Finidi George's Wages?.....Interesting.

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oluwaseye the 1st.
Egg
Egg
Re: Finidi George's Wages?.....Interesting.

Post by oluwaseye the 1st. »

The other countries don't have village people and most especially commercial kidnappers
Truth needs no support system, it can stand firmly on its legs!!

COYS
iworo
Egg
Egg

Post by iworo »

danfo driver wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:40 pm
wiseone wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:32 am I never understand why the press publishes details of someone’s salary. Surely that is confidential information under the contract?

The other bit of news that concerns me is Amokachi’s presence in the coaching team. His “analysis”
(if gisting like a guy in a bar deserves the name) while commentating at the AFCON showed he has gaps in his tactical knowledge large enough for a truck 🛻 convoy to drive through.
Public servant salaries are NOT confidential -- in ANY PART OF THE WORLD. Nigeria is the only place where you guys want to hide what your public officials make, so that we are unable to track their corruption.

In football, even private clubs and national teams publish salaries of players and coaches. Go online and type in a players name and "salary" and you will know how much they earn.
Well said. KPOM!
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Finidi George is not a public servant.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

oluwaseye the 1st. wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm The other countries don't have village people and most especially commercial kidnappers
Keshi had village people and commercial kidnappers but he was not afraid to go public with how much he was being paid.

We don’t want another false claim like local coaches being paid N1m that some supposedly educated people here still believe.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Lolly wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:41 pm
oluwaseye the 1st. wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 1:55 pm The other countries don't have village people and most especially commercial kidnappers
Keshi had village people and commercial kidnappers but he was not afraid to go public with how much he was being paid.

We don’t want another false claim like local coaches being paid N1m that some supposedly educated people here still believe.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
They believe it but can’t come out openly to confirm it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

It really is confidential. Employment contracts have confidentiality clauses barring the employer and employee from disclosing confidential information about each other. The employee’s salary is probably the most confidential information in the contract. There is a reason why your employer does not publish your salary in the local newspaper.

The “salaries” of other national team coaches that tabloids post are “guesstimates” based on hunch and intuition, and vary widely. I have eg. never heard the FA tell anyone what Gareth Southgate’s salary is.
Lolly wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 pm
Is it really confidential information? Almost every country’s national team coach’s remuneration is public knowledge. What is there to hide?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

wiseone wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:43 pm It really is confidential. Employment contracts have confidentiality clauses barring the employer and employee from disclosing confidential information about each other. The employee’s salary is probably the most confidential information in the contract. There is a reason why your employer does not publish your salary in the local newspaper.

The “salaries” of other national team coaches that tabloids post are “guesstimates” based on hunch and intuition, and vary widely. I have eg. never heard the FA tell anyone what Gareth Southgate’s salary is.
Lolly wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:45 pm
Is it really confidential information? Almost every country’s national team coach’s remuneration is public knowledge. What is there to hide?
Wiseone,

What you state above is not always accurate. It depends on the situation.

Let me give a USA example (not sure what the Nigerian rule is). In the USA, a public official's salary is not confidential. The Freedom of Information (FOI) allows media to access and publish that information, as long as the official works for the state and therefore is paid by the public. The public has the right to know. Information on wages earned by all university officials in the State of Maryland is public and published, for instance, by the student newspaper --- Diamondback -- of the University of Maryland.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Exactly. He missed the first game against Spain 🇪🇸 due to injury, played in the second match against Bulgaria 🇧🇬, then missed the rest of the tournament. When we consider that Kanu was returning from a heart operation and was not match fit, and Yekini was in his mid-30s and unable to play more than 15-20 minutes at the top level, that Nigerian squad was carrying several wounded.

The selection of injured/unfit players was bizarre given that Jonathan Akpoborie was top scoring in the Bundesliga and in the prime of his career - yet was excluded from the squad for some mysterious reason.
packerland wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:38 pm
Kpom! The guy offers nothing. Let’s not forget that he forced his way into that 98 WC team despite having a serious knee injury. The guy was basically on one leg.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

What on earth does the salary of a University of Maryland employee have to do with the salary of a professional football coach? :shock: Do American university professors coach the national football team on weekends? You are comparing apples 🍏 to oranges 🍊.

eg. Gareth Southgate and Didier Deschamps do not work for the English or French 🇫🇷 civil service, nor are they university professors.

I challenge you to go on the FA website and find a link where the FA has ever disclosed Southgate’s salary. If they did that Southgate would probably resign, sue them for breach of contract AND for violating the Data Protection Act.
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 pm
Wiseone,

Let me give a USA example (not sure what the Nigerian rule is). In the USA, a public official's salary is not confidential. The Freedom of Information (FOI) allows media to access and publish that information, as long as the official works for the state and therefore is paid by the public. The public has the right to know. Information on wages earned by all university officials in the State of Maryland is public and published, for instance, by the student newspaper --- Diamondback -- of the University of Maryland.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Wow, I thought it will be easy to see the link. Please let's not get hung up on professor's wages. I could have used just any other example. The key is not professor but State funded position. This state funded position could be a coacvh (as in this case), messenger, medical doctor, or otherwise.

Here is the link
1. Both the NFF and the State Universities are funded by taxpayer's funds.
2. The university professors in question WORK for the state and thusd are on public fuinds.
3. The foootball manager in this case WORKS for the state (NIGERIA) and thus paid through taxpayers funds. If we are talking about the wages of football coach at Remo Stars (private club) then there may not a right to know for the public.
4. The funder -- taxpayers -- want to know how their funds are expended.
5. The Nigerian coach, just like state university professors, are paid through taxpayers'' funds.
6. Taxpayers have a right to know how those funds are expended. The key is whether the individual is paid through public funds or not.

I hope the above makes the link clear. Now, what I am unsure about is whether this right to know is applicable to the Nigerian situation.

Just to add, professors at private universities in the USA do not have their salaries disclosed because there is no public right to know.
wiseone wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:12 pm What on earth does the salary of a University of Maryland employee have to do with the salary of a professional football coach? :shock: Do American university professors coach the national football team on weekends? You are comparing apples 🍏 to oranges 🍊.

eg. Gareth Southgate and Didier Deschamps do not work for the English or French 🇫🇷 civil service, nor are they university professors.

I challenge you to go on the FA website and find a link where the FA has ever disclosed Southgate’s salary. If they did that Southgate would probably resign, sue them for breach of contract AND for violating the Data Protection Act.
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 7:00 pm
Wiseone,

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:26 pm

Yes. We would rather believe the coaches than the NFF
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Your 3 below is absolutely wrong (and your 1 and 5 are almost as wrong).

Finidi George is not a government employee. FIFA’s rules ban political interference with national football associations. This is why FIFA banned Nigeria 🇳🇬 from its competitions after President Jonathan “dissolved” the team after the poor 2010 World Cup performance (FIFA has also banned other countries whose governments interfered in the affairs of their football federation).

There is a reason why Buhari did not appoint Peseiro and Tinubu did not appoint Finidi George as the national team head coach.

While many governments fund their national teams, direct management and control will get them in trouble with FIFA. That is why you do not see Gareth Southgate’s name on the list of UK 🇬🇧 civil service employees or Finidi George’s name in the official Gazettes of the Federation.
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:25 pm Wow, I thought it will be easy to see the link. Please let's not get hung up on professor's wages. I could have used just any other example. The key is not professor but State funded position. This state funded position could be a coacvh (as in this case), messenger, medical doctor, or otherwise.

Here is the link
2. The university professors in question WORK for the state and thusd are on public fuinds.
3. The foootball manager in this case WORKS for the state (NIGERIA) and thus paid through taxpayers funds. If we are talking about the wages of football coach at Remo Stars (private club) then there may not a right to know for the public.
5. The Nigerian coach, just like state university professors, are paid through taxpayers'' funds.
6. Taxpayers have a right to know how those funds are expended. The key is whether the individual is paid through public funds or not.

I hope the above makes the link clear. Now, what I am unsure about is whether this right to know is applicable to the Nigerian situation.

Just to add, professors at private universities in the USA do not have their salaries disclosed because there is no public right to know.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Wiseone,

Let us assume, for a moment, that the rule that I point to is applicable to Nigeria. As I have noted, I am not even sure that it does. But lets assume for a moment that it does. Then think about the public interest as is demonstrated even here on CE, then you will understand why there is media interest in knowing these issues. Conversely, there is hardly media interest in digging into the pay of a Federal Commissioner who is also a public official.

In Nigeria, football is largely and is still funded by the state. In fact, unlike the payment for Rohr which was funded via private entity (Oil company), the funding for Peseiro and now for Finidi are through the state and, thus, through the Nigerian people. Why do you think the NFF had to consult the Sports Ministry before making this appointment? Now, this is not to deny that the NFF is not still purportedly pseudo-independent of the state. It is but an acknowledgement that the NFF is still largely funded by the state and thus by the Nigerian public.

You mention issues of state interference. I agree with you that it can land Nigeria into trouble. But here is it the state imposing itself or the NFF going cap-in-hand begging for the State to interfere by funding a position that it claims that the NFF cannot fund? Think about that. Now the NFF gets the public funds to support its hiring of a manager and you think it makes no sense to let the public that provided the funds know how their funds are expended? This ain't funds from some Oil company that was used to pay Gernot Rohr!

Finally, please note that the English FA is not comparable to the NFF or any of the African FA. The English FA and others in Europe are largely independent of government control because they fully fund their own activities. The NFF and several African FAs remain tettered to the state for funding. That difference matters.
wiseone wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 pm Your 3 below is absolutely wrong (and your 1 and 5 are almost as wrong).

Finidi George is not a government employee. FIFA’s rules ban political interference with national football associations. This is why FIFA banned Nigeria 🇳🇬 from its competitions after President Jonathan “dissolved” the team after the poor 2010 World Cup performance (FIFA has also banned other countries whose governments interfered in the affairs of their football federation).

There is a reason why Buhari did not appoint Peseiro and Tinubu did not appoint Finidi George as the national team head coach.

While many governments fund their national teams, direct management and control will get them in trouble with FIFA. That is why you do not see Gareth Southgate’s name on the list of UK 🇬🇧 civil service employees or Finidi George’s name in the official Gazettes of the Federation.
Enugu II wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:25 pm Wow, I thought it will be easy to see the link. Please let's not get hung up on professor's wages. I could have used just any other example. The key is not professor but State funded position. This state funded position could be a coacvh (as in this case), messenger, medical doctor, or otherwise.

Here is the link

Last edited by Enugu II on Tue May 14, 2024 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:42 pm

We know you don’t really believe the “N1m” story as it pertains to the coaches in question, but the coconut lawyer head in you no go ‘gree you concede. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
The coaches in question: Siasia, Keshi and Oliseh.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Damunk wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 pm

We know you don’t really believe the “N1m” story as it pertains to the coaches in question, but the coconut lawyer head in you no go ‘gree you concede. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
If that makes you sleep better at night. Good luck believing the NFF.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dem plenty for here.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:10 pm

Dem plenty for here.
Yes, fully reporting for duty. I'll believe Siasia and Oliseh ahead of the NFF.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

aruako1 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:18 pm

Dem plenty for here.
Aruako

I have loved the CE discourse on this very matter. This is the way discourses should be. It brings illumination to the issue. Not only have figures been brought to the fore but they have been dissected with rationales brought to bear.
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Enugu II wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:42 pm

Dem plenty for here.
Aruako

I have loved the CE discourse on this very matter. This is the way discourses should be. It brings illumination to the issue. Not only have figures been brought to the fore but they have been dissected with rationales brought to bear.
Which figures were "dissected" with rationales brought to bear? Aruako still believes Siasia was paid N1m per month. Bros, leave these games to the usual suspects.

But we are now hearing that the N1m figure is being banded about because of village people and kidnappers. :lol:

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:29 am

Dem plenty for here.
Aruako

Which figures were "dissected" with rationales brought to bear? Aruako still believes Siasia was paid N1m per month. Bros, leave these games to the usual suspects.
I believe what Siasia said he was laid over the NFF's version. And that is not unreasonable.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

aruako1 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 9:31 am

I believe what Siasia said he was laid over the NFF's version. And that is not unreasonable.
Guy, forget “the NFF”.
Is this “the NFF” too?

That’s just one of several non-NFF ‘sauces’ found in a 20 second google search. :D

You’re using “the NFF” as a clever distraction technique.
You be lawyer nah. But some of us are trained to avoid you people’s ‘traps’ in court. :taunt:

Odawise una fit send us wey be witness enter jail with accused. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Dem plenty for here.
Aruako

Where is the link to the NFF version?

Also a link to where Siasia mentioned how much he was paid.

Thanks.

aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Lolly wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:57 am
Damunk wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:13 pm We know you don’t really believe the “N1m” story as it pertains to the coaches in question, but the coconut lawyer head in you no go ‘gree you concede. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Dem plenty for here.
Aruako

Where is the link to the NFF version?

Also a link to where Siasia mentioned how much he was paid.

Thanks.
I believe what Siasia said in the interview that was posted here. I didn't talk about anything else.