Our usual weakness. Lack of real quality finishers

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Our usual weakness. Lack of real quality finishers

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Did us in and allowed England to escape.

Wha choo looking at?!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Our usual weakness. Lack of real quality finishers

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Same could be said for England and many many teams. I think we just have bad luck in big games.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:45 am Same could be said for England and many many teams. I think we just have bad luck in big games.
England didn't create anywhere near the number of chances we did.

Wha choo looking at?!
olumide
Egg
Egg

Post by olumide »

I do not think it is a lack of finishers necessarily. At the world level, current Nigerian teams have no idea how to attack when they are being given possession and are not allowed to hit on the counter. What chances did Nigeria really create after the red card? Alozie had a half chance and Oshoala did very well to create a shooting opportunity for herself, but that's it. Long balls into the forwards was never going to work against England's CBs and midfield did not break them down at all.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:45 am Same could be said for England and many many teams. I think we just have bad luck in big games.
:rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

olumide wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 am I do not think it is a lack of finishers necessarily. At the world level, current Nigerian teams have no idea how to attack when they are being given possession and are not allowed to hit on the counter. What chances did Nigeria really create after the red card? Alozie had a half chance and Oshoala did very well to create a shooting opportunity for herself, but that's it. Long balls into the forwards was never going to work against England's CBs and midfield did not break them down at all.
Na Coach fault be that. No one wants acknowledge it.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

olumide wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:59 am I do not think it is a lack of finishers necessarily. At the world level, current Nigerian teams have no idea how to attack when they are being given possession and are not allowed to hit on the counter. What chances did Nigeria really create after the red card? Alozie had a half chance and Oshoala did very well to create a shooting opportunity for herself, but that's it. Long balls into the forwards was never going to work against England's CBs and midfield did not break them down at all.
That Alozie half chance, given to a quality finisher, would end up in the back of the net, but you are right. The quality of the final ball was often lacking as well.

Wha choo looking at?!
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

We have gained so much in discipline and tactical play but our teams have lost the Naija X factor. Sometimes you need someone that can pull off the unexpected dribble and cause chaos in the box. All those crosses are bread and butter for teams like England

Anyway they tried - closest any senior Naija team has gotten to winning a WC knockout game
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

donadoni wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:25 pm We have gained so much in discipline and tactical play but our teams have lost the Naija X factor. Sometimes you need someone that can pull off the unexpected dribble and cause chaos in the box. All those crosses are bread and butter for teams like England

Anyway they tried - closest any senior Naija team has gotten to winning a WC knockout game
For sure. I just realized that now, even taking into account Naija-Italy in 1994.

Wha choo looking at?!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I said it once that we have evolved so much into a team that has become more tactically and defensively solid but at the cost of losing our flair for producing finishers which we are traditionally known for. Check the patterns of our current teams at all levels from the youth teams to our women's football; we are harder to score against but we also struggle to score goals. I think only our senior men's NT haven't been affected by this evolving football culture just yet.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Which ones exactly were. Due to lack of quality finishers? Can you remind us which ones you are referring to? There was only one very bad miss and that was from England after a Nigerian defender completely missed the ball. Maybe I missed others? Which ones?
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:28 pm I said it once that we have evolved so much into a team that has become more tactically and defensively solid but at the cost of losing our flair for producing finishers which we are traditionally known for. Check the patterns of our current teams at all levels from the youth teams to our women's football; we are harder to score against but we also struggle to score goals. I think only our senior men's NT haven't been affected by this evolving football culture just yet.
I think the team also lack skillful and silky players whom are comfortable with the ball to cause damage to England defence. I fully agree with you that we have lost our attacking football flair.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

donadoni wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:25 pm We have gained so much in discipline and tactical play but our teams have lost the Naija X factor. Sometimes you need someone that can pull off the unexpected dribble and cause chaos in the box. All those crosses are bread and butter for teams like England

Can you be more specific with the type of dribble you want? The okocha, young Cristiano Ronaldo or Ronaldinho type? Football has evolved. You might see a few step over her and there and that’s it.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:31 pm Which ones exactly were. Due to lack of quality finishers? Can you remind us which ones you are referring to? There was only one very bad miss and that was from England after a Nigerian defender completely missed the ball. Maybe I missed others? Which ones?
Alozie had at least two decent chances. One she ballooned over with plenty of time and space to find a corner. Another one she hastily shot with her left and missed the target entirely when she should have cut the ball back to her right and then she would have had more time and space to pick her spot. Not to mention all the bicycle kick attempts by Oshoala when a simple control and settling of the ball would have been better. Anyway they still did a very good job in outplaying England. Hopefully they build on this performance. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wha choo looking at?!
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

We lost on penalty kicks and you are talmbout quality finishers. mschew
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

100%Naija wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:49 pm We lost on penalty kicks and you are talmbout quality finishers. mschew
:rotf: You got a point there

Wha choo looking at?!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Agree… :agree:

With a player advantage, I thought we would be more effective moving the ball around while patiently probing for a defensive crack, rather than trying for the home-run ball. But the team played very well and was ultimately just UNLUCKY!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

100%Naija wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:49 pm We lost on penalty kicks and you are talmbout quality finishers. mschew
You did not watch the match, so you are forgiven.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

actually when you comment on any Nigerian game, the bad luck flows down to any Nigerian team. Think about it for a second, you've been shouting , complaining etc about Nigerian football etc..since then no major victories. You maybe carrying something wey dem do you yonda. I also believe your negativity and acceptance of mediocrity has cursed Nigerian football teams

Go and think about this for a second. this no be fight, just something i have observed . You be bad luck person
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

Enugu II wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:31 pm Which ones exactly were. Due to lack of quality finishers? Can you remind us which ones you are referring to? There was only one very bad miss and that was from England after a Nigerian defender completely missed the ball. Maybe I missed others? Which ones?
EII,

It was on target, the goalkeeper saved it. For me, more of a fantastic save than a very bad miss.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

3 goals in 4 games shows that we are not good at finishing. We created a shedload of chances in this tournament and we only had 3 goals to show for it.

Wha choo looking at?!
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:08 pm 3 goals in 4 games shows that we are not good at finishing. We created a shedload of chances in this tournament and we only had 3 goals to show for it.
According to Damunk, you are being negative. We also only conceded a goal in 4 matches.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:24 pm
Scipio Africanus wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:08 pm 3 goals in 4 games shows that we are not good at finishing. We created a shedload of chances in this tournament and we only had 3 goals to show for it.
According to Damunk, you are being negative. We also only conceded a goal in 4 matches.
No.
"According to Damunk", Uncle Fabio will not even mention the "shedload of created chances" but will jump to blame the coach for the poor finishing.
Major difference, and its called 'selective negativity'. :idea: :taunt: :idea:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "