We made a mistake firing Rohr

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: We made a mistake firing Rohr

Post by wiseone »

Absolutely. Even then, Rohr almost got Nigeria out of that group with Argentina and Croatia. Nigeria was 4 minutes away from qualifying and only criminal refereeing (not awarding Nigeria a penalty for a blatant Rojo handball, and not sending off Rojo for kicking Iheanacho on the head) prevented Nigeria from advancing.
vancity eagle wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:30 pm LOL

Rohr's World Cup qualification in 2018, was BY FAR, the most impressive qualification in SE history. We were in a group of death, and we just breezed right through it, even got docked 3 points and were still comfortably ahead.

Have some respect.

No coach, not Amodu, not Westerhoff, not Keshi, would have qualified Nigeria out of that group with Croatia and Argentina. Yet you all wanted him sacked because we couldn't get past a 2 time in a row World cup semifinalist, and the current world cup winner. Give me an effing break. The entitlement of Nigerians is disgusting.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Algeria got 3 points, but we were docked one point, not 3.

You need to take a position and stick with it, not one day, Rohr was not good and the next day his WC was the most impressive.

Rohr's World Cup qualification in 2018, was BY FAR, the most impressive qualification in SE history. We were in a group of death, and we just breezed right through it, even got docked 3 points and were still comfortably ahead.

Have some respect.

No coach, not Amodu, not Westerhoff, not Keshi, would have qualified Nigeria out of that group with Croatia and Argentina. Yet you all wanted him sacked because we couldn't get past a 2 time in a row World cup semifinalist, and the current world cup winner. Give me an effing break. The entitlement of Nigerians is disgusting.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
gochino
Egg
Egg

Post by gochino »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm I was one of the ones that said he should be fired. And this is a funny thread to open. Because I am saying two seemingly contradictory things.
1) I believe that EVERYTHING I said about Rohr was true
2) Yet I am here saying we made a mistake.

What I am essentially saying is Rohr should have been fired, assuming we could do better (which is what we hoped for).

But looking at how our football is run, I think in our present environment, we really can't do better. Maybe slightly better. Maybe someone like Herve Renard could do slightly better, but you can't get much better under our poorly structured environment.

We took a risk to improve things superficially, we should have stuck with 'good enough'.

I don't think that Rohr is good enough for the SE in theory, but we are not in a position to get what we deserve. The biggest problem I had with Rohr was not even his ability but his defeatist mentality. Perhaps we should have just given him more training, sent him on a retreat somewhere to boost his skills.

Peseiro does not hold a candle to Rohr. I guess, next time we have a somewhat stable coach, we stick to the guy. The main focus has to be on reforming the NFF, not the managers.

You can skip the preamble above if you want.

Here is the real essence behind my argument. I think in a football organisation you have a ceiling right? A country like Sudan is not going to attract Pep Guardiola, pay his salaries on time and expect him to function at his normal level. Every country has a practical ceiling for managerial talent. What I am effectively saying is that Rohr is pretty damn close to our ceiling. As in, Nigeria CANNOT practically do much better, without reform. Significantly better managers will not come here, because we cannot afford them, even if we could afford them, we cannot satisfy their requirements, even if we go for an efficient option, we do not have the right appointments to likely find such talent, and even if we found such value for money talent, we do not have all the other inputs to get their maximum output, things like squad depth, talent pool, data, travel requirements, lodging, administrative needs etc.

I THOUGHT our ceiling was much higher, but I was wrong. It might be like 5-10% higher than Rohr. But our Floor could be like 50% lower than Rohr In Short, we made essentially a foolish gamble. We tried to get maybe 5% better but risked going 50% lower. We should have played it safe and stuck with Rohr.
Are you for real? After 5 years in charge he left us with Uzoho and no foundation to build on. Rohr is a bad coach, period.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:05 am Absolutely. Even then, Rohr almost got Nigeria out of that group with Argentina and Croatia. Nigeria was 4 minutes away from qualifying and only criminal refereeing (not awarding Nigeria a penalty for a blatant Rojo handball, and not sending off Rojo for kicking Iheanacho on the head) prevented Nigeria from advancing.

Have some respect.

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Riche007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Riche007 »

Rohr was rightly dismissed based on a combination of factors including his performance and his football philosophy.
Rohr's termination should not be confused with the hiring of another dud or the stupidity in the NFF. These are all different issues.
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge - Hawking, 1942
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Tbite wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:36 pm I was one of the ones that said he should be fired. And this is a funny thread to open. Because I am saying two seemingly contradictory things.
1) I believe that EVERYTHING I said about Rohr was true
2) Yet I am here saying we made a mistake.

What I am essentially saying is Rohr should have been fired, assuming we could do better (which is what we hoped for).

But looking at how our football is run, I think in our present environment, we really can't do better. Maybe slightly better. Maybe someone like Herve Renard could do slightly better, but you can't get much better under our poorly structured environment.

We took a risk to improve things superficially, we should have stuck with 'good enough'.

I don't think that Rohr is good enough for the SE in theory, but we are not in a position to get what we deserve. The biggest problem I had with Rohr was not even his ability but his defeatist mentality. Perhaps we should have just given him more training, sent him on a retreat somewhere to boost his skills.

Peseiro does not hold a candle to Rohr. I guess, next time we have a somewhat stable coach, we stick to the guy. The main focus has to be on reforming the NFF, not the managers.

You can skip the preamble above if you want.

Here is the real essence behind my argument. I think in a football organisation you have a ceiling right? A country like Sudan is not going to attract Pep Guardiola, pay his salaries on time and expect him to function at his normal level. Every country has a practical ceiling for managerial talent. What I am effectively saying is that Rohr is pretty damn close to our ceiling. As in, Nigeria CANNOT practically do much better, without reform. Significantly better managers will not come here, because we cannot afford them, even if we could afford them, we cannot satisfy their requirements, even if we go for an efficient option, we do not have the right appointments to likely find such talent, and even if we found such value for money talent, we do not have all the other inputs to get their maximum output, things like squad depth, talent pool, data, travel requirements, lodging, administrative needs etc.

I THOUGHT our ceiling was much higher, but I was wrong. It might be like 5-10% higher than Rohr. But our Floor could be like 50% lower than Rohr In Short, we made essentially a foolish gamble. We tried to get maybe 5% better but risked going 50% lower. We should have played it safe and stuck with Rohr.
Good and honest post. I agree with most of this but I think Nigeria still has 2 distinct options available to it when considering whether to fire a manager like Rohr

1. The ex international: We’re not Sudan. We have a crop of individuals that have been exposed to the best football has to offer. We can always choose from their ranks

2. The Westerhof model: Diamond in the rough European coach. We’ve done it before and can do it again. But they take work to find

I generally think Rohr was a good, though not a great coach. I ultimately didn’t support his firing (though I was as distressed at that last qualification series as anybody) because he had achieved his targets. And I didn’t think we should let someone go who had done that. But some of the Rohr-ian football was an eyesore, so I wasn’t sad to see him go. But we could have done better than a failed Portuguese coach. What on earth were we expecting?
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

We can all agree and disagree on the details, but I think one thing that I am certain on is that our focus needs to be primarily on the NFF.

Of course the NFF would love us to be debating LC vs FC, they would love us to be insulting Waldrum and Peseiro, they love anything that shifts the attention to the managers. It is someone else that is incompetent. They want us to vote to decide if somebody stays, as if this is some sort of game show.

No, NFF, the problem is you. Even Rohr, even the worst coaches in Nigerian history, lets say Berti Vogts, Lagerback type people, ask yourselves this, would they not have performed better if the NFF was sound? Even our best coaches, Bonfrere Jo, Westerhoff, Keshi, Amodu etc. would they not have performed even better if they NFF was sound?

So, for me, I agree we can try to get a bit better, we may find the ex international crop, we may find the Westerhof model, but at best that only gets us slightly ahead. The real focus has to be the NFF.

Nigeria is not going to get some wonder manager that solves all of our problems, because even if we do, we will derail his plans and he will be gone in 2 years. The prevailing discussion on CE should no longer be about the managers, let us lock our target on the NFF and resist their foolish distraction ploys.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

ohenhen1 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:45 pm The mistake was hiring him. We need to have standards. Don't hire coaches that don't have a track record of winning.
What’s Nigerias track record?How many top coaches want to work unpaid for months?
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tbite wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:37 pm The prevailing discussion on CE should no longer be about the managers, let us lock our target on the NFF and resist their foolish distraction ploys.
100%

KPOM
proclaimjesus02
Egg
Egg

Post by proclaimjesus02 »

2 years on now and how have we fared? :D
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

I’ve seen this many times in sports. It’s not necessarily about firing someone. It’s about who you have to replace them…

I was irritated with Rohr but I felt by and large, he had met his targets and deserved to stay. But if you do fire him, and your replacement is Peseiro, then I have to ask why you fired him in the first place
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enyi
Egg
Egg

Post by Enyi »

deanotito wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:59 pm I’ve seen this many times in sports. It’s not necessarily about firing someone. It’s about who you have to replace them…

I was irritated with Rohr but I felt by and large, he had met his targets and deserved to stay. But if you do fire him, and your replacement is Peseiro, then I have to ask why you fired him in the first place
Enough said….

Ain’t about firing Rohr it’s about who u replaced him with…

Of all the managers in the world, we picked the one that was sacked by Venezuela
The stupid neither forgive nor forget- the smart forgive- but never forget" -Thomas Szasz.

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King- Jr.

“Our Audacity to rise from our losses is what makes Nigerian the number one footballing nation in Africa - Stephen Keshi RIP

Those who don't take decisions never make mistakes."..........
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Rohr was a good coach.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

This team creates chances unlike Rhor’s team. Stop the rubbish about Rhor. The current coach is miles ahead of Rhor in my opinion. The day the players start converting all their chances or majority of the chances they creat, the tune will change. This is not a coaching problem.
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Goalgetter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm This team creates chances unlike Rhor’s team. Stop the rubbish about Rhor. The current coach is miles ahead of Rhor in my opinion. The day the players start converting all their chances or majority of the chances they creat, the tune will change. This is not a coaching problem.
It’s about wins. Pissero doesn’t win matches if it isn’t against Sao Tome.
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Synopsis wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm Rohr was a good coach.
What is his record with other national teams, apart from Nigeria?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

fabio wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:19 pm
What is his record with Nigeria?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Synopsis wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:29 pm
Nigeria made him 'good'.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

This is revisionist.

Please check the data. The rot began towards end of Rohr's era. So how then would you think he would do anything different now?
Last edited by Enugu II on Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

fabio wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:32 pm
Nigeria made him 'good'.
Why can’t Nigeria do the same for Pissero?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Synopsis wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:08 pm
fabio wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:32 pm
Nigeria made him 'good'.
Why can’t Nigeria do the same for Pissero?
Because, If it didn't dey! It didn't dey (Wike)
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

If we made a mistake firing Rohr, I don't think the mistake was fatal past not going to the WC. Our current issue is not yet another change in coach. Trust me on that. I kind of like Pisero's template - I'm not saying we are succeeding at it.
OJI
Egg
Egg

Post by OJI »

Goalgetter wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:13 pm This team creates chances unlike Rhor’s team. Stop the rubbish about Rhor. The current coach is miles ahead of Rhor in my opinion. The day the players start converting all their chances or majority of the chances they creat, the tune will change. This is not a coaching problem.
May God bless you.