Veteran broadcaster Fabio Lanipekun passes on days after celebrating 80th birthday

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Veteran broadcaster Fabio Lanipekun passes on days after celebrating 80th birthday

Post by Lolly »

Thanks for the memories.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Veteran broadcaster Fabio Lanipekun passes on days after celebrating 80th birthday

Post by Dammy »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:07 pm Thanks for the memories.
May his soul Rest in Peace. He was one of the very best commentators Nigeria ever produced alongside Tolu Fatoyinbo, Ernest Okonkowo, Emeka Odigbo, Sebastian Offurum etc. They were masters of their craft.
I am happy
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Veteran broadcaster Fabio Lanipekun passes on days after celebrating 80th birthday

Post by Cellular »

May his soul Rest In Peace.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

May he Rest In Peace.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dammy wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:24 pm
May his soul Rest in Peace. He was one of the very best commentators Nigeria ever produced alongside Tolu Fatoyinbo, Ernest Okonkowo, Emeka Odigbo, Sebastian Offurum etc. They were masters of their craft.
Add Walter Oyatogun to the list.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

May his soul rest in peace.

My favorite all time was Ishola Folorunso. His commentary hot me hooked to football. I have never been srar struck until imet Ishola in person and he gave me quick tutoring on running football commentaries. I later liked the work of 3 others -- Ernest Okonkwo, Tolu Fatoyinbo and Sebastian Ofurum.
Last edited by Enugu II on Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The Eagle
Egg
Egg

Post by The Eagle »

May he Rest In Peace.
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts his sails.
Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.
If you are controversial, you will lose some votes. If you are courageous, you will lose the election.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

May his soul Rest In Peace.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:50 pm
Even amongst the pioneering professionals, there were levels.
For me, undoubtedly, the cream were Ernest Okonkwo, Dele Adetiba, Yinka Craig and a couple of others who’s names I forget.
Walter Oyatogun, with all due respect, was not in their class.
In fact, he was quite poor and was famous for his goofs.

Fabio was okay but I wouldn’t say one of the greats.
May his soul RIP.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Damunk wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:16 am
For me, undoubtedly, the cream were Ernest Okonkwo, Dele Adetiba, Yinka Craig and a couple of others who’s names I forget.

May his soul RIP.
They all had their styles and personalities. He might not be as polished as the others and was famous for his gaffes. But some of those gaffes brought humour to his commentary. We still remember “the match ended 1-1 goalless draw”. It was part of the entertainment.

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:31 am
Damunk wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:16 am

May his soul RIP.
They all had their styles and personalities. He might not be as polished as the others and was famous for his gaffes. But some of those gaffes brought humour to his commentary. We still remember “the match ended 1-1 goalless draw”. It was part of the entertainment.
Yes that was one of his famous goofs but there were others when he would mix up info, like the opponents we were playing against or the scoreline…he was just so absent-minded.
It was funny -in an annoying kind of way.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

RIP
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Oh no! Very fond memories!!! May his soul rest in peace
Silver-Shadow
Egg
Egg

Post by Silver-Shadow »

You mean all those guys are no more?
No Escape
2think
Egg
Egg

Post by 2think »

Wow!

May he rest in peace.
I know I used to hear the name back then in sports commentaries. Also, the likes of Hameed Adio, Akinloye Oyebanji, Modele Sharafa Usuf, etc.
May the Lord God Bless U real Good
Akure4Life
Egg
Egg

Post by Akure4Life »

May his soul rest in peace

Yinka Craig was my favourite.

You could see how visibly drained he was when Nigeria lost a game. Yinka cried on TV several times after a game
Akure4Life

Ojota is my hood.
Aswani
Egg
Egg

Post by Aswani »

May the good Lord give those he left behind the strength to bear their loss.

An incredibly gifted journalist whose commentary you took for granted in the 70's and 80's till you heard someone else doing IICC or Water Corporation games.