Name your SA/Benin squad

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Name your SA/Benin squad

Post by Enugu II »

I believe that Finidi George has a clear idea on how Nigeria’s team should be structured going forward. He showed a glimpse of it in the two international friendlies under his charge. Although he was short of pertinent personnel for those two games, but his ideas are clear. In summary, as he has noted, Nigeria should be the one with the front foot forward. This is remarkably different from what we often witnessed under Gernot Rohr. Even Peseiro, somewhat, adopted Rohr’s approach after early poor results when using a more aggressive system. For Finidi, while he intends to be aggressive as Peseiro did earlier on, there is a major difference. Finidi will be cautious, and that tweak can be identified in the personnel that he will use.

First, Finidi will use three center backs as did Peseiro at the AFCON but the difference in use of personnel will be glaring on who plays at the wide positions when Nigeria has the ball and also who is the primary ball feeder behind two strikers. He will not use one striker as Peseiro did throughout the AFCON. This is a significant change in philosophy.

Structurally, Finidi will use 3-5-2 when attacking and 5-4-1 when defending. In essence, the wide players when attacking will drop back defensively to create a 5-person wall and one of the two strikers shall drop into midfield when the team defends. To do this, there must be a change in personnel. Clearly, there are Nigerian players that are so offensive minded that it is pulling teeth trying to get them to defend credibly. These players largely played as wingers under previous coaches. Under Finidi, they will be pushed into the middle or striking position or start from the bench. The challenge is what you do with a player such as Samuel Chukwueze. Chukwueze is not a good striker of the ball and will be the odd man out in this new structural iteration.
Ademola Lookman
Victor Boniface
Then how about Ademola Lookman? In my view, Lookman will get the first shot to play beside Osimhen. He should be ahead of Boniface but only barely. Why? He showed during the AFCON that he is a valuable striker and more importantly, his play at AFGCON was 110 which he had not shown prior to that time. Thus, he is likely to be the starter besides Osimhen and not Boniface. Nevertheless, I somehow feel that Boniface will ultimately be the difference maker from that position because of his physique and his hunger. However, this is only potential because Boniface has not shown any of that while in the GWG.

Based on the above, my guess of how the team lines up for a start is as follows:

Attacking set up 3-5-2

---------------------------------------------Nwabali-------------------------------------

Ajayi ------------------------------------- Ekong (cpt) -------------------------Bassey

Aina ----------------------Ndidi ------------------------- Onyeka---------------Zaidu
-------------------------------------------Iwobi-------------------------------------------

--------------------------------Lookman/Boniface------Osimhen---------------------
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
bushboy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bushboy »

We won't see our best team. Finidi would have made some promises to a few of his Eyimba players that he will help them. I expect to see a few surprise names in the squad under the guise of "giving home based players a chance" or "saving money on plane tickets"
Bushboy's bushmen : 1.Isaac Success 2. Terem Moffi 3. Victor Boniface 4. Samuel Omorodion. 5. Samson Tijani. 6. Rafiu Durosinmi.
Who will be next?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

bushboy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:16 pm We won't see our best team. Finidi would have made some promises to a few of his Eyimba players that he will help them. I expect to see a few surprise names in the squad under the guise of "giving home based players a chance" or "saving money on plane tickets"
I am not sure it will happen now but likely under his tenure. If it helps to build local teams for upcoming competitions, then it is not a bad move especially when these internationals restrict number of players who can play in an actual game. Search the thread for discussion on this issue recently.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

I'm seeing a squad leak already making rounds on social media with interesting reports of new invitations handed to the likes of Maduka Okoye (making a return) and debut call up's for Arthur Okonkwo, Chuba Akpom, Tosin Adabarabioyo, Caleb Okoli, Gab Osho and Justin Njinmah. Of course I call junk journalism on the reports but it's everywhere now not to take notice of.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 am I'm seeing a squad leak already making rounds on social media with interesting reports of new invitations handed to the likes of Maduka Okoye (making a return) and debut call up's for Arthur Okonkwo, Chuba Akpom, Tosin Adabarabioyo, Caleb Okoli, Gab Osho and Justin Njinmah. Of course I call junk journalism on the reports but it's everywhere now not to take notice of.
I doubt such a list. That many new faces in crucial World Cup qualifiers? It does not pass the smell test, if you ask me.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

bushboy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:16 pm We won't see our best team. Finidi would have made some promises to a few of his Eyimba players that he will help them. I expect to see a few surprise names in the squad under the guise of "giving home based players a chance" or "saving money on plane tickets"
It's "Enyimba" not "Eyimba" for God's sake.
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

https://bsnsports.com.ng/post/Tosin-Ada ... Qualifiers

According to this article Tosin Adarabioyo, Justin Njinmah, Caleb Okoli and Gabriel Osho are four newly invited players to the Super Eagles' next two 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
If true it would be awesome, but it's strange to see so many new faces.
Is it fake or real?
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

