Lagos high court issues bench warrant for JJ's arrest

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Lagos high court issues bench warrant for JJ's arrest

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Lagos high court issues bench warrant for the arrest of former Super Eagles skipper Jay Jay Okocha - See more at: https://goo.gl/jevSuK

O dear. This is not good news. Biko JJ, hire an accountant to sort out your taxes now, haba!

Nigeria needs tax to survive as a nation, so you need to pay your fair share. Maybe this is where the Nigerian football federation and ex players' union should come in. Having a team of tax experts who can advise and work with players and ex-players will help avoid these kind of problems.

For now, I suggest you appear in court, apologise, ask for bail and then go and sort the matter out. Your first step now is to get a tax lawyer!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Lagos high court issues bench warrant for JJ's arrest

Post by pajimoh »

1Naira in 5,4,3,2.......
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

pajimoh wrote:1Naira in 5,4,3,2.......
Yup. He still doesn’t have a job.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Senator WIRES »

He will need to move his business empire to the east..we don't. trust Lagos state govt again :lol:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Senator WIRES wrote:He will need to move his business empire to the east..we don't. trust Lagos state govt again :lol:
He should pay taxes now, haba...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

I hope they go easy on him.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Pay taxes in Nigeria to whom?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I can understand having a mix up with tax payment, especially for businessmen....but not responding to court summons...? Haba Jay Jay
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

he is not guilty
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:Pay taxes in Nigeria to whom?
Should I give you the address to send yours? :taunt:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

I will wait to hear more. In my experience LIRS is not to be trusted.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I was going to laugh at your comment, but hwnthe honest truth is that most Nigerians think like you. We are very badly informed about taxes in Nigeria.

1. Most Nigerians do not know that for every single thing you purchase in Nigeria, even something as small as biscuit, gala or sweet (candy), he races have been pre-added to the overall cost of the product. Unlike the U.S, where you pay taxes at the cashier, after purchasing the product.

2. As much as Nigerians try to evade corporate taxes, the legislature are quite good in in upgrading tax laws to counter-act that. I experienced his last year.

3 finally, Nigeria has one of the most stringent, highest (actually) and strongly applied corporate/employee tax systems in Africa (perhaps the world). This one came as a shack to me, and I only got to know when we opened our Lagos office 2 years ago. You can do all you like, but you can’t evade it! And they tax you heavily! It’s no joke.

4 foreign goods. I don’t do shipping and I am not one of those naija people who “send cars home,” lol. But I have heard that the tariffs on foreign goods are very high and they crack down on you heavily, if you try to evade it— and I am not referring to bribes at point of entry, I am referring to real regulatory tariffs.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

nah wah oo AFCON is around the corner, that hustler ayokinfe is back...hmmmmm
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Bigpokey24 wrote:nah wah oo AFCON is around the corner, that hustler ayokinfe is back...hmmmmm
:laugh:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

maceo4 wrote:
Should I give you the address to send yours? :taunt:
:rotf: I will gladly send my Monopoly money!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

danfo driver wrote:
I was going to laugh at your comment, but hwnthe honest truth is that most Nigerians think like you. We are very badly informed about taxes in Nigeria.

1. Most Nigerians do not know that for every single thing you purchase in Nigeria, even something as small as biscuit, gala or sweet (candy), he races have been pre-added to the overall cost of the product. Unlike the U.S, where you pay taxes at the cashier, after purchasing the product.

2. As much as Nigerians try to evade corporate taxes, the legislature are quite good in in upgrading tax laws to counter-act that. I experienced his last year.

3 finally, Nigeria has one of the most stringent, highest (actually) and strongly applied corporate/employee tax systems in Africa (perhaps the world). This one came as a shack to me, and I only got to know when we opened our Lagos office 2 years ago. You can do all you like, but you can’t evade it! And they tax you heavily! It’s no joke.

4 foreign goods. I don’t do shipping and I am not one of those naija people who “send cars home,” lol. But I have heard that the tariffs on foreign goods are very high and they crack down on you heavily, if you try to evade it— and I am not referring to bribes at point of entry, I am referring to real regulatory tariffs.
Please don’t stone me but I’ve never lived in Nigeria and wasn’t even born there although I’m of Nigerian heritage,I can’t imagine paying tax will help anybody apart from the recipient in Nigeria!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

aruako1 wrote:I will wait to hear more. In my experience LIRS is not to be trusted.
Aruako1, why should they not be trusted? Have they messed with you before? How did it end?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Bigpokey24 wrote:nah wah oo AFCON is around the corner, that hustler ayokinfe is back...hmmmmm
Mmm? Na Bigpokey24 rite (write) dis tin? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Please don’t stone me but I’ve never lived in Nigeria and wasn’t even born there although I’m of Nigerian heritage,I can’t imagine paying tax will help anybody apart from the recipient in Nigeria!
The recipient is the federal, state and local tax authorities. In essense, the government. The money is used, as in any other countries, for (1) infrastructure, (2) maintenance, (3) defense and other military spending, (4) health, education and other social programs, and several others. How do you think Nigeria pays for these things? Through crude oil?

Yes, many of these things are underfunded because of corruption, etc etc.. but its not as bad as many people think.

Truth is, you are not alone, bro. Many people, including Nigerians, have serious misconceptions about Nigeria.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

danfo driver wrote:

Not too sure about these comments. At the macro level, Nigeria has one of the lowest tax to GDP ratio in the world at 5.85% (Ghana is at 15%, South Africa is at 24%). The data lends credence to the thinking that Nigeria's tax system is very weak, not progressive. there's a reason why people can own 10 -15 private homes across Nigeria, payed in full and not go bankrupt because the tax obligation as an ongoing cost doesn't exists. A progressive tax system in a way punishes stolen or sudden wealth that is not managed well. You will not be able to loot and buy a ton of property because once the loot is gone, you'll have no money for the tax liability.

Anyways, Lagos has the highest internally generated revenue of any state in Nigeria (more than that of 30 states put together) and it is only state (along with Ogun) that as at 2017 generated more revenue that what they got from federal allocation. I can see how businesses in Lagos may be feeling relatively "squeezed". key word is "relative". The tax system is still weak, still unstructured (meaning very few can be unfairly taxed relative to others around) so perhaps this is where and why some people may have issues paying in Lagos...the uneven rules/application which speaks more to where we are per our tax system. Out of 180million people, less than 250 Nigerians pay taxes that exceed 20milliion naira. "250". I am a big Jay jay fan, and respect the services and sacrifice he and others made in serving but unless one of the benefits of winning ANC or WC is tax free life, they should pay taxes at home. The UK, Turkey and Germany definitely taxed him to continue to develop their countries

Anyone outside Lagos or Ogun should not even...
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I hope you're not implying that people in Nigeria shouldn't pay taxes because you believe the money is going into private pockets.

The most important thing in life is to do the right thing in any given situation. We obviously need taxes in Nigeria to build any a kind modern day functioning society, just as we're doing in the countries we live abroad. My philosophy is, play your part and don't worry about things that are outside your control. If you think your taxes are not being utilised properly then you could use whatever avenue is available to you to voice your complaints (if you have the time and resources).
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

How much is involved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

icee wrote:

Not too sure about these comments. At the macro level, Nigeria has one of the lowest tax to GDP ratio in the world at 5.85% (Ghana is at 15%, South Africa is at 24%). The data lends credence to the thinking that Nigeria's tax system is very weak, not progressive. there's a reason why people can own 10 -15 private homes across Nigeria, payed in full and not go bankrupt because the tax obligation as an ongoing cost doesn't exists. A progressive tax system in a way punishes stolen or sudden wealth that is not managed well. You will not be able to loot and buy a ton of property because once the loot is gone, you'll have no money for the tax liability.
1. How many Nigerians do you know own 10-15 private homes? :lol: P.s-- Most Nigerians of adult age are tenants and not landlords.

2. In America, you call it property taxes. In Nigeria, you call it ground rent. You must pay this to the local government, every year, or else, they will put a lien on your property and if it accumulates, the government will seize your property, as payment. Then in addition to ground rent, there is something people call "maintenance fee in America. This is usually enforced in your local estate or sometimes, by the local government, where the government picks up trash and recycle. In Nigeria, i can't remember the official name, but one of my agents calls is "garbage fee. You pay this to the local government yearly and they pick up your garbage. if you dont, it will continue to increase and again, they put a lien on your property.
Anyways, Lagos has the highest internally generated revenue of any state in Nigeria (more than that of 30 states put together) and it is only state (along with Ogun) that as at 2017 generated more revenue that what they got from federal allocation. I can see how businesses in Lagos may be feeling relatively "squeezed". key word is "relative". The tax system is still weak, still unstructured (meaning very few can be unfairly taxed relative to others around) so perhaps this is where and why some people may have issues paying in Lagos...the uneven rules/application which speaks more to where we are per our tax system. Out of 180million people, less than 250 Nigerians pay taxes that exceed 20milliion naira. "250". I am a big Jay jay fan, and respect the services and sacrifice he and others made in serving but unless one of the benefits of winning ANC or WC is tax free life, they should pay taxes at home. The UK, Turkey and Germany definitely taxed him to continue to develop their countries

Anyone outside Lagos or Ogun should not even...

Could you provide the numbers to back this up. I know of start-up companies, who have only been in business for less than 2 years that pay more than that per year. Common pay-roll taxes are 10% of the employee's income. So, if you have 10 employees who make 12 million per year (1 million per month), thats already 12 million in taxes.

Anyway, this is a football forum... make we leave finance aside. I have my experience, it seems you have yours. Its okay for us to continue to experience life and Nigeria the way we have.