Eguavoen's record in competitive games with Nigeria

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Eguavoen's record in competitive games with Nigeria

Post by Enugu II »

This was the problem i had with Mega. It all was focused on propping Rohr. Even after he posted it, he attempts to diminish it with Egu's records with junior teams. Yet we didnt get other coaches and their records with other teams. I wonder why?
Schillachi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:04 am
Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:35 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:18 pm
Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:56 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:12 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:11 am
megapro wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:49 am To be clear
the stats are just stats

When Rohr was listed as having the best winning record
it did not make him Nigerias best coach ever

The Three Nigeria NT coaches that won AFCON are all under 60%

We can look for several other things from the stats
Style? Philosophy? Opponents?

Eguavoen has the best record in Africa after 16 games AT 75%. That is remarkable
Even two unlikely losses against leaves him top at 67

After 16 games Amodu was unbeaten
After 16 games Keshi was unbeaten
Eguavoen's 3 losses in 16 cost us two AFCON and led to a third absence

Just one draw
that should show a direct approach while Amodu and Keshi are more pragmatic

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22
And people claim Keshi was our best coach ever? Hmmm.

Eguavoen’s record is impressive, though I still don’t rate him. But he can win me over if he beats Ghana and qualifiers for the World Cup.
Did or has Egu won a trophy? Bros, Keshi won AFCON and that is why he is celebrated. The likes of Egu, Rohr, etc can win as many games as they like it will mean diddly without a trophy.
Prof, does that make Roberto Di Matteo Chelsea's greatest ever manager? :idea:
Everything has to be taken in context.

Keshi being Nigeria's "greatest ever manager" because of a gold AFCON medal (and a 50% win ratio) by simple logic also means that Eguavon is one of the worst ever with a R16 exit (and despite a 75% win ratio.)
That is the irrational argument that goes in this place and which some of us are forever challenging when they say Rohr is "one of the worst" SE managers with his 'golden bronze'.
It is an argument allowed free reign and challenged only by those said to be WOWOs. :lol:

But I am sure you will agree that everything has to be seen and interpreted in the right context. But the norm here is to pick and choose when to do so.
Damunk

Possibly Egu could be except that I doubt it. Why? He has finished third at AFCON and I remember we had numerous coaches including Berti Vogts, Eto Amaechina, etc that did worse.

Would Egu be ranked among Nugeria's best? I don't see how. He never won an AFCON and so should not be in that category.

What is your rationality, may I ask? Do you rank Egu and Rohr among Nigeria's best managers? I am interested in knowing and the logic behind it.
I would rank him quite highly right now but 15 games is a little too early to reach a final conclusion.
This is why from the get-go my benchmark was 30 games which I felt was fair. There are only 4 such SE coaches with traceable records and those were the four I analysed: Rohr, Westerhoff, Amodu and Keshi.

Like you have seen from megapro's records, Keshi and Amodu were unbeaten after 16 games, YET Keshi ended up with only a 50% win ratio.
Does that now mean that had he not won the AFCON (even if losing in the final on penalties for instance) he would now be ranked as one of the worst?
The argument is just too simplistic, even illogical.

Egu is doing well, but he needs to build on that.
Megapro did not "hide' the Egu stats as dubiously claimed by The Usual Suspects. The stats were provided last year as can be seen from this thread.

I have repeatedly said that the debate is not an honest one and never has been - and the dishonesty and disrespect (not to mention the insults, overt and covert) is coming predominantly from those that argued to get rid of Rohr by any means necessary.
Abeg. megapro manufactured a 15 game threshold when Egu was under 15 games, and after the man hit 15 games, he didn't update the stats till I hounded him :taunt:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:50 pm

But you are wrong with the highlighted. What’s the criteria used to exclude all the others that have a better record than him? Amodu for example never had the chance to coach during any AFCON but he has a much better winning record that Keshi. You can’t say Keshi is a better coach than him. The stats say otherwise.
Lolly

It is obvious that you are unacquainted with Amodu's record. He never coached at an AFCON? Really?

Wasn't it at AFCON that Keshi, as Amodu's assistant, rightfully crumpled Backstabber Onigbinde's suggestions and threw it in the trash? That's when I started having great respect for Keshi!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

BTW, to me, Amodu (RIP) is the greatest Nigerian coach, ever!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Schillachi wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:04 am
the stats are just stats

Eguavoen has the best record in Africa after 16 games AT 75%. That is remarkable

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22

Eguavoen’s record is impressive, though I still don’t rate him. But he can win me over if he beats Ghana and qualifiers for the World Cup.
Did or has Egu won a trophy? Bros, Keshi won AFCON and that is why he is celebrated. The likes of Egu, Rohr, etc can win as many games as they like it will mean diddly without a trophy.

Keshi being Nigeria's "greatest ever manager" because of a gold AFCON medal (and a 50% win ratio) by simple logic also means that Eguavon is one of the worst ever with a R16 exit (and despite a 75% win ratio.)
That is the irrational argument that goes in this place and which some of us are forever challenging when they say Rohr is "one of the worst" SE managers with his 'golden bronze'.
It is an argument allowed free reign and challenged only by those said to be WOWOs. :lol:

But I am sure you will agree that everything has to be seen and interpreted in the right context. But the norm here is to pick and choose when to do so.
Damunk

Possibly Egu could be except that I doubt it. Why? He has finished third at AFCON and I remember we had numerous coaches including Berti Vogts, Eto Amaechina, etc that did worse.

Would Egu be ranked among Nugeria's best? I don't see how. He never won an AFCON and so should not be in that category.

What is your rationality, may I ask? Do you rank Egu and Rohr among Nigeria's best managers? I am interested in knowing and the logic behind it.
I would rank him quite highly right now but 15 games is a little too early to reach a final conclusion.
This is why from the get-go my benchmark was 30 games which I felt was fair. There are only 4 such SE coaches with traceable records and those were the four I analysed: Rohr, Westerhoff, Amodu and Keshi.

Like you have seen from megapro's records, Keshi and Amodu were unbeaten after 16 games, YET Keshi ended up with only a 50% win ratio.
Does that now mean that had he not won the AFCON (even if losing in the final on penalties for instance) he would now be ranked as one of the worst?

Megapro did not "hide' the Egu stats as dubiously claimed by The Usual Suspects. The stats were provided last year as can be seen from this thread.

I have repeatedly said that the debate is not an honest one and never has been - and the dishonesty and disrespect (not to mention the insults, overt and covert) is coming predominantly from those that argued to get rid of Rohr by any means necessary.
Abeg. megapro manufactured a 15 game threshold when Egu was under 15 games, and after the man hit 15 games, he didn't update the stats till I hounded him :taunt:
:D :D
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

So na you update Egypt result
megapro 2012:
Keshi should be left alone to continue his program, and seriously has a chance of casting his name in gold
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Damunk wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:53 pm
Abbey wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:50 pm
the stats are just stats

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22
You are trying your best to discredit Eguavoen's coaching prowess and poo-poo his record. Any neutral observer can see what you are up to. Just respect the man and be done with it!!
How on earth is he doing that?
What are you seeing that we are not seeing?
I see Eguavon at the top of all the charts but somehow, it is an attempt to rubbish him?
I am truly baffled.
:rotf:

Some want to see something else perhaps

I wrote this
maybe if I said best in the WORLD I will not be accused for rubbishing Eguavoen

Over a decade ago I was the only one here that kept posting Eguavoen's phenomal win rate and promoting him
A win rate that took him to top 10 in FIFA rankings 2007

Westerhof is the greatest Nigeria coach ever though few remind that Keshi achieved what he did in half the time
AFCON Gold, WC 2nd round. Westerhof's top 10 fifa ranking seals the deal

FIFA rankings debuted in Dec 1992 Westerhof took Nigeria from our debut Ranking 13th to 5th within 16 months
Eguavoen took Nigeria from 29th to 9th in the same 16 months
Alongside Shehata only 3 coaches from our region have done that

Give it to Eguavoen Abbey
megapro 2012:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:30 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:50 pm
Enugu II wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:29 pm
Lolly wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:11 pm
the stats are just stats

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22

You don start to dey twist words? I said people claim he was the best ever, not just celebrated.

Meanwhile, he is not the only coach to have won a trophy. What makes him better that the others? What makes him the best ever?
Personally, I do not think he is the best ever manager without checking additional stats but Keshi is certainly among the best. No one, bar Westerhoff, should be considered above Keshi.
But you are wrong with the highlighted. What’s the criteria used to exclude all the others that have a better record than him? Amodu for example never had the chance to coach during any AFCON but he has a much better winning record that Keshi. You can’t say Keshi is a better coach than him. The stats say otherwise.
Lolly

It is obvious that you are unacquainted with Amodu's record. He never coached at an AFCON? Really?
Apologies. My memory failed me here. How can I forget the 2010 AFCON and the horrible football that led to his sack. And 2002.

So the only reason Keshi can be said to be better is winning AFCON.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

the stats are just stats

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22

Damunk

Damunk

I think there is a pattern to Keshi's early results
I remember his disappointment when he came for the SE job interview 2010
he was not given the job
The next year no interview he was offered the job
The first person he called before accepting was Amodu
I knew at once he was going to set out like Amodu
Draw away
Win at home
if yo do that you get 50%

Rohr's record is high because of away wins

Amodu's incredible first 16 games
conceded only in two games (draws against Mexico and Kenya)
14 clean sheets! but only AFCON Bronze (apart from 2 WCQ)

Onigbinde won only 4 games for Nigeria in 18 matches
Angola,Togo, Ghana x 2
22%
He has a better AFCON Ranking than Amodu, Rohr, Tiko, Chukwu and Eguavoen
megapro 2012:
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

the stats are just stats

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22

Keshi is the greatest because

1) He won the AFCON gold.
2) Qualified for the WC and exited at the 2nd round.

The only coach comparable to Keshi is Westerhoff. He took a LONGER time to have those achievements. So Keshi trumped him using the 'fastest and best' rule.

Whatever the win ratios OBJECTIVE is to win trophies so where you stand on that journey is paramount for me.

The shortcoming of win ratios is that all matches are allocated same weight irrespective of the quality of opposition and importance of the matches. Eguavoen will have a 75% win ratio at the AFCON while someone can possibly win the AFCON with a lower win ratio.

Amodu was deprived opportunity (TWICE) of showing us what he can do at the WC. He is my favourite SE coach but objectively Keshi will rank higher than him.

Keshi and Amodu (and now Amuneke) went outside Nigeria to compete and get some credibility! A coach that can qualify TOGO for the world cup should rank among the best in the WORLD :taunt: :taunt:

And for Keshi and to some extent Amodu the win ratios started dropping when NFF started with their problems of sabotaging the team. We all know these but now pretend that it did not happen. If Keshi and Amodu got half the support provided to Rohr one can only imagine what they would have achieved with the Super Eagles.

BIG BOSS is the GREATEST :clap:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

the stats are just stats

Just one draw

Eguavoen 75
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22

Exactly! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

Eguavoen 67
Rohr 66
Amodu 65
Westerhof 57
Chukwu 56
Keshi 50
Gloria 42
Tiko 33
Onigbinde 22
megapro 2012:
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

I guess Big Sam Allarydace is England’s greatest coach with 100% record after 2 games and being forced to resign….Eguavoen is a piss poor coach who has won nothing and never qualified Nigeria for a World Cup….. I will take Amodu, Keshi, and even Amunike over clueless Eguavoen!
Egg
Egg

Post by 404 »

I guess Big Sam Allarydace is England’s greatest coach with 100% record after 2 games and being forced to resign….Eguavoen is a piss poor coach who has won nothing and never qualified Nigeria for a World Cup….. I will take Amodu, Keshi, and even Amunike over clueless Eguavoen!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

404 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:36 am I guess Big Sam Allarydace is England’s greatest coach with 100% record after 2 games and being forced to resign….Eguavoen is a piss poor coach who has won nothing and never qualified Nigeria for a World Cup….. I will take Amodu, Keshi, and even Amunike over clueless Eguavoen!
LOL. Sometimes stats can be an arse.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
megapro
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by megapro »

:D

Last month when we recorded some wins
I was accused of escaping from updating Eguavoen's record

I've done that now
megapro 2012:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

megapro wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:26 pm :D

Last month when we recorded some wins
I was accused of escaping from updating Eguavoen's record

I've done that now
Good. :clap: :clap: That is exactly what is expected. We should avouid selectiveness.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

In 2006 Eguavoen started some newbies against CIV and lost

In 2022 Eguavoes starts newbies against Ghana and loses