Nigeria would’ve reached AFCON Final…

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

joao
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria would’ve reached AFCON Final…

Post by joao »

After five pages of hindsight debates on what the Super Eagles could have achieved,
we still do not have our football house in order. Wishy-washy federation leadership,
nothing definite about coaching staff and worst, getting the players to focus on qualifying,

At this rate, someone might in the next couple of weeks open a thread titled,
'Nigeria might have qualified for Qatar 2022'.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:42 am
THis clip shows Nigeria dominated the Game and CAR got a lucky one in.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Enugu II wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:00 pm
megapro wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:04 am
Ugbowo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 pm
txj wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 am Had we not fired the manager, against all rational thinking.

Having watched the games and based on what we had going for us.
- Established squad
- Great team spirit
- An established coaching team
- Established team organization
- Experience from last tournament

It would not have been pretty, but I believe this firmly.

To be clear, it’s all conjecture. We will never know if could’ve..

From my Personal experience of watching AFCON for many years, successful teams are often more functional than flamboyant. Hardworking, disciplined and balanced.

Somehow we managed to bring down the disaster we claimed to be trying to avoid…

And the worse, the disaster may not be over…
I had to do a double take when I saw the thread title and the thread author. This is very much unlike u.

I guess I see what you are trying to say about tournament being different from qualifiers but we dont have much of a sample point for Rohr in tournaments save for the last 2 he attended. WC and AFCON'19. He wasnt great at WC and was OK in 2019.

Rohr's game management was getting poorer and poorer as the games wore on. Our record since the restart in 2020 was not very good. We did not have momentum on our side so I'm wondering what team spirit you speak of?

Rohr would have had the same headache as Eguavoen. No Osimhen, No Onuachu No Etebo, Ighalo pulling out and would have had to deal with not inviting Dennis etc. There would have been so much negativity following the team. They would have struggled in the first round.

Even if we made it out, we would have had to take Egypt's path to the final as second place not as group winners. I seriously doubt we would have won the group with Rohr. Egypt's path included CIV, Morocco and Cameroon........the less said the better.

Egu's appointment took pressure off the guys. They played freely and lost when the pressure came back.

You keep thinking that AFCON is the disaster Amaju was referring to. I am telling you that the real disaster he wanted to avoid is not qualifying for the WC. He has taken a gamble and for the sake of the SE, I hope he is proven right.
Ugbowo
Sure Qualifiers are very different form competitions
And in competitions first round matches are different from knock out rounds

If you say third place finish in 2019 was 'Okay'
How will you rate bracket 14th place in 2022?
Saying 2019 was Okay also will be seeing new templates

I failed to see the downward spiral since 2020
This was our BEST WC qualifying campaign ever. With 13pts from possible 18 none had done better. Amodu's 18/18 was an earlier round
We actually won ALL our Away matches. Other coaches went to look for draws

The game against Egypt was given as a loss
We beat them with Elmeni and and some of the other starters in Asaba and Played Tunisia twice on counter

We will never Know
Mega

Neither football nor form is static. I doubt that any one, even the blind, would argue that Rohr did not produce an incredible run to qualify for the 2018 World Cup Finals. The record is clear on that. However, that has no bearing on what follows after. More recently, the ream had been clearly declining under Rohr. That us also undeniable. The decision to remove him is based on those recent results at home. It left the NFF with little hope of moving forward with a team they believed could achieve.

Mega, football is and has always been about: What have you done lately?
Last edited by megapro on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

megapro wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:15 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:00 pm
megapro wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:04 am
Ugbowo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:37 pm
txj wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:19 am Had we not fired the manager, against all rational thinking.

Having watched the games and based on what we had going for us.
- Established squad
- Great team spirit
- An established coaching team
- Established team organization
- Experience from last tournament

It would not have been pretty, but I believe this firmly.

To be clear, it’s all conjecture. We will never know if could’ve..

From my Personal experience of watching AFCON for many years, successful teams are often more functional than flamboyant. Hardworking, disciplined and balanced.

Somehow we managed to bring down the disaster we claimed to be trying to avoid…

And the worse, the disaster may not be over…
I had to do a double take when I saw the thread title and the thread author. This is very much unlike u.

I guess I see what you are trying to say about tournament being different from qualifiers but we dont have much of a sample point for Rohr in tournaments save for the last 2 he attended. WC and AFCON'19. He wasnt great at WC and was OK in 2019.

Rohr's game management was getting poorer and poorer as the games wore on. Our record since the restart in 2020 was not very good. We did not have momentum on our side so I'm wondering what team spirit you speak of?

Rohr would have had the same headache as Eguavoen. No Osimhen, No Onuachu No Etebo, Ighalo pulling out and would have had to deal with not inviting Dennis etc. There would have been so much negativity following the team. They would have struggled in the first round.

Even if we made it out, we would have had to take Egypt's path to the final as second place not as group winners. I seriously doubt we would have won the group with Rohr. Egypt's path included CIV, Morocco and Cameroon........the less said the better.

Egu's appointment took pressure off the guys. They played freely and lost when the pressure came back.

You keep thinking that AFCON is the disaster Amaju was referring to. I am telling you that the real disaster he wanted to avoid is not qualifying for the WC. He has taken a gamble and for the sake of the SE, I hope he is proven right.
Ugbowo
Sure Qualifiers are very different form competitions
And in competitions first round matches are different from knock out rounds

If you say third place finish in 2019 was 'Okay'
How will you rate bracket 14th place in 2022?
Saying 2019 was Okay also will be seeing new templates

I failed to see the downward spiral since 2020
This was our BEST WC qualifying campaign ever. With 13pts from possible 18 none had done better. Amodu's 18/18 was an earlier round
We actually won ALL our Away matches. Other coaches went to look for draws

The game against Egypt was given as a loss
We beat them with Elmeni and and some of the other starters in Asaba and Played Tunisia twice on counter

We will never Know
Mega

Neither football nor form is static. I doubt that any one, even the blind, would argue that Rohr did not produce an incredible run to qualify for the 2018 World Cup Finals. The record is clear on that. However, that has no bearing on what follows after. More recently, the ream had been clearly declining under Rohr. That us also undeniable. The decision to remove him is based on those recent results at home. It left the NFF with little hope of moving forward with a team they believed could achieve.

Mega, football is and has always been about: What have you done lately?
EII
I look at the points
The END alone matters
The last WC qualifiers I referred to was 2021 not 2018

No one did better than what Rohr did and got sacked for last year

2021 Rohr 13pts
1998 Amodu/Troussier 13pts
2018 Rohr 13pts
2014 Keshi 12pts
2010 Amodu 12pts

All played 6 games
2014 arguably weaker

What have you done lately?
He won three away games and topped with a record Nigeria WCq 13pts final round groups
He had Nigeria's nest campaign since Troussier that was also sacked for no reason
Got most points
Got best Goal difference

What else did we want?
18pts?

There are those that will always say the sack was the best solution

I personally disagree
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold