Pick your 23 for AFCON 2023

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The Observer
Egg
Egg
Re: Pick your 23 for AFCON 2023

Post by The Observer »

I agree largely with the basis and the selection. However, I doubt that Moses Simon and Boniface will be dropped.
Every soul shall taste of death. And you shall be paid on the Day of Resurrection only that which you have fairly earned. Whoever is removed from the fire of Hell and is made to enter the Garden, he indeed is successful. The life of this world is nothing but the comfort of illusion – Quran 3: 185
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The Observer wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:00 pm I agree largely with the basis and the selection. However, I doubt that Moses Simon and Boniface will be dropped.
I overlooked them and have corrected the squad list
I am happy
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

packerland wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:34 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:36 pm
packerland wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:16 pm
bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:59 pm
Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:57 pm
bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:46 pm
Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:43 pm If we want any chance of getting out of the group we should drop these players! These 5 players have no business in the SE until their performance improves!

Ahmed Musa
Francis Uzoho
Joe Aribo
Samuel Chukwueze
Umar Sadiq
And Semi Ajayi.
Semi can come but he can't start!
Heck no. I would rather take Jordan T. Ajayi is crap mehn. Im so embarrassed that that guy is a Nigerian Center Back. Heck i would go with Fredricks b4 Ajayi sef.
For real. The only good thing about Ajayi is that he’s more likely to score from set piece (corner kicks). All 6 don’t deserve to make the team.

The only reason I will take Samu is if he is used off the bench like in the 80th minutes. The guy is not a starter.

I will make an exception for keeping Aribo only if Peseiro goes full retard like our previous coaches and is contemplating taking only 2-3 center midfielders to the tournament. We all know that battles are won in the trenches(midfield).
Packerland

While Ajayi is not the ideal guy, what is undeniable is that there is absolutely no one else used by Nigeria in that position that has outplayed him yet. Forget his club. That is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is what he has done in Nigeria's shirt compared to his competitors. Tell me just one competitor who has outplayed him in a Nigerian shirt?

I feel that the outrageous focus on the club is about to derail Nigeria's opportunity at the upcoming AFCON. Take an example we are using bench goalkeepers because they play in Europe and it has not mattered that they have been crap.
Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t devour Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
I had a similar discussion with E11 on a different thread. Given the time and resources we used to get Akpoguma, should we not be patient with him? As someone who has watched him a lot, especially this season, he plays vet well for Hoffenheim but seems unable to translate his club form into the national team. Ajayi on the other hand has been a substitute for WBA and got 8 minutes of action yesterday.
TBH, I do not feel confident that a CD of Ajayi and Bassey ( who still needs to learn positional play ) can deliver the AFCON title for us
I am happy
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Sunset wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:54 pm
Bigpokey24 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:11 pm The tourney starts in 2 months, i very much doubt a lot of CE can come up with an acceptable 23 for the AFCON. Goalies are the major wahala right now. For me Our Osimhen, Boniface, Orban, Awo , Lookman, Iwobi, Kele, Ndidi, Aina, Osai Samuel, Bruno, Sanusi, Onyeka, Samu, are sure bankers. the rest not so certain .
This is of course if everyone is fit and available my top 23

GK:
Stanley Nwabali, Maduka Okoye, Adeleye

CB's:
Omeruo, Bassey, Awaziem, Ogbu,

FB's:
Osayi, Aina, Bruno, Zaidu

MF:
Iwobi, Ndidi, Onyeka, Onyedika, Ifeanyi Matthew

Wingers:
Lookman, Simon, Chukwueze,

CF's:
Iheanacho, Osimhen, Boniface, Awoniyi

I might be wrong but wasn't the number increased to 28 last edition or was that a one-off?

Three points:

1. The situation in Israel will certainly affect Adeleye's chances of making the final roster.

2. I love Ogbu as well. I think that Peseiro has erred in not bringing him into the team at this point.

3. It's just 23 players per squad now.

Cheers.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Dammy wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:19 pm
packerland wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:34 am
Enugu II wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:36 pm
packerland wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:16 pm
bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:59 pm
Undertaker wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:57 pm
bret- hart wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:46 pm

And Semi Ajayi.
Semi can come but he can't start!
Heck no. I would rather take Jordan T. Ajayi is crap mehn. Im so embarrassed that that guy is a Nigerian Center Back. Heck i would go with Fredricks b4 Ajayi sef.
For real. The only good thing about Ajayi is that he’s more likely to score from set piece (corner kicks). All 6 don’t deserve to make the team.

The only reason I will take Samu is if he is used off the bench like in the 80th minutes. The guy is not a starter.

I will make an exception for keeping Aribo only if Peseiro goes full retard like our previous coaches and is contemplating taking only 2-3 center midfielders to the tournament. We all know that battles are won in the trenches(midfield).
Packerland

While Ajayi is not the ideal guy, what is undeniable is that there is absolutely no one else used by Nigeria in that position that has outplayed him yet. Forget his club. That is absolutely irrelevant. What is relevant is what he has done in Nigeria's shirt compared to his competitors. Tell me just one competitor who has outplayed him in a Nigerian shirt?

I feel that the outrageous focus on the club is about to derail Nigeria's opportunity at the upcoming AFCON. Take an example we are using bench goalkeepers because they play in Europe and it has not mattered that they have been crap.
Ajayi is serviceable. Akpoguma plays way better for his club than he does for us. Hopefully he turns it around. Ekong it looks has been phased out. Omerua is what he is and for some reason most of our past and our current coach don’t devour Awaziem. We have poor average center backs. I pray one of those u-20 boys develops real fast.
I had a similar discussion with E11 on a different thread. Given the time and resources we used to get Akpoguma, should we not be patient with him? As someone who has watched him a lot, especially this season, he plays vet well for Hoffenheim but seems unable to translate his club form into the national team. Ajayi on the other hand has been a substitute for WBA and got 8 minutes of action yesterday.
TBH, I do not feel confident that a CD of Ajayi and Bassey ( who still needs to learn positional play ) can deliver the AFCON title for us
Dammy,

Do not be surprised that Peseiro feels the same way as you as per Ajayi. However, he will probably tell you he feels worse using Akpoguma, given the opportunities he gave to Akpoguma and the outcomes. Peseiro has tried several persons and he has gone back now to inviting Awaziem and that should tell you the efforts he has made so far. If he is honest, it is clear that he is not satisfied. Ajayi is playing because no one else has shown that he is better playing for Nigeria. That is the bottomline at the moment.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics