How Falcons may play against Ghana

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ikwerreman
Egg
Egg
How Falcons may play against Ghana

Post by ikwerreman »

Like i promised sometime ago, i said i would properly disect Mabo's Falcons 45 man team list and see how i think the players will feature against Ghana.
When the Falcons lost out at the WWC and the other Falcons won the AAG there were lots of debates bordering on who had the better team, Mabo or Okpodu.
What i want to do here is just my idea of how i think the team will line against Ghana- at least i have followed the Falcons closely for so long now.

Goal keepers

Precious Dede, Ann Chiejine, Oge Onyinanya, Lizzy Johnson.

I will strike Lizzy Johnson out and work on the other three.
This is one place i think, MAbo will have a problem of Choice.
Ann Chiejine has always been Mabo's favorite and that is why he recalled her dispite her being dropped by Okpodu and her not too impressive outing at the Super Six.
He thinks she is still the best in the country and he also believe so much in her experience.
But Precious Dede was at the last World Cup.
She di not leave Nigeria as First choice but she took the shirt away from Ugochi Opara and the whole world saw how well she performed at the Mundial.
Then there is Oge Onyinanaya who was his number one at the AAg.
Though she was not tested until the final game against South Africa, she is also good enough for the shirt.
I tell you i willbe confident with any of these three wearing the number one shirt on that day, but i think Ann will get it.

Dede has a bad knee which might scuttle her chances of getting the number one shirt and Oge has not really had real match experience.
I see Ann starting the game and Dede deputising.

Defence

Eberechi Opara, Felicia Eze, Chima Nwosu, Yinka Kudaisi, Celestina Onyeka, MArtha Abara, Kikelomo Ajayi, Ayisat Yusuf, Faith Ikidi , Glory Keshi.

Of this list we have just Felicia Eze in right full back and maybe Yinka Kudaisi who played that role at the WWC '99.

With Florence Iweta dropped from the team after the World Cup, I see Felicia Eze stepping in to the right Full back. Before you ask if Felicia Eze is good, i would ask you to watch Cafu, and that is how Felicia Eze can best be described.

Kike Ajayi, Celestina Onyeka and Ayisat Yusuf are all left full backs.

CElestina played the role during the All Africa Games but her form can be erratic at times.

Kike who was played wrongly in central defence by Okpodu at the WWC will surely return to her more familiar left full back while the Central defence will surely have two returnees- Eberechi Opara and Yinka Kudaisi.
Sinice i do not know what Eberechi's form is like having not seen her play since she left for the US in 2000, i may opt for Chima NWosu who excelled at the AAG in case Eberechi Opara is not up to it.
I hear Eberachi is still trying to recover from two surgeries she has had on her knee since going to the US.
If the knee is still that bad, then the team may have to opt for the AAG formation of Yinka Kudaisi and Chima NWosu.
MArtha Abara of Rivers Angels could also get a look in if she over comes her knee injury sustained during the Super six.

glory KEshi is a dreamer who would only play for the team in one of such night mares.

Midfield

Maureen Mmadu, Gloria Usieta, Semola Akinlose, Ifeanyi Chiejine, Ajuma Ameh, Titilayo Mekuleyi, Omon Ighodaro, Akudo Sabi, Gift Otuwe, Maureen Eke, Effionwan Ekpo and Perpetua Nkwocha.

Effionwan Ekpo may just grab her defensive midfield role if Greece based Gloria Usieta and Sabi Akudo do not wrest it from her.
Gloria Usieta is 6 foot 2 and i describe her to any one who does not know her as a female PAtrick Viera... yes that is her style.
And Sabi Akudo's passing is second to none.
I hardly saw a wrong pass at the AAG and Super Six and her confidence on the ball is out of this world.
Effionwan needs to sit up and regain her confidence if she is to get a look in by Mabo.
Ekpo could not quite live it up at the WWC and she really has to raise her game to be picked ahead of the others.
I spoke with Usieta two days ago and she said she is still not sure she will make it for the match.
Her club, Kavala 86 play on the 25th of January and she does not know if she will be released for the game
MAureen Mmadu who used to be the Okocha of the team will face a stiff challenge from Titi Mekuleyi and Ajuma Ameh.
Titi's problem is she fails to rise to the ocassion when a lot is expected of her and for Ajuma she just needs to play with more confidence.
If any of you watched European football in the late eighties and early nineties then you might know Paulo Futre. That is Titi Mekuleyi for you.
I think Maureen Mmadu will get the starting shirt ahead of Ajuma and Titi.

I see PAtience Avre starting on the right ahead of Stella Mbachu while PEpetual Nkwocha starts on the left.
I prefer perpetua playing wide becuase she can run at defenders.

Attackers

I will root for Mercy Akide any day as my arrow head in attack.
She is big, she is strong and she's got massive ball skills. She also fear no foe.
Nkechi Egbe is also big and strong but i doubt the level of her intelligence on the ball as compared to Akide.
Olaitan Yusuf who is doubtful for the tie is more of an Emilio Butragueno kind of player.
Just when you think it is safe to relax a while, she pops up and nods what was a seemin harmless pull out in.
Olaitan's set back is just strength which she has little of.
Vera Okolo is fast on the ball and can run rings around defences, but aside that, she is hardly intelligent and her small frame will make it very difficult for her to compete on the world stage.
Blessing Igbojionu and Juliana Ekwerike were the live wires of the AAG team but i think this is another league Rita Nwadike excelled at the AAG too, but i have always been bothered about her staying power.
Most of the foreign based players i have spoken to say they still need Rita in the team, but lets wait and see.
Saidat Adegoke was one of the top scorers in the female league and had a stint with a Danish club along with Ndidi Kanu, Stella Godwin and Onye Chibuzor, but i think she will have more stake with the under nineteen team.
Idoreyin Okon is also and under nineteen material.
2003 is her first season in the league and she runs well, controls the ball well and packs great shots with both feet.
But her time is surely not now.

From all i have done here,
Our starting eighteen may look like this

-------------------Ann Chiejine
Felicia Eze-----Yinka Kudaisi-----Chima Nwosu-----Kike Ajayi

----------------------Effionwan Ekpo

PAtience Avre---- Maureen Mmadu-----Pepetua Nkwocha

------------MErcy Akide----------Olaitan/ Rita NWadike

Subs
PRecious Dede, MArtha Abara, Eberechi Opara, Sabi Akudo, Gloria Usieta, Stella Mbachu, Ajuma Ameh, Nkechi Egbe.

If it means anything, from this list i see ten WWC Falcons and Six from the AAG.
Two were neither here nor there
Last edited by ikwerreman on Wed Dec 31, 2003 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fourteen
Egg
Egg

Post by Fourteen »

Don't u mean 45 woman team list?
Like i promised sometime ago, i said i would properly disect Mabo's Falcons 45 man[/] team list
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Lefak wrote:Don't u mean 45 woman team list?
Like i promised sometime ago, i said i would properly disect Mabo's Falcons 45 man[/] team list

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

Me sef i wan invite 95 players to camp for the Female U-19 team :D :D :D :D :D
Soldier of Fortune...
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

IK,

I will add my own points and views later on...Make i take time read am well well...

But one thing that should be done is the defence, defensive midfield and central midfield needs to be tightened up this time around and also the team needs players with good decisions on the ball and also who can control the midfield when the game gets tight at times...
Soldier of Fortune...
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

What happened to Ifeanyi Chiejine(sp)? Is she injured?

I can't believe that there are better players than Eberechi Opara on that D-Line...

I would love the beautiful duo of Kike and Eberechi for that middle....
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Cellular i spoke with Ifeanyi last night.
The knee still worries her but she said she will report in camp anyway and let the team doctor and coaches decide if she should play.
She also said she used the knee at the WWC and has been training with it so she doesnt see why she cannot play against Ghana with it.
About Eberechi, it is not #$% if there are better defenders here, its just that no one, not even MAbo is sure of her present form.
WE know she has had two knee surgeries in the last two years and we dont know how well she plays right now.
I spoke with MAbo this morning and he said he would only judge her from what he see from Sunday when the camp opens.
All things being equal, Eberechi should easily pick one of the shirts, but she has to be fit and in good form
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Ikwerreman, Thank you! You do well
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

By the way who is keeping in goal Ann or Precious...? :?:
Soldier of Fortune...
Robbynice

Post by Robbynice »

MI5 wrote:By the way who is keeping in goal Ann or Precious...? :?:
Precious IMO is it jo. Apart from the fact that she is fine, she can also keep. :)
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Robbynice wrote:
Precious IMO is it jo. Apart from the fact that she is fine, she can also keep. :)

Ann will keep.
At least from feelers i am getting.
It will really be a difficult choice and if they all impress in camp Ann will get the nod for her experience.
I spoke with PRecious last night and she said her knee injury worries are over.
She also said she is not aware of any competition for shirts at the Falcons Camp.
According to her, "I want us to win and win well against Ghana because i want to play at the Olympics. If it will take me or maama (Ann) or Oge being in goal let that person keep and make sure we win the match.
But like i said, i'll be confident with any of the three that starst the match.
Its justt that it will be difficult to ignore Precious especially after the owrld cup
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

Ikwerreman---I have a problem with your lineup. In my possesion in the States-I have 6 matches of tapes played under SAM-OKPODU in Nigeria and 5 matches of TAPES under MAB0-(AAG MATCHES).

GOALKEEPRES:ANN CHIEJIENE: There is no way Ann Chiejine will keep for Nigeria if Precious DeDe and Ogechi Onyenenya are in camp. That lady has no Business been there in my opinion. The last time i saw Ann in Goal for Nigeria was in 2002 in Warri agaist S.AFRICA AND MALI. The Ann I saw can be compare to the Dede and Ogechi. Dede is just AWESOME--I like the Confidence of Ogechi in Goal.

DEFENCE: I have no problem with your pick on this one. Felicia Eze-Yinka Kudaisi and Chima Nwosu played fantastic in AAG MATCHES.

MIDFIELD: Did you watch the LAST WC IN U.S? Effionman Ekpo just did n't caught it with me. Akudo Sabi nad Ajuma Ameh are my pick here. 2002 matches in Warri was the introduction of Ekpo to Women Soccer in Nigeria -I just think that this Dimunitive midfielder was Overhyped by Nigerian Media.

MAUREEN MADU--For God sake, why in the hell was she invited? Instead of Madu I wll play SEMOLA AKINLOSE--This sista got skills. We have no midfield in the last WC. MADU PUT HER FOOT WRONG WHENEVER SHE WAS IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL. Her and Nkirru Okosieme.

PATIENCE AVRE: This chic just doesn't caught it with me. Competition bt her and Stella Mbachu will be interesting to see. Avre was a disaster in Warri if you remember all the matches she featured.

STRIKERS
: I have no problem with your pick here. Juliana Ekwerike is outside looking in.

JUST MY OPINION.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

By china acheru
Contributing Editor

MABO WORRIES ABOUT OLAITAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Falcons of Nigeria Chief Coach, Ismaila Mabo says he is worried about the current form of striker Yusuf Olaitan who just left to the US to pursue an academic career.
Olaitan Yusuf left the shores of Nigeria about three weeks ago, after gaining admission to Geogia State University on Scholarship and Coach Mabo says he is worried about her present state.

He told www.nigeriasports.com that he does not know if she has settled down enough to honour the match and be in the right shape.

"I know she left Nigeria some time in early December but that is the much i know about her. I should get a clearer picture within the next two weeks and if i am certain she cannot come, I will have to look for a replacement for her"

Mabo said he was not consulted before she she left because he had never tried to interfere with players' career moves.

"I'm not one to say if Olaitan's US move is the best for her at this time because I try not to intefere in their career moves. I beleive every footballer knows what is best for her career so i just wish them the best in whatever decision they make."

MY TAKE: HE SHOULD BE WORRY ABOUT ALL THE INVITED FOREIGN BASED PLAYERS--NOTHING IS GOING ON IN WOMEN SOCCER IN THE STATES--NOTHING.
Enugu II

Post by Enugu II »

Ikwerreman:

I agree with you that Kudaisi played spectacularly at the AAG but as you know she has serious questions when it comes to pace. IMO, playing her in the middle may appear to be a way to hide her but it could well turn into a disaster against the Ghanaians. Why is she preferred to Kike Ajayi at that position?
MI5
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by MI5 »

IK,

Ann should be the goalkeeping coach and not trying to compete with the new keepers coming up through the ranks. Ann is not very consistent in goal. I saw this trend in WC'99 and Sydney 2000 Olympics she keeps one game like Oliver Khan and the next game she is keeps like Dudek from Liverpool. I won't say much and see how things turn out in two games we will be playing against Ghana. I believe Mabo should be grooming Precious, Ogechi and Okhai to perfection because this are the future goalkeepers of tomorrow that will man the post in years to come plus the keeper don't know her name who kept in the AAG games...?

I hope Mabo is treating this game against Ghana with everything his got because since we are playing the first leg in Lagos we have to win that decisively or the second leg will be a battle to the end since Ghana is now confidence based on their fine displays in this WC'03.

I go stay tuned sha to see how things work out....

ikwerreman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Ann will keep.
It will really be a difficult choice and if they all impress in camp Ann will get the nod for her experience.
She also said she is not aware of any competition for shirts at the Falcons Camp.
According to her, "I want us to win and win well against Ghana because i want to play at the Olympics. If it will take me or maama (Ann) or Oge being in goal let that person keep and make sure we win the match.
Its justt that it will be difficult to ignore Precious especially after the owrld cup
Last edited by MI5 on Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soldier of Fortune...
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Guys, i'll answer all your questions and petitions, but let me run.
For God's sake its new years day and i brother needs a break.
M15, Guest and EnuguII, we'll chat.
I have spoken individually with Ann, Dede and Oge and you guys can hear what they are saying about the "competition there will be for the keeper's shirt.
I have also spoken to Mabo on how he see the match.
And Guest, i saw the way you disected my line up.
Like i said, that is the way i think the Falcons will play.
I'll be in Ibadan after the first week of the Camp, because MAbo will decamp 20 players after the first week to concentrate on strategy and team work on the 25 left.
After that, i will draw up the way i would want them to play.
but let see how it goes.
I may be back on line later today or tommorrow
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

IK
Looking forward to your post on this one.
mystic

Post by mystic »

Ikwerreman:

Thanks for a great report.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

[quote="GUEST"]Ikwerreman---I have a problem with your lineup. In my possesion in the States-I have 6 matches of tapes played under SAM-OKPODU in Nigeria and 5 matches of TAPES under MAB0-(AAG MATCHES).

GOALKEEPRES:ANN CHIEJIENE: There is no way Ann Chiejine will keep for Nigeria if Precious DeDe and Ogechi Onyenenya are in camp. That lady has no Business been there in my opinion. The last time i saw Ann in Goal for Nigeria was in 2002 in Warri agaist S.AFRICA AND MALI. The Ann I saw can be compare to the Dede and Ogechi. Dede is just AWESOME--I like the Confidence of Ogechi in Goal.

Guest your obsservations are in order.
For the goalkeepers, Ogechi was never really tested at the AAG, until the final match and unless you have watched her club games at Pelican Stars i dont see how you can judge her based on the AAG.
At the AWC in Warri, Ann like Gloria Usieta were going through and if you were in that kind of state you may not put up your best performance.
Dede was just awesome at the WWC, but does a player become a hero after three games?
Remember she still conceeded eleven goals in three games.
Like i said, i belive it will be between Ann and Dede.
MAbo might just give it to Ann because of her experience...but that will first depend on her performance in the camp.
By the time i get to Ibadan next week, i will be able to really assess them
Precious also has a bad knee which she claims has healed. but of course the team doctors will be the judge of that

MIDFIELD: Did you watch the LAST WC IN U.S? Effionman Ekpo just did n't caught it with me. Akudo Sabi nad Ajuma Ameh are my pick here. 2002 matches in Warri was the introduction of Ekpo to Women Soccer in Nigeria -I just think that this Dimunitive midfielder was Overhyped by Nigerian Media.

yes i watched the last WWC in US and Effionwan was a disaster and should have donme better, but which Falcons player did well at the WWC?
Sabi Akudo and Ajuma Ameh are cool. I fell in love with Akudo at the AAG and the Super Six and i have been asking since then, "Why Okpodu di not take her to the WWC"
Ameh is a very intelligent player, but i think she needs to be more forceful.
She's got good vision and she distributes well.

MAUREEN MADU--For God sake, why in the hell was she invited? Instead of Madu I wll play SEMOLA AKINLOSE--This sista got skills. We have no midfield in the last WC. MADU PUT HER FOOT WRONG WHENEVER SHE WAS IN POSSESSION OF THE BALL. Her and Nkirru Okosieme.

WEll, MAureen MMadu has been in it for quite sometime. Not exactly my idea of a national team midfielder but i just felt she would be used ahead of the others.
SEmola Akinlose was in devastatiing form during the AAG. The thing i loved about her was her confidence on tha ball and her commandiing presence in the midfield.
However at the Super Six i was shocked her club, Delta Quuens played her in defensive midfield all through and she was not quite as enterprising as she wqas at the AAG.
I really dont know about Semola making the starting line up

PATIENCE AVRE: This chic just doesn't caught it with me. Competition bt her and Stella Mbachu will be interesting to see. Avre was a disaster in Warri if you remember all the matches she featured.

Avre was a disater in Warri because she was really injured into that tourney and nobody cared to check.
Well, she was a disater at the AWC, but did you watch her at the WWC. She was not the bomb but she is one of the few players that will not stopp fighting until the finall whistle sounds.
She is also a die hard.
She takes every game seriosly.
Between Avre and Stella, i might pick Avre.

ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

Enugu II wrote:Ikwerreman:

I agree with you that Kudaisi played spectacularly at the AAG but as you know she has serious questions when it comes to pace. IMO, playing her in the middle may appear to be a way to hide her but it could well turn into a disaster against the Ghanaians. Why is she preferred to Kike Ajayi at that position?

Kudiasi is really slow to the ball.
Chima Nwosu really did all the running for her at the AAG.
But i like her confidence on the ball plus she hardly ever panicks
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by GUEST »

ikwereman--Your opinion is well taken and I respect that. I want you to know that nothing is happening in the states refering to women soccer. So, Mabo gotta be careful with the Akide and the rest--Foreign based players.
ikwerreman
Egg
Egg

Post by ikwerreman »

MI5 wrote:IK,

Ann should be the goalkeeping coach and not trying to compete with the new keepers coming up through the ranks. Ann is not very consistent in goal. I saw this trend in WC'99 and Sydney 2000 Olympics she keeps one game like Oliver Khan and the next game she is keeps like Dudek from Liverpool. I won't say much and see how things turn out in two games we will be playing against Ghana. I believe Mabo should be grooming Precious, Ogechi and Okhai to perfection because this are the future goalkeepers of tomorrow that will man the post in years to come plus the keeper don't know her name who kept in the AAG games...?

Ann is not as old as you guys think she is. She just started Early.
You are also right about her erractic form.
She is hardly consistent.
Between Ann And PRecious, Mabo must choose his best.
Ann's presence is needed no doubt to keep the rest on the edge.
If she gets the starting shirt, good, if not, i think PRecious Dede will represent well.
I only say she has a bad knee which she will hide from the coaches.
But lets see how it goes

I hope Mabo is treating this game against Ghana with everything his got because since we are playing the first leg in Lagos we have to win that decisively or the second leg will be a battle to the end since Ghana is now confidence based on their fine displays in this WC'03.

I go stay tuned sha to see how things work out....

ikwerreman wrote:
Robbynice wrote:

Ann will keep.
gagyes
Egg
Egg

Post by gagyes »

Ghana will win both matches in Lagos and Accra,b'cos they have a very experienced and well organised team.