Can someone explain this to me

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

highbury
Egg
Egg
Can someone explain this to me

Post by highbury »

Why is Junior Ajayi not starting for SE? He is clearly better than some in the main team at least. I wish it was Westerhof. At least he looked within Africa. This man Rohr sees nothing good in Africa except to cash in for his retirement portfolio. He uses the token local SE's goalkeeper with coconut head... Lol. His name skips my mind. If Rohr coached SE in the 90's Amunike wouldn't near team. Finidi of sharks wouldn't get in the team to name a few. Nigeria has lost that factor inherent in the typical Naija player. These players today are just models. Not footballers.
Last edited by highbury on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg
Re: Can someone explain this to me

Post by kalani JR »

We stopped looking in Africa after Utaka and Aghahowa left.
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lIAZsLM_zpg

Listen to him and compare to Rohr. See how he speaks about his team.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

You are comparing 2 different eras bro.

They are not comparable at all.

Which player is junior Ajayi better than ?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

vancity eagle wrote:You are comparing 2 different eras bro.

That's the question they have refused to answer, maybe they want him to replace a goalkeeper!
I am happy
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

What exactly has Junior Ajayi done to deserve a call up?
doctorollie
Egg
Egg

Post by doctorollie »

highbury wrote:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lIAZsLM_zpg

Listen to him and compare to Rohr. See how he speaks about his team.

Watching this made me nostalgic about the good old days. God bless Westerhof.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is one of Rohr’s biggest shortcomings. On average, he is right. The best players are in Europe and the better the league, the better the player...in general. But that is not always the case at the individual player level. There are and will always be diamonds in the rough that one can only find if they are willing to give local players a chance.

Rohr does not believe this. He’d rather play a 19 year old euro-based upstart striker than cap the highest Gil scorer in the Nigerian league. This is a problem...
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Samuel Kalu, Iwobi, Onyekuru to name a few
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

highbury wrote:

:laugh:

Ajayi is better than Iwobi? :laugh: :laugh: :rotf: :rotf:
OCCUPY NFF!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

highbury wrote:

To borrow a sentence from Chief Zebrudiah, “do not be talk robinson” :lol: ❗️

Cheers.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Agents can't take it anymore. They want their players in the team Now!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:This is one of Rohr’s biggest shortcomings. On average, he is right. The best players are in Europe and the better the league, the better the player...in general. But that is not always the case at the individual player level. There are and will always be diamonds in the rough that one can only find if they are willing to give local players a chance.

Rohr does not believe this. He’d rather play a 19 year old euro-based upstart striker than cap the highest Gil scorer in the Nigerian league. This is a problem...
The major hole in this argument is that there is no consensus amongst its advocates on who these "diamonds in the rough" might be.
Not one.

It is a comforting belief to hold on to and a potent tool to bash any dissenting voices with, but the fact remains that it is a sentiment based on nothing tangible.

The Ozonwafors, Odunlamis, Ifeanyi Ifeanyis, Ifeanyi Matthews, Nwobodos, Udos, Akas were all "diamonds in the rough" from the NPFL and all quickly jumped abroad at the first opportunity. Last time I checked, none of them are setting Europe alight just yet. But they were all given a shot in the national teams.

Ejuke is the one exception - that's if he played NPFL in the first place.

What nobody is willing to confront is the minor issue of our quota of local national team players following the same exodus abroad.

How do we keep up the pretence of picking the cream of Nigerian players with this kind of quota arrangement?

And while we're at it, can someone kindly explain why CHAN and the WAFU Nations Cup are not seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:And while we're at it, can someone kindly explain why CHAN and the WAFU Nations Cup are not seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players?
... Maybe when Rohr manage the CHAN and the WAFU team, then they will be seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:And while we're at it, can someone kindly explain why CHAN and the WAFU Nations Cup are not seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players?
... Maybe when Rohr manage the CHAN and the WAFU team, then they will be seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players.
So in short, you have no confidence in Yobo, or previously Salisu who manage and have managed the B teams?
Yet you want them to take over? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You sound like the typical employers that reject young ambitious recruits because "they have no experience", yet won't give them the job and responsibility to attain the experience! :lol:

So Rohr is the only competent coach available to source and confirm the suitability of players in the CHAN camp and is the only one capable of coaching them successfully?

Or are you looking to foist failure on his head as part of your thinly-veiled agenda? :sneaky:

You see why your argument has more holes in it than a Nigerian molue bus.
Chai! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:This is one of Rohr’s biggest shortcomings. On average, he is right. The best players are in Europe and the better the league, the better the player...in general. But that is not always the case at the individual player level. There are and will always be diamonds in the rough that one can only find if they are willing to give local players a chance.

I KPOM this statement. The point is that Rohr does not care about finding that diamond. He believes the European scout should find them first and take to Europe. Yet, he is willing to find the rough diamond in obscure places in Europe.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Damunk wrote:

The major hole in this argument is that there is no consensus amongst its advocates on who these "diamonds in the rough" might be.
Not one.

It is a comforting belief to hold on to and a potent tool to bash any dissenting voices with, but the fact remains that it is a sentiment based on nothing tangible.

The Ozonwafors, Odunlamis, Ifeanyi Ifeanyis, Ifeanyi Matthews, Nwobodos, Udos, Akas were all "diamonds in the rough" from the NPFL and all quickly jumped abroad at the first opportunity. Last time I checked, none of them are setting Europe alight just yet. But they were all given a shot in the national teams.

What nobody is willing to confront is the minor issue of our quota of local national team players following the same exodus abroad.

How do we keep up the pretence of picking the cream of Nigerian players with this kind of quota arrangement?

And while we're at it, can someone kindly explain why CHAN and the WAFU Nations Cup are not seen as appropriate platforms for identifying our best NPFL players?
Nah Bro. It’s your argument that has holes in it. I am not arguing for a particular player as much as I am arguing for a flexible orientation.

Pray tell, what had the then 2nd choice goalie in a mid table club, Maduka Okoye, done to deserve an international cap over say, the best goalkeeper in the Nigerian league?

Is Joe Aribo so special that what he brings cannot be duplicated within the shores of Nigeria? There are simply numerous eagles positions where the current occupants are not noteworthy enough to comfortably edge out the best local alternative. RB and LB come to mind.

I consider myself a Rohr supporter, but if he is unwilling to be open to local content, he will simply never find the players that defy the odds.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: So in short, you have no confidence in Yobo, or previously Salisu who manage and have managed the B teams?
Yet you want them to take over? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You sound like the typical employers that reject young ambitious recruits because "they have no experience", yet won't give them the job and responsibility to attain the experience! :lol:

So Rohr is the only competent coach available to source and confirm the suitability of players in the CHAN camp and is the only one capable of coaching them successfully?

Or are you looking to foist failure on his head as part of your thinly-veiled agenda? :sneaky:

You see why your argument has more holes in it than a Nigerian molue bus.
Chai! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Rohr should be in charge of the CHAN and the WAFU team. I hope this is clear enough!
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Not one.

Nah Bro. It’s your argument that has holes in it. I am not arguing for a particular player as much as I am arguing for a flexible orientation.

Pray tell, what had the then 2nd choice goalie in a mid table club, Maduka Okoye, done to deserve an international cap over say, the best goalkeeper in the Nigerian league?

Is Joe Aribo so special that what he brings cannot be duplicated within the shores of Nigeria? There are simply numerous eagles positions where the current occupants are not noteworthy enough to comfortably edge out the best local alternative. RB and LB come to mind.

I consider myself a Rohr supporter, but if he is unwilling to be open to local content, he will simply never find the players that defy the odds.
Well, no matter what we think, the ultimate test is now that we are mandated to have a quota of four local players.
Of course, I pray that it turns out a fruitful exercise, but if it doesn't, who loses?

The anti-Rohr die-hards who generally put their personal egos before the interests of the SE will give all sorts of excuses:
"He hasn't found the right players".
"He has played them out of position".
"He is not motivating them enough."
"He doesn't understand their Nigerian style of play".

Hopefully sha, it won't ever come to this. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.
Shebi we all dey here?

Already we are hearing how the CHAN and WAFU teams are unsuccessful, not because of the players, not because of the local coaches in charge, but because Rohr isn't involved.
But the same Rohr is described as "not being good enough" for the SE.
You really don't see the contradiction in this? :rotf:

They can't eat their cake and have it.
Maybe you can explain it better and that's why I put the question out there
And what do we do about the continued exodus of our best local players whilst conforming with the mandatory 'local' quota of four?

Or maybe you think these are not legit questions worth asking.
:idea:
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote:Already we are hearing how the CHAN and WAFU teams are unsuccessful, not because of the players, not because of the local coaches in charge, but because Rohr isn't involved.
Why bring up things YOU are hearing, which none of us have had the privilege of hearing :laugh: :laugh:
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

deanotito wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Not one.

Superior training, nutrition and conditioning
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:

I KPOM this statement. The point is that Rohr does not care about finding that diamond. He believes the European scout should find them first and take to Europe. Yet, he is willing to find the rough diamond in obscure places in Europe.
I see you are still looking for an Okocha under the bridge!!!

The difference is that those so called "rough diamonds in obscure places in Europe" are better trained, have better nutrition and conditioning.

One of those so called rough diamonds, going back in time, was one Sunday Oliseh at the obscure club, RFC Liege.

I sometimes wonder the goal of this campaign of yours and the motivation behind it.

Many of us want to see players go straight to the SE from the domestic game and break through successfully.

But if one is not simultaneously concerned about the quality of the players coming thru and esp their development, but seemingly merely want it to be said that we are using local players, then I have to wonder the true motive behind such a quest.

Even the quality of the players coming thru the youth teams is poor, yet we want players to be magically competitive in the SE.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp