RECORD on the Way to being extinguished.. Osimhen aims at Yekini

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
RECORD on the Way to being extinguished.. Osimhen aims at Yekini

Post by Enugu II »

I have no doubt in my mind that VICTOR OSIMHEN is and will continue to be Nigeria's most fearsome striker EVER.

I am aware that some will scream: How about Rashidi Yekini? I watched Yekini from his debut until his chapter closed. I saw him. I did not read about him or heard stories. I watched him in his early years, his peak, and his late years. Rashidi Yekini is not Victor Osimhen. Osimhen is much better and only the record books, temporarily, will prevent Osimhen from ascending to the rightful throne as Nigeria's best striker.

Image Rashidi Yekini and iconic imagery

ImageVictor Osimhen....It is a matter of time!

Osimhen is the complete deal. He is quick. He scores with his head and with his feet. He is the type of player who gives defenders nightmares the night before an encounter. The reality is that he presents a problem every second that he is on that field because of his hardwork. He is a true 110 player -- bar none. The problem now is that he is surrounded by some below average players. Nigeria needs to be better in helping Osimhen lead Nigeria to the very top of football. He continues to wait for Nigeria because Nigeria has failed him thus far.

On goals and counting? Osimhen is still 16 goals and may be three years away from Yekini’s current record. This is based on as conservative estimate of playing 10 games each year and scoring at his current clip of 0.60 per game. This means he will be breaking Yekini’s record somewhere in 2027 just after the next World Cup. We assume he will do so playing in less games than Yekini did.

Does this mean that there is nothing Victor can improve on. Nope. Far from it. Osimhen needs to become Nigeria's penalty kick taker. All other strikers use that to pad their stats. If Osimhen was to be in that position he will surpass Yekini's record in a blink of an eye.

Moreover, Osimhen is also an assist-generating machine. He is the complete forward. He creates goals for his teammates! In fact, his assist record, with less games, is higher than that total assists by each of the following: JJ Okocha, Alex Iwobi, Sunday Oliseh, Finidi George. The only players ahead of him in number of assists are Mikel Obi and Ahmed Musa and only because they each have played far more games than Osimhen. When compared to other strikers, it is not even close. Both Ighalo and Martins finished with six assists each but in more games than Osinmhen.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Projection: Osimhen's Attack on Yekini's Record
Current goals/Games = 21/35
Goals to match Yekini = 16
Nigeria No. Games per year (Last five years) = 11
Years to Match = 3 (33 games x 0.6 = 19 goals) or 2027.

Nigeria's Assist Leaders = Assists/games

Ahmed Musa = 17/111
Mikel Obi = 14/91
Victor Osimhen = 10/35
Alex Iwobi = 8/79
Augustine Okocha = 7/73
Finidi George = 7/66

Goals/Per Game (Must score atleast 15 goals)
Rashidi Yekini = 37/65
Segun Odegbami = 24/48
Victor Osimhen = 21/35
Yakubu Aiyegbeni = 21/58
Ike Uche = 19/48
Obafemi Martins = 18/43
Odion Ighalo = 16/37
Thompson Usiyan = 15/26
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Babadee
Egg
Egg
Re: RECORD on the Way to being extinguished.. Osimhen aims at Yekini

Post by Babadee »

I disagree he is more similar to Haaland in style of play. He might get close to Yekini but he will not break it.

Look at the last nations cup and this season.

Nigerians have overhyped him it has gone into his head.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...EII, dem say "soldier come soldier go", not gonna be a big deal if he does break record, but I doubt he will.
There are many factors that will contribute and affect him that he has no control over, namely the current and future NFA.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

mcal wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:04 am ...EII, dem say "soldier come soldier go", not gonna be a big deal if he does break record, but I doubt he will.
There are many factors that will contribute and affect him that he has no control over, namely the current and future NFA.
I have that fear as well but to TBH I feel that he has control of some of his appearances at these games especially the international friendlies if indeed he wants to break the record. What I fear for him most is the injuries. Nevertheless, I am surely hoping and rooting for him to break the record. It is overdue.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics