CHUKWU MAY UNDERSTUDY--ALLARDYCE--WENGER

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell

Post by Bell »

PERSONAL INITIATIVE IS GREAT BUT...

...there's nothing wrong in the govt., knowing that it needs a special skill, paying fore the training. We need no further proof than the fact that some of you went "abroad" on scholarships. What is more companies do it as well. So while it would be great for prospective coaches to acquire skills on their own, I see nothing wrong if the govt. sponsors selected people.
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

Bell wrote:PERSONAL INITIATIVE IS GREAT BUT...

...there's nothing wrong in the govt., knowing that it needs a special skill, paying fore the training. We need no further proof than the fact that some of you went "abroad" on scholarships. What is more companies do it as well. So while it would be great for prospective coaches to acquire skills on their own, I see nothing wrong if the govt. sponsors selected people.
It is very wrong, another tax payers money going down the drain. He should have been sent to the class room way back in the 80s.
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Bell

Post by Bell »

FURTHER PROOF OF THE WRONGHEADEDNESS PREVAILING ON THIS SITE

Everybody is up in arms on the alleged plans by the NFA to have C3 and other coaches study the processes used at Highbury and the Reebok bt the resident coaches..

First ignire the fact that pro-FC's screaming murder now are the same band that had been calling for this kind of cooperative relationship in the past. I did suggest something similar years ago but it's not at the top of my list today.

But to understand the depth of silliness lingering among pro-FC's who seize every opportunity to criticize, recall that coaches worldwide , including the likes of Allardyce and Wenger, are invited to give presentations in institutions where coaches are developed. So what's wrong in C3 attending a one-man seminar/clinic.

And for all we know, it's not necessarily the case that he would swallow everything thrown at him. He could compare it with the way he does things throwing things that are inferior or do not apply, while adopting those that are superior and relevant.

And some see a problem with that. I'm stunned by the levl of madness here.
Bell
Bell

Post by Bell »

SIR VIC, PLEASE READ MY POSTS VERY CAREFULLY

I was making a general case, not specifically about C3.

By the way, ask your colleagues how many of them turned down academic scholarships when they were being given out by the govt, preferring to do it at their own initiative and cost.
Bell
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

There is no shame in it. Afterall, national team managers are all former club coaches and will return to clubs when the national assignment is over.
I however think that good as this may be, we might be better off investing in younger coaches.

Sir V wrote:It is a shame on our NFA to send our national coach to understudy a Club coach.
akomoje
Egg
Egg

Post by akomoje »

such a move would not exactly be a bad idea for nigerian football in general ... for the future, not CCC right now. the mere fact that we are having this debate and many forumers concur that its a good move for CCC is a testament to the fact that he is underqualified in certain areas. a manufacturing firm would never put an intern in charge of its whole line or else heads would roll. if CCC is interested in such a move, good for him but please leave the SE job for more qualified persons while you're at it.

i guess one positive that comes from this is that pro FCs and ICs alike agree that CCC lacks exposure to the game in certain areas.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and absolutely remove all doubt - Abe Lincoln
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

I don't get it. On one hand people bemoan Chukwu's lack of coaching expertise and implore him to go and receive training in Europe. On the other hand, they're calling this initiative a disgrace. :roll: Make your minds up guys.
Bell

Post by Bell »

AKAMOKE, POINT WELL TAKEN, BUT...

...let's not forget that ballyhooed coaches like Wenger himself are not above attending seminars/clinics to strengthen weaknesses. Yes, it's true that these attachments would benefit most those who are at the beginning of their careers but if it would help C3 become a better manager (since he's needed in the interim) I see nothing wrong with it.

