Rohr's opinion on the Super Eagles' loss to Tunisia

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr's opinion on the Super Eagles' loss to Tunisia

Post by The YeyeMan »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:33 am
iworo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:24 am
green4life wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:00 am
proclaimjesus02 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:53 pm
In the best African teams, there are at most two or three players who bring this class with them. And in the end, the class of the players decides at a World Cup tournament. The qualitative deficits cannot be compensated for in the long run, even with the best team spirit.
1. Leicester City (League)
2. Greece (Euro)
3. Zambia (AFCON)
4. Portsmouth (FA Cup)
5. Wigan (FA Cup

... there are many more
Nah wah o :blink:! Sometimes, we all just need a little reminder of what is important in a statement. The key word here is “World Cup tournament“. :smile:
This is what happens when people are set in their ways and belief. All that is required is for them to list world cup winners and let’s see if his statement is true or false. Simple!
Such a limited and narrow way of thinking.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 am
In the best African teams, there are at most two or three players who bring this class with them. And in the end, the class of the players decides at a World Cup tournament. The qualitative deficits cannot be compensated for in the long run, even with the best team spirit.
2. Greece (Euro)
3. Zambia (AFCON)
4. Portsmouth (FA Cup)
5. Wigan (FA Cup

... there are many more
Nah wah o :blink:! Sometimes, we all just need a little reminder of what is important in a statement. The key word here is “World Cup tournament“. :smile:
This is what happens when people are set in their ways and belief. All that is required is for them to list world cup winners and let’s see if his statement is true or false. Simple!
Rohr's statement was not vague, it was clear and simple. Let's focus on that. Feel free to expand the scope on another post.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
chif456
Egg
Egg

Post by chif456 »

He legitimately does not have faith in the quality of African players or his coaching ability to make the team push above its weight.

He sounds more like a club coach than national team coach. Team spirit, uniting vision and sense of belief can inspire a severely limited team to do more.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

fabio wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 am
Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:05 am It's interesting to see the "CE experts" ignore Rohr's first point but are instead fixated on his 3rd point about player's quality.

Meanwhile, Messi and his band of talented Argentine teammates say hi.
Why can't he get a job in those organised and professional environment?
Because they're organized and professional? :tic:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:00 am
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 am
2. Greece (Euro)
3. Zambia (AFCON)
4. Portsmouth (FA Cup)
5. Wigan (FA Cup

... there are many more
Rohr's statement was not vague, it was clear and simple. Let's focus on that. Feel free to expand the scope on another post.
I've expanded it on this thread. Feel free to expand on your thinking.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:38 am
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:27 am But what Rohr has said is nothing new to be honest... he repeatedly made the same statement while Manager of Nigeria. He simply lacked belief in the quality of the players that he was coaching and it clearly showed in his approach to the game. He basically coached Nigeria as if he was coaching Chad Republic or CAR.

What he never understood is that the clubs that Nigerians play for in Europe do not exactly define the player's quality. It is, BTW, a grievous error that many CE make as well. The reality is that many Nigerian players are much better than the clubs that they play for and there is a socio-economic reason behind that. Many of these players do not care for the quality or the reputation of the European club that they play for. It is BS to them, in many cases. For instance, I guarantee that majority of these players will opt for the big $$$/payday in Kuwait over some low pay in Ligue 1 -- damn the BIG FIVE hype. BTW:
I have a family, my grandparents, cousins, and others to feed in a village near Kontagora than to worry about being in Ligue 1. That is for the fans and the football crazies to care. My own is to feed my people and save enough for when the career is over.

For them, the most important thing is the wages and the opportunity to play in Europe and/or outside Nigeria. I do not blame them for that because the issue is foremost to get out of the Nigerian location and get a pay day.
Abeg gerrara here with your nonsensical talk! The best Nigerian players play in the top leagues and there are no hidden gems in obscure leagues. This is how several below average players were brought in surreptitiously into the 2014 SE WC squad and their careers never progressed despite being taken to the WC.
Any good Nigerian player will not last long in an obscure league and there are many examples like Dennis, Moffi etc who started in obscure leagues and have moved on to the big leagues.
Those who make decisions based on money like Shehu ( turning down Sporting Lisbon to go to Saudi Arabia) Imoh Ezekiel ( who turned down Bundesliga clubs to go to Saudi Arabia) turned out not to be good enough!
Dammy

Good that you actually agree that a good Nigerian player can be in an obscure league by noting that they 'won't last long there.' 🤣 it is an important point. The question is when they are there, will you wait till they get to the big leagues to affirm their ability? Do you trust that they can be located there ir should Nigeria wait for the big leagues to tell us that they are good enough? Think Amao, think Ejuke, think Ndah, and there are others. Should they have been ignored because they are/were not in the big leagues? TBH, I did not expect you to grasp the issues behind the movement of the players and the socioeconomic circumstances that force that.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:43 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:27 am But what Rohr has said is nothing new to be honest... he repeatedly made the same statement while Manager of Nigeria. He simply lacked belief in the quality of the players that he was coaching and it clearly showed in his approach to the game. He basically coached Nigeria as if he was coaching Chad Republic or CAR.

What he never understood is that the clubs that Nigerians play for in Europe do not exactly define the player's quality. It is, BTW, a grievous error that many CE make as well. The reality is that many Nigerian players are much better than the clubs that they play for and there is a socio-economic reason behind that. Many of these players do not care for the quality or the reputation of the European club that they play for. It is BS to them, in many cases. For instance, I guarantee that majority of these players will opt for the big $$$/payday in Kuwait over some low pay in Ligue 1 -- damn the BIG FIVE hype. BTW:
I have a family, my grandparents, cousins, and others to feed in a village near Kontagora than to worry about being in Ligue 1. That is for the fans and the football crazies to care. My own is to feed my people and save enough for when the career is over.

For them, the most important thing is the wages and the opportunity to play in Europe and/or outside Nigeria. I do not blame them for that because the issue is foremost to get out of the Nigerian location and get a pay day.
Abeg gerrara here with your nonsensical talk! The best Nigerian players play in the top leagues and there are no hidden gems in obscure leagues. This is how several below average players were brought in surreptitiously into the 2014 SE WC squad and their careers never progressed despite being taken to the WC.
Any good Nigerian player will not last long in an obscure league and there are many examples like Dennis, Moffi etc who started in obscure leagues and have moved on to the big leagues.
Those who make decisions based on money like Shehu ( turning down Sporting Lisbon to go to Saudi Arabia) Imoh Ezekiel ( who turned down Bundesliga clubs to go to Saudi Arabia) turned out not to be good enough!
Dammy

Good that you actually agree that a good Nigerian player can be in an obscure league by noting that they 'won't last long there.' 🤣 it is an important point. The question is when they are there, will you wait till they get to the big leagues to affirm their ability? Do you trust that they can be located there ir should Nigeria wait for the big leagues to tell us that they are good enough? Think Amao, think Ejuke, think Ndah, and there are others. Should they have been ignored because they are/were not in the big leagues? TBH, I did not expect you to grasp the issues behind the movement of the players and the socioeconomic circumstances that force that.

It comes down to a case by case basis, but on the average, a player in a top league is playing at a higher level than those in lower leagues.

And for a NT manager and at the NT level, its not about the talent/potential of the player, but his current performance.

And on a practical level, a NT manager cannot afford the time to scout the nooks and crannies that Nigerian players go to.

Their are tiers in the leagues of Europe, with the big 5 being England, GER, SPA, ITA, FRA.

The Swedish league comes under the 3rd tier or thereabout and there's no issue with scouting there, and Nigeria has ALWAYS scouted players at this level.

But you cannot as a NT manager be trolling thru the leagues in Lithuania and Azerbaijan, whatever the socioeconomic circumstances that forced them there.

A players level of performance is also tied to the level of competition. Whatever talent he may bring from Nigeria, if the level of competition is poor, he regresses.

No serious manager would base selection decision on the past history of a player...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:02 pm

Dammy

It comes down to a case by case basis, but on the average, a player in a top league is playing at a higher level than those in lower leagues.

And for a NT manager and at the NT level, its not about the talent/potential of the player, but his current performance.

And on a practical level, a NT manager cannot afford the time to scout the nooks and crannies that Nigerian players go to.

Their are tiers in the leagues of Europe, with the big 5 being England, GER, SPA, ITA, FRA.

The Swedish league comes under the 3rd tier or thereabout and there's no issue with scouting there, and Nigeria has ALWAYS scouted players at this level.

But you cannot as a NT manager be trolling thru the leagues in Lithuania and Azerbaijan, whatever the socioeconomic circumstances that forced them there.

A players level of performance is also tied to the level of competition. Whatever talent he may bring from Nigeria, if the level of competition is poor, he regresses.

No serious manager would base selection decision on the past history of a player...
Txj

What you describe above applies to certain managers and national teams in Europe. Their circumstance is unique and not universal when considered from the view of African situation and the national team. While leagues in Europe, with high probability, select players for those national teams , they do not for most African national reams.

Why?

African players first and foremost do not move to a club based on the reputation of a club. They move because of economic dictation. That is very different from a European player. That economic dictate means that the move is most likely to be based on money on the table and not the prestige of the club. Given the above, it becomes understandable why the African talent is far more widely dispersed than the European talent.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:32 am
fabio wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:08 am
Kabalega wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:05 am It's interesting to see the "CE experts" ignore Rohr's first point but are instead fixated on his 3rd point about player's quality.

Meanwhile, Messi and his band of talented Argentine teammates say hi.
Why can't he get a job in those organised and professional environment?
Because they're organized and professional? :tic:
Kai. Didn't know Ugandans have bad mouth like this.

This is a one blow, seven die comment.

Knockout punches all around. To Rohr, NFF, Africa etc.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:30 pm

Dammy

Txj

What you describe above applies to certain managers and national teams in Europe. Their circumstance is unique and not universal when considered from the view of African situation and the national team. While leagues in Europe, with high probability, select players for those national teams , they do not for most African national reams.

Why?

African players first and foremost do not move to a club based on the reputation of a club. They move because of economic dictation. That is very different from a European player. That economic dictate means that the move is most likely to be based on money on the table and not the prestige of the club. Given the above, it becomes understandable why the African talent is far more widely dispersed than the European talent.

The last parag completely misses the point which is why you continue with this POV.
And its not a situation necessarily unique to Africa.

Whatever the economic circumstance behind the transfer of African players, it comes down to current performance and the level at which that is occurring.

Why?

Because a players ability is not static. It is esp a function of the competition around them, with players improving as a result of greater competition.

Its not about talent, but performance. Current performance...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Dammy

I understand your motives far more than you can ever imagine! Let them move to the major leagues before they're called up and perform.
We cannot be calling up players because they are tearing up the league in Latvia, Belarus or Kuwait!
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Dammy

This simple explanation is too complex for E11!
I am happy
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:51 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:30 pm

Dammy

Txj

Why?

The last parag completely misses the point which is why you continue with this POV.
And its not a situation necessarily unique to Africa.

Whatever the economic circumstance behind the transfer of African players, it comes down to current performance and the level at which that is occurring.

Why?

Because a players ability is not static. It is esp a function of the competition around them, with players improving as a result of greater competition.

Its not about talent, but performance. Current performance...
Txj

It is important to understand the socioeconomic situation because it is different and should be considered in player invitation or else we will copy Europe without understanding why they use their process. It is that copying syndrome that has left most of our country the way it is at the moment. We must be able to think and create based on special circumstances.

A player's ability is not static. You make a good observation there. That applies also to those currently in the Big Five, one must suppose. They are humans and not machines.

That form however is not ONLY based on their competition but also on Their INDIVIDUAL ABILITY. They are not passive as you know. They are active and thus have individual contribution to their form. You also know that over our history we have had players in the so-called lower clubs or leagues perform better than those from reputed leagues.

The above is why you have even the Big Five constantly buying rights to lower league players and they come up and start ahead of some of those in the club for years. Think about that.

