Streets of Lagos - Grassroots Football

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The Eagle
Egg
Egg
Streets of Lagos - Grassroots Football

Post by The Eagle »

So.....

.... it is odd that the players, coaches and even the video narrator are talking in terms of these youth going directly from these "academies" to European clubs. True, Nigerian clubs are better known for owing players than for paying good salaries, but why is no one talking about a placement with a national Division Three club, or a team in the NFF-organized amateur leagues? It is not even certain they'd get a place at an organized Nigerian club as it is.

That said, it is possible the players could have appeared stronger if they had been playing on smooth, grassy pitches, as opposed to the sandy "beach soccer" fields they practice and play on. I saw players making the correct pass, the correct play, except the sand or the puddles held up the ball. Conversely, as someone who grew up playing on waterlogged pitches in rainy Port Harcourt, pitches that were potholed when dry, you learn to "lift" the ball when passing, as opposed to passing or playing it on the ground.

PS: It is very "African" that that first coach described himself as hailing from Benin Republic .... then said he was born in Nigeria, grew up in Nigeria, schooled in Nigeria and is still in Nigeria working now. I mean, is he not .... Nigerian? :)

If you have half an hour, the video is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmM5FkZB49M[/video]
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Streets of Lagos - Grassroots Football

Post by Gotti »

The Eagle wrote:So.....

.... it is odd that the players, coaches and even the video narrator are talking in terms of these youth going directly from these "academies" to European clubs. True, Nigerian clubs are better known for owing players than for paying good salaries, but why is no one talking about a placement with a national Division Three club, or a team in the NFF-organized amateur leagues? It is not even certain they'd get a place at an organized Nigerian club as it is.

That said, it is possible the players could have appeared stronger if they had been playing on smooth, grassy pitches, as opposed to the sandy "beach soccer" fields they practice and play on. I saw players making the correct pass, the correct play, except the sand or the puddles held up the ball. Conversely, as someone who grew up playing on waterlogged pitches in rainy Port Harcourt, pitches that were potholed when dry, you learn to "lift" the ball when passing, as opposed to passing or playing it on the ground.

PS: It is very "African" that that first coach described himself as hailing from Benin Republic .... then said he was born in Nigeria, grew up in Nigeria, schooled in Nigeria and is still in Nigeria working now. I mean, is he not .... Nigerian? :)

If you have half an hour, the video is below:
Very “African”? You need to get more... :lol:

You think in Japan or China or Korea or India about every other place in Asia, Eastern and Central Europe, the Middle East, etc., you become a citizen simply by being born (or raised) there? In fact, it was not until relatively recently that nations like Germany changed bloodlines as the principal determinant of citizenship. Citizenship is a political construct, but I presume that this dude would nonetheless be substantially and substantively more “Nigerian” (cultural and otherwise) than many who carry the Green Passport (including many CEs and SE players).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...but who will maintain the grass? Even our national playing grass fields are not up to par.
Plant grass there it will turn into mangrove forest of elephant grass over night with dangerous reptiles.
This is where the dream start...e no easy o!
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

Very interesting.
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

I like grassroots football, and I commend the efforts of those involved in it.

But you cannot SUSTAINABLY develop a country's football in the long term thru this.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Thanks for sharing.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

txj wrote:I like grassroots football, and I commend the efforts of those involved in it.

But you cannot SUSTAINABLY develop a country's football in the long term thru this.
...the sad part is these boys are being (falsely) groomed to go from street football to UK and Europe big time football, without going thru the local football scene of playing for a national division one league side.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

mcal wrote:
txj wrote:I like grassroots football, and I commend the efforts of those involved in it.

...the sad part is these boys are being (falsely) groomed to go from street football to UK and Europe big time football, without going thru the local football scene of playing for a national division one league side.
We need more investments, its a sad state of affairs.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
General Trousers
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by General Trousers »

Eagle, some Nigerians represented Benin. In fact quite a few.