Enugu II wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 pm
Tobi17 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 11:04 am I'm seeing a squad leak already making rounds on social media with interesting reports of new invitations handed to the likes of Maduka Okoye (making a return) and debut call up's for Arthur Okonkwo, Chuba Akpom, Tosin Adabarabioyo, Caleb Okoli, Gab Osho and Justin Njinmah. Of course I call junk journalism on the reports but it's everywhere now not to take notice of.
I doubt such a list. That many new faces in crucial World Cup qualifiers? It does not pass the smell test, if you ask me.
I doubt too.
Among them who has already completed the nationality switch?
So far I'm sure that Okonkwo did it, and i don't know about Adarabioyo.
About the others I think they didn't even apply.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pindal123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:40 pm https://bsnsports.com.ng/post/Tosin-Ada ... Qualifiers

According to this article Tosin Adarabioyo, Justin Njinmah, Caleb Okoli and Gabriel Osho are four newly invited players to the Super Eagles' next two 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers.
If true it would be awesome, but it's strange to see so many new faces.
Is it fake or real?
"Luton Town playmaker, Gabby Osho" :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

pindal123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 3:47 pm
Enugu II wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:03 pm
I doubt too.
Among them who has already completed the nationality switch?
So far I'm sure that Okonkwo did it, and i don't know about Adarabioyo.
About the others I think they didn't even apply.
Osho hasn't played for England in any category, as I understand it. So he might not need to switch
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Well another reliable source are reporting the squad list is correct

https://www.instagram.com/p/C66ZdLdMO0c ... UxMzBkMA==
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

aruako1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:18 pm Osho hasn't played for England in any category, as I understand it. So he might not need to switch
Also Justin Njinmah has never played for Germany in ant category.
Anyway do we need him? I think that Peter Olayinka is a better player than him.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Agents trying to promote their clients. What make a source reliable or credible? I will be shocked if both Ajayi and Ekon are not invited. Some other reports say it is a 35 man list and 4 home based players are part of the provisional list.

Camp will open on May 28.
Ekong will have an event in Akwa Ibom on June 2nd.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm Well another reliable source are reporting the squad list is correct

https://www.instagram.com/p/C66ZdLdMO0c ... UxMzBkMA==
If true this would be the best list in a very long time. How reliable is this source ?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Finidi would be making a huge mistake if he invites a lot of new players at this stage. He has to fight off the selfish agents. Any one that didnt play for Nigeria at Afcon or in the two friendlies shouldn't be invited. You don't have time to experiment.

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

ohenhen1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:14 pm Finidi would be making a huge mistake if he invites a lot of new players at this stage. He has to fight off the selfish agents. Any one that didnt play for Nigeria at Afcon or in the two friendlies shouldn't be invited. You don't have time to experiment.
You wouldn't be "experimenting" if your starting 11 was all regulars.

I hope this list is true, but I doubt it.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Most of the players are regulars at their clubs with maybe one or two not been regulars.

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Most of the players are regulars at their clubs with maybe one or two not been regulars. The coach shouldn't be introducing himself to new players right now.

icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm I believe that Finidi George has a clear idea on how Nigeria’s team should be structured going forward. He showed a glimpse of it in the two international friendlies under his charge. Although he was short of pertinent personnel for those two games, but his ideas are clear. In summary, as he has noted, Nigeria should be the one with the front foot forward. This is remarkably different from what we often witnessed under Gernot Rohr. Even Peseiro, somewhat, adopted Rohr’s approach after early poor results when using a more aggressive system. For Finidi, while he intends to be aggressive as Peseiro did earlier on, there is a major difference. Finidi will be cautious, and that tweak can be identified in the personnel that he will use.

First, Finidi will use three center backs as did Peseiro at the AFCON but the difference in use of personnel will be glaring on who plays at the wide positions when Nigeria has the ball and also who is the primary ball feeder behind two strikers. He will not use one striker as Peseiro did throughout the AFCON. This is a significant change in philosophy.

Structurally, Finidi will use 3-5-2 when attacking and 5-4-1 when defending. In essence, the wide players when attacking will drop back defensively to create a 5-person wall and one of the two strikers shall drop into midfield when the team defends. To do this, there must be a change in personnel. Clearly, there are Nigerian players that are so offensive minded that it is pulling teeth trying to get them to defend credibly. These players largely played as wingers under previous coaches. Under Finidi, they will be pushed into the middle or striking position or start from the bench. The challenge is what you do with a player such as Samuel Chukwueze. Chukwueze is not a good striker of the ball and will be the odd man out in this new structural iteration.
Ademola Lookman
Victor Boniface
Then how about Ademola Lookman? In my view, Lookman will get the first shot to play beside Osimhen. He should be ahead of Boniface but only barely. Why? He showed during the AFCON that he is a valuable striker and more importantly, his play at AFGCON was 110 which he had not shown prior to that time. Thus, he is likely to be the starter besides Osimhen and not Boniface. Nevertheless, I somehow feel that Boniface will ultimately be the difference maker from that position because of his physique and his hunger. However, this is only potential because Boniface has not shown any of that while in the GWG.

Based on the above, my guess of how the team lines up for a start is as follows:

Attacking set up 3-5-2

---------------------------------------------Nwabali-------------------------------------

Ajayi ------------------------------------- Ekong (cpt) -------------------------Bassey

Aina ----------------------Ndidi ------------------------- Onyeka---------------Zaidu
-------------------------------------------Iwobi-------------------------------------------

--------------------------------Lookman/Boniface------Osimhen---------------------
thanks for this interesting write up. Question - Have you considered the pros of the pair of Lookman and Boniface with Oshimen starting from the bench? In my view, due to Lookman's work rate, goal scoring ability and to the point you made - ability to drop deep and link up, I see him as the least droppable of the trio. I know this may sound very crazy. Haven watched Boniface this season and someone was also kind enough to post his goals and assists - dare I say..that Boniface appears to be a better rounded striker. Like he now takes pens for Leverkusen, the goals he scored are headers, ground shots, chips etc. I don't see Oshimen chipping the keeper typically. Very curios to hear your thoughts. Oshimen is freakishly athletic and can jump like no other but...I think it may be a worthwhile experiment to have Boni start.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

icee wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:35 pm
Enugu II wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm I believe that Finidi George has a clear idea on how Nigeria’s team should be structured going forward. He showed a glimpse of it in the two international friendlies under his charge. Although he was short of pertinent personnel for those two games, but his ideas are clear. In summary, as he has noted, Nigeria should be the one with the front foot forward. This is remarkably different from what we often witnessed under Gernot Rohr. Even Peseiro, somewhat, adopted Rohr’s approach after early poor results when using a more aggressive system. For Finidi, while he intends to be aggressive as Peseiro did earlier on, there is a major difference. Finidi will be cautious, and that tweak can be identified in the personnel that he will use.

Ademola Lookman
Victor Boniface

Attacking set up 3-5-2

thanks for this interesting write up. Question - Have you considered the pros of the pair of Lookman and Boniface with Oshimen starting from the bench? In my view, due to Lookman's work rate, goal scoring ability and to the point you made - ability to drop deep and link up, I see him as the least droppable of the trio. I know this may sound very crazy. Haven watched Boniface this season and someone was also kind enough to post his goals and assists - dare I say..that Boniface appears to be a better rounded striker. Like he now takes pens for Leverkusen, the goals he scored are headers, ground shots, chips etc. I don't see Oshimen chipping the keeper typically. Very curios to hear your thoughts. Oshimen is freakishly athletic and can jump like no other but...I think it may be a worthwhile experiment to have Boni start.
Icee

No, I have not considered Osimhen on the bench. I think Osimhen and Iwobi are automatic starters except when injured or some other catastrophe. Close to those two will be the current goalie. They are the only untouchables at the moment, from my viewpoint.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

pindal123 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:38 pm
aruako1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:18 pm Osho hasn't played for England in any category, as I understand it. So he might not need to switch
Also Justin Njinmah has never played for Germany in ant category.
Anyway do we need him? I think that Peter Olayinka is a better player than him.
I have never watched him, but reading up on him and it seems he was very good at BVB II, last season and this season he has carried on with Werder Bremen.

As to whether we need a Bundesliga player - one with 6 goals/2 assist in 24 games in one of the 2 top leagues in Europe (Germany and Italy).. I am not sure how to respond to that.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
pindal123
Egg
Egg

Post by pindal123 »

23 players considering injuries and elegibility:

GK- Nwabili, Okoye, Okonkwo
CB- Ajayi, Torunarigha, Awaziem, Ogbu
LB- Bassey, Onyemaechi
RB: Aina, Osayi-Samuel
MF- Ndidi, Onyedika, Iwobi, Yusuf, Olawoyin, Dele-Bashiru
WG- Lookman, Tella, Chukwueze, Ejuke
FW- Osimhen, Boniface
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Chukwuze is rumored to have a hamstring injury. Which is tricky. It could take about 2 weeks. Should still be available. But it is tricky.
Osimhen missed training due to a muscle problem. he too could be tricky. But should be available.

Hopefully Osimhen is fit. But there is still no need to invite any new player to the team. Bonfiace, Moffi and Sad8q provide good depth.