NIGERIA’s STRIKER DOMINANT PROBLEM NOTED (VIDEO)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: NIGERIA’s STRIKER DOMINANT PROBLEM NOTED (VIDEO)

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:59 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:42 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:59 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:21 am Unrealistic expectations is our biggest problem with all these strikers playing well at the same time. We basically have 5 strikers of top quality but we still need to develop a team out of it and that takes trial and error, time.
So where is the unrealistic expectation?
Just about everyone is saying exactly the same thing you are saying.
All that is happening is people are trying to figure out a way of making the best use of what we know we actually have.

I saw a video in one of the threads here in which some guy was talking about ‘relativism’ as a new strategy.
It is something like the Dutch ‘total football’ of the 80s.
Maybe we need to deploy it in a limited context in which instead of having ‘false 9s’, we have interchangeable ‘false AMs’ played by the real 9s which we obviously have in abundance.
But which of them can do that best, and how do we optimise them?
That’s the sweet headache.

That's all good and dandy but wait till people start calling for the coach's head after every game. Will the fan base give the team enough time to grow before they call for a new coach? As it is now, a lot of people are expecting the team to win Afcon .
Good point.
Our fans want to eat their cake and have it.
But what’s worse, they don’t even have the patience to wait for the cake to be baked.
So how can they eat cake and still have the cake that was never even baked in the first place?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Wahala.
Look at some of the best teams and how long they’ve had top quality talent but still struggle to win competitions. England, Brazil, Belgium,Italy, Germany, Neathetlands, and Portugal all have much better teams on paper than we do but they still struggle. England made Euro finals and WC semis but that’s about it for all of them over the past 4+ yrs. We’ve already set a target of Afcon semis for the coach which is attainable with the talent but the fact is that we’ll blow up shop and start over the team only gets to the quarters. Then we’ll be expecting a new coach to qualify for the WC in style.
OCCUPY NFF!!
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

jette1 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:51 am Our one sided team noted

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxVXcvFv ... BiNWFlZA==
To be sincere Nigeria has always had more depth in the attack line relative to other positions. It is same scenario with Westerhof 94 team. From Amunike, Amokachi, Siasia, Yekini, and Findi. Westerhof had to play all five at the same time.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

onovo wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:56 pm

To be sincere Nigeria has always had more depth in the attack line relative to other positions. It is same scenario with Westerhof 94 team. From Amunike, Amokachi, Siasia, Yekini, and Findi. Westerhof had to play all five at the same time.
This is true.
When we think of the ‘star-studded’ team, na those guys we remember.
Rarely do we remember others like Emenalo, Okafor, Nwanu, Ekoku, Ezeugo and Oliha.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:02 pm

This is true.
Rarely do we remember others like Emenalo, Okafor, Nwanu, Ekoku, Ezeugo and Oliha.
nah here you come hide, so you are scared to reply eh? why have you allowed danfo to yeye you like this?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

This is true.
If you listen to commentators in 94, they kept saying "Attack, this is where the Nigerians are so dangerous". Westerhof, cared less about his midfielders knocking the ball around in a bit to keep possession like Guardiola's team. Also, Okocha was'nt really really his thing, except against Italy when he needed Okocha to help him hold the ball against a ball possessive Italian side. Rather he relied heavily on Oliha, Adepoju, and Oliseh in midfield. These trio where workaholic, they win the ball move it straight to the attackers to kill you with their explosive pace and dribbling skills. Watch our goals in that era particularly Siasia's goal against Argentina. We just have to do what works by playing to our strength.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:22 pm

This is true.
nah here you come hide, so you are scared to reply eh? why have you allowed danfo to yeye you like this?
Are you his houseboy?
You’ve been acting very loyal recently.
Is he funding your daily Chinese take-aways?
Abi weytin be dis love between una?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 pm

This is true.
Are you his houseboy?
thank you for entering my trap. You've been figured out. You only come here to go back and forth, I have been polite to your posts in the last few days, I intentionally made this post and behold boom you replied with some abusive post. so predictable. carry on . you are what you are
SuperEagles

waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

This is true.
Certainly true but we’ve also had some lean years. I mean Emenike and Ighalo did well for us, but that was slim pickings. Even in 2010 when we had Martins, Yakubu, Obasi and Osaze it was still good, but not great.

Kanu played with the end of the great 94 dudes and then had Aga-wonder, and the beginnings of Martin, Utaka, Osaze.

But nothing quite like what we had in 94 and what we have now.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

olu wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 pm I agree that our high-profile players are our forwards. However, I think this problem is a little exaggerated and the failure of Rohr and Peseiro to try out new midfield options has somewhat compounded the issue. First, we have versatile forwards. Boniface can play on the left, Lookman can either play as a winger or support striker (possibly even as an AM), Ihenacho can play as a support striker, Akpom though uninvited can play as an AM or support striker.

Second, we have decent talent in midfield. Iwobi, Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, Yusuf, Onyeka, the Dele-Bashiru brothers, Nwakali, and Nwobodo are not slouches. Akinsanrimo and Eletu are up and coming midfielders that need to be exposed to the SE sooner rather than later. Remember Keshi fast-tracked Omeruo and Onazi into the SE.

Third, we also have depth in the FB positions: Aina, Osayi-Samuel, Sanusi, Ebuehi, Onyemachi, and Collins.
The question is can you win a tournament with Uzoho as your No 1 Keeper? :|
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

People on this thread are deluded.
You cannot win anything with the spine of our team
Uzoho, Ajayi, Ndidi, Iwobi
This area needs to be fortified.
If you want to have a forward line of Lookman, Boniface, Osimhen, Chukwueze, they need to be able to track back.
Team needs to defend and attack as a unit, also high work rate is needed.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Robotnik wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:11 am People on this thread are deluded.
If you want to have a forward line of Lookman, Boniface, Osimhen, Chukwueze, they need to be able to track back.
Why are you calling people deluded?
SuperEagles

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robotnik wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:11 am People on this thread are deluded.
Kpom-liciously Gbosa-gbosaristic! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Daaaas what I’ve been saying all along but they call me a hater when I say Lookman and Chukwueze cannot play together because they offer nothing on the defensive end to support the team. Finidi and Amunike were 2 way players who supported the MF and defense effortlessly regardless of formation. When you have wingers like them, your FB and MF were covered with immediate help and tactical awareness . Now they want to load the team with false 9s and strikers playing AM. Warrahel, in 2023? Any tactically disciplined average team will hang us with all the strikers we have, it’ll be 3-0 before you know it. Mscheeeew. :roll:
OCCUPY NFF!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Robotnik wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:06 am
olu wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:48 pm I agree that our high-profile players are our forwards. However, I think this problem is a little exaggerated and the failure of Rohr and Peseiro to try out new midfield options has somewhat compounded the issue. First, we have versatile forwards. Boniface can play on the left, Lookman can either play as a winger or support striker (possibly even as an AM), Ihenacho can play as a support striker, Akpom though uninvited can play as an AM or support striker.

Second, we have decent talent in midfield. Iwobi, Ndidi, Aribo, Nwakali, Yusuf, Onyeka, the Dele-Bashiru brothers, Nwakali, and Nwobodo are not slouches. Akinsanrimo and Eletu are up and coming midfielders that need to be exposed to the SE sooner rather than later. Remember Keshi fast-tracked Omeruo and Onazi into the SE.

Third, we also have depth in the FB positions: Aina, Osayi-Samuel, Sanusi, Ebuehi, Onyemachi, and Collins.
Yes. You can win Afcon with Uzoho if you have good TEAM defense. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:32 am

Our best keeper at the moment and should take over from uzoho
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

jette1 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:07 am
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:32 am

Our best keeper at the moment and should take over from uzoho

You must be drunk on poyo. A goalie that hasn’t even started his professional career is the No 1 option? Who does that? Which country do you has done that successfully?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:04 pm
Damunk wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 10:59 pm

a

This is true.
Are you his houseboy?
thank you for entering my trap. You've been figured out. You only come here to go back and forth, I have been polite to your posts in the last few days, I intentionally made this post and behold boom you replied with some abusive post. so predictable. carry on . you are what you are
So you’ve been craving my attention?
:rotf: :ohmy: :ohmy: :rotf:
Awwww.
Sorry for ignoring you.
What do you need?
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:19 pm My point is, we are not really overloaded with strikers as everyone is claiming. The fact is, we have always had strikers doing well for their clubs, but those performances have not always translated into success for Nigeria. Just a couple of years ago, we had Onuachu, Onyekuru, Ighalo, Dessers, Emmanuel Dennis, Okereke, and Osimhen all firing on all cylinders for their clubs, but only Ighalo and Osimhen were able to deliver similar performances for Nigeria.

As far as I am concerned, until proven otherwise, the only credible strikers we have for the Super Eagles are Osimhen and Moffi. The rest are just potentials. So, we do not have a striker dominant problem for the Super Eagles!
Tbite wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:35 pm
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:25 pm Are we really overloaded with strikers in the SE? As far I am concerned, only one striker is really dominant for the SE. Moffi has shown promise with 3 goals in 10 appearances For Nigeria, but the rest have been slightly better than garbage for Nigeria. Scoring 1.25 goals in nearly 500 minutes can hardly be described as being dominant for Nigeria. All our opponents need to do double team Osimhen and we will struggle to score.

It is early days. Even Osimhen nobody was raving about in for the SE in the early days. This is facts. I could prove it, but I trust that you will admit that I am being truthful. All I would have to do is dig up the threads lol.

It is early days. It is POSSIBLE that Osimhen will not end up our most reliable striker. I am not saying it is likely (I bank on Osimhen), I am just saying it is not as set in stone as many seem to think. The competition are definitely comparable. This is not a case of trying to compare Akpala to Yekini. It is more like comparing Mikel to Okocha or Sunday Oliseh or Rufai with Enyeama or Shorunmu. In short, the comparison can be made.

It is POSSIBLE that Boniface will become bigger than Osimhen for club and country. I honestly believe that, it is POSSIBLE for all our strikers to go in many different directions. What we need to do is to let things play out, rather than FORCE things. That is the Nigerian mentality of trying to FORCE positions rather than EARN it. If Osimhen becomes our greatest ever, that is wonderful, but like everyone else, he will have to EARN it. He cannot demand it.
I don't think this is like before. I can explain why with many statistics. But one clear one was that Nigeria is actually in the TOP 10 of goalscorers in the top 5 leagues! No we are not SORT OF stacked, it isn't some type of subjective opinion.

Nigeria is actually OBJECTIVELY stacked. As in we quite literally, mathemically (no pun intended re: Odegbami) have the best strikers in the world right now. I wouldn't say that was the case in the past. And all of those contributions have not come from Osimhen.

We are also among the best in the world on form (also a statistic not opinion). And I did understand your point. You said they haven't translated. Osimhen took a while to translate it... So Osimhen's so called position is not really something to flaunt in the faces of others. I think if anybody wants to go out there and compete with him, they have every right to. The way Boniface is performing does not look like child's play. He hasn't 'struggled in the SE', he is simply not starting because Osimhen was given the shot. For all we know he could have scored 7 against Sao Tome, he certainly has it in him (on form).

So yes, you have half a point. They have yet to translate it all to the pitch, but that is also not really a point. How can Boniface equal Osimhen when Osimhen was given the nod? None of these guys have actually shown that they can't hang with him, so don't speculate that they cannot. Awoniyi is still early days in. In fact this notion that club and national football is vastly different is really more of a myth than reality. A high level striker will succeed anywhere, as long as the system makes sense. Some of the players you are referring to are NOT high level strikers.

And I think someone like Boniface is looking like potentially a high level striker. Such a guy will succeed ANYWHERE. Put him in the Togo national team and he will succeed. Put him in the EPL, he will succeed. Put him in La Liga, he will succeed. We need to continue monitoring them, but all the signs suggest these are high level strikers. Gift Orban in particular is the most interesting of the bunch. He may play in Belgium, but I have watched his videos. He is the most impressive player I have seen from Nigeria right now. Tottenham were foolish not to complete the deal. His transfer value will INCREASE not DECREASE. Levy thought he was being clever, but he was being moronic. He won't be able to get Orban again even for the same price.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Nigerias problem imho is in the midfield. The team is set to play 4-3-3 but we don't have three great midfield players.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The only statistics you should go by is their performances for the SE. All of them except Orban have played for the Super Eagles. So they all have the right statistics to go by.
Tbite wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:54 am
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 3:19 pm My point is, we are not really overloaded with strikers as everyone is claiming. The fact is, we have always had strikers doing well for their clubs, but those performances have not always translated into success for Nigeria. Just a couple of years ago, we had Onuachu, Onyekuru, Ighalo, Dessers, Emmanuel Dennis, Okereke, and Osimhen all firing on all cylinders for their clubs, but only Ighalo and Osimhen were able to deliver similar performances for Nigeria.

As far as I am concerned, until proven otherwise, the only credible strikers we have for the Super Eagles are Osimhen and Moffi. The rest are just potentials. So, we do not have a striker dominant problem for the Super Eagles!
1naija wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:25 pm Are we really overloaded with strikers in the SE? As far I am concerned, only one striker is really dominant for the SE. Moffi has shown promise with 3 goals in 10 appearances For Nigeria, but the rest have been slightly better than garbage for Nigeria. Scoring 1.25 goals in nearly 500 minutes can hardly be described as being dominant for Nigeria. All our opponents need to do double team Osimhen and we will struggle to score.

It is early days. Even Osimhen nobody was raving about in for the SE in the early days. This is facts. I could prove it, but I trust that you will admit that I am being truthful. All I would have to do is dig up the threads lol.

It is early days. It is POSSIBLE that Osimhen will not end up our most reliable striker. I am not saying it is likely (I bank on Osimhen), I am just saying it is not as set in stone as many seem to think. The competition are definitely comparable. This is not a case of trying to compare Akpala to Yekini. It is more like comparing Mikel to Okocha or Sunday Oliseh or Rufai with Enyeama or Shorunmu. In short, the comparison can be made.

It is POSSIBLE that Boniface will become bigger than Osimhen for club and country. I honestly believe that, it is POSSIBLE for all our strikers to go in many different directions. What we need to do is to let things play out, rather than FORCE things. That is the Nigerian mentality of trying to FORCE positions rather than EARN it. If Osimhen becomes our greatest ever, that is wonderful, but like everyone else, he will have to EARN it. He cannot demand it.
I don't think this is like before. I can explain why with many statistics. But one clear one was that Nigeria is actually in the TOP 10 of goalscorers in the top 5 leagues! No we are not SORT OF stacked, it isn't some type of subjective opinion.

Nigeria is actually OBJECTIVELY stacked. As in we quite literally, mathemically (no pun intended re: Odegbami) have the best strikers in the world right now. I wouldn't say that was the case in the past. And all of those contributions have not come from Osimhen.

We are also among the best in the world on form (also a statistic not opinion). And I did understand your point. You said they haven't translated. Osimhen took a while to translate it... So Osimhen's so called position is not really something to flaunt in the faces of others. I think if anybody wants to go out there and compete with him, they have every right to. The way Boniface is performing does not look like child's play. He hasn't 'struggled in the SE', he is simply not starting because Osimhen was given the shot. For all we know he could have scored 7 against Sao Tome, he certainly has it in him (on form).

So yes, you have half a point. They have yet to translate it all to the pitch, but that is also not really a point. How can Boniface equal Osimhen when Osimhen was given the nod? None of these guys have actually shown that they can't hang with him, so don't speculate that they cannot. Awoniyi is still early days in. In fact this notion that club and national football is vastly different is really more of a myth than reality. A high level striker will succeed anywhere, as long as the system makes sense. Some of the players you are referring to are NOT high level strikers.

And I think someone like Boniface is looking like potentially a high level striker. Such a guy will succeed ANYWHERE. Put him in the Togo national team and he will succeed. Put him in the EPL, he will succeed. Put him in La Liga, he will succeed. We need to continue monitoring them, but all the signs suggest these are high level strikers. Gift Orban in particular is the most interesting of the bunch. He may play in Belgium, but I have watched his videos. He is the most impressive player I have seen from Nigeria right now. Tottenham were foolish not to complete the deal. His transfer value will INCREASE not DECREASE. Levy thought he was being clever, but he was being moronic. He won't be able to get Orban again even for the same price.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

1naija wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:02 am The only statistics you should go by is their performances for the SE. All of them except Orban have played for the Super Eagles. So they all have the right statistics to go by.
Tbite wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 4:54 am

Stop being disingenuous . What statistic is used to invite players that have never played for SE? Onku, Abeg leave yahoo yahoo statistic alone, e no Dey wok in football.
OCCUPY NFF!!
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Boniface is the Truth !!!

Post by vancity eagle »

We have found our missing link in the attacking third.

This guy gives us so many options in attack, there is just no way he cannot get a callup every window.

Finally we have a player who can fit into any formation.

He can play them all effectively.

He can play wide in a 433 similar to how Keshi deployed Ideye Brown. I notice he always drifts wide for Leverkusen, and he has great ball control and dribbling ability, plus he has good football IQ and can pick a pass. Definately can play wide in a 433. Only downside he is not as fast as some of our typical winger types like Chuks or Simon, bit he easily makes up for that with his other assets. He is number 3 in dribbles in the Bundesliga and already has 3 assists. Def can play wide in a 433

352 he can be deployed as the SS role alongside Osimehn. I think this will be a very deadly duo.

And finally a striker I believe can play the 442 effectively alongside Osimehn. As I noted before in a 442 your SS drops back to become a defacto AM. WITH Bonifaces dribbling, eye for passing and assists I think he is easily our best suited striker to play the SS role in a 442 alongside Osimehn.

So yeah I think it's Osimehn and Boniface in the starting lineup, whether we go with, 433, 442, 352, he fits in nicely alongside Osimehn in any 3 of those formations. Finally a striker who can give us options and play effectively in all 3 of those formations.

Pesseiro over to you.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Boniface is the Truth !!!

Post by vancity eagle »

On a separate note.

Folarin Balogun will not even smell a 28 man Nigerian squad.

He did well to play for US.

I also think when all is said and done Awoniyi and Moffi will have to play second fiddle to Boniface. I haven't even got to Orbans place in SE. He may need to try and play out wide.

As for Iheanacho, I just don't see how this guy can still be a part of this current SE.

He cannot be picked ahead of Boniface, Awoniyi, Moffi, Orban, even Tella as far as I am concerned.

Another midfielder would be more useful to SE than Senior Man.
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Boniface is the Truth !!!

Post by waka-man »

vancity eagle wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:24 am On a separate note.

Folarin Balogun will not even smell a 28 man Nigerian squad.

He did well to play for US.

I also think when all is said and done Awoniyi and Moffi will have to play second fiddle to Boniface. I haven't even got to Orbans place in SE. He may need to try and play out wide.

As for Iheanacho, I just don't see how this guy can still be a part of this current SE.

He cannot be picked ahead of Boniface, Awoniyi, Moffi, Orban, even Tella as far as I am concerned.

Another midfielder would be more useful to SE than Senior Man.
I agree.

On your first post, I also generally agree. Although Boniface’s effectiveness drifting wide is more due to the fact that he plays centrally and so drifting wide drags defences out of shape. I’m not sure I’d play him wide. But that doesn’t mean your idea of him playing in a front three can’t work. You’d just play them much closer together than Nigeria typically does.

But with Iwobi fit, and all these other attacking options, it’s really hard to see how senior man kels fits in this team.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.