SE should revert to 3-5-2

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mojojojo
Egg
Egg
SE should revert to 3-5-2

Post by mojojojo »

[1] Madagascar studied us well and put pressure on our defense. Both goals were scored when we made back passes. Our defenders and goalkeepers are not comfotable on the ball. We conceded free a kick in the second after losing possession. Balogun is not comfortable on the ball. Both Ezenwa and Akpeyi are also not comfortable.

[2] Our natural fullbacks are not available. Because of this the attack relies heavily on the wingers. Aina is trying but being right footed he does not provide any width on the left and tends to cut in. Awaziem is a center back and does not offer much going forward.

[3] We have not creativity in central midfield and Ogu is as much to blame for that goal as Balogun.

[4] We need to revert to 3-5-2. It is the most effective formation given the kind of players we have in the tournament. It was also more effective at the world cup.

[5] We are struggling to score goals and need to commit more men forward.

If Collins comes back we can play,

Akpeyi

Awaziem Emeruo Ekong
Moses/Kalu Ndidi Etebo Collins/Aina
Iwobi

Onyekuru/Musa/Osihmen Ighalo
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE should revert to 3-5-2

Post by ANC »

the team that was apparent was that the team could not pass their way of the back. This is where Mike is needed
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Yes the 3-5-2 allows a better midfield-attack transition but you need to also maintain a high press as for example what England did to us in the friendly. Then you will get lots of opportunities to score. But I wouldnt play Aina as the wide player. I would play a natural winger like Chukwueze and play Aina as one of the Central Backs (he is very good at cutting out attacks). I would play Kalu on the other side because he is faster than Moses Simon. Another option might even be to swap Musa and Chukwueze and see what Chukwueze can do dribbling wise in that space as a striker.

OPTION A:

------------- Omeruo ----- Ekong ------- Aina -------

---------------- Ndidi ------------ Etebo ----------------

--- Kalu ------------ Iwobi ------------ Chuwkueze -----

---------------- Ighalo ---------- Musa ------------------

OPTION B:

--- Kalu ------------ Iwobi ------------ Musa -----------

---------------- Ighalo ---------- Chukwueze -----------
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Mikel plays but out of the back. As bad as Mikel was, he actually game SE some shape upfront
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

Same personnel?

Look, putting Ogogoro in a Hennesy bottle does not improve the quality
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Rawlings wrote:Same personnel?

:thumbs:
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Ighalo has to go
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

We don't have the personnel (mainly the wing-backs) to play 3-5-2. We had Ebuehi and Moses but not anymore. How quickly have we forgotten that Aina is poor when playing in 3-5-2 system? Same for Idowu who is not here. I am not sure about Collins.

It was obvious from the world cup that we didn't have the right attacking mix. And it has gotten worse with Victor Moses retiring and the decline in form of Mikel, Ighalo and Simon Moses. And sadly, Iwobi has not improved in his creative midfield role.

We might have a chance against Ghana or Cameroon but Egypt will be a tall order for these boys. We need a new coach and a rebuild upfront - wide midfielders, creative CM, strikers. Unfortunately, we only have one potentially great player in Chukwueze. The other young and upcoming players like Kalu, Simon, Onyekuru, Onuachu are very average players compared to what is needed to win tournaments. And going by the recent eyesore and failure of the U20 at the WC, the younger ones are even worse.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

So pretty much Nigeria football is doomed
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

But it may improve potency! :P

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Chei! I go die-oo!
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

ANC wrote:the team that was apparent was that the team could not pass their way of the back. This is where Mike is needed
Have you seen the 2019 ANC version of Mikel?? Um the man has no business on the field.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

kali wrote:Yes the 3-5-2 allows a better midfield-attack transition but you need to also maintain a high press as for example what England did to us in the friendly. Then you will get lots of opportunities to score. But I wouldnt play Aina as the wide player. I would play a natural winger like Chukwueze and play Aina as one of the Central Backs (he is very good at cutting out attacks). I would play Kalu on the other side because he is faster than Moses Simon. Another option might even be to swap Musa and Chukwueze and see what Chukwueze can do dribbling wise in that space as a striker.

OPTION A:

--- Kalu ------------ Iwobi ------------ Chuwkueze -----

---------------- Ighalo ---------- Musa ------------------

OPTION B:

--- Kalu ------------ Iwobi ------------ Musa -----------

---------------- Ighalo ---------- Chukwueze -----------
I will replace Kalu with Moses Simon but I like both of your line-ups. The coach has to shake something up. The current formation is not creating any chances at all.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

If you understand football, you will know that 352 is not a viable option for the personnel on hand. Our best bet is 433. Also, Aina should be swaped over to his natural RB position to provide width and stretch the defense on the right. If Colins isn't fit, we will manage any solid defender at left back.

Iwobi has done F-All in 3 games with zero output. He can do better and needs to pull up his big boy pants and show the fcuuk up as he's the missing link to complement Ndidi and Etebo in the middle.

As the wingers go, for me they're all on the same or similar levels. Pick any 2 and we will manage them. When they get tired or prove ineffective, replace with fresh legs in a timely manner.

Striker upfront: we have to manage Ighalo. He's far from the best but other options have one K-leg or another so he edges them based on experience.

2 CBs are Kenneth & Balogun with Akpeyi back in goal for better or worse.

This is the reality of our situation. The good thing from losing 0-2 to mighty Madagascar is I have adjusted my expectation to face the reality of our situation which ranges anywhere from crashing out in the second round to potentially wining the ANC. Anything can happen but the likelihood of the best case deal happening is not looking firm at this moment.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

green4life wrote:If you understand football, you will know that 352 is not a viable option for the personnel on hand. Our best bet is 433. Also, Aina should be swaped over to his natural RB position to provide width and stretch the defense on the right. If Colins isn't fit, we will manage any solid defender at left back.

Iwobi has done F-All in 3 games with zero output. He can do better and needs to pull up his big boy pants and show the fcuuk up as he's the missing link to complement Ndidi and Etebo in the middle.

As the wingers go, for me they're all on the same or similar levels. Pick any 2 and we will manage them. When they get tired or prove ineffective, replace with fresh legs in a timely manner.

Striker upfront: we have to manage Ighalo. He's far from the best but other options have one K-leg or another so he edges them based on experience.

2 CBs are Kenneth & Balogun with Akpeyi back in goal for better or worse.

This is the reality of our situation. The good thing from losing 0-2 to mighty Madagascar is I have adjusted my expectation to face the reality of our situation which ranges anywhere from crashing out in the second round to potentially wining the ANC. Anything can happen but the likelihood of the best case deal happening is not looking firm at this moment.
KPOM! :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

Aina plays that role for his club at times. I’ve seen Kalu also play that role. We have the personnel, now left for Rorh to grow a pair.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

okidoki wrote:Aina plays that role for his club at times. I’ve seen Kalu also play that role. We have the personnel, now left for Rorh to grow a pair.
Nah. We don't need 352 which happens to be a defensive/ counter attacking set up that requires a lot of practice and discipline to execute. We can barely score as it is but folks want us to replace an attacking player with a 5th defender abi?

Our boys are high on mobility, energy and skill. This team should defend from the front either full field press or from the half way line once the opponent enters our half. The problem we are having on the attacking phase is ineffective/ inconsistent contribution from the full backs. The RB position is virtually non-existent when it comes to joining the attack (a la Azpilcueta @Chelsea): Awaziem hardly pushes up to overlap the attacking play and provide a wide option and it kills/ slows down attacks as we have to fill that void with a midfielder or force the pass through the congested middle - none of the options being ideal. Aina overlaps but cuts into his stronger right foot which negates the idea of stretching the width of the pitch so he too becomes easier to mark. Aina should switch to RB and find a suitable defender to play LB (half bread is better than none). If the 2 FBs fill those wide areas, our midfielders will have more space in the middle to work with. The answer isn't wing-backs. It's fullbacks in a 433.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Yes 3-5-2 is Nigerias best option. I recall Brazil switching to that formation in 2002 after playing all sorts of crazy formations to accommodate three forwards Rivaldo, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho and a leaky defence. They went with essentially a 5 man attack Roberto Carlos and Cafu on the wings and Ronaldinho playing attacking midfielder behind a twin attack of Ronaldo and Rivaldo. What made it work was Gilberto Silva and Kleberson who held forth in the middle and Lucio, Edmilson and Roque Jr who swept everything up at the back. Teams never exploited Brazils wings bc their wingers got back.

That imagination is what Nigeria needs. Kalu and Chukwueze wide and Iwobi in the center. Put Ighalo and Musa up top. Good things will happen. Both Kalu, Musa and Chukwueze have stamina and can get up and down the wings. Moses Simon not so.much as too is Aina.
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

green4life wrote:
okidoki wrote:Aina plays that role for his club at times. I’ve seen Kalu also play that role. We have the personnel, now left for Rorh to grow a pair.
Nah. We don't need 352 which happens to be a defensive/ counter attacking set up that requires a lot of practice and discipline to execute. We can barely score as it is but folks want us to replace an attacking player with a 5th defender abi?

Our boys are high on mobility, energy and skill. This team should defend from the front either full field press or from the half way line once the opponent enters our half. The problem we are having on the attacking phase is ineffective/ inconsistent contribution from the full backs. The RB position is virtually non-existent when it comes to joining the attack (a la Azpilcueta @Chelsea): Awaziem hardly pushes up to overlap the attacking play and provide a wide option and it kills/ slows down attacks as we have to fill that void with a midfielder or force the pass through the congested middle - none of the options being ideal. Aina overlaps but cuts into his stronger right foot which negates the idea of stretching the width of the pitch so he too becomes easier to mark. Aina should switch to RB and find a suitable defender to play LB (half bread is better than none). If the 2 FBs fill those wide areas, our midfielders will have more space in the middle to work with. The answer isn't wing-backs. It's fullbacks in a 433.
Nigeria do not have decent wing backs. Aina is not a great wing back. But it has solid central backs, DMs and good wingers. Playing 4 at the back is a waste. I say replace that with 3 and put 2 strikers up front. Worst that can happen? Players use Nigerian wings to.attack. But guess who is waiting in the box? 5 defenders.

In attack 5 will break down the most resolute defense and create more scoring chances.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I noticed everyone is dropping Balogun from his line up. Perhaps I should remind everyone that our best defensive performance so far in this tournament was the Guinea game when he paired with Omeruo. I would start with the back 4 of Awaziem, Omeruo, Balogun, and Aina. We don't have the quality to play only 3 defenders. That would be a recipe for disaster!
Last edited by 1naija on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

kali wrote:
green4life wrote:

Nigeria do not have decent wing backs. Aina is not a great wing back. But it has solid central backs, DMs and good wingers. Playing 4 at the back is a waste. I say replace that with 3 and put 2 strikers up front. Worst that can happen? Players use Nigerian wings to.attack. But guess who is waiting in the box? 5 defenders.

In attack 5 will break down the most resolute defense and create more scoring chances.
Your understanding is misplaced. 352 uses 5 defenders and not 3. The wing backs ARE defenders who should have the mobility to exploit the wide areas & return to defend. Moses excelled at it because he was trained for the role by Conte (who is a disciple of 352) and played it non-stop for 2 seasons at the highest level. Thinking that we can simply toss out chukwuezi, Kalu, Simon, etc to play wing-back is a recipe for disaster because they have to be on point with filling their gaps defensively and offensively plus understanding how to set the all important offside trap. That's why they should stick with fullbacks and put in the work on the pitch to improve what they've been working with from jump (minus a couple WC games that didn't work out for us).
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

1naija wrote:I noticed everyone is dropping Balogun from his line up. Perhaps I should remind everyone that our best defensive performance so far in this tournament was the Guinea game when he paired with Omeruo. I would start with the back 4 of Awaziem, Omeruo, Balogun, and Aina. We don't the quality to play only 3 defenders. That would be a recipe for disaster!
Kenneth + Balogun for me.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

3-5-2 is a more defensive formation and it did not work at the Worldcup. If you have to play three CD then maybe your CDs are not good enough.