I swear, only Amunike would have made today's SE squad.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: I swear, only Amunike would have made today's SE squad.

Post by Damunk »

Ezeugo and Ikoku weren't exactly brilliant ballers in my opinion.
They were 'just okay' and the drop in quality on the bench is what makes our current squad more competitive.
Granted, the 94 squad had a sprinkling of world class players like Finidi, Yekini and the young JJ (who was yet to fully blossom) but it had more than its fair share of journeymen.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Ugbowo wrote:Yekini scored a lot of goals.....but gosh d guy dey chop chances sha. Jeezus
I think we were just mesmerized by the fact that they were our first WC team, and they did well at the WC. BUT, we you look at the team closely, they weren't as good as we've made them to be.

The only 2 clear World class caliber players on the team were Amunike and Finidi. The rest were often hit and miss. For example, loooking closely at Amokachi's stats, can anyone really say he was better than iheanacho today? They even have similar goals to games ratio despite Nacho not starting most of his games for Nigeria.

If I was selecting a starting line up from the current team and that team today, the line up would be..

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

1naija wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:Yekini scored a lot of goals.....but gosh d guy dey chop chances sha. Jeezus
I think we were just mesmerized by the fact that they were our first WC team, and they did well at the WC. BUT, we you look at the team closely, they weren't as good as we've made them to be.

The only 2 clear World class caliber players on the team were Amunike and Finidi. The rest were often hit and miss. For example, loooking closely at Amokachi's stats, can anyone really say he was better than iheanacho today? They even have similar goals to games ratio despite Nacho not starting most of his games for Nigeria.

If I was selecting a starting line up from the current team and that team today, the line up would be..

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
This 62 year old drunkard, it's obvious you don't know Amokachi's role in the SE under Westerhoff. The SE coach needed an unselfish player to play alongside Yekini after Siasia's selfish play against CIV cost us the WCQ in Abidjan.
The coach dropped Siasia and Amokachi stepped up and sacrificed his goal scoring for the team. He started and finished every match in AFCON 1994 and did not score a single goal but that did not diminish his contribution to the victory.
When his role changed in the team, he was Nigeria's top scorer with 4 goals in the 1998 WCQs.
I hope your befuddled drunken brain can comprehend my comments!
I am happy
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Dammy wrote:
1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
This 62 year old drunkard, it's obvious you don't know Amokachi's role in the SE under Westerhoff. The SE coach needed an unselfish player to play alongside Yekini after Siasia's selfish play against CIV cost us the WCQ in Abidjan.
The coach dropped Siasia and Amokachi stepped up and sacrificed his goal scoring for the team. He started and finished every match in AFCON 1994 and did not score a single goal but that did not diminish his contribution to the victory.
When his role changed in the team, he was Nigeria's top scorer with 4 goals in the 1998 WCQs.
59 years old rich man pikin, are you a coach also? What role does Kelechi play for the SE under Rohr?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

1naija wrote:
Dammy wrote:
1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
59 years old rich man pikin, are you a coach also? What role does Kelechi play for the SE under Rohr?
62 year old drunk, what role does your befuddled brain tells you Nacho plays? :taunt: :taunt:
I am happy
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Hmmm... Not sure about this my bro

The only guy who would have made that squad is Ndidi
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

YUJAM wrote:Hmmm... Not sure about this my bro

The only guy who would have made that squad is Ndidi
Would he have played ahead of Oliseh? Remember, they would have vied for the same position. Just asking?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Wake me up when the current team puts the fear of Moses in an opposing side. The 1994 team almost beat 1990 WC winners Argentina, almost beat eventual finalists Italy and beat semi-finalists Bulgaria.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

1naija is trolling drunk again, but he does have a point.
The following would easily be in the starting 11
Amuneke
Amokachi,
Finidi
Okocha
Nwanu
Uche
Rufai
Iroha

Completing the team
Osihmen
Ndidi
RightBack: (Aina, Ebuehi, etc take a pick.)
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
Abeg bro, why do you keep putting Akpeyi in the squad? We all know that he's never been number 1 choice let alone comparing him to Rufai. The ONLY reason Akpeyi started ahead of Uzoho at the AFCON was because of Uzoho's lack of match fitness because of the issues he had that period with his initial transfer and also recently due to injury. When all keepers are fit and playing UZOHO IS NUMBER 1. With Okoye securing a move to Sparta, Uzoho to APOEL Nicosia & Osigwe rumored to join FC Lugano to be surprised to see Akpeyi drop out entirely.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote:
1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen
Abeg bro, why do you keep putting Akpeyi in the squad? We all know that he's never been number 1 choice let alone comparing him to Rufai. The ONLY reason Akpeyi started ahead of Uzoho at the AFCON was because of Uzoho's lack of match fitness because of the issues he had that period with his initial transfer and also recently due to injury. When all keepers are fit and playing UZOHO IS NUMBER 1. With Okoye securing a move to Sparta, Uzoho to APOEL Nicosia & Osigwe rumored to join FC Lugano to be surprised to see Akpeyi drop out entirely.
Whatever WE might think abut Akpeyi, you can't ignore the top endorsement Nigeria's ALL TIME GREAT goalkeeping hero Vincent Enyeama gave him recently.
How are you going to explain that?
That you are completely right and Enyeama completely wrong?

Just make your case and don't assume it is a common consensus because your "we all know" is not true. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen

The problem with what I see with these revisionist thinking is you see a bunch of names and immediately crown them world beaters. This current team has done diddly. Absolutely nothing yet. The 1994 team that you think was overrated not only did well at the WC, but won the Africa Cup. At that World Cup, only a late goal prevented them from beating the team that went all the way to the final of the event. They humiliated the team that eventually placed third at that tournament. What does that tell you? That 1994 team was not a fluke. Take that to the bank. The current team has achieved nothing yet to even be spoken about on the same wavelength.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen

The problem with what I see with these revisionist thinking is you see a bunch of names and immediately crown them world beaters. This current team has done diddly. Absolutely nothing yet. The 1994 team that you think was overrated not only did well at the WC, but won the Africa Cup. At that World Cup, only a late goal prevented them from beating the team that went all the way to the final of the event. They humiliated the team that eventually placed third at that tournament. What does that tell you? That 1994 team was not a fluke. Take that to the bank. The current team has achieved nothing yet to even be spoken about on the same wavelength.
Current team should be compared to the golden bronze era. A bit better than the Libya 82 team :tic: Not even as good as the Onigbinde ANC 84 team :taunt:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
1naija wrote:

Akpeyi
Eguavoen
Uche Okechukwu
Ekong
Ola Aina
Ndidi
Aribo
Finidi
Amunike
Nacho
Osimhen

Nearly does not kill a bird. Afterall this team lost to a team that played in the final of the WC also, since that's now an accomplishment.
omey2k4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by omey2k4 »

1naija you call the 94 team primitive but even after 98 where that group was aging,we havent seen any team do better than them till date!!! The last core of the 94 team was the 2000 ANC and they made it to the finals,they won 94,we got banned for 2 years came back in 2000 made it to the final.

Then again your brain hasn't evolved since 20 years ago :lol: :taunt: still trolling for shock value Anyway you can only fool thee JJC's that started watching football since they moved abroad and internet had youtube.

Anyway i know what you did here :bump:
http://www.myspace.com/donproductionsbeatz
http://www.soundcloud.com/donproductionsbeatz
www.twitter.com/Donproductions

Listen to my beatz^^^^^