INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: INAPPROPRIATE ABUJA FANS CHANTS

Post by Igugu »

lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:45 am Also if skin color is such a taboo would it be inappropriate if I explain to someone that 'Mr X is the black guy in the team', for the purpose of showing him Mr X?
"Oyibo" has never been a derogatory word or name as far as I know in our dialects. Parents do name their light-skinned child, (boy or girl) Oyinbo. I know at least three of my schoolmates in elementary schools in Delta State whose first names were Oyibo.
On the other hand, if the name Oyibo is going to cause someone who did not grow up in Nigeria some discomfort; we must desist from using the name or word Oyibo, or referring to that person as Oyibo.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Igugu wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:43 pm
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:45 am Also if skin color is such a taboo would it be inappropriate if I explain to someone that 'Mr X is the black guy in the team', for the purpose of showing him Mr X?
"Oyibo" has never been a derogatory word or name as far as I know in our dialects. Parents do name their light-skinned child, (boy or girl) Oyinbo. I know at least three of my schoolmates in elementary schools in Delta State whose first names were Oyibo.
On the other hand, if the name Oyibo is going to cause someone who did not grow up in Nigeria some discomfort; we must desist from using the name or word Oyibo, or referring to that person as Oyibo.
The more serious point in all of this is that historically it has never argued well for any group of persons or nationals to device a name for another group of persons they are not a part of. It’s ingrained in social ethnic racial dominance and prejudice and perpetuates hatred and racism
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

First of all, give credit where you lifted the quote from instead of making it sound like you came up with it. You are not that smart. The only big word you know is fufu.

Secondly, the same source you lifted it from said it is a yoruba word used in 1407 to desrcibe the first portugese that came to that part of Nigeria. What we should do is ask hard core yourubas like yemiwoodberrybrassiere and others who first came up with the words then if they meant it as term of endearment.
Bigpokey24 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:22 pm more daft comments from all these old jobless market men .. smh .. The same Falcon lady was dancing and jubilating while being hailed by fans.. but trust losers and old men on CE crying like they are sassies.. another pathetic feel among progressive woke crowd...monkey see monkey do
Oyinbo is a Nigerian word used to refer to Caucasians. In Nigeria, it is generally used to refer to a person of European descent or people perceived to not be culturally African. The word is pronounced oyinbo in Yoruba language and oyibo in Igbo speaking areas. Both terms are valid in Pidgin English.
we have to many daft people on this forum... my goodness
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

In Igbo we also use the word Bekee to refer to a white person. Is that derogatory too? If it is, please what is the right vernacular word, Igbo, Yoruba etc. to address a Caucasian? Or maybe we have to use the English word?
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But she is not caucasian. Neither is Ekong, Balogun, Ebuehi, Okoye.
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:16 pm In Igbo we also use the word Bekee to refer to a white person. Is that derogatory too? If it is, please what is the right vernacular word, Igbo, Yoruba etc. to address a Caucasian? Or maybe we have to use the English word?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

maybe all you old jokers on this forum, do you know the Spanish word for black? smh..una are totally clueless completely
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

1naija wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:19 pm But she is not caucasian. Neither is Ekong, Balogun, Ebuehi, Okoye.
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:16 pm In Igbo we also use the word Bekee to refer to a white person. Is that derogatory too? If it is, please what is the right vernacular word, Igbo, Yoruba etc. to address a Caucasian? Or maybe we have to use the English word?
What is she? If she comes to my house in my absence and meets my grandmother, how will my grandmother describe her to me when I come back? Please explain.
Assuming she is playing for England would you say she isnt Caucasian?
Also assuming she is not Caucasian as you said, how do I address Caucasians in Igbo or Yoruba?
Additionally, what do you say about people named Oyibo by thier parents? Were thier parents discriminating against them?
Its nice when someone shoots ur murderer in the back, without asking to be paid.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Follow the discussion. The word by itself may not be offensive just as there is nothing wrong with a white person saying someone is black. That's an appropriate description of someone who is black. What you are then saying is that since it is a valid description, its appropriate for predominantly white football fans to chant black, black, black, or blackie.. blackie to their team's only black player.
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:26 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:19 pm But she is not caucasian. Neither is Ekong, Balogun, Ebuehi, Okoye.
What is she? If she comes to my house in my absence and meets my grandmother, how will my grandmother describe her to me when I come back? Please explain.
Also assuming she is not Caucasian as you said, how do I address Caucasians in Igbo or Yoruba?
Additionally, what do you say about people named Oyibo by thier parents? Were thier parents discriminating against them?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Nigerians that haven’t been exposed to the outside world can be ignorant,they were actually complimenting her but had to sing the obvious, these guys would run in front of traffic if they see someone that looks like they aren’t what they’re used to.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

1naija wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:34 pm Follow the discussion. The word by itself may not be offensive just as there is nothing wrong with a white person saying someone is black. That's an appropriate description of someone who is black. What you are then saying is that since it is a valid description, its appropriate for predominantly white football fans to chant black, black, black, or blackie.. blackie to their team's only black player.
Oyibo is not derogatory in any Nigerian language. Bekee is not too. If it were, people won't call thier daughter Ada Bekee as an endearment. Nor name thier kids oyibo. It's only you guys that are trying to wokenise the word and read negative meanings where there are non.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Again follow the arguments. First of all, people name their children Black also. So thats an irrelevant point. Secondly, no one called anyone Bekee, so all the reference to Ada Bekee is irrelevant.
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:38 pm
1naija wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:34 pm Follow the discussion. The word by itself may not be offensive just as there is nothing wrong with a white person saying someone is black. That's an appropriate description of someone who is black. What you are then saying is that since it is a valid description, its appropriate for predominantly white football fans to chant black, black, black, or blackie.. blackie to their team's only black player.
Oyibo is not derogatory in any Nigerian language. Bekee is not too. If it were, people won't call thier daughter Ada Bekee as an endearment. Nor name thier kids oyibo. It's only you guys that are trying to wokenise the word and read negative meanings where there are non.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

1naija wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:46 pm Again follow the arguments. First of all, people name their children Black also. So thats an irrelevant point. Secondly, no one called anyone Bekee, so all the reference to Ada Bekee is irrelevant.
lacidi wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:38 pm
Bekee is Igbo. Oyibo is yoruba so it's the same. They both describe a white person.
lacidi
Egg
Egg

Post by lacidi »

Also people are named Black because it is a colour. In igbo we have Ojii meaning black and ocha meaning white. These are colors. Bekee or Oyibo are not colors, they are vernacular describing Caucasian.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

This is a strange thread sha, you think you've read it all then something turns up.

People are linking Naija fans chanting oyibo to Eastern Europeans abusing black footballers. Nutin wey persin no go read for dis place.

Wen Bigpokey is one of the voices of reason in a thread, you just wonder.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:46 pm
txj wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:36 pm Cultures evolve and norms change.

It was once the culture to kill twins.

I don't know that it is racist, but it is inappropriate. Just like it is inappropriate to refer to a mixed person as 'half caste'. The equivalent contrasting term is 'blackie'...

Imagine that you were in a public space and the entire crowd was chanting 'blackie' at you. Would you consider it normal?
Killing twins was isolated to an area in Nigeria? To say, it was once a the culture to kill twins is generalisation.

Its not generalization. It was the culture and it matters not whether it was restricted to one are or not. It was the culture
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:11 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:28 am Chanting Oyibo is ignorance and racist on international standards. We wouldn't accept Ukrainians chanting blackie in an international game. Oyibo is a term used to identify sin color only.
SMDH.

Is blackie a term of endearment?

Calling someone 'oyibo' in Naija is not in any shape or form a denigration of the person.

The chanting of Oyibo is for you guys who feel that those born overseas can't be accepted by Naijarians.

The common thread here is that Naijarians love and appreciate people who play good football... she is a baller.

Its certainly not being used as a term of endearment.

I don't know that it is used in an abusive sense. But what is clear is that it singles her out by her skin color.

And I'm not sure we should be doing that...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

txj wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:33 pm

I don't know that it is racist, but it is inappropriate. Just like it is inappropriate to refer to a mixed person as 'half caste'. The equivalent contrasting term is 'blackie'...

Imagine that you were in a public space and the entire crowd was chanting 'blackie' at you. Would you consider it normal?
Killing twins was isolated to an area in Nigeria? To say, it was once a the culture to kill twins is generalisation.
Its not generalization. It was the culture and it matters not whether it was restricted to one are or not. It was the culture
It was the culture, means, it was wide spread and accepted. It was not the culture.

Try and be specific to where it was a cultural norm.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

fabio wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:41 pm

It was the culture, means, it was wide spread and accepted. It was not the culture.

Try and be specific to where it was a cultural norm.

It was widespread in SE Nigeria and a few other places in the middle belt.
And it was the culture then.

The point here is not about geography, but about how cultures evolve...

mojojojo
Egg
Egg

Post by mojojojo »

Is oyinbo really about skin color nowadays?

I think it is mostly about culture.

A nigerian raised in the west and acts like a westerner is also called oyinbo. The word is not derogatory but a general informal name for westerner.

I think there is an artist of middle eastern descent called Nigerian Oyinbo.

However by today's very sensitive standards, the word needs to be reevaluated especially if the persons being called oyinbo are not comfortable.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Please read what you wrote again, and you will see the faults therein.
First, killing twins did not occur across the landscape or all peoples of the country.
Next, Nigeria is known to be multicultural. Thus your insistent generalization that
the act is cultural is very faulty.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

Aswani wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:09 pm This is a strange thread sha, you think you've read it all then something turns up.

People are linking Naija fans chanting oyibo to Eastern Europeans abusing black footballers. Nutin wey persin no go read for dis place.

Wen Bigpokey is one of the voices of reason in a thread, you just wonder.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
Igugu
Egg
Egg

Post by Igugu »

Eaglezbeak wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:34 pm Nigerians that haven’t been exposed to the outside world can be ignorant,they were actually complimenting her but had to sing the obvious, these guys would run in front of traffic if they see someone that looks like they aren’t what they’re used to.
You are right my brother.
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:28 am Chanting Oyibo is ignorance and racist on international standards. We wouldn't accept Ukrainians chanting blackie in an international game. Oyibo is a term used to identify sin color only.
Emir.....I remember you and almost everyone on this thread using the term Oyibo wall while identifying SE defensive pairing.......is that not racist?
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........