your mind is still fixated on Saudi Arabia of decades ago without realizing that changes do happen. Just my tuppence.
Prof., I must say you're making this debate interesting......
Advocating rational thought since 1987
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

There's being in form and there's being in form. Someone being in form in Saudi Arabia is the equivalent of someone having a below average game in the Belgium league. And that should be taken into consideration. But Rohr seems determined to play his part in lowering standards so...

My thinking of the Saudi Arabian league isn't fixed on its quality of decades past; it's based on it being a junk league as of today.

Btw, Uzoho was called up after playing for the Depor first team.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Stand for something or fall for anything, if it smells like fish, it's fish. Rohr is fraud.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

ugly boy wrote:
You need a very good psychologist. Even then they would only be able to help adjust your tribal mindset to a semi functional one.
Believe you me I wanted to resist responding to your diabolical comments. I always imagine you as lucifer himself or herself who reincarnated. There is no iota of doubt in my mind you are from this plain with lucifer. I hate to say it I have a profound revulsion for your personality . Simpleton of the century. Go back to where you belong the deepest part of bottomless pit.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
You're right, Musa should go to Dortmund or Barca so he can play at the next World Cup for SE. :roll:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Calm down oga bully. This is just a game and it hasn’t transcended football. Calling someone lucifer for footballing reasons isn’t pleasurable and honestly mods needs to reevaluate “derogatory insults” at this site.