DISSECTING S/FALCONS AGAINST ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA AGAINST ENGLAND

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oscar52
Egg
Egg
Re: DISSECTING S/FALCONS AGAINST ENGLAND VS COLOMBIA AGAINST ENGLAND

Post by oscar52 »

Down to 10 and England still controlled the game and almost no shot on goal by Nigeria. Pathetic defensive soccer. Colombia 10x > Nigeria in this tournament.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

oscar52 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:01 pm Down to 10 and England still controlled the game and almost no shot on goal by Nigeria. Pathetic defensive soccer. Colombia 10x > Nigeria in this tournament.
They didn’t ‘control’ the game.
Even they have never claimed that. :roll:

Maybe you need to get over your disappointment and be more objective?
It will help.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:02 pm
oscar52 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:01 pm Down to 10 and England still controlled the game and almost no shot on goal by Nigeria. Pathetic defensive soccer. Colombia 10x > Nigeria in this tournament.

It will help.
but, but

basically the same set of players we all saw from both teams at the world-cup
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:02 pm

It will help.
Uncle, if your opponent are a player down and your tactics long balls from the GK and Defence to beat win. Are you in control of the game?
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

That is false. I watched the game again. We could have done better but England were not controlling the game.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

waka-man wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:11 pm
jette1 wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 5:16 pm All that has been said about Waldrum’s super falcons unprecedented performance and effective tactics employed by the coach is further reinforced after watching combat police game the Colombians played against England earlier this morning.
After watching Japan capitulate and Columbia run out of ideas, I’ve concluded the SF were the most versatile team in tournament. The could adjust to whatever was thrown at them and play full press, low block, man-to-man and cope with any team.

They may have just need the width of a cross-bar from winning this damn thing.
I have a feeling we will look back at this 2023 Falcons team the same way we look back at USA 94 team. It's a team that a couple of breaks here and there could actually have made it all they way to finals. The Falcons are not inferior to any team in this tournament. One of either England, that they should have beat or Australia that they beat 3-1 will make it to the final or win it all.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

packerland wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:33 pm
That is false. I watched the game again. We could have done better but England were not controlling the game.
Let's agree to dissagree. When the luck of soccer smiled on you and your opponent is down to 10 players and still having more shots on goal than you and almost won the game in regulation time, then I don't celebrate that no matter who the opponent is. This same coach didn't win the women ANC. I celebrate teams like South Africa, Morocco, and Colombia that leave it all on the field. This cautious soccer where they were afraid to even tackle was hard to watch at times. They tried but let's be honest, they are not a world beating bunch. Only person I really fancy is the goalie and Plumtree. Oshoala made them worse in the England gane, she might be better as a winger than point person as she leaves the middle too open. They were not a well oiled team.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

oscar52 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:36 pm
Let's agree to dissagree. When the luck of soccer smiled on you and your opponent is down to 10 players and still having more shots on goal than you and almost won the game in regulation time, then I don't celebrate that no matter who the opponent is. This same coach didn't win the women ANC. I celebrate teams like South Africa, Morocco, and Colombia that leave it all on the field. This cautious soccer where they were afraid to even tackle was hard to watch at times. They tried but let's be honest, they are not a world beating bunch. Only person I really fancy is the goalie and Plumtree. Oshoala made them worse in the England gane, she might be better as a winger than point person as she leaves the middle too open. They were not a well oiled team.
But football as a game of strategy gives the coach reasons we all can agree on to not go all out on attack considering the opponents experience pedigree despite being a woman down and, that strategy was about choosing the best of two evils; hold your line and play for a shootout or attack and open self up & concede. The confidence in Chiamaka and her body of work throughout lends support for playing for a shootout which essentially and from empirical view point cancels all your blame because if that's what most expert coaches would rationally go for then case is closed.
Last edited by jette1 on Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

I’m not totally dismissing everything you said except the part you said they were cautious. They blitzed England from the start until the red card. Teams that are at a numerical disadvantage are not easy to play against but the team with advantage should be able to come out on top. I didn’t like the tactical adjustment to switch to long balls and move Alozie up. It would’ve worked out had Oshoala and Alozie taken the few chance they got. I won’t go hard on criticizing Randy because he has been on point with many of his tactical moves in the tournament. It is what it is but I’m proud of the effort the girls made. I just wish they had played Ireland the way they played England. But when you think about it, the Canada came they played cautious, the Australia game they got lucky and capitalized on mistakes by Australia and in the Ireland came they played 70% not to lose and bow out and 30% to win. The England game, you can see they were much crispier. I feel like the lack of training camp and friendly games played a part in it.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

His conclusion is based on ‘feelings’.
‘Controlled the game’ l’ohun-l’ohun.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

I was so impressed the way all the players swam around that Ref when she initially pointed to Penalty spot and, taunted her forcing her to go and look at the monitor unlike before when we would just timidly accept calls like that.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Abegi, England did not control the game…
But (having since rewatched the game without the tension) I agree we were UNDERWHELMING after the James red card.

I will forever give Randy Waldrum mad KUDOS for what he pulled off, for many feared the worst going in…
However, ultimately his DNA of the “prevent offense” ended up being a handicap when we should’ve seized the initiative.

Waldrum won me over with his spot-on subs and personnel decisions versus Australia…
Conversely, against England, was puzzled at same - pulling Kanu for Ordega, switching Alozie to left wing, pulling Payne, etc.

Playing against 10 tiring and tired opponents, we often would have players free all over midfield…
But instead repeatedly bypass them for the Waldrum Staple - long-ball for Oshoala (surrounded by 3/4 defenders) to chase.

Anyway, Waldrum has done enough to win me over…
For the first time in a while, dating back to the coming of Tom Dennerby, the Falcons actually looked like a cohesive TEAM!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pmBut football as a game of strategy gives the coach reasons we all can agree on to not go all out on attack considering the opponents experience pedigree despite being a woman down and, that strategy was about choosing the best of two evils; hold your line and play for a shootout or attack and open self up & concede. The confidence in Chiamaka and her body of work throughout lends support for playing for a shootout which essentially and from empirical view point cancels all your blame because if that's what most expert coaches would rationally go for then case is closed.
Dude, who gets a numerical ADVANTAGE (against tired and tiring opponents) and instead intentionally NEGATES such advantage by playing for a penalty shootout, which is a LOTTERY (and in fact, given the record of the England team in recent shootouts - during the Euros last year and this year in the friendly tournament final against Brazil, one could contend they would be at a technical and psychological ADVANTAGE in a shootout)? Hopefully, Coach Randy was NOT playing for a shootout as you posited, fir it that was the case (and there’s frankly little of substance to suggest it is), it would seriously POOR coaching.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Gotti wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:28 am
jette1 wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:27 pmBut football as a game of strategy gives the coach reasons we all can agree on to not go all out on attack considering the opponents experience pedigree despite being a woman down and, that strategy was about choosing the best of two evils; hold your line and play for a shootout or attack and open self up & concede. The confidence in Chiamaka and her body of work throughout lends support for playing for a shootout which essentially and from empirical view point cancels all your blame because if that's what most expert coaches would rationally go for then case is closed.
Dude, who gets a numerical ADVANTAGE (against tired and tiring opponents) and instead intentionally NEGATES such advantage by playing for a penalty shootout, which is a LOTTERY (and in fact, given the record of the England team in recent shootouts - during the Euros last year and this year in the friendly tournament final against Brazil, one could contend they would be at a technical and psychological ADVANTAGE in a shootout)? Hopefully, Coach Randy was NOT playing for a shootout as you posited, fir it that was the case (and there’s frankly little of substance to suggest it is), it would seriously POOR coaching.
Had we prevailed on the shootout what would you be saying about holding out for shootout ?

Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

Let's agree to dissagree. When the luck of soccer smiled on you and your opponent is down to 10 players and still having more shots on goal than you and almost won the game in regulation time[/b], then I don't celebrate that no matter who the opponent is. This same coach didn't win the women ANC. I celebrate teams like South Africa, Morocco, and Colombia that leave it all on the field. This cautious soccer where they were afraid to even tackle was hard to watch at times. They tried but let's be honest, they are not a world beating bunch. Only person I really fancy is the goalie and Plumtree. Oshoala made them worse in the England gane, she might be better as a winger than point person as she leaves the middle too open. They were not a well oiled team.

