Golden Eaglets’ 19-man squad revealed for WAFU B U-17 championship

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

The head coach of the Golden Eaglets, Manu Garba, has unveiled the 19-man squad for the upcoming WAFU B U-17 Championship, as reported by Soccernet.ng.

The Golden Eaglets, boasting five-time world champions and current WAFU B U17 titleholders, will kickstart their title defense against Burkina Faso on May 16th.

Following rigorous training in Abuja, and a meticulous selection process due to MRI test results, which reduced the initial list of 51 invited players, Garba finalized the squad to meet the mandatory 19-player requirement.

The players, accompanied by their officials, are set to depart from Abuja for Accra, Ghana, on Saturday to gear up for the highly anticipated tournament.

In subsequent matches, the Nigerian team will face Niger and Togo on Sunday, May 19, and Wednesday, May 22, respectively, aiming to showcase their talent and determination on the field.

Leading up to the tournament, the team engaged in nine friendly matches, securing six victories, two draws, and one loss.

The full squad:
Adekunle Sunday Adedigba, Sylvester Chizoba Chika, Daniel Ofonime Mendie, Destiny Samuel, Abdulwaris Yunus, Boluwatife David Ekishola, Ibrahim Damilare Abdulganiyu, Edward Oloche Ochigbo, Rapha Adams, Simon Karshe Cletus, Oreoluwa Olawale Agbenla, Okorie Marvelous Chibuike, Abdulmuiz Adeleke, John Ogwuche, Qurib Adetola, Chinedu Levi Dominic, Abdulmuiz Oluwatimilehin Oladimeji, Daniel Vowero Arierhi, and Imrana Muhammad.

https://soccernet.ng/2024/05/golden-eag ... nship.html
iworo
Egg
Egg
Re: Golden Eaglets’ 19-man squad revealed for WAFU B U-17 championship

Post by iworo »

Wow, what's happening with all these names....Abdulganiyu....Karshe Cletus...Abdulmuiz....Qurib...Vowero Arierhi? Are traditional names evolving in Nigeria, or are these just editor's typos? I've never come across some of these Nigerian names before.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

iworo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:35 pm Wow, what's happening with all these names....Abdulganiyu....Karshe Cletus...Abdulmuiz....Qurib...Vowero Arierhi? Are traditional names evolving in Nigeria, or are these just editor's typos? I've never come across some of these Nigerian names before.

TALKING ABOUT NAMES (not a big deal) but I wish Nigeria would adopt and settle for a fornat of presenting names so readers know which are the first, middle and last names. I'm certain the names above do not follow any pattern.
Bell
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Bell wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 am
iworo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:35 pm Wow, what's happening with all these names....Abdulganiyu....Karshe Cletus...Abdulmuiz....Qurib...Vowero Arierhi? Are traditional names evolving in Nigeria, or are these just editor's typos? I've never come across some of these Nigerian names before.

TALKING ABOUT NAMES (not a big deal) but I wish Nigeria would adopt and settle for a fornat of presenting names so readers know which are the first, middle and last names. I'm certain the names above do not follow any pattern.
Bell
The traditional Nigerian convention is last-name first-name middle-name🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:47 am
Bell wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:21 am

Bell
The traditional Nigerian convention is last-name first-name middle-name🤔❗️

Cheers.
YEAH...I just wish the press follows it strictly so we know how to address them.
Bell
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

We wish Coach Manu and his boys all the best ! Though preparation was shoddy !
onovo
Egg
Egg

Post by onovo »

We wish Coach Manu and his boys all the best ! Though preparation was shoddy !