In defence of Omeruo...

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

db10
Egg
Egg
In defence of Omeruo...

Post by db10 »

...After watching Bakambu score for Congo on a beauty of a cross... Is there really anything that can be done against a perfect cross and a perfectly timed run
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: In defence of Omeruo...

Post by waka-man »

There isn’t. You can’t really fault Omeruo - or Akpeyi for that matter.
The problem started much earlier when there was no pressure in the middle for the pass out wide and then Awaziem has to do so much better to prevent the cross. A real full back would not let that happen (although I’ve been impressed with his attempts to adapt to the position and his cross for our equaliser would make any full back happy).
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Why have struggled with RB position nearly all my life. Even in 1994, we had a make shift Eguaveon playing there. 1998, we had nobody and put Mutiu there. In the last 25 years, have we ever had an established starter in that position.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
db10
Egg
Egg

Post by db10 »

Aina looks like the real deal to say the least. Tbh had not seen him play much until last couple of games. If he’s actually right-footed and is looking that convincing on the left...
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

db10 wrote:...After watching Bakambu score for Congo on a beauty of a cross... Is there really anything that can be done against a perfect cross and a perfectly timed run
Anything perfect serves its purpose so it will be unstoppable!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Sometimes I wonder whether some of you just sit at home, bored and think up topics you can post on cybereagles. Please go and feed the baby or take the trash out or help madam in the kitchen. :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

amafolas wrote:Why have struggled with RB position nearly all my life. Even in 1994, we had a make shift Eguaveon playing there. 1998, we had nobody and put Mutiu there. In the last 25 years, have we ever had an established starter in that position.
Chidi Odiah
db10
Egg
Egg

Post by db10 »

danfo driver wrote:Sometimes I wonder whether some of you just sit at home, bored and think up topics you can post on cybereagles. Please go and feed the baby or take the trash out or help madam in the kitchen. :roll:
It’s not every conversation that needs to be a fight bro. Stay blessed.
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

danfo driver wrote:Sometimes I wonder whether some of you just sit at home, bored and think up topics you can post on cybereagles. Please go and feed the baby or take the trash out or help madam in the kitchen. :roll:
It is very comical :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

eyan wrote:
amafolas wrote:Why have struggled with RB position nearly all my life. Even in 1994, we had a make shift Eguaveon playing there. 1998, we had nobody and put Mutiu there. In the last 25 years, have we ever had an established starter in that position.
Chidi Odiah
i forgot about him
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I think it’s moments like this that separate great defenders from good ones. If Omeruo truly wants to play for Chelsea, compete for the EPL and the Champions league, then that first goal cannot happen. It’s that simple.

It’s harsh to bash him for it or call for his dropping...but if he was truly elite, I think there’s no way Bahoken scores that.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

deanotito wrote:I think it’s moments like this that separate great defenders from good ones. If Omeruo truly wants to play for Chelsea, compete for the EPL and the Champions league, then that first goal cannot happen. It’s that simple.

It’s harsh to bash him for it or call for his dropping...but if he was truly elite, I think there’s no way Bahoken scores that.

Dude, I looked at the pass/cross 7 ways to Sunday, there was no defending the ball. He cut infront of the man, but bounce of the ball didn't favor him. It would have been madness if he was right-side of the Lion striker. The cross shouldn't have happened. That ball/cross beats any defender. He deserves a Chelsea shirt, but my concern after watching the Cameroon-Nigeria game was how he and Aina were bullied and tossed aside by the strikers/forwards.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Ask yourselves if Christian Chukwu, Stephen Keshi, Taribo West or Joseph Yobo would have been beaten with that header. World class centrebacks clear up those kind of balls for fun!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

db10 wrote:...After watching Bakambu score for Congo on a beauty of a cross... Is there really anything that can be done against a perfect cross and a perfectly timed run
Leave matter.

100% Omeruo's fault.

There are fundamentals you must have as a Central Defender. And letting such balls get past you without you being aware of the positioning of the striker before the cross is an error.

It was a lapse in concentration.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Ask yourselves if Christian Chukwu, Stephen Keshi, Taribo West or Joseph Yobo would have been beaten with that header. World class centrebacks clear up those kind of balls for fun!
I have to agree with Ayo.
I am happy
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

KPOM
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Cellular wrote:
Leave matter.

100% Omeruo's fault.

There are fundamentals you must have as a Central Defender. And letting such balls get past you without you being aware of the positioning of the striker before the cross is an error.

It was a lapse in concentration.
Thanks! I'll say it again. I don't think this is a "fireable" offense, but if Omeruo wants to play at the highest levels for his club, and not be sent out on loan every season, that ball cannot go in. It's really just that simple. That goal showed that he wasn't ready to be that guy for Chelsea. Unfortunate, but that was just it. This is flipping Bahoken for crying out loud...it was just a cheap goal
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

The cross was well placed which made it difficult to defend. Awazeim is doing ok for a CB playing as a FB. You can tell he is a CB though cause he doesn't play as wide as a natural FB like Ebuehi, Aina, or even Shehu. I hope Collins will be fit enough to feature in this tournament so we can move Aina to the right. It will stretch the opponents if we get the chance to play with 2 natural FBs.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

olu wrote:The cross was well placed which made it difficult to defend. Awazeim is doing ok for a CB playing as a FB. You can tell he is a CB though cause he doesn't play as wide as a natural FB like Ebuehi, Aina, or even Shehu. I hope Collins will be fit enough to feature in this tournament so we can move Aina to the right. It will stretch the opponents if we get the chance to play with 2 natural FBs.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I would say the lions share of the blame goes to Simon and Awazeim for giving the players on the wings too much space.
blueangel
Egg
Egg

Post by blueangel »

olu wrote:I would say the lions share of the blame goes to Simon and Awazeim for giving the players on the wings too much space.
I have always said If a Good Striker or Winger goes against any defender 10X, they WILL win the duel at least 2ce no matter how world class the defender is.
The Winger will cross or the Striker will shoot.
The defender cannot stop his aggressors 100% of the time.

When the Winger happens to cross a reasonable good ball, luck may happen.
When the Striker shoots a good shot on goal luck may happen.

Good thing is we came back and Won the Game.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Awaziem will be a beast for Nigeria at CD. He was the only one able to win aerial challenges against Ngadui, even Ndidi despite his aerial ability could not hold out against the big Cameroonian Central defender.
I am happy