The highlighted is so pathetically false. Why do you have to lie just to put your point accross? You celebrate South Africa & Morocco who performed worse than us, makes no sense. South Africa's group was the weakest by far. What do say about Westerhoff in 1994 against Italy where Italy were down to 10 men in the 76th minute and were also a goal down but came back to score twice and win. So by your own assessment Westerhof must have been utter garbage as he also had the most talented Nigerian squad ever.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Adisboy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:27 pm
Let's agree to dissagree. When the luck of soccer smiled on you and your opponent is down to 10 players and still having more shots on goal than you and almost won the game in regulation time[/b], then I don't celebrate that no matter who the opponent is. This same coach didn't win the women ANC. I celebrate teams like South Africa, Morocco, and Colombia that leave it all on the field. This cautious soccer where they were afraid to even tackle was hard to watch at times. They tried but let's be honest, they are not a world beating bunch. Only person I really fancy is the goalie and Plumtree. Oshoala made them worse in the England gane, she might be better as a winger than point person as she leaves the middle too open. They were not a well oiled team.

The highlighted is so pathetically false. Why do you have to lie just to put your point accross? You celebrate South Africa & Morocco who performed worse than us, makes no sense. South Africa's group was the weakest by far. What do say about Westerhoff in 1994 against Italy where Italy were down to 10 men in the 76th minute and were also a goal down but came back to score twice and win. So by your own assessment Westerhof must have been utter garbage as he also had the most talented Nigerian squad ever.
You can never really make a logical case against someone who is running on feelings.
On what real basis is Oscar52 claiming that England "controlled the game"? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
No matter what you say, or even proof you provide, it's not going to work with him.

TBH, its very easy to check this thing.
All I need is my phone's stopwatch and the TV in front of me and I can tell you how many minutes out of the 30+ extra time minutes that were spent in Nigeria's half.
Or we can look at attempts on target.
O we can look at possession stats.

But the easiest one is the first one - and anyone can do it.
Don't waste your time though, because I am hoping to re-watch the game again at some point and with my stopwatch I will pay special attention to extra time when England allegedly "controlled the game".
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

jette1 wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:39 amHad we prevailed on the shootout what would you be saying about holding out for shootout ?
Yes, I would say the SAME thing…

Having numerical superiority is an ADVANTAGE…
A penalty shootout at best places both teams on PAR.

No rational contestant gives up an advantage to seek parity instead.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

Gotti wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am
But (having since rewatched the game without the tension) I agree we were UNDERWHELMING after the James red card.

I will forever give Randy Waldrum mad KUDOS for what he pulled off, for many feared the worst going in…
However, ultimately his DNA of the “prevent offense” ended up being a handicap when we should’ve seized the initiative.

Waldrum won me over with his spot-on subs and personnel decisions versus Australia…
Conversely, against England, was puzzled at same - pulling Kanu for Ordega, switching Alozie to left wing, pulling Payne, etc.

Playing against 10 tiring and tired opponents, we often would have players free all over midfield…
But instead repeatedly bypass them for the Waldrum Staple - long-ball for Oshoala (surrounded by 3/4 defenders) to chase.

For the first time in a while, dating back to the coming of Tom Dennerby, the Falcons actually looked like a cohesive TEAM!
Nnahh, how body? I hope all is well!

Other nations field young, athletic, and creative players (like Monday) to form a cohesive team while we played Madam Ordega, who wasn't even in game shape. She dragged asssss the whole freaking time.

As if the situation wasn't already nauseating, they added Mrs. Huff & Puff Desire to set the losing tone. WTF? We always find a way to trip on our collective d#$% and shittt.

Although we often hope for a moral victory when we fail, let's just come to grips and recognize that we only scored (in)and won one of the four games we played. This is why Australia and England are playing next, instead of us.

Sorry fellas, but at the end of the day, when all is done and said, a 25% success rate was a disappointing performance according to all standards. Let's all keep it objective, maybe one day we will achieve success.
You are Your Own Dog
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Gotti wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:13 am

I was not happy about the long ball tactics but now I understand why he did it because it worked against Australia. A fresh Oshoala coming off the bench to outrace a bunch of tired legs. I would’ve voice my concerns for them not scoring in extra with the numerical advantage but I won’t complain about the long ball had Oshoala or Alozie buried the one chance they got after the red card. Anyway, Randy and the girls tried and I hope to see them at the Olympics.