OFFICIAL SQUAD AGAINST GHANA RELEASED

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OFFICIAL SQUAD AGAINST GHANA RELEASED

Post by Sunset »

The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:11 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 pmOne is way past his prime and has "very little" to offer us while the other is a big talent but isn't interested in playing for us so has "nothing" to offer. Both on our standby lists.
I hear ya but the difference here is *at the time* it would have been fair to assume Olise had made some sort of commitment to play for Nigeria. It's in hindsight we understand he's yet to make a decision on his international future.

Whereas, *at the time* of Onazi's standby call up we know he's well past his best.
I don't know about that, because the way our NFF is set up, almost any foreign born player (at a decent level) that shows some desire to play for the SE is guaranteed a spot in the main squad, and the fact that he only made the standby list at that time was enough proof, and was simply another example of the NFF embarrassing themselves by jumping the gun.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:20 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:32 pm
txj wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:25 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:17 pm
txj wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:00 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 pm
iworo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:09 pm

It's a NEW SEASON of STUPIDITY!!
I didnt see this same energy when Michael Olise was on our standby list :roll:

whataboutism on steroids.
Olise is one of the best young talents in Europe...
It seems you've completely missed the point.

1. Its a standby list if they were rated that highly would they make the main list?
2. Olise hasn't made clear his allegiances so without that he's not even as useful as Onazi who's in the 2nd division in Saudi Arabia

He's an inappropriate example. That's all I'm saying.
What makes it inappropriate?
Sunset,

The fact is that Onazi's invitation is a terrible decision. Standby list means he can be called upon. There is no reason to waste a spot on him because guys on that list can be called up as replacements. Are you comfortable with a possibility that Onazi is asked to replace a player?

Fact is that Egu is making some very questionable decision and it is a SHAME.
The same can be said about Musa's presence in the main team but we all know who's influencing that, so what makes you say the same doesn't apply to Onazi's case?
But for people to get so riled up over someone making a standby list is a bit weird as his chances of even making the main squad are slim to none. When we have bigger problems to sort out like our midfield set-up
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:38 pm
The YeyeMan wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:11 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:48 pmOne is way past his prime and has "very little" to offer us while the other is a big talent but isn't interested in playing for us so has "nothing" to offer. Both on our standby lists.
I hear ya but the difference here is *at the time* it would have been fair to assume Olise had made some sort of commitment to play for Nigeria. It's in hindsight we understand he's yet to make a decision on his international future.

Whereas, *at the time* of Onazi's standby call up we know he's well past his best.
I don't know about that, because the way our NFF is set up, almost any foreign born player (at a decent level) that shows some desire to play for the SE is guaranteed a spot in the main squad, and the fact that he only made the standby list at that time was enough proof, and was simply another example of the NFF embarrassing themselves by jumping the gun.
Very possibly given how poorly Pinnick/the NFF conducts themselves though I'm not privy to any discussions they had with the player (if any were had at all).
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:25 pm
Sunset wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:31 pm
I didnt see this same energy when Michael Olise was on our standby list :roll:

1. Its a standby list if they were rated that highly would they make the main list?
2. Olise hasn't made clear his allegiances so without that he's not even as useful as Onazi who's in the 2nd division in Saudi Arabia

Sunset,

The fact is that Onazi's invitation is a terrible decision. Standby list means he can be called upon. There is no reason to waste a spot on him because guys on that list can be called up as replacements. Are you comfortable with a possibility that Onazi is asked to replace a player?

E11, did someone steal your handle?
Dammy

LOL. Perhaps, one day you will understand. Keep trying. :rotf:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Dammy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:23 pm
The Eagle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:01 pm
Dammy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:52 pm
The Eagle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:10 pm
vancity eagle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:54 pm Owngoal saying the NFF is asking Egu about Onazi.

So according to them Onazi is Egus pick.

See why we want foreign coach. No foreign coach will ever pick a player like Onazi.

Absolutely criminal.
As I recall, we "lost" a match to Algeria in the CAF board room because a foreign manager picked and deployed a player who was supposed to be suspended .... which is arguably worse than what is becoming a "tradition" of Eagles managers inviting older players who used to be core Eagles, players they really shouldn't have invited, but who ultimately do not play a single minute of the tournament or match. Imagine if we lost the first leg to Ghana because Eguavoen fielded Iwobi, I mean, how stupid would that be?
The team secretary was responsible for not informing the NFF of Shehu's suspension and not the coach. Get a proper understanding of roles in the national team before commenting!
I see.

I am not sure which is worse .... your assumption that a manager is not supposed to know his player has been suspended, given the manager was present when his player picked up the applicable yellow cards .... or the fact that if it had been a Nigerian manager there would be no such presumption that he wasn't supposed to know.

Eguavoen did not call up Iwobi because Eguavoen was present when Iwobi got the red card. He did not need this guy to tell that dude to inform that chap to clear it with that bloke. Na wa o.
Ignorance can be blissfull!
.... is the sort of thing people say when they don't have a counter argument.

On this forum, and even on this very thread, ordinary Nigerian fans are discussing the player invitations to a degree deeper than what would be required for a well-paid professional manager .... who was right there when his player was yellow carded .... to be aware that the player was on a suspension.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Igugu
Egg
Egg
Re: Eguavoen releases SQUAD against Ghana

Post by Igugu »

Lolly wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:55 pm Our coaches must have a special strong drink that causes them to make boneheaded decisions.

Etebo hasn’t played competitive football in almost 6 months. Shehu Abdulahi over
Ebuehi? Collins dropped for who? Sadiq over Awoniyi? Onazi? And 10 attackers and wide midfielders as against 4 central midfielders. A typical Nigeria squad.
I totally agree with you. What is going on in Nigeria? Onazi? From out of the Blues? Onazi? When there are people much better, younger, and able to fit in the team? It blows my mind.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:00 am
Dammy wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:25 pm

Sunset,

E11, did someone steal your handle?
Dammy

LOL. Perhaps, one day you will understand. Keep trying. :rotf:
There's light at the end of the tunnel! :lol:
I am happy
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

iworo wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:11 pm Why I Recalled Onazi To The Super Eagles – Eguavoen

On Friday, Al-Adalah FC midfielder, Ogenyi Onazi was recalled to the Super Eagles, almost four years since his last callup, albeit on standby.

The decision of the coaching crew of the Super Eagles led by Austin Eguavoen has generated comments, most of which are in criticism of the decision.

Eguavoen in a chat with journalists explained the reason Onazi was invited on standby amongst many other issues.

He said the 2013 AFCON winner was invited to “pacify everybody”. Eguavoen in the chat also stated that he’s unsure if the midfielder could still play at the top level.

Onazi, good player. Whether he’s still good and can play at that level, we don’t know. But that’s why I said to pacify everybody, to ensure there’s harmony here, put him on the standby. While he’s on the standby, I have the final say.

Onazi was shockingly a part of seven players placed on standby by Eguavoen. The former Lazio and Trabzonspor midfielder was last invited to the Super Eagles in 2018.

He had since played in different countries including Finland since then where he last played before moving to the Saudi Pro League 2.

https://soccernet.ng/2022/03/why-i-reca ... avoen.html
I hope this report is fake news? Else somebody needs to sit Egu down and train him on how to "chat with journalists". This is shameful.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Brother Moses uses his media connections very well.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

SPORTReal reason I want to recall Ex-Chelsea star, Victor Moses to Super Eagles – EguavoenPublished on March 7, 2022By Don Silas

Super Eagles interim coach, Austin Eguavoen, has revealed his desire to invite Victor Moses to the national team.

Eguavoen, in a chat with journalists, said he wants to bring Moses back to the national team because he adores the former Chelsea star, adding that the winger will bring some value to the Super Eagles.

Moses, who currently plays his club football at Spartak Moscow, retired from the national team in 2018 at the age of 28.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/03/07/real-re ... -eguavoen/
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

imehjunior wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:30 am SPORTReal reason I want to recall Ex-Chelsea star, Victor Moses to Super Eagles – EguavoenPublished on March 7, 2022By Don Silas

Super Eagles interim coach, Austin Eguavoen, has revealed his desire to invite Victor Moses to the national team.

Eguavoen, in a chat with journalists, said he wants to bring Moses back to the national team because he adores the former Chelsea star, adding that the winger will bring some value to the Super Eagles.

Moses, who currently plays his club football at Spartak Moscow, retired from the national team in 2018 at the age of 28.

This guy needs to stop chatting with journalists. The same thing he did at AFCON revealing team tactics and formation at every opportunity.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:50 am Brother Moses uses his media connections very well.
What happened to Ndidi?
Seniority alone should not be the overriding factor when considering the captaincy.

Actually, a fact check actually shows Ndidi has two more caps than Simon.
Ndidi 47
Simon 45
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Lolly wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:42 am
imehjunior wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:30 am SPORTReal reason I want to recall Ex-Chelsea star, Victor Moses to Super Eagles – EguavoenPublished on March 7, 2022By Don Silas

This guy needs to stop chatting with journalists. The same thing he did at AFCON revealing team tactics and formation at every opportunity.
He talks too much
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

vancity eagle wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:54 pm Owngoal saying the NFF is asking Egu about Onazi.

See why we want foreign coach. No foreign coach will ever pick a player like Onazi.

Absolutely criminal.
As I recall, we "lost" a match to Algeria in the CAF board room because a foreign manager picked and deployed a player who was supposed to be suspended .... which is arguably worse than what is becoming a "tradition" of Eagles managers inviting older players who used to be core Eagles, players they really shouldn't have invited, but who ultimately do not play a single minute of the tournament or match. Imagine if we lost the first leg to Ghana because Eguavoen fielded Iwobi, I mean, how stupid would that be?
The team secretary was responsible for not informing the NFF of Shehu's suspension and not the coach. Get a proper understanding of roles in the national team before commenting!
I see.

I am not sure which is worse .... your assumption that a manager is not supposed to know his player has been suspended, given the manager was present when his player picked up the applicable yellow cards .... or the fact that if it had been a Nigerian manager there would be no such presumption that he wasn't supposed to know.

Eguavoen did not call up Iwobi because Eguavoen was present when Iwobi got the red card. He did not need this guy to tell that dude to inform that chap to clear it with that bloke. Na wa o.
What you wrote above (highlighted) clearly shows you are talking out of ignorance. The player in question was Shehu Abdulahi. He got the first yellow card against Swaziland, in the knockout phase before the group stage. And who was our manager then ....., the great SUNDAY OLISEH. Aren't you guys tired of blaming Rohr for everything? This was clearly and NFF administration cock-up but still Rihr has to take the fall.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 am

Absolutely criminal.
I see.

What you wrote above (highlighted) clearly shows you are talking out of ignorance. The player in question was Shehu Abdulahi. He got the first yellow card against Swaziland, in the knockout phase before the group stage. And who was our manager then ....., the great SUNDAY OLISEH. Aren't you guys tired of blaming Rohr for everything? This was clearly and NFF administration cock-up but still Rihr has to take the fall.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Of course not. :lol:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:39 am

He talks too much
For real though, how good is VM currently?
Who will he walk in and knock off the list?
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Damunk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:51 am
Lolly wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:50 am Brother Moses uses his media connections very well.
What happened to Ndidi?
Seniority alone should not be the overriding factor when considering the captaincy.

Ndidi 47
Simon 45
Seniority is not based on the number of caps but who was capped first.
I am happy
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:28 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:51 am
What happened to Ndidi?

Ndidi 47
Simon 45
Seniority is not based on the number of caps but who was capped first.
It can be either. Italy used to select the captain based on number of caps. Maybe they still do it - don't know.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 am

Absolutely criminal.
I see.

Changes nothing. The manager should still know! Good grief, why is this so hard to understand? How can the manager not know? The same way YOU managed to know Shehu had a yellow card and the exact match he got it in, even though you were not the manager .... is the same way the actual manager should know. Abi, did Oliseh phone you to tell you about it, or was it the NFF secretary that phoned you and told you? Na wa.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The more $#% that he talks the more I think he loves having a microphone or any audio device put in front of him.

At his age, he should know better...

Nobe everything way ear hear na im mouth dey tok. Especially when in such a position.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The Eagle wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:22 pm
Changes nothing. The manager should still know! Good grief, why is this so hard to understand? How can the manager not know? The same way YOU managed to know Shehu had a yellow card and the exact match he got it in, even though you were not the manager .... is the same way the actual manager should know. Abi, did Oliseh phone you to tell you about it, or was it the NFF secretary that phoned you and told you? Na wa.
Oga, I no gree with you on this one o.

There are administrative people tasked with keeping record of these things...

What I do agree is that it ought to be part of the pre-invitation and pre-game administrative check by the Manager. Asking those pertinent questions... because na Naija we dey.

But bobo thought he was working with a professional setup... he didn't know that he even has to check if the team has jerseys, if the names and numbers are correct, if they have enough jerseys, if the colors clash or don't clash, travel arrangements (make dem no book dem to arrive the day of the match and leave straight from the stadium -- it has been known to happen), etc...

Lots of things that the FA should take care of but are left for the manager to do...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Cellular wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:40 pm

What I do agree is that it ought to be part of the pre-invitation and pre-game administrative check by the Manager. Asking those pertinent questions... because na Naija we dey.

But bobo thought he was working with a professional setup... he didn't know that he even has to check if the team has jerseys, if the names and numbers are correct, if they have enough jerseys, if the colors clash or don't clash, travel arrangements (make dem no book dem to arrive the day of the match and leave straight from the stadium -- it has been known to happen), etc...

Lots of things that the FA should take care of but are left for the manager to do...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
What was that catastrophic administrative error some time in the past that cost us really dearly - not sure whether it was the Super or Flying Eagles, or which tournament that was involved.

It was so ludicrous it was actually unbelievable; but somebody somewhere made a HUGE cock-up that cost the nation big time.
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

Cellular wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:40 pm

Cellular, if you appointed me manager of the Harambee Stars today, I would immediately familiarize myself with everything I needed to know. Where are they in the qualification table? What do they need to do in the remaining matches to qualify? What are CAF's rules for tie-breakers? I would look at statistics for recent matches, especially for the qualifiers, like who has been scoring or not scoring, how many set-pieces do we get and do we score from them, how many do we give away and can we defend them, and who is on yellow card trouble if anyone, and (more importantly) who gets into yellow card trouble a lot. And I'd start looking for dual-national players with Kenyan citizenship. :lol:

Actually, I would probably research these things before the interview, so I could sound like I was ready to start on day one. You can do these things yourself if you have a computer and internet. Saying that you don't know stuff because Oliseh was there and not you doesn't make sense. I would walk into the interview ready to tell them what I thought my predecessor did wrong, that is how much I would know about what happened.

By the way, I don't exonerate the NFF from this. This is how we fail to qualify for things because nobody paid attention to CAF's tie-breaker rules .... or do nothing while CAF changes the qualification system to zonal, forcing West African powers to knock each other out.