This is unacceptable!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This is unacceptable!

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:IMO, you have to chuck down games like this as a one off. So long as it does not happen again.

But to fire a coach for this, and in the middle of a pandemic, FULLY AWARE of the management capabilities of the NFF, is madness!!
Txj,

While I agree that a coach should not be fired based on this game, it is ridiculous to blame the NFF here. Nigeria is better than this Sierra Leone team and no matter any issues with the NFF or the pitch, Nigeria should be able to overcome all that. This was down to the coach and the team. Bottomline.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

you know what I think is a big part of this.

I think it is arrogance.

Yes I think many of these players were too arrogant and not taking this game seriously after we had gone up.

Its like they just switched off and thought they could walk around for 45 minutes, dribble wherever they wanted, and just see the match out. That is my biggest take from this.

Hopefully they have learned a valuable lesson.

A game is 90 minutes and do not underestimate ANY team.

Also when you are up, FINISH THE TEAM OFF COMPLETELY.

Better to learn this now than in a more important situation.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Rohr and the players as well as the NFF are to blame,the NFF for not inspecting that cabbage patch before taking cash in hand from the governor and the players for some how thinking they game was won and Rohr for the continuous selection of passengers!
kpom.
Rohr has become comfortable and some of his players like Musa and Ekong as well.
Musa should be left out of the SE to go and sort his club career out and if he merits a recall, invite him then.
Ekong left Serie A for the championships and is starting spot is still intact while EPL level defenders are left on the bench. Without Balogun, Ekong was lost and couldn't command the defence.
I am happy
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Dammy wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
Eaglezbeak wrote:Rohr and the players as well as the NFF are to blame,the NFF for not inspecting that cabbage patch before taking cash in hand from the governor and the players for some how thinking they game was won and Rohr for the continuous selection of passengers!
kpom.
Rohr has become comfortable and some of his players like Musa and Ekong as well.
Musa should be left out of the SE to go and sort his club career out and if he merits a recall, invite him then.
Ekong left Serie A for the championships and is starting spot is still intact while EPL level defenders are left on the bench. Without Balogun, Ekong was lost and couldn't command the defence.

Chei is Balogun that good ? Or are our other defender that poor ?

What is happening now is somewhat similar to Keshi's downfall when his player became complacent.

I have serious questions about Troost.

Musa is a given, he should be a gonner.

This is why you must establish an adequate pecking order and depth chart.

Rohr has neglected building a strong and deep midfield. So now when players like Iwobi, Aribo, are either fooling around or getting tired, there is nobody to replace them.

When players are not picked on merrit (Musa, Akpobuma, Onuachu) it leaves a bad taste in other's mouths, and it destabalizes the team, because others will have no incentive to put in an effort in camp if they will not be chosen anyways.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:IMO, you have to chuck down games like this as a one off. So long as it does not happen again.

But to fire a coach for this, and in the middle of a pandemic, FULLY AWARE of the management capabilities of the NFF, is madness!!
Txj,

Why I agree that a coach should not be fired based on this game, it is ridiculous to blame the NFF here. Nigeria is better than this Sierra Leone team and no matter any issues with the NFF or the pitch, Nigeria should be able to overcome all that. This was down to the coach and the team. Bottomline.

I was referring to the well known capabilities of the NFF in recruiting coaches.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Even though I used to be a Rohr supporter I also have my doubts he is the right man for this Nigerian team. He might be too conservative and not progressive enough.
But nevertheless I don't believe this is the time to call for his head.
I don't deny such a match and lack of concentration is unacceptable and should not be tolerated again. But I'm more interested in the reaction of the team under Rohr. Games like this have been crucial wake-up calls for later champions in the past.
Things like that can happen to the best of the best. It's more important what you make of it. And regarding Rohr, it's more important how you manage a team after such a moral defeat and how you inspire your team to be more focused and learn from past mistakes.
Just my two cents.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

DAgrin wrote:Even though I used to be a Rohr supporter I also have my doubts he is the right man for this Nigerian team. He might be too conservative and not progressive enough.
But nevertheless I don't believe this is the time to call for his head.
I don't deny such a match and lack of concentration is unacceptable and should not be tolerated again. But I'm more interested in the reaction of the team under Rohr. Games like this have been crucial wake-up calls for later champions in the past.
Things like that can happen to the best of the best. It's more important what you make of it. And regarding Rohr, it's more important how you manage a team after such a moral defeat and how you inspire your team to be more focused and learn from past mistakes.
Just my two cents.
kpom

waiting to see the reaction from Rohr and his players.

If Rohr does not make certain tactical and personnel changes, I'm going to officially start my campaign against him. He no want this oh !!
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote:

Txj,

Why I agree that a coach should not be fired based on this game, it is ridiculous to blame the NFF here. Nigeria is better than this Sierra Leone team and no matter any issues with the NFF or the pitch, Nigeria should be able to overcome all that. This was down to the coach and the team. Bottomline.
Rohr's game management is highly questionable. We saw this against Argentina and Algeria, when he couldn't make the necessary subs to help a tiring team. We have seen it again today, at 4-2, I would have brought in a grafter like Shehu to shore up the midfield. He just seems to run out of ideas and this is happening again!
I am happy
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Nigeria vs Algeria 0-1
Nigeria vs Tunisia 1-1
Nigeria vs Sierra Leone 4-4
Sierra Leone vs Nigeria ?-?

Are you seeing what I am seeing?

People do not know who to blame.

I think this coach and the team are finished. Somethings need to change.
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Robotnik wrote:Nigeria vs Algeria 0-1
Nigeria vs Tunisia 1-1
Nigeria vs Sierra Leone 4-4
Sierra Leone vs Nigeria ?-?

Are you seeing what I am seeing?

People do not know who to blame.

I think this coach and the team are finished. Somethings need to change.
Yep the coach and his passengers,I doubt it Sierra Leone are going to let them leave Free Town with maximum points, they know they can score and the eagle is wounded!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
LeonPhelps
Egg
Egg

Post by LeonPhelps »

Even with all the money we have it's a shame they can't bring the Eagles back to Lagos. We need the feeling of the old Surulere intimidation back. Enough of Kanos, Calabar, Uyo, Benin City etc.

Get Julius Berger to build an ultra modern 100k capacity stadium in Lagos.
"In Japan a corrupt person kills himself. In China, they kill him. In Europe and America they jail him. In Africa, he will present himself for election." - Prof. PLO Lumumba
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

Eaglezbeak, this is nothing to do with the quality of the pitch. Things like pitch quality reduce margins of victory from about 5/6 to 2/3.

We have no leaders in the team. We needed one to stem the bleeding during the game.

It was a freak result, we would be Ok.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

vancity eagle wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:
chief nfachairman wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:The guys witnessed a horrific injury to Osihmen that knocked them out. Heads were down big time, they're humans.
Rohr is not to blame.
They blame Musa (although I believe he shouldn't ha e been invited) but Nigeria scored 4 goals and was 3 goals up when Musa left the field.

Musa's poor pass lead to the first SL goal

Musa killed every attack he touched the ball.

He was piss poor. Easily our worst player who started.
Agree with you. But what was the score when Musa left the field?
the problem was Balogun leaving and not Musa.

Ajayi was surprisingly piss poor, as were the rest of the team tbh.
Musa is not the reason we lost but he was part of a whole lot issues with the team.....

Rohr played his in form CB as a RB...when time came for CB change....he went with a CB low on confidence.

He rendered the midfield useless once he moved Musa behind Oshimen and moved Iwobi to the wing.

What’s the reluctance of playing Dennis and Ejuke? Did the same thing with Osihmen during the AFCON... the guy is a fossil and we need some one more proactive

Yes, Rohr brought stability and honesty but that’s part Pinnick as well....
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Morocco just beat Central African Republic 4-1,and managed the game brilliantly and comfortably... why are we cursed with useless coaches for God's sake?
ahidjo2
Egg
Egg

Post by ahidjo2 »

Tobi17 wrote:Morocco just beat Central African Republic 4-1,and managed the game brilliantly and comfortably... why are we cursed with useless coaches for God's sake?
You had players playing at the highest level of the game in Europe and you expect the coach to teach them how to defend, mark, pass, be aggressive, score... Does this team even need a coach to beat Sierra Lone?
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We're pretty much the only "top" team that failed to beat a minnow team at home for that matter...that's sheer travesty.
DAgrin
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by DAgrin »

Tobi17 wrote:Morocco just beat Central African Republic 4-1,and managed the game brilliantly and comfortably... why are we cursed with useless coaches for God's sake?
Simple and plain because we cannot afford a better coach. Nigeria is a messed country and the same applies to our NFF. Financially Nigeria can't afford a better coach. In addition the nigerian NFF doesn't have the best reputation. I know Pinnick has been much criticised, though I believe he has improved NFF's reputation by showing consistency and predictability.
Calling for Rohr's head is one thing. Considering adequate options is an other thing. I don't believe we have much better options available.
On the long term we urgently need to invest in the development of local coaches who deeply understand how a nigerian team works and can deploy its strengths.
I don't mind that we have a bunch of oyibo players in our team. I don't think that's a problem at all. The players on board are committed. On the long term we just need a really qualified and independent (pay him well!) local coach. It's mind blowing that a football passionate nation like Nigeria does not seriously invest in the education of their coaches. It could do wonders with the player material available.
"The secret of life is to have no fear." - Fela Kuti

Naija 4 life!
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

DAgrin wrote:
Simple and plain because we cannot afford a better coach. Nigeria is a messed country and the same applies to our NFF. Financially Nigeria can't afford a better coach. In addition the nigerian NFF doesn't have the best reputation. I know Pinnick has been much criticised, though I believe he has improved NFF's reputation by showing consistency and predictability.
Calling for Rohr's head is one thing. Considering adequate options is an other thing. I don't believe we have much better options available.
On the long term we urgently need to invest in the development of local coaches who deeply understand how a nigerian team works and can deploy its strengths.
I don't mind that we have a bunch of oyibo players in our team. I don't think that's a problem at all. The players on board are committed. On the long term we just need a really qualified and independent (pay him well!) local coach. It's mind blowing that a football passionate nation like Nigeria does not seriously invest in the education of their coaches. It could do wonders with the player material available.
It is all part of Oyinbo na Oyinbo mentality!

Let's just stick with the 'messiah'
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

wanaj0 wrote:Drawing with SL I think is an improvement. Not too long ago we lost to Madagascar.

The team is growing and learning. Patience if required.
kpom. We are learning.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ahidjo2 wrote:
You had players playing at the highest level of the game in Europe and you expect the coach to teach them how to defend, mark, pass, be aggressive, score... Does this team even need a coach to beat Sierra Lone?

I agree bro.

I blame Rohr for not making necessary changes, (even more so for not calling up the right players in midfield)

But we CANNOT BLAME ROHR

for the heartless and gutless display of OUR PLAYERS, ball watching, sleep walking, and misplacing simple passes, trying to dribble out of the back, giveaways.

The players STOPPED PLAYING.

and I agree We dont need a coach to beat Sierra Leone.

These players need to redeem themselves, and Rohr needs to cut the BS with Musa and Akpobuma.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:We're pretty much the only "top" team that failed to beat a minnow team at home for that matter...that's sheer travesty.

Morocco failed to beat Mauritania at home in match day 1. CIV needed a phantom PK to beat Niger at home. These things happen. Lets see how we respond.