The idea is that (1) the leagues now and never will be scientific to accurately select national team players based on the league level because of many issues that include the variation in form and also the inexactitude associated with scouting. (2) That the economic conditions in Africa create a special case of player dispersion that is not similar to Europe.

The above conditions mean that player invitation must therefore pay attention to these special circumstances and not blindly copy Europe.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:16 pmTxj

It is important to understand the socioeconomic situation because it is different and should be considered in player invitation or else we will copy Europe without understanding why they use their process. It is that copying syndrome that has left most of our country the way it is at the moment. We must be able to think and create based on special circumstances.

A player's ability is not static. You make a good observation there. That applies also to those currently in the Big Five, one must suppose. They are humans and not machines.

That form however is not ONLY based on their competition but also on Their INDIVIDUAL ABILITY. They are not passive as you know. They are active and thus have individual contribution to their form. You also know that over our history we have had players in the so-called lower clubs or leagues perform better than those from reputed leagues.

The above is why you have even the Big Five constantly buying rights to lower league players and they come up and start ahead of some of those in the club for years. Think about that.

The idea is that (1) the leagues now and never will be scientific to accurately select national team players based on the league level because of many issues that include the variation in form and also the inexactitude associated with scouting. (2) That the economic conditions in Africa create a special case of player dispersion that is not similar to Europe.

The above conditions mean that player invitation must therefore pay attention to these special circumstances and not blindly copy Europe.

The level at which a player performs is an objective assessment of his performance. CURRENT PERFORMANCE.

Its not about ability. That is a mirage.

Performance is what confirms ability, not the tales of a Teslim Balogun like ability told by market women!

Current performance, allied with the level of competition is the objective determinant.

It doesn't mean that a quality player cannot emerge from a lower tier team. That is a false argument.

But it also depends on the level.

A player performing exceptionally well in Azerbaijan cannot be evaluated on the same level as higher tier leagues, because he once showed ability.

There are no secrets in the global game. A player with ability has to play his way up to a higher level than India or Bangkok to objectively merit consideration.

If a player has real ability, it will come through, whether it be a kid from the streets in Nigeria or Mykhtaryan from Armenia. We already see it play out for multiple African and S. American players...

Its not about copying Europe. Your blind advocacy is what is misleading you here. Its simple objective reality

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Txj

This is not Sunday Sunday Kickabout. Current performance is determined at the Super Eagles and not at any club be it in Azberjian or EPL as you mentioned. The ability is assessed at those clubs but your performance occurs when you are in the gwg if you want to stretch that. The performance at your club be it in Azerbaijan or England can only give a clue and potential when in gwg. Given the economic circumstance, we therefore have to offer these players opportunity to prove that they are good enough no matter where they are coming from. Ejuke is not simply a poorer player than Iwobi because the former is in Russia while the latter is in England. You should know these things. If soccer is as scientific as you seem to allude, why even play the fame? We would know the result even before the ball is kicked. We would simply crush South Africa whenever we meet them since we have more players in the Big 5 than they do. Don't you think so? Bros, the Bug 5 hype us BS for selecting national team players in Africa when one considers economic circumstances.

It is similar to the BS of football education claiming that a kid who went through the football academy in Europe is inherently better than a kid who had his own football education in the streets of Sagamu. Complete baloney, I would add.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:27 pm Txj

This is not Sunday Sunday Kickabout. Current performance is determined at the Super Eagles and not at any club be it in Azberjian or EPL as you mentioned. The ability is assessed at those clubs but your performance occurs when you are in the gwg if you want to stretch that. The performance at your club be it in Azerbaijan or England can only give a clue and potential when in gwg. Given the economic circumstance, we therefore have to offer these players opportunity to prove that they are good enough no matter where they are coming from. Ejuke is not simply a poorer player than Iwobi because the former is in Russia while the latter is in England. You should know these things. If soccer is as scientific as you seem to allude, why even play the fame? We would know the result even before the ball is kicked. We would simply crush South Africa whenever we meet them since we have more players in the Big 5 than they do. Don't you think so? Bros, the Bug 5 hype us BS for selecting national team players in Africa when one considers economic circumstances.

It is similar to the BS of football education claiming that a kid who went through the football academy in Europe is inherently better than a kid who had his own football education in the streets of Sagamu. Complete baloney, I would add.

Current performance is what determines your invitation to the SE in the first place. You then CONFIRM it in the SE.

You seem confused. The NT manager has 2-3 days. The difference you see in NTs is a function of how players adapt or otherwise to international football and the approach NT managers adopt as compared to club managers.

Economic circumstances may determine the destination of an African players transfer, but his true ability is determined by his performance. And that is the same for a player from Namibia as it is for one from Peru...

The performance gap between players in the different leagues is closer as the tiers are closer. So a player in a tier 2-3 league like Denmark or Croatia or Russia will be at a closer performance level to one in the top tier, than one from Azerbaijan.

The objective decision by all managers in the globe is to wait for such players to perform their way up the glide path.
That's how it works.

The rest is for marketplace stories...

Your analogy of academies is misplaced and simply a red herring...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The football elites are at it again. TXJ and Dammy.

This is almost like the argument folks have about non FBS schools and the HBCU. The bias that most good players are at FBS schools and only scrubs go to HBCU's and non FBS schools. But every now and then teams with good scouting department unearth gems... to the point that the NFL has made a concerted effort to scout and run a combine to give such players an opportunity. It is no different from Naijaria. We have fans, coaches and lazy administrators who want already made products that are seen on International TV. Those are the only good players...

Prof. is right. Finances is the primary reason why Africans go to the 'backwater' leagues. It is not ability. We have seen our talented youth players get signed off of performances at youth tournaments but never get to play for their parent clubs because of work permit issues. These were the lucky ones... the late bloomers who either didn't make the team or made the team but weren't deemed as good, end up going to places where they can earn a living. They end up either because of poor representation or hard luck in obscure leagues...

I shudder what would have happened to Sam Okwaraji, Uche Okafor, Mike Emenalo if their quality was judged based on the leagues they played in. And those were the days without the tight labor laws that made it harder to sign players without pedigree. Imagine today where to get a work permit is a herculean task.

Again, our inability to scout for players is down to sheer laziness. Because I still marvel when I see quality players play for our youth teams (U21/U23) and wonder how did these guys avoid the radar. And most end up in backwater leagues because of the stringent nature of getting work permits... only for someone to claim that if they were good enough they wouldn't stay in such leagues for long. That is not how it works.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:16 pm Again, our inability to scout for players is down to sheer laziness. Because I still marvel when I see quality players play for our youth teams (U21/U23) and wonder how did these guys avoid the radar. And most end up in backwater leagues because of the stringent nature of getting work permits... only for someone to claim that if they were good enough they wouldn't stay in such leagues for long. That is not how it works.
A good example.

Eguavoen was in the stands watching a Nigerian league match. We were inundated with, why is he not in Europe scouting and calling player. How can be be scouting in Nigeria league. If those players are good enough, they would not be in the league. The cream would rise to the top.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:16 pm The football elites are at it again. TXJ and Dammy.

This is almost like the argument folks have about non FBS schools and the HBCU. The bias that most good players are at FBS schools and only scrubs go to HBCU's and non FBS schools. But every now and then teams with good scouting department unearth gems... to the point that the NFL has made a concerted effort to scout and run a combine to give such players an opportunity. It is no different from Naijaria. We have fans, coaches and lazy administrators who want already made products that are seen on International TV. Those are the only good players...

Prof. is right. Finances is the primary reason why Africans go to the 'backwater' leagues. It is not ability. We have seen our talented youth players get signed off of performances at youth tournaments but never get to play for their parent clubs because of work permit issues. These were the lucky ones... the late bloomers who either didn't make the team or made the team but weren't deemed as good, end up going to places where they can earn a living. They end up either because of poor representation or hard luck in obscure leagues...

I shudder what would have happened to Sam Okwaraji, Uche Okafor, Mike Emenalo if their quality was judged based on the leagues they played in. And those were the days without the tight labor laws that made it harder to sign players without pedigree. Imagine today where to get a work permit is a herculean task.

