Why Boniface is critical v RSA

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Why Boniface is critical v RSA

Post by Enugu II »

Victor Boniface has been a good club player but has been far from his club form when playing in Nigeria's shirt. However, he has the potential to be a decisive factor in the qualifier against South Africa. Why?

1. He has the vision and can be the partner that Victor Osimhen needs up front particularly in the South Africa game where Nigeria will or should see more of the ball.

2. Finidi's struggle to convert the players that Nigeria previously used wide into central forwards can be easily solved with the entrance of Boniface next to Victor.

3. I am not exactly sure why Boniface has underwhelmed in a Nigerian shirt but he has a chance, in front of the home fans, to explode.

I look forward to this game as tge coming out party for Boniface. Under Finidi, he has a structure that accommodates his style. If he cannot deliver in that structure, he will have himself to blame.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why Boniface is critical v RSA

Post by vancity eagle »

EII

To say Boniface has underwhelmed in SE shirt may be a bit premature.

He hasn't played that much tbh, although it's true he never really stood out.

Remember that Lookman had a much longer run of games without really catching fire, and now he was probably the best player at the afcon other than Troost.

Boniface should come good. We just need to be patient with players we KNOW have quality.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

I don't know about critical but we need him
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

vancity eagle wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:09 am EII

To say Boniface has underwhelmed in SE shirt may be a bit premature.

He hasn't played that much tbh, although it's true he never really stood out.

Remember that Lookman had a much longer run of games without really catching fire, and now he was probably the best player at the afcon other than Troost.

Boniface should come good. We just need to be patient with players we KNOW have quality.
VE

I can only judge him by his play so far in a Nigerian shirt. He has not been close to what one has seen him do at the club level. By definition, that is underwhelming.

My hope is that he comes good soon. I feel that pairing him with Osimhen at home against South Africa may be his coming out party hence this post. Nigeria will be on the front foot and he can be a key upfront with Osimhen.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Is there any other team in the world playing 2 no 9s successfully anywhere in the world ?
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 pm Is there any other team in the world playing 2 no 9s successfully anywhere in the world ?
Emir,

Look around, there are a few teams that use it. However, in my view, one just does not copy a structure wily-nily. You use a structure because of the personnel in the squad. It is not news that Nigeria is top heavy in strikers that are highly reputed world wide. The challenge therefore is how to integrate a system that works given that abundance and ensuring that the integration does not generate a weakness. That is the challenge.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

The Red Devils of Nigeria. Uncle EII is stuck in the 1960s.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:18 pm Is there any other team in the world playing 2 no 9s successfully anywhere in the world ?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:30 pm
Emir,

Look around, there are a few teams that use it. However, in my view, one just does not copy a structure wily-nily. You use a structure because of the personnel in the squad. It is not news that Nigeria is top heavy in strikers that are highly reputed world wide. The challenge therefore is how to integrate a system that works given that abundance and ensuring that the integration does not generate a weakness. That is the challenge.
Pls name the teams starting with 2 No 9s. I don’t know of any.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:03 pm
Emir,

Emir,

Touchel and Simeone used two strikers at times. However, I frankly do not care. You do not wait until you have a current example. It is your particular personnel and your ability to visualize possibilities that should dictate what you use and not depend on copying blindly. Currently, Nigeria has an overload of attacking talent. Thus, the idea is to visualize how best to use that talent without compromising the defensive aspects of the game.

Here is a link, a few years ago, indicating its use. https://www.goal.com/en/news/rise-strik ... qpvo7mhtttThe key point is, in my view, personnel-fit and not merely asking who uses it. For me the question should not be who uses it BUT if they are not using it, why?

If you ask that question, it will give you an idea why Finidi is favorable towards its deployment and the adjustment that he has done personnel-wise in the wide areas in order to cover for its weaknesses.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:15 pm
Emir,

Emir,

Touchel and Simeone used two strikers at times. However, I frankly do not care. You do not wait until you have a current example. It is your particular personnel and your ability to visualize possibilities that should dictate what you use and not depend on copying blindly. Currently, Nigeria has an overload of attacking talent. Thus, the idea is to visualize how best to use that talent without compromising the defensive aspects of the game.
Noted. I might be wrong but Whenever 2 strikers are deployed , one is usually a support striker. What's less common is a right side and left side striker, 1 is always expected to drop deep to mf in recovery. The 2 striker formation might get us past SA but if the objective is to do well at the WC it'll certainly be exploited by better teams that'll dominate the ball against us. I guess we can deal with that when we get there.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:25 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:15 pm
Emir,

Emir,

Noted. I might be wrong but Whenever 2 strikers are deployed , one is usually a support striker. What's less common is a right side and left side striker, 1 is always expected to drop deep to mf in recovery. The 2 striker formation might get us past SA but if the objective is to do well at the WC it'll certainly be exploited by better teams that'll dominate the ball against us. I guess we can deal with that when we get there.
Emir,

Okay, I understand your point. Yep, you may classify the second as a support striker i.e. that such a support striker falls back further in defense when the team does not have the ball. See my interpretation earlier about the SE on this. Note my earlier take that defensively, the formation morphs into a 5-4-1.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Even NIgeria used Ideye Brown and Emenike in 2013 successfully. It can work. You need mobile strikers that like to run and like to create chances. Both Osimhen and Boniface are good at that.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

ohenhen1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:31 pm Even NIgeria used Ideye Brown and Emenike in 2013 successfully. It can work. You need mobile strikers that like to run and like to create chances. Both Osimhen and Boniface are good at that.
Boniface is not a high work rate striker, he’s no Ideye Brown, not even close. Amokachi and Ideye could play SS because of their high work rate. Vic will have to be the support striker in this case. Another false equivalency.
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:51 pm
ohenhen1 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:31 pm Even NIgeria used Ideye Brown and Emenike in 2013 successfully. It can work. You need mobile strikers that like to run and like to create chances. Both Osimhen and Boniface are good at that.
Boniface is not a high work rate striker, he’s no Ideye Brown, not even close. Amokachi and Ideye could play SS because of their high work rate. Vic will have to be the support striker in this case. Another false equivalency.

I agree with EII.

You structure your team according to the personnel you have. We have two top strikers and it makes perfect sense to build around that.

But the key issue is how you organize the rest of the team to ensure balance in all phases of the game.

One way IMO is to play Iwobi on the right or Tella, ahead of two #6s. But the weakness is the lack of a more technical player in CM and better quality FBs.
Last edited by txj on Sun May 12, 2024 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

In fact Nigeria 🇳🇬 can start with Boniface and Tella on with Oshimen as they do with Hoffmann at Leverkusen.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:00 pm

I agree with EII.

You structure your team according to the personnel you have. We have two top strikers and it makes perfect sense to build around that.

But the key issue is how you organize the rest of the team to ensure balance in all phases of the game.

One way IMO is to play Iwobi on the right or Tella, ahead of two #6s. But the weakness is the lack of a more technical player in CM and better quality FBs.
Another point that's been overlooked is that both Vic and Boniface will be asked to play in positions they're not used to. Neither plays in a system that features 2 strikers, the chances of getting a different performance from them is very high. I don't think we should take such a risk in a crucial game. I'd start Vic, Lookman and Chukwueze in front and bring on Boniface as needed in the 2nd. If we have to start both it should be a 4411 with Boniface having a free role. With Iwobi, Ndidi,Onyeka in mf and lookman advanced on the left.
OCCUPY NFF!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:10 pm

I agree with EII.

Another point that's been overlooked is that both Vic and Boniface will be asked to play in positions they're not used to. Neither plays in a system that features 2 strikers, the chances of getting a different performance from them is very high. I don't think we should take such a risk in a crucial game. I'd start Vic, Lookman and Chukwueze in front and bring on Boniface as needed in the 2nd. If we have to start both it should be a 4411 with Boniface having a free role. With Iwobi, Ndidi,Onyeka in mf and lookman advanced on the left.

Boniface is playing with a second striker at this very moment 😳

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:38 am Victor Boniface has been a good club player but has been far from his club form when playing in Nigeria's shirt.

I am not exactly sure why Boniface has underwhelmed in a Nigerian shirt but he has a chance, in front of the home fans, to explode.
How many games has Boniface played for Nigeria?
As far as I can remember he was always coming from the bench in the five games he has played, and yet has one goal to his name.
He only had one 90 minutes game against Lesotho.
It's way too premature to say he has underwhelmed in a Nigerian shirt.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:23 pm
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:10 pm

I agree with EII.

Boniface is playing with a second striker at this very moment 😳
Was about to point that out.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

If we stick with any variation of the 2 striker system, Lookman is actually the perfect foil for Victor.

If finidi sticks w his 3-5-2, Lookman's versatility can see him creating combinations all over the pitch w Iwobi being his main partner and Osi at the end of the moves.

Boniface is recovering from a long lay off. I say he's better off coming off the bench for us.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ugbowo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 pm If we stick with any variation of the 2 striker system, Lookman is actually the perfect foil for Victor.

If finidi sticks w his 3-5-2, Lookman's versatility can see him creating combinations all over the pitch w Iwobi being his main partner and Osi at the end of the moves.

Boniface is recovering from a long lay off. I say he's better off coming off the bench for us.
Kpom-digity Kpom! That's what I'm talking about. Why start 2 strikers who do not compliment each other and have similar strengths? Lookman is indeed perfect as a SS playing just behind Vic. It also allows you to finally have a real mf and a team that has players in their natural positions.

442/4411

Vic
Lookman

Iwobi. Ndidi/ Onyedika. Onyeka Tella

There you have it. Solid solid attack and the mf is solid too with roles clearly defined Boniface can come on in the 2nd half if we need goals for 1 of the mf . If we're up big and need to protect the goal , we can bring on an additional CD for a wing to set up the bus in a 541.
OCCUPY NFF!!
ugly boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ugly boy »

So for a crucial qualifier bench Lookman who is on form and has a partnership with Osimhen for an experiment to fit in Boniface. I hope Finidi does not think like this
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:58 pm If we stick with any variation of the 2 striker system, Lookman is actually the perfect foil for Victor.

I fully understand your point re Boniface wrt his long layoff, but a partnership is quite plausible as we saw yesterday.

Maybe not as soon as the next game, but certainly in the long term. It all comes down to the details of the role..