Besides C3 is not exactly coming in with zero knowledge considering all his previous experiences. And, again, if all this highly-touted coaches are all that, how come it wasn't in evidence when they confronted Onigbinde in Japan? Afterall, with a little more preparation and less dissension, the SE could have sent some of these computerized teams home early.
Bell
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

what if CCC had won gold in Tunisia. It would be a disrespect then for him to go & understudy with Wenger. maybe Wenger would have come to Lagos for understudies.
Eagle Winged

Post by Eagle Winged »

omotori wrote:what if CCC had won gold in Tunisia. It would be a disrespect then for him to go & understudy with Wenger. maybe Wenger would have come to Lagos for understudies.
You're a funny man, ever thought of stand up? :mrgreen:
shaq
Egg
Egg

Post by shaq »

The Eguavoens and the Siasias would be better suited for these trainings, not someone who is supposed to be the chief coach of the SE.
I think it is a disgrace. The current chief coach of the SE is not supposed to be someone learning from a club manager.
He is supposed to already have is stuff together.
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

This is as crazy as taking a bunch of young, unexposed, newbies to WC '02 so they can gain experience. But du'h! The WC is meant to be a forum to showcase the creme de la creme of your country's soccer forces. Alas, as usual we have learnt nothing from past experiences!
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
HAWKEYE
Egg
Egg

Post by HAWKEYE »

.....Hmmmmmh!! on a lighter note.......

...You mean with all these rocket science and hard cum softwares measuring speed and flight of balls, no national team in Great Britain has beaten a SE trained by an LC this century.....?

.......Wonder how a typical EPL coach will analyse JJ 's backslip, height measuring dummy over the tallest Malian defender .......... and JJ isn't the only Nigerian capable of this. In my days there were at least 3 guys in he school team who could easily do same thing

........On a more serious note.........

The idea of attachment is good to upgrade and build the confidence of our coaches, but should be reserved for the younger ones like Eguavoen, Siasia etc, whilst CCC, if NFA still wants to retain him should go to Brazil and LEARN HOW TO DEVELOP different FORMATIONS TO ACCOMODATE THE TYPE OF PLAYERS AVAILABLE TO HIM, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND.

BRAZIL has time and time again brought different formations to the world .... remember the INTRO of 4:2:4 in the 60s and the Xmas tree formation they tried against Ireland only last week. CCC will benefit more from Brazil to upgrade this glaring deficiency.

Also i agree that our national coach should not be an understudy under the coaches of his national players. It doesn't sound proper!!
CAPTAIN HAWKINS
omotori
Egg
Egg

Post by omotori »

but what does it take to know playing JJ & Kanu together results in an unbalanced midfield. A few games of draughts at my Ojuelegba barber shop can teach CCC more about balanced midfield than Wenga or whats his name.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Training your coaches should be a standard procedure and not a one-off hastily arranged thing. Besides, coaches should be trained in batches.

The NFA should draw up a list of six coaches to be sent to understudy European head coaches immediately. This should have nothing to do with the Eagles, however, as the man being brought in will be the finished article.

The fact that Chukwu is even being debated is comical. The man should just be given a decent pay off and be given a "big man's" job at the Anambra State Sports Council.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Let's be honest here guys, it would make much more sense to send the younger coaches like Siasia, Eguoavon and Nwosu on these courses. Sign up an FC for five years and have these youngsters begin such intensive training in the hope that one of them might come through and prove he is good enough to take over.

Do you guys know that Gus Poyet has taken a few training sessions at Spurs of late. Before you know it, Gus will be ready to handle a national team, while Nigeria is still deceiving itself into believing that her ICs are up to the job.
Why should an FC be given 5 years? For what? Yearly contract is enough since that is the average rate of turnover for SE coaches. I'll really like to know why it is only an FC that is qualified to have a long term (5 years) contract while others (IC) are to be given 18 months.

I'm surprised that way you assume that no Nigerian IC knows how to use the computer! It shows that you are far from reality!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

It took Clemence Westerhoff five years to build the 1994 team. That is the way to go. You need a period of consistency, continuity and long term planning.

As per ICs, please forget them. We are still about eight years away from one of them being ready for the Eagles.

We are in this mess today because an FC was not appointed immediately after Bonfere was fired. Someone whoulkd have been brought in immediately and if that person had been in charge since 2001, we would have started seeing the results now.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:It took Clemence Westerhoff five years to build the 1994 team. That is the way to go. You need a period of consistency, continuity and long term planning.

As per ICs, please forget them. We are still about eight years away from one of them being ready for the Eagles.

We are in this mess today because an FC was not appointed immediately after Bonfere was fired. Someone whoulkd have been brought in immediately and if that person had been in charge since 2001, we would have started seeing the results now.
Ayo, you should be careful of making such categorical statements. How did you know that no IC will be ready in 8 years time.

Well, remember the same way you said that Enyeama cannot be ready until 2010. No one is even giving credit to the goalkeeper trainer that worked on Eyeama.

I am not a fan of CCC. However, you need to give credit for his performance in ANC 2004. You never expected him to go that far!

I am not against an FC. However, the FC must be able to deliver what CCC could not do. e.g, the FC should bring ANC 2006 gold within18 months. WC 2006 semi final berth. Anything short of these is money wasted. The IC's can do that at lower cost.

And please, we don't need just any coloured journey man to come and masquerade as an FC. Robson is not good enough to coach Eyimba. If we wan chop frog, make we chop the one wey get egg.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

wanaj0 wrote:
Ayo Akinfe wrote:It took Clemence Westerhoff five years to build the 1994 team. That is the way to go. You need a period of consistency, continuity and long term planning.

Ayo, you should be careful of making such categorical statements. How did you know that no IC will be ready in 8 years time.

Well, remember the same way you said that Enyeama cannot be ready until 2010. No one is even giving credit to the goalkeeper trainer that worked on Eyeama.

I am not a fan of CCC. However, you need to give credit for his performance in ANC 2004. You never expected him to go that far!

I am not against an FC. However, the FC must be able to deliver what CCC could not do. e.g, the FC should bring ANC 2006 gold within18 months. WC 2006 semi final berth. Anything short of these is money wasted. The IC's can do that at lower cost.

And please, we don't need just any coloured journey man to come and masquerade as an FC. Robson is not good enough to coach Eyimba. If we wan chop frog, make we chop the one wey get egg.
Do you think any of the folowing are good enough:

Glenn Hoddle
Claude Leroy
Ivica Osim
Tomislav Ivic
Dragoslav Stephanovic
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Training your coaches should be a standard procedure and not a one-off hastily arranged thing. Besides, coaches should be trained in batches.
On the contrary, I don't believe it's the NFA's job to train national team coaches. The more constructive thing to do is to hold coaching clinics in the off-season for ALL league coaches so as to raise the overall standard of play in the local league
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Hawkeye,

I think your response best sums it up.

The initiative is a very good one and I commend the NFA for finally engaging their thinking faculties BUT it is for the wrong ''personnel''. The NFA should be considering the likes of Eguaveon, Mutiu Adepoju, Steven Keshi for these kind of skill enhancement opportunities.

Personal sentiments aside, CCC should be retained for the sake of ''continuity'', he must be allowed to consolidate and build on the gains of Tunisia. At the same time a competent tactician should be drafted into the coaching team to work alongside CCC.

That IMO is the best receipe for progress.

Cheers
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mr Shows wrote:Hawkeye,

I think your response best sums it up.

The initiative is a very good one and I commend the NFA for finally engaging their thinking faculties BUT it is for the wrong ''personnel''. The NFA should be considering the likes of Eguaveon, Mutiu Adepoju, Steven Keshi for these kind of skill enhancement opportunities.

Personal sentiments aside, CCC should be retained for the sake of ''continuity'', he must be allowed to consolidate and build on the gains of Tunisia. At the same time a competent tactician should be drafted into the coaching team to work alongside CCC.

That IMO is the best receipe for progress.

Cheers
Even CCC himself has said this is his prefered solution. He said he wants to work with an FC and is prepared to work together with him for the betterment of the team. Whatever one says about CCC's technical aboility, he deserves 10 out of 10 for humility.

I just wish some of his supporters on this forum could act likewise.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Ayo, post the CV of the coaches you listed so that we can judge their suitability for the SE job. I'll like to see the laurels won and how long it took them to reach such achievements.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”