WALDRUM SIGNS NEW FALCONS’ CONTRACT

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WALDRUM SIGNS NEW FALCONS’ CONTRACT

Post by Gotti »

Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:43 pmI was an early critic but became convinced about his impact when watching the WWC. This is a good decision by the NFF to renew his contract.
He certainly EARNED his coin during the WC… :thumb:

Which is great because continuity is generally a benefit in building long-term team success. Nonetheless, still hoping that he will recruit an attack-minded assistant, because while acknowledging coaching is a primarily RESULTS business to be honest some of the football (even during the WC) was just grim. It’s not coincidental we struggled to score, and only managed to in 1 game.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

packerland wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:10 pmFor once even the usual bias commentators weren’t just saying that our girls were physical and fast. Let the man finish the job.
iworo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:06 pmI too was initially critical of him, but I quickly recognized the impact he had on the team with a disciplined defensive style of play, even during our losses in the pre-World Cup friendly matches. For the first time, I witnessed a Falcon team playing with a distinct pattern rather than relying solely on individual skills and physical strength. Therefore, I wholeheartedly support him to continue as the Falcon's coach.
@packerland, think we’ve unearthed your “biased commentators”? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

bushboy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 pm So we can't get anyone better than a college coach? Na wa oo!!
Not the same sport, but people like you should note that 8 of the largest stadia in the world belong to US Colleges.
https://www.visualcapitalist.com/rankin ... e_vignette
Not your big European clubs, not the big World Cup and Olympic stadia, and not even the NFL teams.

College sports in the US is big business and is almost always world class at the top level.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:15 pmNot the same sport, but people like you should note that 8 of the largest stadia in the world belong to US Colleges.
Not your big European clubs, not the big World Cup and Olympic stadia, and not even the NFL teams.

College sports in the US is big business and is almost always world class at the top level.
Personally. I have nothing against Randy being a college coach (that’s probably the best we can afford)…
But what exactly has this to do with anything? Is Randy also going to become the NFF’s “business” manager? :blink:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

Gotti wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:23 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:15 pmNot the same sport, but people like you should note that 8 of the largest stadia in the world belong to US Colleges.

Personally. I have nothing against Randy being a college coach (that’s probably the best we can afford)…
But what exactly has this to do with anything? Is Randy also going to become the NFF’s “business” manager? :blink:
I would bring up similar facts if someone criticised the hiring of Coach K or Bill Self instead of an NBA Coach to be Nigeria's part time Basketball coach.

Hopefully, you can make the connection now.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

truetalk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:31 pmI would bring up similar facts if someone criticised the hiring of Coach K or Bill Self instead of an NBA Coach to be Nigeria's part time Basketball coach.

Hopefully, you can make the connection now.
Sorry, but still don’t see “the connection” with stadium sizes… :blink:

And that’s without even mentioning that the Pittsburgh Panthers women soccer team itself actually plays in front of sparse crowds in a mini-stadium (Petersen Complex).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Gotti wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 pm
truetalk wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:35 pm
waka-man wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:33 pm Whoever is tickling Gotti should leave him alone. Bobo just dey giggle anyhow and it’s making it impossible for him to say anything.
Meghan Good?
Meghan is a good laugh alright….

But not as hilarious as waka-man’s assertion of the SF v England game, where we were a player up for over 35 minutes (including the entirety of extra-time) and could hardly create any credible scoring chances, as “among the best tactical performances in the history of Nigerian football”. But perhaps he was referring to the inexplicable substitution of Ordega for Kanu, or the even more inexplicable switching of Alozie (who was already blowing out of her sitter) to left-winger with Ajibade devolving to RWB.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I’m loving how easy to amuse Giancarlo is these days. Tactically sound, we absolutely were in that game. His substitutions might have been pants and yes we didn’t take advantage of the extra player advantage. But ask the supposedly best coach in the world, Ms Wegmann, and she’ll tell you herself, she’s never been so bamboozled by a tactical set up in her career.

Which I’m delighted to know will also amuse The Don.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Gotti wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:01 pm
Enugu II wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:43 pmI was an early critic but became convinced about his impact when watching the WWC. This is a good decision by the NFF to renew his contract.

Which is great because continuity is generally a benefit in building long-term team success. Nonetheless, still hoping that he will recruit an attack-minded assistant, because while acknowledging coaching is a primarily RESULTS business to be honest some of the football (even during the WC) was just grim. It’s not coincidental we struggled to score, and only managed to in 1 game.
He tried to bring an assistant on board, but the NFF did not want to pay.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I have mixed feelings about this. Waldrum’s last 10 games going into the last WWC read as follows:

Played 10
Lost 8
Won 2 (against Costa Rica 🇨🇷 and Haiti 🇭🇹 )

That is an appalling record.

What he has in the credit bank is that his knowledge of the American university football system led him to unearth foreign citizens of Nigerian 🇳🇬 descent to play for the Falcons (eg. Onumonu, Alozie, Payne, Echegini). He also showed against Australia 🇦🇺 and England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 that he knows how to set his team up to defend deep against high quality experienced opposition and blunt their effectiveness. It was attritional football designed to bore the opposition into defeat and does not generate many goal scoring chances (which is why Nigeria scored in only 1 of its 4 WWC matches and drew 0-0 3 times in 4 games there).

He is essentially a WWC tournament coach: good for games against elite teams where Nigeria will not have much of the ball, and where his team can defend deep, absorb pressure, and counter-attack. However, that tactical approach is not much good against weaker teams who will camp on the edge of their penalty area and where the Super Falcons will dominate possession and have to break down packed defences (AKA Women’s AFCON qualifiers).
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Adisboy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:24 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:01 pm We have better coaches in Nigeria.
Like who?
Nff delivered uppercut and cutlass to O!!! Hen!! Hen!! And gotti
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Gotti wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:01 pm

Gotti, you act like the Cosa Nostra (Mafia). I can’t tell from reading your post if you’ve giving Waldrum a vote of confidence or the kiss of death. This your 1 compliment and 2 back hands get as ebi 😆
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
Adisboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Adisboy »

wiseone wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:26 am I have mixed feelings about this. Waldrum’s last 10 games going into the last WWC read as follows:

Played 10
Lost 8
Won 2 (against Costa Rica 🇨🇷 and Haiti 🇭🇹 )

That is an appalling record.

What he has in the credit bank is that his knowledge of the American university football system led him to unearth foreign citizens of Nigerian 🇳🇬 descent to play for the Falcons (eg. Onumonu, Alozie, Payne, Echegini). He also showed against Australia 🇦🇺 and England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 that he knows how to set his team up to defend deep against high quality experienced opposition and blunt their effectiveness. It was attritional football designed to bore the opposition into defeat and does not generate many goal scoring chances (which is why Nigeria scored in only 1 of its 4 WWC matches and drew 0-0 3 times in 4 games there).

He is essentially a WWC tournament coach: good for games against elite teams where Nigeria will not have much of the ball, and where his team can defend deep, absorb pressure, and counter-attack. However, that tactical approach is not much good against weaker teams who will camp on the edge of their penalty area and where the Super Falcons will dominate possession and have to break down packed defences (AKA Women’s AFCON qualifiers).

BS OVERLOAD!!!. I hope you know that's just what you have written above. You convieniently forgot the 3-0 thrashing of New Zealand just before the WC. Also in the last 10 matches who did we play? USA 2x, Japan, Colombia, Mexico. Apart from the last 2 friendlies prior to the WC (ie against Haiti & New Zealand), we played most of these matches with depleted squads due to logistics. In all but the 1st game against US all the other games were very tight despite our deplete personel. Doesn't it occur to you that playing those friendlies plus the results were part of the building process that has now produced the team we have today? Teams don't just become great over night, there's a process. The improvements were showing as we went into the WC on the back of 3 match winning streak. The fact is Waldrum hasn't had the luxury of playing many games against teams such as Ethiopia & Cape Verde. To qualify for the 2022 he had to navigate Ghana & Cote D Ivoire (both top 6 teams in Africa) at the time. In the 4 qualifying matches he won 3 including home & away against CIV. In the few he's played e.g. 4-0 against Burundi & 9-0 against Equatorial Guinea debunks your none scoring argument. The next game is against Cameroon and I hope you won't compare Cameroon to Ethiopia or Cape Verde & expect similar scorelines as that would be delusional.