AFCON Finals V Superbowl

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
AFCON Finals V Superbowl

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Even though they're not in the same time slot, It'll be interesting when the final worldwide TV ratings come out. Though I expect the Superbowl to easily get much higher ratings, I also think this will be one of the most watched Afcon finals ever.

CAF Pres Motsepe claims 2.8B people have watched Afcon so far.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg
Re: AFCON Finals V Superbowl

Post by Tobi17 »

Here in the US, it's expected for Superbowl to get a much higher rating for obvious reasons, likewise across the major sporting channels which are owned or sponsored by major American media outlets.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:39 am Here in the US, it's expected for Superbowl to get a much higher rating for obvious reasons, likewise across the major sporting channels which are owned or sponsored by major American media outlets.
Outside the US and Canada, what kind of ratings does the SuperBowl get?
I’ve NEVER watched it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

The last Super Bowl observed was at a Japanese all you can eat in Shoreditch, chilli beef ramen, bean sprouts as far as the eye could see. Tiger prawns, edamame beans and enough wasabi to turn the sweetest scented breathe to Drogon’s with a bout of flu.

Have no clue what that Yankee bull excrement is about, bunch of marigolds in helmets and more padding than a flat chest in a wonder bra. Six Nations is on if anyone wants to watch real gladiatorial conquest, line outs, scrums, bone to bone, bare knuckle. No bubble wrap. Not at all surprised they haven’t had a heavyweight of note for ages. Mollycoddled.
jungle-jawara
Egg
Egg

Post by jungle-jawara »

When you compare, my assumption is that it's the AFCON finals to the superbowl. That will be only way way for the comparison to make sense.

In the US, it's expected to have high number of people watching the superbowl, not just for the game, but also the half time commercials. So a high number is expected within the country but outside, I doubt it. The tension, the rules and the purpose of stretching a 60mins game to 3 hours (4 for Superbowl) is what isn't understood by non Americans.

On the other side of things, yes the AFCON represents the whole of Africa, but how many people who are not citizens of the country participating in the finals actually watch it? To be candid, more people watch during the group stages. As soon as countries begin to get eliminated, so also their interest in the tournament.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...super bowl is big deal in the continental USA.
It is their "football" championship final, just like we the African real football final comprising of players from all over the world of club football with one identity (country).
When I was in the service stationed outside the US, only Americans and few of their local friends watch it. In Germany, Korea, Panama.
So it will make a big splash, just like Afcon final will make huge turnout and viewership.
Thank God the times' separated. My yank friend will be watching Afcon final with me, while I'll join them later for superbowl final :biggrin:
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

AFCON that struggles to fill stadia? Compared to Super Bowl that could have more private jets at the Vegas airport than buses at afcon stadium… ok I kid. Aside from interest, there’s limited viewership opportunities to watch AFCON. Celebrity power is limited and it’s not marketed outside Europe and Africa.
Super Bowl has all of North and South America, Asia and some presence in Europe.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Damunk wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:55 am
Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:39 am Here in the US, it's expected for Superbowl to get a much higher rating for obvious reasons, likewise across the major sporting channels which are owned or sponsored by major American media outlets.
I’ve NEVER watched it.
Usher is headlining the half time show, here he’s adding Afro beats which is a first. Our own Damini aka Burna Boy is expected to show. Now Damunk will check it out….
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Coach wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:02 am The last Super Bowl observed was at a Japanese all you can eat in Shoreditch, chilli beef ramen, bean sprouts as far as the eye could see. Tiger prawns, edamame beans and enough wasabi to turn the sweetest scented breathe to Drogon’s with a bout of flu.

Have no clue what that Yankee bull excrement is about, bunch of marigolds in helmets and more padding than a flat chest in a wonder bra. Six Nations is on if anyone wants to watch real gladiatorial conquest, line outs, scrums, bone to bone, bare knuckle. No bubble wrap. Not at all surprised they haven’t had a heavyweight of note for ages. Mollycoddled.
:lol: :lol: it’s not just the game but the commercials and entertainment. Also having one of d guys dating the biggest pop star on the planet, probably more peeps have seen Taylor’s jet landing in Vegas than man on the moon.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Super bowl and it wont be close.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I’m not talking about numbers in North America alone. If you look at the viewer in Nigeria, rest of Africa and diaspora, the total viewers for Afcon should see a big jump this yr. Likely around 400m. North A,Erica population is about 400m.
OCCUPY NFF!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

You should know better than to post this here, in Eagles Nest, a forum reserved for our Eagles. On the day that our Eagles is fighting for a title? SMH.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

felarey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:28 pm AFCON that struggles to fill stadia? Compared to Super Bowl that could have more private jets at the Vegas airport than buses at afcon stadium… ok I kid. Aside from interest, there’s limited viewership opportunities to watch AFCON. Celebrity power is limited and it’s not marketed outside Europe and Africa.
Super Bowl has all of North and South America, Asia and some presence in Europe.
...I think that's superficial. I have lived in europe, asia and south america during super bowl years. You don't hear much on their daily local stations as being promoted as huge outside the USA.
Remember the NFL tried to play their league in Europe it tanked after some seasons.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:31 pm
felarey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:28 pm AFCON that struggles to fill stadia? Compared to Super Bowl that could have more private jets at the Vegas airport than buses at afcon stadium… ok I kid. Aside from interest, there’s limited viewership opportunities to watch AFCON. Celebrity power is limited and it’s not marketed outside Europe and Africa.
...I think that's superficial. I have lived in europe, asia and south america during super bowl years. You don't hear much on their daily local stations as being promoted as huge outside the USA.
Remember the NFL tried to play their league in Europe it tanked after some seasons.
The superbowl is as popular as American football and that’s all over South America. After soccer, American football fans are the most dedicated. The only guys you find out in -25 C supporting their team, the only ones camping out with fires in the parking lot. They are hardly fair weather fans. They support with all their might and resources. A one sec appearance in a superbowl ad nets you 7k usd, the commentator at AFCON may not even get that. There’s a reason a suite at the superbowl is going for 3M USD. That will probably buy you a stand at AFCON if not half the stadium. WAGs and family of players seat in the stands, even Taylor’s potential mother in law to be said she’ll be in the stands, tho Taylor and her VIP security requirements could potentially change that.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

... and it's expected to be so. However, I wonder how these two MAJOR events collided with each other
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:39 am Here in the US, it's expected for Superbowl to get a much higher rating for obvious reasons, likewise across the major sporting channels which are owned or sponsored by major American media outlets
I’ve NEVER watched it
Outside the USA, Canada and Mexico, I doubt the American football has much following than our football. However, we haven't done a good job in selling our AFCON to the world
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

felarey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:02 pm
The superbowl is as popular as American football and that’s all over South America. After soccer, American football fans are the most dedicated. The only guys you find out in -25 C supporting their team, the only ones camping out with fires in the parking lot. They are hardly fair weather fans. They support with all their might and resources. A one sec appearance in a superbowl ad nets you 7k usd, the commentator at AFCON may not even get that. There’s a reason a suite at the superbowl is going for 3M USD. That will probably buy you a stand at AFCON if not half the stadium. WAGs and family of players seat in the stands, even Taylor’s potential mother in law to be said she’ll be in the stands, tho Taylor and her VIP security requirements could potentially change that.
Felarey,

I think you missed the point, bro. The point is about the 'popularity' of the American foolball and our football [soccer].

The American football is anything and everything in the northern hemisphere, but is barely recognized when one steps away from the geographical location. Thus, the American football with its popularity, is still secondary compared to the REAL football, which is soccer
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Another post driven by severe joblessness. Do both sports have the same audience?
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:35 am Even though they're not in the same time slot, It'll be interesting when the final worldwide TV ratings come out. Though I expect the Superbowl to easily get much higher ratings, I also think this will be one of the most watched Afcon finals ever.

CAF Pres Motsepe claims 2.8B people have watched Afcon so far.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

mcal wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:31 pm
...no one say super bowl is not big draw money-wise. We are comparing viewership outside the USA. It may be big in some quarters around the world given that American citizens are everywhere, and general host super bowl parties with locals.
Dog Bruno
Egg
Egg

Post by Dog Bruno »

I’ve NEVER watched it.
Not to say it, but there’s a great chance you do not understand the game….NFL. Yes?
You are Your Own Dog
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Odas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:46 pm
Felarey,

I think you missed the point, bro. The point is about the 'popularity' of the American foolball and our football [soccer].

The American football is anything and everything in the northern hemisphere, but is barely recognized when one steps away from the geographical location. Thus, the American football with its popularity, is still secondary compared to the REAL football, which is soccer
I thought it was superbowl vs AFCON final in viewership and popularity.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

felarey wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:42 pm
Odas wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:46 pm
Felarey,

I thought it was superbowl vs AFCON final in viewership and popularity.
You are correct; however, I was comparing the American football and our football [soccer]. In all you are correct, bro. My bad, I am sorry
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved