Arsenal is a one-off club with a one-off manager

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

By Myles Palmer

SUMMER should be a time of reflection for football fans.

A welcome holiday from an all-consuming game.

Last summer wasn't for me, since I wrote 32 pieces here about Euro 2004.

Only a nutcase would write 32 pieces in 22 days about Wayne Rooney, Big Phil Scolari, Sven.

But this summer I'm chilling - reading fiction and reflecting on the season.

SO FAR I've reached two conclusions.

Arsenal is a one-off club.

And Arsene Wenger is a one-off manager.

No other football club could have borrowed £260 million to build the best new stadium in the world in the middle of a huge capital city, or in any city.

No other club has the stability to do that.

And no other manager could have kept his team first or second for eight years in a row.

Three titles, four FA Cups, including two doubles.

Achieved on a fraction of Manchester United's budget.

You can only conclude that Arsenal FC is not like other football clubs.

Of course, the entire Ashburton Grove stadium concept depended on Arsene Wenger staying at AFC and keeping the club successful.

Without that, banks will not lend you £260 million.

Even with AW on board, it took four years to get six banks to lend that £260 million.

The legal/financial/administrative difficulties were colossal.

And it took the combined talents of Danny Fiszman, Ken Friar, Keith Edelman, and many others, to push through a hugely daunting project that became...the Emirates Stadium.

IN ANY FOOTBALL SEASON, there will be loads of things you love and loads of things you hate.

Personally, I hated knowing in October that Arsenal would not win the European Cup, and I hated knowing in January that Chelsea would win the Premiership, and I hated knowing after ten minutes in the FA Cup Final that Arsenal could not score.

But I loved how well Fabregas played all season, I loved DB10 playing out of his skin for the first six weeks, I loved Robbie Pires playing for a new contract and scoring 17 goals, and I particularly loved Senderos coming back from a broken foot to become the finest young defender Arsenal has had since Tony Adams.

And I loved being right when I said that Robin van Persie was a young boy who did a few silly things, as we all do when we are young, but would come through and be a good player. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He needed to improve quickly, and he did.

VAN PERSIE scored 10 goals.

For me, that's a good start.

Van Persie had never taken a penalty in his professional career but when Edu said he didn't want that penalty in the shoot-out in Cardiff, RVP said, "I'll take it."

And rocking Robin banged it in as well as Shearer would have done.

He has bottle.

If memory serves, Ince and Anderton took their boots off and sat down in the centre circle when we had a shoot-out against Germany in Euro 96.

Van Persie is a sculptor's son who has a bit more personality than your average player.

In the long term, I count that an advantage.

He had a wild streak as a teenager, but he got married and they've found a house now and he's enjoying his football and enjoying his life. :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

He has said, "I have lived in heaven since I came to London. As a player I'm better and as a human being I'm better. I'm not the Van Persie from Feyenoord anymore. I come to the training ground every day with a smile on my face and a fantastic feeling. "I think to myself: ‘Here's another day when I will improve as a footballer'."

He likes Wenger, who can improve young footballers, whatever their personalities.

And, let's face it, the personalities of young footballers vary a lot.

On Wenger, Van Persie said: "He is the best, most professional coach I have ever worked with. The way he talks is so impressive.

"He's always saying to me that one year as a footballer is the same as eight years in the life of a normal person. And I agree with that. He's a very wise person and I respect him very much."
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Please do something in Europe then we will listen.
khalela
Egg
Egg

Post by khalela »

The rest of the world has no problems with your policy to your game.To each his own.JUST translate it to European glory,which is the common denominator in Europe.Whether you are a big spender like Real and Utd,or a conservative like Porto,or you are a one man club,no one really cares how you go about it.History and time only records winners.Bottomline is that you remain a Local Champion till you conquer Europe.Same way Utd were regarded as local champions until they did their treble,same way Chelski remain local champion,same way Barca remains Local Champions etc.

Get it?
It was that the pasillo was followed by a paseo - a walk in the park. That Madrid ran out 4-1 winners and lead Barcelona by 17 points, that Barcelona can no longer get second place and could only watch as Ruud van Nistelrooy and Higuaín scored with their first touches, as Mahamadou Diarra ran rings around their midfield and as the Bernabéu roared "¡olé!" That Joan Laporta listened to fans - Madrid fans - chanting: "Laporta please stay!"

Sid Lowe,2008
jojo
Egg
Egg

Post by jojo »

yes seems van persie is a totally top lad nowadays!
would that mean the first 3 titles and cups (playing attacking footbal of course) or just a period that suits an agenda?

What is true though is i dont know of a manager that could have kept his team 1st or 2nd for 8 years while doing nothing in europe.

btw to me it always seems so contradictory to hear figures mentioned and how little arsenal have spent compared yet to hear so many times that vieira is the greatest midfielder around, henry the bestest player ever and sol the best defender and until recently ashley "upstanding professional" cole best lb around. You should win with the players, right, not the amount they were signed for?

But wenger is a great manager and i personally have never understood to declare somone the best or the greatest at that time if it wasnt painfully obvious. But it is clear that he has to win something in europe or with a national team
Last edited by jojo on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Waffiman, please don't disturb us when we're trying to focus on the under 21 WC... sometimes you really need to be lashed complete 21 strokes with a really live Ox tail koboko to be snapped back into reality... na wa for you :D
La Reussi
Egg
Egg

Post by La Reussi »

green4life wrote:Waffiman, please don't disturb us when we're trying to focus on the under 21 WC... sometimes you really need to be lashed complete 21 strokes with a really live Ox tail koboko to be snapped back into reality... na wa for you :D

Nna, na wa for you o! :D :D :D :D :D

Wenger has done well for Arsenal though.

His crowning glory will be when the European cup lands at the Emirate stadium.

And it surely will.

La Reussi
In all things and every situation, give thanks to God.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Arsenal is a one-off club with a one-off manager

Post by felarey »

What a load of bull......copyright Waffiman :P
Waffiman wrote:Arsenal is a one-off club with a one-off manager
By Myles Palmer

SUMMER should be a time of reflection for football fans.

A welcome holiday from an all-consuming game.

Last summer wasn't for me, since I wrote 32 pieces here about Euro 2004.

Only a nutcase would write 32 pieces in 22 days about Wayne Rooney, Big Phil Scolari, Sven.

But this summer I'm chilling - reading fiction and reflecting on the season.

SO FAR I've reached two conclusions.

No other football club could have borrowed £260 million to build the best new stadium in the world in the middle of a huge capital city, or in any city.

And no other manager could have kept his team first or second for eight years in a row.

Of course, the entire Ashburton Grove stadium concept depended on Arsene Wenger staying at AFC and keeping the club successful.

Without that, banks will not lend you £260 million.

Even with AW on board, it took four years to get six banks to lend that £260 million.

The legal/financial/administrative difficulties were colossal.

And it took the combined talents of Danny Fiszman, Ken Friar, Keith Edelman, and many others, to push through a hugely daunting project that became...the Emirates Stadium.

IN ANY FOOTBALL SEASON, there will be loads of things you love and loads of things you hate.

Personally, I hated knowing in October that Arsenal would not win the European Cup, and I hated knowing in January that Chelsea would win the Premiership, and I hated knowing after ten minutes in the FA Cup Final that Arsenal could not score.

But I loved how well Fabregas played all season, I loved DB10 playing out of his skin for the first six weeks, I loved Robbie Pires playing for a new contract and scoring 17 goals, and I particularly loved Senderos coming back from a broken foot to become the finest young defender Arsenal has had since Tony Adams.

And I loved being right when I said that Robin van Persie was a young boy who did a few silly things, as we all do when we are young, but would come through and be a good player. :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He needed to improve quickly, and he did.

VAN PERSIE scored 10 goals.

For me, that's a good start.

Van Persie had never taken a penalty in his professional career but when Edu said he didn't want that penalty in the shoot-out in Cardiff, RVP said, "I'll take it."

And rocking Robin banged it in as well as Shearer would have done.

He has bottle.

If memory serves, Ince and Anderton took their boots off and sat down in the centre circle when we had a shoot-out against Germany in Euro 96.

Van Persie is a sculptor's son who has a bit more personality than your average player.

In the long term, I count that an advantage.

He had a wild streak as a teenager, but he got married and they've found a house now and he's enjoying his football and enjoying his life. :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

He has said, "I have lived in heaven since I came to London. As a player I'm better and as a human being I'm better. I'm not the Van Persie from Feyenoord anymore. I come to the training ground every day with a smile on my face and a fantastic feeling. "I think to myself: ‘Here's another day when I will improve as a footballer'."

He likes Wenger, who can improve young footballers, whatever their personalities.

And, let's face it, the personalities of young footballers vary a lot.

On Wenger, Van Persie said: "He is the best, most professional coach I have ever worked with. The way he talks is so impressive.

"He's always saying to me that one year as a footballer is the same as eight years in the life of a normal person. And I agree with that. He's a very wise person and I respect him very much."
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Arsenal is a one-off club with a one-off manager

Post by 27 »

Waffiman wrote:Arsenal is a one-off club with a one-off manager
A one-off European cup would be appropriate.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Let the Harers eat crow. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Waffiman wrote:Let the Harers eat crow. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually, a one-off European Cup semi final would also be acceptable.
Altobelli
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Altobelli »

This is not about hating! It's rather about Arsenal not perennially underachieving in the ECL!! :lol:
Waffiman wrote:Let the Harers eat crow. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bonita Applebum, say you gotta put me on........
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

Men-So Edu punked out of a Pk during the FA cup? Na wa oh. ANyways he nearly missed the PK against Newcastle in his last game probably didnt want to have Arsenal losing the FA cup on his resume.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Altobelli wrote:This is not about hating! It's rather about Arsenal not perennially underachieving in the ECL!! :lol:
No mind am. Wenger has been eating crow in Europe for the past 8 years while teams with lesser budgets have won or reached the ECL finals.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

27 wrote:
Actually, a one-off European Cup semi final would also be acceptable.
Now that's just cold. :lol:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Read that piece again chaps:

What is so buuriful about it is it is truths based on facts.

Harers can eat crow because we are The Arsenal and we are the best. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Not without some serious changes will we ever see Vieira's sweaty Senegalese fingerprints on that sterling silver trophy.

I think, for Europe especially, we could benefit from a change of personel and even formation. Our attacking football pummels all comers in the prem, give or take a few, but seems to fall at the finishing line in Europe. I think the problem is, on the continent, the approach of the opposition is different, which makes it harder to penetrate them, and when you have the likes of Freddie 'i cant believe he's not better' Ljunberg, and Dennis 'i've seen better years' Bergkamp, not to forget Bobby 'i dont give a fuk' Pires, and Jens 'Fawlty Towers' Lehmann, you dont need Jamie Oliver or Ainsley Harriett to know that thats a recipe for disaster.

I'm getting sick and tired of calling for Wright-Phillips and hearing Hleb in return, or tales of some Ivorian foetus Wenger's scouted doing kick-ups with his umbilical cord. We need some serious players, who can do it, and do it now, not when they get used to the weather, or once they've had a little moan, right here, right now!

I dont know what Arsene's planning for the summer, but if we insist on having the audacity to occupy our bench with truanting youths who should be sitting their GCSEs and slurping over ice-lollies in the school playground, then we deserve every bit of failure that comes our way. Dont get me wrong, and i dont want to sound contradictory, but i am one for youth, i do feel they need to be given a chance, but theres a time and place, and i dont think they should be the focus of our transfer policies.

We need some builders-bum showing, traffic causing, Guinnes swigging development...i'd go as far as calling destroying and rebuilding. This squad has gone as far as it can, its time for Arsene to take us into a new era, kind of like Doctor Who does every tuesday, or wednesday, or whatever day its on, but u get my drift. We need some bricks and cement, not the pebbles and stones we've been treated to in previous years!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Oh! The flats luxury flats being built at Highbury has been over subsribed. The club will pay off 100% of the stadium cost will proceeds from the sale of the new flats sold at Highbury. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 27 »

Coach,
Did you grow up in the UK?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Waffiman wrote:Oh! The flats luxury flats being built at Highbury has been over subsribed. The club will pay off 100% of the stadium cost will proceeds from the sale of the new flats sold at Highbury. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Yep and RVN will be living above the Lhighbary penalty spot when it's all done.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

The transfer budgets are important given the expectations & achievements of the top 3 clubs:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsart ... 04152779:1
FACTBOX-Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United transfer spending
Sun May 1, 2005 3:01 AM BST
First team Squad

Chelsea 131.7 189.3

Man United 105.2 135.7
Arsenal 42.2 64.6
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

tolahs wrote:The transfer budgets are important given the expectations & achievements of the top 3 clubs:
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsart ... 04152779:1
FACTBOX-Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United transfer spending
Sun May 1, 2005 3:01 AM BST
First team Squad

Chelsea 131.7 189.3

Man United 105.2 135.7
Arsenal 42.2 64.6

Tolahs don't bother with non-Gooners it's a waste of time bringing up facts and figures.

Only with Arsenal money is deamed irrelevent.

Instead of us getting credit for doing what everyone said could never be done and build the best stadium in Europe in the
heart of North London, we get ridiculed for not winning the CL.

Thank God the likes of Dein, Fiszmen, Eldelman and Wenger are in charge as fans and foes alike would have rather won one CL and end up like Leeds or at best Dortmund and scarp AG which will insure Arsenal goes on to bigger and better things both domesticly and in Europe.

True Gooners won't worry about morons calling us local champions as it just display's their ignorance with regards to football, again if many of the morons on this site ran clubs the'd be bankrupt in half a season.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

27 wrote:Coach,
Did you grow up in the UK?

out of curiosity, why?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet