Clemence Westerhoff starts work in Nigeria on July 1

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Clemence Westerhoff starts work in Nigeria on July 1

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

The return of Westerhof

Osasu Obayiuwana

BBC Sport

When Nigeria lost 2-1 to Italy in a 1994 World Cup second-round match, Clemens Westerhof, the team's Dutch manager, ended the first chapter of his turbulent romance with one of Africa's football powers.

But the itch to take on the challenge of developing the next generation of Nigerian players has compelled the ebullient character to return there after an eleven-year absence.

During a five-year period in charge of the Super Eagles, between 1989 and 1994, Westerhof's bullish personality split opinion down the middle.

With the benefit of hindsight, many commentators describe his era in charge as the golden period of Nigerian football but Westerhof feels that he has unfinished business to complete.

"I did not fulfil one position the last time I was in Nigeria and that was to give something back - in terms of youth development," he told BBC Sport from Lagos.

"But now, I will sign a five-year contract to head a [football] school of excellence and I think that it will be a fantastic job.

"We hope to produce talented, educated players for the national team of Nigeria, who can go anywhere in the world.

"I want to show that there are more Kanus, Finidis, Rashidi Yekinis, Jay-Jay Okochas, Amunekes and Babangidas in Nigeria," Westerhof said.

"But we also want to develop their minds, which will help them learn things a lot quicker."

The Football College of Excellence, located in Ilorin, the capital of Nigeria's Kwara State, is the brainchild of Anthony Kojo Williams, former chairman of the Nigeria Football Association and member of Fifa's five-a-side football committee.

"My contract starts on 1 July but first, I go back to Cape Town, where I live, sort out some matters and by 1 August, I start work," Westerhof said.

The Dutchman, who had been involved in developing young players, said the chance to play a key role in what would be a unique Nigerian football experiment has rejuvenated his love for the game.

"I worked with the youth academy with Feyenoord in Holland and with Umtata Bush Bucks in South Africa, but they were not serious there."

In contrast, he is glowing in his praise of the former NFA chairman and said that work done for the school's take-off is indicative of its great potential.

Westerhof, who led Nigeria to the African Cup of Nations title in 1994 - which the country has not won since - said the school will ensure that youngsters unable to make it in football will not be abandoned to the cruel winds of fate.

"If some of the students can't make it in football, we will have helped develop their minds, so they can become doctors, lawyers or whatever they choose."

Westerhof also intends to use the school to nurture the country's next generation of coaches.

He wants former Nigeria striker Daniel Amokachi and goalkeeper Alloy Agu to play a key role in the school.

"I want Daniel to work with me and assist the head coach, whom I will bring from Holland.

"I also want Alloy to be my goalkeeper trainer. I will talk with him and see if he will accept to live in the school.

"This is a private project, which has nothing to do with the government or the Nigeria Football Association and we'll show them the way to do it," said the confident Westerhof.

With his previous track record in Nigeria, few will doubt his drive, desire and ability to make this project work
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

I will always consider Westerhoff an honorary Nigerian. The man has proven that he is an African through and through. Best wishes always.
Molue Conductor
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Molue Conductor »

More sugar in his garri
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Will his health be a factor?
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Molue Conductor wrote:More sugar in his garri
Since when you people start eat gari. You no know say it be Ghanaian food? :)
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

tfco wrote:
Molue Conductor wrote:More sugar in his garri
Since when you people start eat gari. You no know say it be Ghanaian food? :)
DO U GUYS EAT EBA? If so, with what SOUP? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Come to Nigeria and see what we do with Garri... not using cold water to mode garri into eba and swallow it with raw tomatoe.. :lol:
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
e de paini you o! ga gaa!!
e sweet me o ga gaa, ga gaa!!
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

theYemster wrote:Will his health be a factor?
Seems you actually beleive that libelous claim of him having HIV?
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

....anyway, great comeback by CW. I wish him all the best in Ilorin and hope to see his handwork bring socur to Nigeria youth football.../
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
Vindave
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vindave »

" I want to show that there are more Kanus, Finidis, Rashidi Yekinis, Jay-Jay Okochas, Amunekes and Babangidas in Nigeria"
-Clemens Westerhof

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 638895.stm
e de sweet me o! ga gaa!
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

i hope this goes through, and if it does, it will be great for our football
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
kaycee2g

Post by kaycee2g »

Kai!!! As i have often said, the distruction of Nigerian football hit its climax the day KOJO WILLIAMS was forced out. he is a visionary person
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mke1010 wrote:
Was there any reason not to?

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hard Man
Egg
Egg

Post by Hard Man »

Here's hoping something comes of this .. more grease to Westerhof's elbow!
I have seen the future, and it is dirty. Dirty Leeds.

I raised the alarm at work today. The midgets were furious.

I have some new agoraphobic anorexic neighbors; they must have skeletons in their closet.
mke1010
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mke1010 »

theYemster wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
The man said it was not true. Is there any reason to beleive a bitter woman over what the man is saying?
kongi the emir

Post by kongi the emir »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

GOWON FOR NFA CHAIRMAN
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

We could have won WC 1998 if he wasn't fired. CW is a great coach.
SITH
Egg
Egg

Post by SITH »

O'l boy I too wish he was still around for 98 WC we surely would have done better; but on he's new job in ilorin I wish him all the best.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
ummm...

Post by paj »

..this smells like a new YSFON to me... :shock:

Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mke1010 wrote:
theYemster wrote:
mke1010 wrote:
The man said it was not true. Is there any reason to beleive a bitter woman over what the man is saying?
Obviosuly I never heard his refutal.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mastermind wrote:We could have won WC 1998 if he wasn't fired. CW is a great coach.
I don't believe he was fired...but I could be wrong!

I dunno about coach but he was a great manager though.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Things are taking shape gradually. Hopefully, Galadima will announce a new coach for the Eagles too.

Westerhoff will be on hand to help with little administrative things and know-how. One of the problems with the NFA is the calibre of people in it.

We have board members who do not know how to go about organising a friendly game or who have no idea of how merchandising works. These guys have spent their entire lives living off government handouts so are overwhelmed when asked to perform non-civil service jobs.

I am just waiting to see who Galadima picks for the Eagles job. We have been messed around enough and need a solution ASAP.
ROSSIKE
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ROSSIKE »

Ayo Akinfe said:
Westerhoff will be on hand to help with little administrative things and know-how.
What know-how? What administrative things? Can you be a bit more specific??
Imagination is more important than knowledge

- Albert Einstein

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Things are taking shape gradually. Hopefully, Galadima will announce a new coach for the Eagles too.

Westerhoff will be on hand to help with little administrative things and know-how. One of the problems with the NFA is the calibre of people in it.

We have board members who do not know how to go about organising a friendly game or who have no idea of how merchandising works. These guys have spent their entire lives living off government handouts so are overwhelmed when asked to perform non-civil service jobs.

I am just waiting to see who Galadima picks for the Eagles job. We have been messed around enough and need a solution ASAP.
Ayo, quit inserting yourself in matters regarding Nigerian football as if you are in the know. You know no more about what's going than the average person here! Nonsense and ingredients!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.