'CONFIRMED: AKPOGUMA SWITCHES TO NIGERIA'

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ogasir
Egg
Egg
Re: 'CONFIRMED: AKPOGUMA SWITCHES TO NIGERIA'

Post by ogasir »

Pretty soon the entire SE will be oyinbo
IN SUPER EAGLES WE TRUST
ikemba_nacho
Egg
Egg

Post by ikemba_nacho »

ogasir wrote:Pretty soon the entire SE will be oyinbo
This view is becoming very tiresome to be honest. A lot of Nigerian kids born overseas (myself included) identify very strongly with Nigeria considering that racial discrimination faced growing up.

When these guys opt to play for Nigeria, there is a strong sense of having found a home in a lot of them and just stepping foot in Nigeria and people saying welcome home, might seem mundane, but it has a profound effect on a person. Trivialising this topic can become very toxic and potentially limit the growth of the team.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

ikemba_nacho wrote:
This view is becoming very tiresome to be honest. A lot of Nigerian kids born overseas (myself included) identify very strongly with Nigeria considering that racial discrimination faced growing up.

When these guys opt to play for Nigeria, there is a strong sense of having found a home in a lot of them and just stepping foot in Nigeria and people saying welcome home, might seem mundane, but it has a profound effect on a person. Trivialising this topic can become very toxic and potentially limit the growth of the team.
Sometimes you just have to ignore the ignorance.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

ikemba_nacho wrote:

You sometimes are forced to think there's something else going on, something deeper, with all these guys that say stupid things like that.
U have to feel sorry for them.
They got issues.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ogasir wrote:Pretty soon the entire SE will be [all foreign born]

AND, THE NFF MAY NOT KNOW IT NOW, BUT...

...it would leave no doubt to foreign observers that Nigeria lacks a meaningful youth development program, because the world knows that if one existed the team would be dominated by local youths.
Bell
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bell wrote:

...it would leave no doubt to foreign observers that Nigeria lacks a meaningful youth development program, because the world knows that if one existed the team would be dominated by local youths.
Bell
What's new?
You think there haven't been dark discussion in high quarters and low quarters about how British/French/Italian sport in general has become dominated by "immigrants"?

You think there haven't been complaints about how "immigrants with funny names" i.e. Africans are filling up their national football youth teams, the full national team and even their top club sides?

You have forgotten how the French World Cup squads have forever been under constant barrage in sections of their press for fielding so many "immigrants" i.e. Africans

You think there wasn't a huge brouhaha when Gianluca Vialli's Chelsea fielded the first ever all-foreign EPL team line up (amongst whom was Babayaro) in '99, and six years later in 2005 Arsene Wenger's Arsenal fielded the first ever EPL all-foreign squad?

You think there aren't closet whingers and whiners bitching about how foreign managers absolutely dominate their elite league and even at one point were the only viable candidates for their national team?

In soccer, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS VICTORY.
Nobody is going to remember the fine details of how it is achieved as long as it is legitimate.
Can you, for instance, name the 'foreign-born' Algerians that won the last AFCON?

Everyone is doing it one way or another and Nigeria which is actually not naturalising players, but fielding legitimate dual nationals, is self-criticising.

"Some national teams have been far from reserved in welcoming foreign born players into their ranks. Belgium adopted and adored the Croatian Josip Weber in the first half of the nineties and, more recently, his fellow countryman Branko Strupar - both were naturalized specifically for inclusion in the national team. Over the last six years Austria has created a little Croatian legion of four, Ivica Vastic being the best of them, and indeed the top Austrian player for several years.

Germany have looked much further afield to fill the attacking void created by the retirements of Klinsmann, Bierhoff and Kirsten. The list includes the Bobic (Slovenia), Rink (Brazil), Dundee (South Africa), Neuville (French Swiss), Asamoah (Ghana), Kurany (Hungary/Brazil) and the Klose and Podolski (both Polish). The Poland national team has responded by including the Nigerian Emanuel Olisadebe.

Sweden have included a number of players from South Eastern Europe, most prominently Zlatan Ibrahimovic."
https://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile ... lized.html
Even the 1.4 billion-strong Chinese are doing it and recently naturalised a Brazilian. :lol:

Abeg, leave matta.
The world is changing and moving on fast.

Anybody wey no like am can stay back and fully embrace a transformer.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

ikemba_nacho wrote:

The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

My worry is that the NFF is becoming so reliant on these players that it is not nurturing talent back home. We have seen the results of the NFF's U-13 initiative from a few years ago - players like Osimhen, Chukwueze, Iheanacho Nwakali etc.

It is in our interest that we keep both avenues for talent open.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

My worry is that the NFF is becoming so reliant on these players that it is not nurturing talent back home. We have seen the results of the NFF's U-13 initiative from a few years ago - players like Osimhen, Chukwueze, Iheanacho Nwakali etc.

I don't see the Algerians, Ivoriens, Morrocans, even the French etc complain about tapping into the huge reservoir of their "foreign born" talents despite having relatively better leagues than ours... why should this even be an issue? I'm tired of you whining little girls on here honestly.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ikemba_nacho wrote:

:clap:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Bell wrote:

Bell
The world doesn’t think much of Africans anyway but they praise France (who would use a decent African despite their successful youth system) and don’t wonder about Switzerland who use Africans despite their exclusive citizenship outside of football,Nigeria needs to concentrate on youth development but needs to also find eligible players worldwide which isn’t not breaking FIFA rules (the youth teams where accused of breaking rules).
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

aruako1 wrote: The choice of the word 'oyinbo' justifies your reaction but it is still a talking point that we are increasingly recruiting footballers who were born or grew up abroad. I'm not against this trend as I have constantly defended these players when their claim to Nigerian citizenship is attacked by some on this forum. Besides, if my British born son is lucky enough to be a good footballer, you can bet that I'll push for him to choose Nigeria.

The first thing Pinnick did was to scrap the programme. Then reduce allowances paid to the junior team across board. When he was called his supporters went into hiding.

We know Pinnick agenda. He doesn´t believe in anything home grown or home made. 3 more years to go!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

I don't see the Algerians, Ivoriens, Morrocans, even the French etc complain about tapping into the huge reservoir of their "foreign born" talents despite having relatively better leagues than ours... why should this even be an issue? I'm tired of you whining little girls on here honestly.
I'm not sure that the Algerians, Moroccans and Ivorirns should necessarily be our role models in everything - we are historically more successful than them. For the French, I don't mind following their youth policy.

We should have the best of both worlds. My concern is that the NFF is not doing enough on the home from.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Not good enough, would rather have Felix Uduokhai and Jordan Torunarigha.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Tobi17 wrote:To be fair to him he was at least honest enough from the start that he was open to play for Nigeria even though Germany was his choice, seems like a cool lad and definitely a very decent player... good luck to him in his SE career.

The other German boys that have already switched are Jordan Torunarigha, Felix Uduokhai and I believe Felix Agu.
More options for us, world cup go sweet sha if we qualify.
Felix Agu and Kingsley Ehizibue would bring more edge to our fullback slots.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

wale1974 wrote:Not good enough, would rather have Felix Uduokhai and Jordan Torunarigha.
akpoguma is more talented than those two...Agu is on similar level.

give him a shirt.....he stinks up the place...bye bye....he is good.........why will anyone stand against it
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Enyi wrote:
wale1974 wrote:Not good enough, would rather have Felix Uduokhai and Jordan Torunarigha.

give him a shirt.....he stinks up the place...bye bye....he is good.........why will anyone stand against it
I tire for some people. More CBs means more depth. Balogun is aging so we need capable replacements. I am glad we are getting the German boys.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Kevin Ofuoma Akpoguma Na Warri boy.. He is good for Nigeria.. He was the captain of the German U-20 National, helping the team reach the quarterfinals of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. No be moi moi to captain Germany...
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Tobi17 wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
ikemba_nacho wrote:

It's not whining. He's making a very salient observation. He just expressed himself very poorly the first time. For Nigeria to reach her full potential, development of the talent at home can't be ignored.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Enyi wrote:

No one is standing against adding OUALITY players, but Felix Uduokhai and Jordan Torunarigha are way ahead of him in development and playing time.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Purity wrote:Kevin Ofuoma Akpoguma Na Warri boy.. He is good for Nigeria.. He was the captain of the German U-20 National, helping the team reach the quarterfinals of the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand. No be moi moi to captain Germany...
:roll: :roll: :roll:
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Why not load the team up with Local league boys and see how far we can go :lol:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Damunk wrote:
Bell wrote:

Bell
What's new?
You think there haven't been dark discussion in high quarters and low quarters about how British/French/Italian sport in general has become dominated by "immigrants"?

You think there haven't been complaints about how "immigrants with funny names" i.e. Africans are filling up their national football youth teams, the full national team and even their top club sides?

You have forgotten how the French World Cup squads have forever been under constant barrage in sections of their press for fielding so many "immigrants" i.e. Africans

You think there wasn't a huge brouhaha when Gianluca Vialli's Chelsea fielded the first ever all-foreign EPL team line up (amongst whom was Babayaro) in '99, and six years later in 2005 Arsene Wenger's Arsenal fielded the first ever EPL all-foreign squad?

You think there aren't closet whingers and whiners bitching about how foreign managers absolutely dominate their elite league and even at one point were the only viable candidates for their national team?

In soccer, THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS VICTORY.
Nobody is going to remember the fine details of how it is achieved as long as it is legitimate.
Can you, for instance, name the 'foreign-born' Algerians that won the last AFCON?

Everyone is doing it one way or another and Nigeria which is actually not naturalising players, but fielding legitimate dual nationals, is self-criticising.

"Some national teams have been far from reserved in welcoming foreign born players into their ranks. Belgium adopted and adored the Croatian Josip Weber in the first half of the nineties and, more recently, his fellow countryman Branko Strupar - both were naturalized specifically for inclusion in the national team. Over the last six years Austria has created a little Croatian legion of four, Ivica Vastic being the best of them, and indeed the top Austrian player for several years.

Germany have looked much further afield to fill the attacking void created by the retirements of Klinsmann, Bierhoff and Kirsten. The list includes the Bobic (Slovenia), Rink (Brazil), Dundee (South Africa), Neuville (French Swiss), Asamoah (Ghana), Kurany (Hungary/Brazil) and the Klose and Podolski (both Polish). The Poland national team has responded by including the Nigerian Emanuel Olisadebe.

Sweden have included a number of players from South Eastern Europe, most prominently Zlatan Ibrahimovic."
https://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile ... lized.html
Even the 1.4 billion-strong Chinese are doing it and recently naturalised a Brazilian. :lol:

Abeg, leave matta.
The world is changing and moving on fast.

Anybody wey no like am can stay back and fully embrace a transformer.
:laugh: after dousing demselves well-well with wata

Wha choo looking at?!
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ikemba_nacho wrote:

MAYBE YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT

Born overseas, I think Nigerians would welcome you with open arms if you want to embrace the land of your parents. They will accord you all the rights of somebody born in Nigeria, including the right to participate in the national teams. Heck, even to run for president.

Now answer this question: do you think it's fair and would make sense for the NFF to develop a meaningful youth program that would allow local youths to compete favorably with those outside the country? And that not doing so amounts to moral neglect?
Bell