Again, our inability to scout for players is down to sheer laziness. Because I still marvel when I see quality players play for our youth teams (U21/U23) and wonder how did these guys avoid the radar. And most end up in backwater leagues because of the stringent nature of getting work permits... only for someone to claim that if they were good enough they wouldn't stay in such leagues for long. That is not how it works.

The comparison of the situation of FBS and HBCUs to football standards between leagues is laughable to the point of stupidity.

But the deeper problem with u is that u are all about meaningless posturing. One moment u are talking about "choosing players" and "oga na chance" and another u are here yarning dust!!!

Economic considerations determine where African players go. But their performance level is directly tied to the level of competition they are exposed to. And if they have true ability, they typically go up the glide path from a lower to a higher tier league.

I laugh at the egs of Okwaraji and Emenalo. None of these guys were in Azerbaijan!

Yes we have talented players, but its never been about talent. Its the development of the talent.

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:26 pm
Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:16 pm Again, our inability to scout for players is down to sheer laziness. Because I still marvel when I see quality players play for our youth teams (U21/U23) and wonder how did these guys avoid the radar. And most end up in backwater leagues because of the stringent nature of getting work permits... only for someone to claim that if they were good enough they wouldn't stay in such leagues for long. That is not how it works.
A good example.

Eguavoen was in the stands watching a Nigerian league match. We were inundated with, why is he not in Europe scouting and calling player. How can be be scouting in Nigeria league. If those players are good enough, they would not be in the league. The cream would rise to the top.

We have gone thru this rigmarole for more than 20 years!

In over 2 decades, how many of these players broke through to the SE?

A Nigerian league where players are not paid, schedules are haphazard, fitness is indeterminate, pitches are crap and clubs tither on the brink of collapse is the one that will suddenly be a factor in NT...

Too many of us are living in la la land...

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Cellular wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:16 pm The football elites are at it again. TXJ and Dammy.

How do you scout the 803 Nigerian professional footballers plying their trade outside Nigeria across 95 countries (Yes, 95 countries) in addition to the ones playing at home in Nigeria? Where do you start?

You will find the current list of players and their clubs on the link below...

https://ng.soccerway.com/players/player ... d/nigeria/
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Lolly wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:44 pm
How do you scout the 803 Nigerian professional footballers plying their trade outside Nigeria across 95 countries (Yes, 95 countries) in addition to the ones playing at home in Nigeria? Where do you start?

You will find the current list of players and their clubs on the link below...

https://ng.soccerway.com/players/player ... d/nigeria/
Tunde Adelabu had a special software device.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

txj wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:07 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:27 pm Txj

Current performance is what determines your invitation to the SE in the first place. You then CONFIRM it in the SE.

You seem confused. The NT manager has 2-3 days. The difference you see in NTs is a function of how players adapt or otherwise to international football and the approach NT managers adopt as compared to club managers.

Economic circumstances may determine the destination of an African players transfer, but his true ability is determined by his performance. And that is the same for a player from Namibia as it is for one from Peru...

The performance gap between players in the different leagues is closer as the tiers are closer. So a player in a tier 2-3 league like Denmark or Croatia or Russia will be at a closer performance level to one in the top tier, than one from Azerbaijan.

The objective decision by all managers in the globe is to wait for such players to perform their way up the glide path.
That's how it works.

The rest is for marketplace stories...

Your analogy of academies is misplaced and simply a red herring...
Abeg don't mind him and his warped logic that he refuses to even see beyond.
Lorient are about to sign a 21 year old Nigerian forward, Taofeek Ishmael, from Norwegian 2nd division team Fredrikstad. That's what we are talking about, the cream rises to the top. We saw how Tolu Arokodare was tearing up the league in Latvia and Cologne bought him only for the player not to be up to the standard. He's now finding his feet with Amiens in the French Ligue 2.
The great Samuel Etoo said that if all you think about is money in football, you will never get far in the profession. Those who make their sporting decisions based on money should focus on their primary goals and forget the SE!
Last edited by Dammy on Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy